THEORY: Jets are targeting Baker Mayfield

House Jet

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I thought Baker had the second strongest arm behind Allen of the big 4?

This is not the case.  Rosen threw a ball on a dime 80 yards in the air for a TD at his pro day.  Not sure about Darnold’s because he didn’t throw at the combine nor have his pro day.

And Baker’s hands are small compared to the other QBs.  Not sure how that will play out but it’s worth noting.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Pcola said:

This is not the case.  Rosen threw a ball on a dime 80 yards in the air for a TD at his pro day.  Not sure about Darnold’s because he didn’t throw at the combine nor have his pro day.

And Baker’s hands are small compared to the other QBs.  Not sure how that will play out but it’s worth noting.

Mayfields arm at the combibne was stronger than Allen's and second, amongst all QB's, only to Allen. (Darnold didn't throw)

see below...

http://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-2018-NFL-Combine/10241/dh/

3 hours ago, House Jet said:

It was 5:21am in NY when i wrote this. I couldnt sleep so i go to my usual routine of reading about the Jets until i pass out. Except this time was different. Ive had an epiphany. Jets fans quickly realized the trade to 3 happened after the Jets visited Rosens pro day. The Jets visited Mayfields pro day right before that. With the way things are looking, it seems the Browns will take Darnold. So if Darnold is taken, it only makes sense for the Jets to make this move if they're ok with taking at the very least the 3rd qb available (id assume thats Mayfield). I know the draft has a way of being completely unpredictable. However, my take is that Baker Mayfield is a lot higher on the Jets board than people think and i wouldnt be surprised if they choose him over Rosen. If we stay at 3 which is the most likely scenario, i believe Mac has Rosen and Mayfield rated equally. If the Giants decide to go qb the consensus is that they pick Rosen. It is for this reason i believe the Jets are targeting Mayfield and it seems pretty likely that theyll have a shot at their guy. Id hope Mac didnt give up 3 2nds for a CHANCE at Rosen. I think he knows without a doubt he can get Mayfield at 3. It seems like Mac has a plan and im excited. Sorry in advance that there is no article, but i dont think this is completely baseless. Let me know what you think. Also sorry for the wall of text if your on mobile. It was too early/late to format

Nope. Its either Rosen or Allen.

2 minutes ago, Pcola said:

In a time where guys get concussions and decide to retire to avoid brain damage.... The concussions that Rosen has already had don't make you nervous?

5 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Allen had the biggest QB hands measured at the combine, the only guy over 10" (hey now!). 

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

While I dont care about Rosen wearing the anti-trump hat and dont feel its a big deal, its a bit different for the Jets organization as Woody essentially works for Trump.  Just something to think about

Being that a majority of the country and professional athletes feel the same way, if Woody were to pull that kind of crap, he will permanently turn off a good portion of the fan base.  

Football is about winning games.  When owners are boycotting players for doing things like being vocal about their political beliefs (which is perfectly legal) yet they employ idiots like Mike Vick, etc., that is the quickest way to alienate fans and have them tune out with their fans hip and wallets.

I don’t agree on Mayfield.

I believe Mac completed the trade feeling very confident of who the Browns and Giants are targeting.  If the Giants are picking Barkley, we have Rosen.  If the Giants are picking Rosen, we must be targeting Allen.

The big question is will Mac have the Balz to take Mayfield?

Allen will be easier to explain away - a lot of "experts" have him going #1 overall.

Taking Mayfield will be going out on a limb...Mayfield will be the better QB (I feel very strongly about that) Allen is the safer pick from a PR standpoint (much more likely to bust though.)

And we know this organization is very PR focused.

12 minutes ago, Jazy8ball said:

In a time where guys get concussions and decide to retire to avoid brain damage.... The concussions that Rosen has already had don't make you nervous?

I would rather draft a guy that was a superstar that had to retire a little early because of injuries than draft a QB that will be far inferior but play longer.

Its up to the team to build the OL and keep his clean.  The Jets have never taken care of their QB prospects.  I can only hope with this initial investment,we spend a ton of assets surrounding him with talent.  

They have already made a great decision to have two vets to play behind our below average OL.

36 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

As to the OP....

