JETS FIRE OC JOHN MORTON (MERGED)

JetFreak89

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Yeah, you’re definitely not reading all the posts. 

I have zero problems not committing to unproductive OCs. Gailey earned a second year on merit then was dismissed when he could not do it again, that makes sense to me. Morton’s offense did not perform either so deuces to him too. This is good! They’re aggressive about getting results on offense and moving on quickly from what doesn’t work! Keep doing it and this offseason might take this team somewhere good. 

And what happens when they underachieve on defense ?

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The defense and offensive line too.

Even still some of the passes I saw from Petty this year were just embarrassing. I mean obviously a big part of it is that he just is not a starting QB, but seeing the same kind of throw (if I can find them easily will post) multiple times firmly put blame on playcalling. 

13 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Get it through your thick skull, all the progress our young offensive players made last year will be nullified by having to learn a new playbook. This has nothing to do with your 4 year vets.  The jets could run over your dog and your response would be , that's ok Jets I still have a cat.  

STFU.  Not only are you rude but you're sounding like a moron.

I am not the biggest John Morton fan, but this move defies logic as does basically everything the NY Jets do. So since the season has ended, let's take a look at "The Hat Trick" of stellar moves they have made so far:

* Extend Mac & Cheese for 2 years following back to back 5-11 seasons to show potential free agents stability within the organization (and in my opinion, the acceptance of failure, mediocrity, and losing)

* Declare on January 2 that there is no mandate to make the playoffs next season, basically authorizing failure 8 months before they play another game. (Again the acceptance of failure almost 1 year in advance)

* Now, after we were told they extended Mac & Cheese so that FA's would see stability and continuity, they actually let the moron HC fire the OC after only one season. I did not think Morton did as bad a job last season, as Bowles has done here over 3 seasons. Morton himself's firing is not the point here, it is the stability thing that drives me over the edge. They are so F O S! I mean if you are Kirk Cousins, Levian Bell, or any star offensive player, are you coming to this absolute mess of dysfunctionality. I am embarrassed to be a fan of this team and organization. They don't even try to hide their incompetence. I have not gone to a game nor bought anything Jets related in over 5 years now and probably will never again until they rid Florham Park of the private cult that seems to exist there where they actually force themselves into believing the absolute horse $hit that they purport to the media and us fans.

Continuity and stability, f**king a$$holes.

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Crappy head coaches always fire the coordinator to save themselves. Entire time Bowles has been here, even with Fitz's career season, this has been a run heavy offense. That's Bowles' influence. Not sure how you sell this job to Haley, or may be Bates is getting promoted or Arians is going to be here. Either way the offense has mostly sucked spare first 15 games or so of 2015 under Bowles. Don't expect much to change without a real QB and no good OL guys. Safeties, man!

Two years in a row the offensive coordinators get barbecued meanwhile Bowles skates

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

In reality what's the damn difference? We have no QB. And until we do all OC's will look meh. Morton was alright, nothing to go stir crazy over. He wasn't a scapegoat for a bad season, it was just a personality clash. 

Bowles is racking up a body count of ex-assistants. Scapegoat or not, he's rifling through guys as if he has had zero impact on the back-to-back 5-win seasons. I've worked with a lot of people that specialize in managing the perception of their worth, not producing. They cost organizations good people. Not arguing that Morton wasn't mediocre... but I feel like we can separate the performance angle from the pattern of throwing people under the bus. Especially since it was allowed with Rex for so long.

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Yeah, you’re definitely not reading all the posts. 

I have zero problems not committing to unproductive OCs. Gailey earned a second year on merit then was dismissed when he could not do it again, that makes sense to me. Morton’s offense did not perform either so deuces to him too. This is good! They’re aggressive about getting results on offense and moving on quickly from what doesn’t work! Keep doing it and this offseason might take this team somewhere good. 

Fair points, but still... what I just said to MDL + it seems silly to have high standards for the assistance and an unwillingness to retain them when they fail, when it's EXACTLY what you're doing with the HC. Seems like a double-standard, at least.

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Even still some of the passes I saw from Petty this year were just embarrassing. I mean obviously a big part of it is that he just is not a starting QB, but seeing the same kind of throw (if I can find them easily will post) multiple times firmly put blame on playcalling. 

Yeah, he sucked this year. Nothing inspiring really. 

9 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I understand that. Morton gave up end of a 23-0 score end of game that was obviously over. Bowles gave up, afraid, or just had no confidence in his team while it was still a game. I understand playing smart before the half if the game is close, or you are up. But being down 13-0, in a yr where you are already out of realistic playoff contention, there is no reason not to show some balls and let your players play, or try to get back into the game. 

