Does a Certain Height actually Matter at QB?

JETSfaninNE

On 1/26/2018 at 5:25 PM, T0mShane said:

Here’s how I’d approach this if I were Macc:

I’d tell Todd that we were 100% drafting Minkah Fitzpatrick. I’d bring in Fitzpatrick two, three times for interviews. I’d ask Todd to host the Fitzpatrick family at his house on the night of each interview. I’d send them to a Broadway show together. I’d fire up Netflix in my office during an interview and we’d all watch one of those Kevin Hart standup specials and we’d all laugh our asses off. I’d order one of those 23andMe DNA test things and fake the results so that they show Todd and Minkah are distant relatives. Then when the day of the draft came, I’d carry a peach in my pocket and when it came my turn to pick, I’d pull out the peach and start eating it. Todd would, no doubt, have leaked to Josina Anderson that we were picking Fitzpatrick, so the ESPN and NFLN cameras would be locked in on Minkah and Todd pointing at each other and laughing and sh*t. But I’d just be eating away at that peach. Fourteen minutes left, I’m eating that peach. Ten minutes, eating that peach. Nine, eight, six. Peach, peach, peach. Sloppy-style, too. Juice dripping all over the card table, onto the card where I wrote the name of the player I’m picking. Albert Breer would be tweeting “It’s Minkah Fitzpatrick” and, like, 26% of the fanbase would be all pumped up. With one minute left, I’d be done with the peach and I’d stare at Todd—stare him straight in the eye, and I’d start sucking that sweet peach juice off my fingers, one by one, making a real show of it. NFLN would be running the Fitzpatrick highlight package. Mel Kiper will have said “versatility” roughly thirty times in the past fourteen minutes. When I got to sucking the juice off my pointer finger, I’d say, “Todd...” (and I’d stick my thumb in my mouth to get the last of the peach juice) “Todd, number one...” and there’d be 15 seconds left “F%ck you and your safeties.” Then I’d use the card where I wrote Fitzpatrick’s name to wipe the peach juice from my chin and, with five seconds left, I’d draft Baker Mayfield.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Are we really to believe 1 inch will handicap this guy's potential? 

My lady friend will tell you a guy can go a long way with 1 inch provided he knows what he's doing... errrr.. I mean 1 inch isn't...

uh..  agreed.

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Mayfield is 6'1, Rodgers is 6'2

Are we really to believe 1 inch will handicap this guy's potential? 

i am going to bet the farm that QB's at 6'2 and up have been far more successful then QB's at 6'1 and under. There hasn't been a QB under 6'1 picked in the top 3 in forever outsider of vick who ran like a 4.3 40.

4 hours ago, SpartanJet said:

Hey another Mayfield thread neat...

Stats can be made to say anything, I could counter and count the SB's won by QB's >= 6'3" in the past 20 years.  It seems about the same level of validation since you are comparing batted passes without taking into account the skill level of the offensive line. 

Mayfield played behind a stud O-line on a playoff level team in a conference that doesn't believe in Defense.  Rosen and Allen did not.

this reply is so littered with holes, it's difficult to know where to start. The stud oline thing is trash. It doesn't matter where or who Allen played with; he's a sub 60% guy who doesn't always read the field well and can become overwhelmed by scheme. That's who he is. Two of Rosen's oline members are looked as round 2-3 prospects. It is what is. 

The argument about # of sub-6'2 QBs in the nfl who have won a superbowl is horsesh*t too. The number of 6'4 QBs who didn't win a superbowl is twice as long. It's about playing the position well. Regardless of height. 

If you're good, you're good. Mayfield is good. Deal with it. 

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

i am going to bet the farm that QB's at 6'2 and up have been far more successful then QB's at 6'1 and under. There hasn't been a QB under 6'1 picked in the top 3 in forever outsider of vick who ran like a 4.3 40.

no 6'1 and under. Just 6'1... Just. 6'1... 1 inch. one. uno. el one-o... 

He'll be fine. You'll be fine... we'll all be fine. 

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im trying to confirm this via Pff or something. But I just came across a redit feed that stated that "Baker Mayfield had just 5 batted passes in his 3 years starting in Oklahoma". In comparison, Josh Rosen had 10 batted balls in 2017 alone. 