What if after visiting both Rosen and Mayfield's pro days, Mac became convinced that Mayfield is not a top QB and that, at most, this is a 3 QB draft, and maybe even 2 pending Allen's pro day. So, knowing the Giants will not move their pick, he called his buddy in Indy and traded up to 3, where he has a reasonable chance at one of the top 2 QBs and definitely would get the third, who he now believes to be Allen after Mayfield failed to impress him.

Why would you think that?  Most everyone who saw the pro day, even on TV, felt Mayfield had a very good pro day.  Showed a strong arm, only missed 5 out of 53 passes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2018/03/14/baker-mayfield-orlando-brown-perform-well-oklahoma-pro-day-nfl-draft/425124002/

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I simply cannot see this GM picking Mayfield over Allen.  I'd have to see it happen to believe it.

I think the entire point of this move was to get high enough to get Allen, or possibly Rosen or Darnold if something crazy happened, and to AVOID being left holding the Mayfield bag.

I completely agree with the OP. The only way this move makes sense is if you SPECIFICALLY want Mayfield and are OK with Rosen, or prefer Rosen and are OK with Mayfield. When I think of this move and look at the Jets moves that led up to it, I see no other explanation. People are being influenced by media bias, and assumptions about Mac not choosing a QB like Mayfield. I just dont buy it.

The two teams most heavily associated with Baker have been the Jets and the Broncos and this move assures us of being ahead of Denver and even if the Bills move ahead of us, it will be for Allen or Rosen.

I truly believe we are choosing Baker Mayfield. I just think Mac fell in love with him, I think Bates went to the Rosen pro day, to sign off on Rosen as option #2.

I have this gut feel about the draft. I think the Giants are not picking QB and will target Mason Rudolf (as will Pittsburgh). I also really think Cleveland wants a QB and Barkley. If there are no trades I can see the Browns taking Barkley and then the Giants possible taking Chubb.

A also believe that ALL 4 of these QBs will be franchise guys and there will be at least 5 franchise QBs and as many as 7 taken in this draft. It is the next 1983

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The big question is will Mac have the Balz to take Mayfield?

Allen will be easier to explain away - a lot of "experts" have him going #1 overall.

Taking Mayfield will be going out on a limb...Mayfield will be the better QB (I feel very strongly about that) Allen is the safer pick from a PR standpoint (much more likely to bust though.)

And we know this organization is very PR focused.

He had the Balz to trade up he better damn have the Balz to take who he believes is the better QB and not just safer from a PR standpoint. I think Mac loves both Rosen and the Baker. He will take either of them.

3 hours ago, slats said:

There are some genuine concerns with Rosen. 

The concussions are the probably the biggest one. You can only have so many before you start looking at serious long-term consequences. The highly intelligent son of a surgeon probably has a strong grasp of the issue. 

The alleged unconventional personality. There seems to be some question out there about how Rosen's personality will translate to the NFL, especially as a leader. That he's more Philip Rivers in that respect than Peyton Manning. Picking this high, the player has to have his head right. 

Does he love the game? Kinda a combination of the top two here. If he has another concussion or two, how long does his career last? Is this his passion? Or is he just looking to cash in? Everyone has the right to just cash in if that's what they want to do, but is that a characteristic you want in your franchise QB? 

Mayfield, on the other hand, doesn't have the injury concerns and appears to be a charismatic leader who absolutely loves the game. But he is under 6'2". 

Besides injury, all that other stuff to me is noise. How many concussions (documented) did Rosen have? If he never had a concussion or the shoulder injury he is likely the easy first pick of the draft?

I would love him but you would have to not only implement to west coast offense - force him to watch every Tom Brady offensive play of the past 7 years. Snap the ball, throw the ball. Dont take too many hits.....

24 minutes ago, Jazy8ball said:

It’s either chronic or it’s not. That’s how these types of things work. You won’t lnow until down the line and his talent is too rich to not take the risk and find out.

3 hours ago, SMC said:

Macc, who likes tall QBs with strong arms did not move up to 3 to take a weak-armed midget QB.

This is all about getting a shot at either Darnold, Rosen or Allen.

Mayfield has a "weak arm?"

Aaron Rodgers is only one 1 inch - 1.5 inches taller than a midget?