Not saying you're wrong but think each coach played it wrong.  We all wanted to know why down 23 points he didn't open it up, let out new QB hey some real work.

It feels like it's going to be Haley.  I don't think it's a coincidence
that he was fired earlier in the day and then all of a sudden Morton is
gone.  Also Bowles and Haley were on Parcells staff in DAL

5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Someone should necro board posts on Schottenheiner during ‘06. Saaaaame thing with Morton, unproductive offense getting praised for being less terrible than expected. 

2006 Jets went 10-6.

2017 Jets went 5-11

2006 Jets had 1st round QB coming back from injury, 3 1st round OL (3 pro bowl caliber) Coles, Cotchery, Smith, Baker, Washington...the HC was in his first year

2017 Jets had journeyman back up QB, 5 sh*t OL, an UDFA as their best WR, no TE, Powell...the HC is in his third year after 2 5-11 seasons and just got an extension 

your comparative post is very bad in many ways

41 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Bowles felt Morton was too pass-reliant, a sentiment echoed in the locker room. Several players were unhappy with his play calling throughout the season, ESPN reported on Jan. 1. He "thinks we're the New Orleans Saints, playing in a dome," one player said, alluding to Morton's previous team.

Members of the coaching staff also clashed with Morton, sources said. They expressed concern about his ability to design and execute a consistent running game.

The breaking point may have been the Week 12 loss to the Carolina Panthers, when the Jets failed to score a touchdown after three incomplete passes in a row from the 1-yard line. Bowles was furious with the play calling, sources said.

So basically Forte got Morton fired.

A 100% D minded HC doesn’t like a OC Who passes 1st in a passing league. Where have we seen this before ? Remember that is why Rex brought in tony sparano. What a disaster. Does Bowles not know we didn’t have a great rb, didn’t have a great run OL. What else was Morton to do with nothing to Work with ? Maybe if we had used “ some “ quality draft picks on Oline and a Rb, we could have ran more. But of course the Dcord HC says picks only D in early rounds.

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

This organization accepts mediocrity but will always make the OC the scapegoat even if the team doing crappy isn’t their fault

What if Morton was negotiating with Gruden, behind the Jets back, and it came back to them? Still play the scapegoat angle?

28 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yeah but supposedly the players and coaches disliked Morton , why would they replace him with Haley who's been hated at multiple places he has worked. 

there's that, plus the fact that Haley can also be a pass heavy coordinator. I think it's Goodwin. Arians is already signing up for TC, he's OC is now jobless I presume (Harold Goodwin).... and they ran the ball effectively in 'zona -- though DJ had a lot to do with that. 

I love Haley, but i'd say smart money is on Harold Goodwin.

imo it's not such a big deal.  morton got his shot to be a oc.  he didn't fail and should have enough creds to get a similar job elsewhere.  and bowles does have the power to pick his coaches.  maybe it's frustrating to see a guy like kacy seemingly skate but then again, maybe the defense is starting to get better, overall.  the offense was so-so and yes the 3 passes in the carolina game was really a bit much.

we'll see what happens.  maybe it'll be defillipo or someone with better creds.  morton seemed like an afterthought.

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

It feels like it's going to be Haley.  I don't think it's a coincidence
that he was fired earlier in the day and then all of a sudden Morton is
gone.  Also Bowles and Haley were on Parcells staff in DAL

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Exactly my thoughts

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, ex-Steelers OC Todd Haley is a candidate for the Jets' vacancy at offensive coordinator.

It seems like fate that the Jets would part ways with OC John Morton on the same day that the Steelers decided not to renew Haley's contract. Haley is familiar with head coach Todd Bowles, having worked with him when both were assistants to Bill Parcells in Dallas. The Browns, who are prepared to hire an OC for the first time under Hue Jackson, might also be an option for Haley.
Related: Jets

Jan 17 - 7:12 PM

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Bowles is racking up a body count of ex-assistants. Scapegoat or not, he's rifling through guys as if he has had zero impact on the back-to-back 5-win seasons. I've worked with a lot of people that specialize in managing the perception of their worth, not producing. They cost organizations good people. Not arguing that Morton wasn't mediocre... but I feel like we can separate the performance angle from the pattern of throwing people under the bus. Especially since it was allowed with Rex for so long.

Fair points, but still... what I just said to MDL + it seems silly to have high standards for the assistance and an unwillingness to retain them when they fail, when it's EXACTLY what you're doing with the HC. Seems like a double-standard, at least.