I can only confirm from the position of seeing his last 2 years at OU the only time that I could remember him having batted footballs was in the Ohio State game this year. And I think I remember that because it was my first time actually seeing it happen. 

How many times was Mayfield under center at Oklahoma? Never? That's when the batted passes would happen - 3 step drops and closer to the line of scrimmage. Rosen played under center a lot. The reason I would pick Rosen is he anticipates routes well and has played under center in a pro style offense. That breaks the tie for me. If I remember correctly, Mayfield only threw a couple of passes in the Senior Bowl and one of them was batted down.

Height matters more if it comes with an average arm. 

Teams used to make flutie stay in the pocket and throw outside because he loved to scramble and throw over the middle. 

From what I gather Mayfield has a strong arm so he should be able to throw outside from the pocket 

It's not like he's 5'9"

I wont be against picking Mayfield because I am a season ticket holder who is tired of this pathetic team losing - but I pretty much guarantee it will get Mac and Bowles fired in a year or two. Its almost as if some of you guys forget what a good QB looks like so much bubble screens and drag routes impress you.

The running around stuff in that highlight doesnt work in the NFL. Also, it cuts out 50% of the time he runs into the defense. Watch the Georgia game highlights and get back to me. Check down with the game on the line and you guys want him at 3. lmao

4 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Unless you're 6'8 you can't see over linemen. 

Try standing 5 feet away from someone even 4 inches shorter than you and try to see something 6 foot high, 20 yards away, over his head.

Funny thing. I remember reading an article predicting that Brock Osweiler and Mike  Glennon would not succeed because once a QB hits 6'6" their effectiveness plummets and gets worse as the height increases. While they didn't ID s precise reason they felt it was due to the fact that long body and arm does not lend itself to a quick release and and that such QBs tend to be less accurate and less nimble in the pocket. They also concluded that a better view over the lineman is not the great advantage many believe it to he.

Didn’t have read entire post,  not so much height... but the perception of playing for OKlahoma spread offense great o line vs nothing defenses, receivers running wide open, bubble screens etc.... I like him but I will say I’m a bit pessimistic myself 

One of the reasons why height is important that most people dont bring up is hand size. And there's no doubt hand size is important, as a QB will need to be able to grip the ball and hold on to the ball in any type of situation or whether.

There is a correlation between the 2. The taller you are, the more likely you are to have larger hands (same with feet and reach).

There are of course exceptions just like there are with everything else. For example, Russell Wilson is only 5'11, but he also has 10 1/4 inch hands. Which is huge for a guy his size. It's the equivalent of a boxer who's only 5'7 having the reach of 72 inches (Floyd Mayweather).

You dont have to worry about hand size when it comes to taller QBs

7 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Staying on topic and realistic the article is making a point for the 6' - 6'2 range and comparing it to QBs above 6'2. I guess you do make a point that I should edit the topic so to avoid the crappy drive by posts like yours :) 

It's not crappy at all.  There are very few QB'S succeed under 6 feet.

I would also say that people will look at analytics too much.  We could decipher that QB's who eat bacon every 3rd morning are not as successful as people who eat eggs every 3rd morning.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yes, sometimes I wonder if Russel would make the Super Hall Of Fame instead of just the Regular Hall of Fame if he could only squeeze off those slant passes. 

So you're suggesting that Wilson is benefited by being short and having limited vision because of it and NFL Scouts that all think that being a little taller help are the ones that are clueless. 

Isn't annoying when people that have played the game of football, scouted the game of football and coached the game of football know so much less than you? 

38 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So you're suggesting that Wilson is benefited by being short and having limited vision because of it and NFL Scouts that all think that being a little taller help are the ones that are clueless. 

Isn't annoying when people that have played the game of football, scouted the game of football and coached the game of football know so much less than you? 

Yes, I would say that Russell Wilson being such a wee lad has helped him immeasurably because it enables his tiny passes to travel between the legs of his linemen and into the waiting arms of his receivers for dynamic shoe-top completions. Defenders never see them coming unless they’re belly-crawling along the turf. 