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is plausible, and it’s also terrifying that this one idiot, this repeat failure, this ******* dolt, this absolute clown, this Peter-principled jerkoff, would have this much power to shape the future of this team.

Don't sugar coat it.

Yeah, unfortunately if Maccagnan was a racehorse and you looked at his past performance you'd physically wretch, kind of like watching Bowles kick FG's in the 4th Qtr so he loses by 27 points instead of 30, which is better for his resume...even Lou Holtz in his short tenure would never have done that.

Again, I'll state that I saw a post detailing ALL the QB's selected during Maccagnan's employment in Houston, and there were around 10, ALL BUSTS, and when I say bust not ONE of them was even close to being able to perform at a pro level.  So it should surprise no one who is angered by his first 3 drafts in NY that include frightened consensus 1st Rd picks and basically ALL busts littering every other pick, that this happened in Houston, and what the hell this guy looks at when he's trying to evaluate a QB? This should lead anyone able to think critically to have grave concerns regarding Maccagnan making this pick.  I realize that a huge percentage of QB picks bust, and that goes for every team, but the basically 10 in Houston added to Petty, Hackenberg...NONE of these guys should EVER have even been a 7th Rd Draft pick.

All I can say is that you just have to hope and pray that when Maccagnan and Bowles step out of their Clown Car and head into the Draft room that our team just lucks out and whoever they pick performs like a real Franchise QB...our team is way more than due for that to happen.

14 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I would rather draft a guy that was a superstar that had to retire a little early because of injuries than draft a QB that will be far inferior but play longer.

Its up to the team to build the OL and keep his clean.  The Jets have never taken care of their QB prospects.  I can only hope with this initial investment,we spend a ton of assets surrounding him with talent.  

They have already made a great decision to have two vets to play behind our below average OL.

So you think Rosen is a super star and Allen a bust?

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Allen hasn't had his pro day yet. I just think people are underestimating the Jeremy Bates factor. Does Allen fit into that system?

I don’t think Allen fits Bates modified WCO.  Allen is a better fit with Cleveland and Todd Haley’s vertical offense.

WCO is designed to use quick short passes.  Allen’s 61% completion 6 yards or less make him a bad fit for us unless Bates is going to redo the way he has coached his entire career.

2 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Don't sugar coat it.

Yeah, unfortunately if Maccagnan was a racehorse and you looked at his past performance you'd physically wretch, kind of like watching Bowles kick FG's in the 4th Qtr so he loses by 27 points instead of 30, which is better for his resume...even Lou Holtz in his short tenure would never have done that.

Again, I'll state that I saw a post detailing ALL the QB's selected during Maccagnan's employment in Houston, and there were around 10, ALL BUSTS, and when I say bust not ONE of them was even close to being able to perform at a pro level.  So it should surprise no one who is angered by his first 3 drafts in NY that include frightened consensus 1st Rd picks and basically ALL busts littering every other pick, that this happened in Houston, and what the hell this guy looks at when he's trying to evaluate a QB? This should lead anyone able to think critically to have grave concerns regarding Maccagnan making this pick.  I realize that a huge percentage of QB picks bust, and that goes for every team, but the basically 10 in Houston added to Petty, Hackenberg...NONE of these guys should EVER have even been a 7th Rd Draft pick.

All I can say is that you just have to hope and pray that when Maccagnan and Bowles step out of their Clown Car and head into the Draft room that our team just lucks out and whoever they pick performs like a real Franchise QB...our team is way more than due for that to happen.

Literally the only thing giving me hope is the rumor that Brian Heimerdinger has been taking on a bigger role in the organization and that Maccagnan has gone back to being more of a scout. Still, it’s unnerving to know that the guy who scouted Hackenberg and thought he was a second rounder is roaming the country now looking at quarterbacks again.

I look at this a little bit differently.  Macc pulled the trigger on the trade a few days after both Mayfield and Rosen had their pro days.  If he liked both of them, then why the rush to move up.  You still have Darnold and Allen pro days coming up.  But, if he only liked one of them, and does not think the other is worth a pick in the Top 6, then he might have been motivated to make the move now if the big 4 is now a big 3 in his mind.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I look at this a little bit differently.  Macc pulled the trigger on the trade a few days after both Mayfield and Rosen had their pro days.  If he liked both of them, then why the rush to move up.  You still have Darnold and Allen pro days coming up.  But, if he only liked one of them, and does not think the other is worth a pick in the Top 6, then he might have been motivated to make the move now if the big 4 is now a big 3 in his mind.

true or it could be he realized he could get shut out of qbs if he didn't trade up and wanted to beat other teams to the punch.  

