FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

5 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

Rams are paying less for Peters and Talib duo than we are paying for only Trumaine Johnson

So what.  Talib is over 30 and making over $10 million and Peters is still on his rookie contract

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, prime21 said:

Do we have enough money for the Honeybadger?   What kind of money could he be looking for?

He wants money but releasing Skrine saves us $8M. (So it’s kinda like getting a discount if we swap ‘em out). 

Skrine is 28

Mathieu is 25

...so this may be a Demario Davis scenario, younger/better. 

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Jay Glazer (@JayGlazer)

3/14/18, 1:19 PM

Cardinals have informed the Tyrann Mathieau The Honey Badger they are releasing him

Go get him, Mcc

Yaaaasssssssss. Rebuild this sh*t with YOUNG FA, then trade up to #1 and take the QB you love!

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Let's get it done! Makes too much sense! 

Safeties - Adams - Maye - HB

CBs - Johnson, Claiborne, HB, Adams 

These guys won't need to come off the field and will have the ability to matchup with almost anyone.

That is exactly the type of secondary you need in the NFL these days. 

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

He wants money but releasing Skrine saves us $8M. (So it’s kinda like getting a discount if we swap ‘em out). 

Skrine is 28

Mathieu is 25

...so this may be a Demario Davis scenario, younger/better. 

I do it in a heartbeat.

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

So what.  Talib is over 30 and making over $10 million and Peters is still on his rookie contract

And Peters is on his last year of his rookie Contract which means you would have to commit big bucks on a long term deal to a head case or commit to a franchise tag for a head case. There is a reason the Rams got him for a 4th rounder and a future 2nd rounder. 

From yesterday (3/13)

The Cardinals are "making strides" toward a restructured deal that would keep safety Tyrann Mathieu in Arizona, according to a source. 

The Cardinals had previously asked Mathieu to take a pay cut for the upcoming season. 

Mathieu is due to have $18 million of is contract guaranteed if he is on the roster Wednesday afternoon.

The Cardinals didn’t want to be on the hook for that, but they do want to keep Mathieu.

A new contract would lower his cap number of $14.1 million for this year.

Mathieu has said previously that he is open to restructuring the contract, but that’s not necessarily the same as being open to a pay cut.

“But taking money out of my pocket, I don't like how that feels,” Mathieu said when the Cardinals first floated the idea, according to Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com.

Tyrann Mathieu's Cardinals contract

Two years ago, Mathieu signed a five-year extension that guaranteed him $21.25 million at signing. It was a questionable move by the Cardinals because Mathieu had suffered his second major knee injury just months before.

But Mathieu was a dynamic force for the 2015 season and a contender for player of the year until the injury.

The contract extension reflected the mutual fondness felt by Mathieu and the Cardinals organization. The Cardinals took a risk in 2013 by drafting Mathieu, who had tested positive for marijuana multiple times at LSU and was ultimately kicked off the team.

Mathieu fulfilled his part of the bargain by becoming a model citizen and a force on the field.

But terms of the contract made it clear the deal would be revisited this year. If Mathieu is on the roster March 14, he earns a $5 million bonus – and $13.75 million of salary in 2018-19 becomes guaranteed.

While Mathieu improved steadily through the 2017 season, he hasn’t played at the level he did in 2015.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2018/03/13/arizona-cardinals-safety-tyrann-mathieu-contract/421254002/

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Without looking, name one cornerback who started in last year’s Super Bowl. 

Malcom Butl...oh wait.

[edit] F-U Prime..sniped me by seconds!

[edit 2] that's weird.  Your post was above mine and now it's below.  Maybe I sniped you :P.  

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

From the chatter I heard at the combine, don't expect the Jets to pursue Tyrann Mathieu.

At the combine? when tampering was illegal? And when he wasn’t yet released? So it was double tampering?

I believe this report to be true.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Without looking, name one cornerback who started in last year’s Super Bowl. 

Not Malcom Butler....

I get your point, but the reality is most fans can't name many starting DBs, but the eagles happen to have a very good secondary/defense. We got cap space and we have holes. I see no reason to pass on quality DBs.  

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d imagine they’d have to cut Carpenter today or tomorrow if they want to spend that money, so we’ll know soon enough. Didn’t Pugh move to Florida or something? 

Maybe - I know he's still unsigned. There may be issues with him beyond just medical. 

I don't know if they necessarily need to spend the Carpenter money. Macc is kind of a dick with this type of stuff I could see them dragging it into the draft or camp depending on how things shake out.

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

you wrote that without a drafted franchise qb we will be in the 6-9 win range.  i responded that regardless of whether we draft a franchise qb we will be in this range b/c mccown will start at least half the season anyway and the rest of the roster is better than last year.  

Excuse me.  Maybe that was poorly worded.  I meant that we will have 6-9 wins.  With a franchise QB we have hope to build on it.  Without one, who gives a ****?

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yes, let’s spend more money on defensive backs. It’s a huge weakness.

When your coach is a DL savant, you over-invest in DL.

When your coach is a DB, you over-invest in DB.

No coach should ever have to coach up players in their area of specialization.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Excuse me.  Maybe that was poorly worded.  I meant that we will have 6-9 wins.  With a franchise QB we have hope to build on it.  Without one, who gives a ****?

agreed on this.  but if mccown plays like he did last year, with an improved roster, we're not getting a pick in the top 6 again.  

Archived