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are you joking?  I don't think i ever heard anybody else say velocity score.  It is mph and I am sure @JiF can explain it in detail if you like.

Why would i be joking when i just said that "I had no idea"?

I dont need anyone to explain it to me in detail....we've all been fine with the scores over the years...no need to sh*t on these numbers now because of Baker Mayfield.

Lol....you guys. 

4 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

How many times was Mayfield under center at Oklahoma? Never? That's when the batted passes would happen - 3 step drops and closer to the line of scrimmage. Rosen played under center a lot. The reason I would pick Rosen is he anticipates routes well and has played under center in a pro style offense. That breaks the tie for me. If I remember correctly, Mayfield only threw a couple of passes in the Senior Bowl and one of them was batted down.

So in otherwords he had 5 batted balls in 3 seasons. 

Cool. 

Maybe these shotgun folks are on to something instead of creating some sort of excuse. Rosen "playing under center alot" doesnt tell me if his batted passes only came from under center. It doesnt even tell me how much more under center he played. Thats opinion not analysis. 

Not that i care....i was just presenting what i found. Wasnt trying to hate

7 hours ago, Larz said:

Height matters more if it comes with an average arm. 

Teams used to make flutie stay in the pocket and throw outside because he loved to scramble and throw over the middle. 

From what I gather Mayfield has a strong arm so he should be able to throw outside from the pocket 

It's not like he's 5'9"

Height matters when you are 6 feet and your OL are 6’7. You have to be able to stand in the pocket and throw down the field under pressure.

6 hours ago, King P said:

One of the reasons why height is important that most people dont bring up is hand size. And there's no doubt hand size is important, as a QB will need to be able to grip the ball and hold on to the ball in any type of situation or whether.

There is a correlation between the 2. The taller you are, the more likely you are to have larger hands (same with feet and reach).

There are of course exceptions just like there are with everything else. For example, Russell Wilson is only 5'11, but he also has 10 1/4 inch hands. Which is huge for a guy his size. It's the equivalent of a boxer who's only 5'7 having the reach of 72 inches (Floyd Mayweather).

You dont have to worry about hand size when it comes to taller QBs

Darnold's hands are a whole one-eighth of an inch larger than Mayfield's. 

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

The concept that ANY QB can see over an offensive lineman in the NFL is patently ludicrous, to the point it should be an urban myth. The average guard, tackle, or center in the NFL in 2015 is 6-foot-5, 312 pounds. Lets assume we want to see the TOP of the helmet of a receiver that is 10 yards down the field. Lets say you can see it at a 10 degree angle which is probably too flat anyway, well you would need to be 5.5 inches taller than the OL in your way. (Angle between ground and eyes is 90, viewing angle is 10 (80 to ground), length is 360 inches). Which means to see the receiver you have to be 6'10.5 inches. "Seeing over" an OL head is utter nonsense.

It was only a matter of time before trigonometry was brought into play. :)

55 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Height matters when you are 6 feet and your OL are 6’7. You have to be able to stand in the pocket and throw down the field under pressure.

It doesn't seem to have stopped Mayfield so far. 

He is 6'1"

12 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Unless you're 6'8 you can't see over linemen. 

Try standing 5 feet away from someone even 4 inches shorter than you and try to see something 6 foot high, 20 yards away, over his head.

I think the issue may be more about whether you can see of them when they are crouched and grappling in their blocks.  Or can you see over their shoulder pads when they are more upright.  I don't know for sure, but every inch does help you be able to see the field, if you are being completely objective.  Whether it's material or not I can't say.

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

It doesn't seem to have stopped Mayfield so far. 

He is 6'1"

watch the games, watch his feet, see how many times you see him stand in the pocket with pressure, make the reads and deliver the ball. what i saw was a guy whos pocket throws were mainly scripted, whenever he had to go off script or was under preassure he tried to run around. that just doesnt work in the NFL unless you are Vick, or Wilson.

Just now, k-met57 said:

watch the games, watch his feet, see how many times you see him stand in the pocket with pressure, make the reads and deliver the ball. what i saw was a guy whos pocket throws were mainly scripted, whenever he had to go off script or was under preassure he tried to run around. that just doesnt work in the NFL unless you are Vick, or Wilson.