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

It was precisely a day after. That’s the interesting part. Now either he just already thought highly of Darnold/Allen and was comfortable with it or he was already comfortable with Darnold/Rosen and Mayfield’s pro day solidified him in the “We are fine taking you” category..which any of these are plausible and this leads into Mogg’s scoop that the board reads - Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield with Allen as the #4.

Still lots can change from now until April 26th. Private workouts will most likely be the final determination of this order. We won’t find out how impressed they are with each QB until draft day, unfortunately.

24 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Why would you think that?  Most everyone who saw the pro day, even on TV, felt Mayfield had a very good pro day.  Showed a strong arm, only missed 5 out of 53 passes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2018/03/14/baker-mayfield-orlando-brown-perform-well-oklahoma-pro-day-nfl-draft/425124002/

I don't think that. I was just laying it out there as a possibility. I like Mac, but I still don't trust him 100%. After all, he did watch Hack and think "I need to trade up in the second round an take that guy".

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

The rush was for two reasons..

1) Buffalo was pushing Indy - if it wasn't us it would be them.  Time was running out

2) After the pro-days - at that poiint they felt comfortable taking any one of those three as a FQB.

There was just too big a risk of none of the 4 falling to 6.  I currently believe all 4 will be gone by 6.

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Brees - played in SD, and then in a Dome

Wilson - about 5 times the athlete that Baker is, came from a pro style O

Flutie - god forbit this 3rd pic's upside is Doug Flutie

who else you got?

It's OBVIOUS you Never seen Doug Flutie play... you want to talk about the "IT" Factor he had in spades...

Joe Theismann was slightly shorter than Baker... he was only 6'.

55 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Browns will take Rosen. Giants will take Barkley and Jets will pass on Darnold and take Mayfield. A stunning upset. 

The Browns are not drafting Josh Rosen.  John Dorsey, in an interview prior to getting the Cle GM position, said he wouldn’t touch Rosen.  Add that to the perception that Rosen doesn’t want to go there, and I would have to say it’s beyond a long shot.  

Cleveland is a blue collar city and you don’t get more blue collar guys than Darnold (both parents are teachers) and Allen (growing up on a farm.). Either would be an easy sell to the Cleveland fan base and city.

11 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It was precisely a day after. That’s the interesting part. Now either he just already thought highly of Darnold/Allen and was comfortable with it or he was already comfortable with Darnold/Rosen and Mayfield’s pro day solidified him in the “We are fine taking you” category..which any of these are plausible and this leads into Mogg’s scoop that the board reads - Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield with Allen as the #4.

Still lots can change from now until April 26th. Private workouts will most likely be the final determination of this order. We won’t find out how impressed they are with each QB until draft day, unfortunately.

A lot can change.  Can someone photoshop Rosen pulling a Tunsil?  Maybe a gas mask full of weed would be enough for the Giants to pass.

5 hours ago, SMC said:

Macc, who likes tall QBs with strong arms did not move up to 3 to take a weak-armed midget QB.

This is all about getting a shot at either Darnold, Rosen or Allen.

actually, if the things the beat reporters are saying are at least partially accurate, Mac and the Jets really like Mayfield a lot.  So if all you have is your opinion based on the QBs Mac has selected in the past, then there isn't much merit to your claim except raw opinion.

p.s.  "weak-armed"?  Where'd you get that idea?  Nothing supports that insipid claim.  Are you just correlating "weak-arm" to his height?  Dude, he is not only extremely accurate but has good arm strength as well.  Or would you rather have strong armed Allen who can barely hit 60% on 6 yard passes?  Allen = all arm with little accuracy.  Mayfield = extremely accurate with decent arm strength. 

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

They better not of given up three 2nd round picks for a ******* QB that would of been there at 6. 

Mayfield would not have made it past Denver.  Reports say that they love the guy.  

Archived