From the baseline that we’re stuck with Bowles - I have no issues with getting rid of unproductive assistants *especially* on offense. The league is doing everything they can for points to he scored and if Jets OCs aren’t doing it then it is best to move on fast. That the Jets have already gotten two “surprising” offenses under Bowles, one of them actually good and with a top 10 passing game to boot, suggests maaaaaaaaybe he’s got a clue on offense.

As far as the defenses under Bowles....nail the offense. There’s nothing to defend if the offense sucks under the league current rules. 

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, ex-Steelers OC Todd Haley is a candidate for the Jets' vacancy at offensive coordinator.

It seems like fate that the Jets would part ways with OC John Morton on the same day that the Steelers decided not to renew Haley's contract. Haley is familiar with head coach Todd Bowles, having worked with him when both were assistants to Bill Parcells in Dallas. The Browns, who are prepared to hire an OC for the first time under Hue Jackson, might also be an option for Haley.
Related: Jets

Jan 17 - 7:12 PM

He might not like Haley’s style. He passes a lot. But hey, @SenorGato LOL..this might get us Bell. Probably not .

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

First, if the other coaches and players didn’t like Morton personally, who gives a crap!!

Second, if this is really true, just wait until Todd Haley gets here.

Also, DeFilippo is interviewing for HC positions.  I truly find it laughable that even if he misses out on those jobs that better OC opportunities would come up over what the Jets currently have on their roster or could potentially add.

And those clamoring for Bates, there is probably a pretty good reason he is only been an OC and called plays for 1 year in the NFL before Pete Carroll fired him.

The Jets are dumb.  But at least we only have one more year of this bull before we hire NFL consultants / professional head hunters to find our next GM/HC.

Haley is abrasive as hell. Apparently would go weeks without talking to Rothelsiberger, and his relationship with Tomlin wasn't much better.  Now you can have people who don't like each other and barely talk outside of work succeed. Bowles might be dumb enough to not grasp Haley, if that's the hire, is  the coach in waiting and is not going to give 2 flying effs about Bowles wanting to run/run/3rd down and 8 dumpoff offense. But lose 11 games 2 years running and suddenly your choices are limited. Might be some indication that Maccagnan now has the ear of the Johnsons if this happens. We will see. 

37 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If true, then it's more Rex-ey than ever. Ground and pound, moral victories and scapegoats... oh my!!!! 

We needed to try to ram it in on the ground, with our meh RBs having another meh day, running behind a bad OL, against a Panthers defense that surrendered 7 rushing TDs all season long (while surrendering 30 passing TDs over the same span, including 3 TDs/0 INTs to the Josh McCown Jets that game)

Sounds like he was the only one who was thinking of exploiting matchups. So of course it makes sense that Bowles fired him.

15 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You don't see the difference between a coach who is your friend, who others may like and a coach who no one may like, who either refuses to run the O the HC wants run or shared the same philosophy with.  

That makes it wrong to move on from him now or makes him a scapegoat?

13 minutes ago, HessStation said:

2006 Jets went 10-6.

2017 Jets went 5-11

2006 Jets had 1st round QB coming back from injury, 3 1st round OL (3 pro bowl caliber) Coles, Cotchery, Smith, Baker, Washington...the HC was in his first year

2017 Jets had journeyman back up QB, 5 sh*t OL, an UDFA as their best WR, no TE, Powell...the HC is in his third year after 2 5-11 seasons and just got an extension 

your comparative post is very bad in many ways

You mean Chad Pennington. Say Chad Pennington. Chad Pennington post two major shoulder surgeries at that. 

Again both offenses were bad but praised for being less terrible than they were supposed to be. That’s the comparison, not what record the Jets had or year the HC was in. This time the Jets have made the correct call and moved on from the hotshot new OC who just produced a bad offense rather than marrying themselves to him. 

What a sh*tshow....it was reported earlier Bates wasn't interested in the job I thought, and he has no experience as OC.

Not a fan of keeping the HC while continuously axing Coordinators.  Never ends well.

I understand the premise, that since they're going to change QB's might as well change the O philosophy and get someone in here that can teach a QB I guess?

Haley has extensive Jets/Bowles ties, but not sure they're all positive...and Haley actually has more credibility IMO to be HC than Bowles at this point.  Not sure Todd wants his potential replacement on the staff.  Who knows.

This is why you need a Head of Football Operations to oversee the management process...to establish a team philosophy and direction.

Before Morton left/was fired, the GM would probably look for a potential WC QB...now...what?

Archived