Or Roethlisberger.  But I think Ben is an inch or five taller than Mayfield.

11 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Cool 

12 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are you joking?  I don't think i ever heard anybody else say velocity score.  It is mph and I am sure @JiF can explain it in detail if you like.

I want to purchase a Gatling Gun and have a firing squad for everyone that sites Ourlads Scouting Service and their MPH as if it's an actual thing.

16 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't  think batted balls is the only issue for a short QB. How many times has Russell Wilson had a slant open, but the taller lineman blocked his vision so he was forced to scramble to make a play. 

Anyone that passes on Mayfield solely because of his height is a fool, but it's a factor. Just like Allen's accuracy, Rosen's attitude and Darnold's turnover issues.  It's not ideal to have a short-ish QB, it's also not ideal to have a QB who already has a police video of himself getting tackled by cops.  

For all anyone knows, the Jets/Browns/Bills all think Mayfield is the #1 QB prospect. Nothing would surprise me at this point. 

This.  Batted balls isnt the problem its line of sight.  Mayfield played 10 yards behind the LOS, in clean, wide open pockets in college in a conference that doesnt play Defense, which made it easier to see the field.  That's not going to be the case in the NFL, no matter the system.  As much as Wilson's line struggles, part of his need to moving around is because of sight.  

That said, I think height is way overblown.  Especially when it's coming down to 1 inch.  However, you'd be a fool to not think that height gives you an advantage.  It definitely does.  Line of sight, ability to drop the ball over top defenders, harder to take down, more leverage on your throw, easier to get rid of the ball if the face of pressure, easier to throw the ball with a defender draped on you...etc...you dont have to adjust your mechanics and throwing motion to get rid of the ball which can result in an errand throw. 

There were times in the Georgia game when the pressure was coming and you could argue a taller QB would have been able to make the play but this stuff is really hard to know as a spectator. 

@Villain The Foe you wanted some tape...I watched every pass of Mayfield from the Georgia game last night.  At 2:52, you could argue, this was case of height being factor. I think a taller QB see's the guy opening up on the short out to the right and can get the ball there but Mayfield cant see over the RT, so he doesnt see him get loose, tries the other side of the field, then comes back and has to step up to get around it and gets engulfed by the pressure...a taller QB could have possibly made the play.  5:52...similar play.  He has a player in the flats and you can see his angles...he cant see get the ball over the pressure.  And then back to back plays at 7:32 and 7:41 - he has to change his arm angle that makes a errand throw...taller QB could have just stood there and thrown over top the line.  And the next play, gets pressure in his face and has to release the ball high and he misses long.  Again, could argue a taller QB makes that play.  7:54 - the INT...again, could argue the pressure in his face made him float a bad pass that a taller player could have drove with more zip. 

I'm nit picking here and it's just a few plays in the game but in a game that close, could have made all the difference.  And man, he was awful in that 2nd half in general, make me real nervous about him after watching it again to be honest.  Still take him in a heartbeat though if Darnold and Rosen are gone and I dont think height is a big issue....just pointing out times, maybe, it was. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

This.  Batted balls isnt the problem its line of sight.  Mayfield played 10 yards behind the LOS, in clean, wide open pockets in college in a conference that doesnt play Defense, which made it easier to see the field.  That's not going to be the case in the NFL, no matter the system.  As much as Wilson's line struggles, part of his need to moving around is because of sight.  

That said, I think height is way overblown.  Especially when it's coming down to 1 inch.  However, you'd be a fool to not think that height gives you an advantage.  It definitely does.  Line of sight, ability to drop the ball over top defenders, harder to take down, more leverage on your throw, easier to get rid of the ball if the face of pressure, easier to throw the ball with a defender draped on you...etc...you dont have to adjust your mechanics and throwing motion to get rid of the ball which can result in an errand throw. 

There were times in the Georgia game when the pressure was coming and you could argue a taller QB would have been able to make the play but this stuff is really hard to know as a spectator. 

@Villain The Foe you wanted some tape...I watched every pass of Mayfield from the Georgia game last night.  At 2:52, you could argue, this was case of height being factor. I think a taller QB see's the guy opening up on the short out to the right and can get the ball there but Mayfield cant see over the RT, so he doesnt see him get loose, tries the other side of the field, then comes back and has to step up to get around it and gets engulfed by the pressure...a taller QB could have possibly made the play.  5:52...similar play.  He has a player in the flats and you can see his angles...he cant see get the ball over the pressure.  And then back to back plays at 7:32 and 7:41 - he has to change his arm angle that makes a errand throw...taller QB could have just stood there and thrown over top the line.  And the next play, gets pressure in his face and has to release the ball high and he misses long.  Again, could argue a taller QB makes that play.  7:54 - the INT...again, could argue the pressure in his face made him float a bad pass that a taller player could have drove with more zip. 

I'm nit picking here and it's just a few plays in the game but in a game that close, could have made all the difference.  And man, he was awful in that 2nd half in general, make me real nervous about him after watching it again to be honest.  Still take him in a heartbeat though if Darnold and Rosen are gone and I dont think height is a big issue....just pointing out times, maybe, it was. 

Before I start I want to thank you for putting in the effort. Many times I dismiss folks position because they choose not to support their opinion in this fashion. Though I will give my opinion on these plays, I do want to make it clear that I appreciate you "walking the walk" on this topic as well. 

2:52. So I put the video at video at half speed to watch. When the WR is making the break to the Outside you can see Baker looking right at him, then Baker goes to his next progression because the WR running out route isnt past the sticks. It's 3rd and 7 and Mayfield seems to be looking to throw past the markers (His aggressive nature). As soon as Mayfield looks down field his LG loses containment on the DLineman and Mayfield has pressure in his face. Baker immediately attempts to roll out to the right to hit the out route. However, by the time the RT has also lost containment. Watch it half speed, it clearly shows that Baker seen the route, moved off of him to view the other routes, felt the pressure up the middle, attempted to roll out to the right but #52 was waiting for him. This has been a criticism of his. One of the things that folks have come to the conclusion of is that he's a gun slinger and risk taker, but there are times when he attacks too much when he should simply check down. This clip is a prime example of it. 

7:31. It's hard to say that this is an errand throw based on the defender when the defender a bit over two yards away from him. Plenty of QB's have altered their throwing motion to compensate for a defender in their face, 6'5 QB's also do that. I dont necessarily see him doing that here...I see this simply as an incompleted pass. The coverage was pretty good and Baker put the ball where either his WR was making the catch or it was an incomplete pass. Putting that ball further inside could have allowed the DB to run up under it. That's more on placement imo than an errand throw due to manipulation of his throwing motion. Again, watching this as .25 speed I cant say that he totally threw that ball side arm or in a way that was obviously out of the norm. 

7:41. Mayfield didnt have a problem seeing the route or throwing the pass. What is happening here is that Mayfield is "double clutching" which is what caused the errand throw. It's funny, because there are breakdowns right on youtube that discuss his double clutching. (I tried to find the video that I seen some time ago but couldnt find it...but here's a link to an article that also discusses his double clutching with a Gif showing how it caused inaccuracy on the throw. This article also talks about his aggressiveness to go down field and sometimes passing on the shorter throws. If I find the video I'll make sure to send it to you).  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/01/23/ahead-of-his-big-nfl-audition-here-are-things-to-like-and-dislike-about-baker-mayfield/?utm_term=.b16551ace815

7:54. Again, we can see Mayfield double clutching the throw here with this pass. He also didnt step into the pass given the time wasted on the double cluch, which ultimately led to the pass being under thrown. That's typical mechanic issues we're looking at right there. I made sure to look at this throw a few times slowly and again, I see activity around him, but no one causing disruption to his vision given his height. What Mayfield has a tendency to do is to double clutch on some of his passes which leads to inaccurate passes, passes being late or inaccurate given the double clutch, and as we can also see, also not allowing him to step into the throw because the time in which it took him to recover from the double clutching. 

I respect that you attempted to do this and I will look more cautiously for potential signs of this being an issue on the college level. I asked you do present something and you did. Though they're not obvious things we can see, your opinion could have validity here. And being a guy who can like a QB, I can also accept where weaknesses could lie. This is what I appreciate...folks who provide to their position and not talking about goofy cop gifs and Johnny Manziel. 

Respect for the effort Jif! If I come across the video doing the breakdown on the double clutch I'll make sure to post it. 

21 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Before I start I want to thank you for putting in the effort. Many times I dismiss folks position because they choose not to support their opinion in this fashion. Though I will give my opinion on these plays, I do want to make it clear that I appreciate you "walking the walk" on this topic as well. 

2:52. So I put the video at video at half speed to watch. When the WR is making the break to the Outside you can see Baker looking right at him, then Baker goes to his next progression because the WR running out route isnt past the sticks. It's 3rd and 7 and Mayfield seems to be looking to throw past the markers (His aggressive nature). As soon as Mayfield looks down field his LG loses containment on the DLineman and Mayfield has pressure in his face. Baker immediately attempts to roll out to the right to hit the out route. However, by the time the RT has also lost containment. Watch it half speed, it clearly shows that Baker seen the route, moved off of him to view the other routes, felt the pressure up the middle, attempted to roll out to the right but #52 was waiting for him. This has been a criticism of his. One of the things that folks have come to the conclusion of is that he's a gun slinger and risk taker, but there are times when he attacks too much when he should simply check down. This clip is a prime example of it. 

7:31. It's hard to say that this is an errand throw based on the defender when the defender a bit over two yards away from him. Plenty of QB's have altered their throwing motion to compensate for a defender in their face, 6'5 QB's also do that. I dont necessarily see him doing that here...I see this simply as an incompleted pass. The coverage was pretty good and Baker put the ball where either his WR was making the catch or it was an incomplete pass. Putting that ball further inside could have allowed the DB to run up under it. That's more on placement imo than an errand throw due to manipulation of his throwing motion. Again, watching this as .25 speed I cant say that he totally threw that ball side arm or in a way that was obviously out of the norm. 

7:41. Mayfield didnt have a problem seeing the route or throwing the pass. What is happening here is that Mayfield is "double clutching" which is what caused the errand throw. It's funny, because there are breakdowns right on youtube that discuss his double clutching. (I tried to find the video that I seen some time ago but couldnt find it...but here's a link to an article that also discusses his double clutching with a Gif showing how it caused inaccuracy on the throw. This article also talks about his aggressiveness to go down field and sometimes passing on the shorter throws. If I find the video I'll make sure to send it to you).  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/01/23/ahead-of-his-big-nfl-audition-here-are-things-to-like-and-dislike-about-baker-mayfield/?utm_term=.b16551ace815

7:54. Again, we can see Mayfield double clutching the throw here with this pass. He also didnt step into the pass given the time wasted on the double cluch, which ultimately led to the pass being under thrown. That's typical mechanic issues we're looking at right there. I made sure to look at this throw a few times slowly and again, I see activity around him, but no one causing disruption to his vision given his height. What Mayfield has a tendency to do is to double clutch on some of his passes which leads to inaccurate passes, passes being late or inaccurate given the double clutch, and as we can also see, also not allowing him to step into the throw because the time in which it took him to recover from the double clutching. 

I respect that you attempted to do this and I will look more cautiously for potential signs of this being an issue on the college level. I asked you do present something and you did. Though they're not obvious things we can see, your opinion could have validity here. And being a guy who can like a QB, I can also accept where weaknesses could lie. This is what I appreciate...folks who provide to their position and not talking about goofy cop gifs and Johnny Manziel. 

Respect for the effort Jif! If I come across the video doing the breakdown on the double clutch I'll make sure to post it. 

As I prefaced; very hard to tell as a spectator if height was the problem...just saying, it could have been and I think a couple of throws for sure being a 6'5 QB would have helped but again, I'm nit picking for the sake of your ask.  I think we're both probably not completely objective here because I'm looking for something specific and you're clearly looking to disprove it all with a lot more passion for the kid than anyone else in the entire world including his family, friends, agent and loved ones ;-) but ultimately, I dont find height to be a big issue. 

Archived