Welcome Nathan Shepherd

LAD_Brooklyn

4 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

I watched OU a lot, I went to WVU, Brown was that good. You know who was a football player and a grinder with a nice story? Lorenzo Mauldin. You've probably never heard of this kid just like I haven't, from what I've read: very raw, tons of upside, 25 years old, didn't dominate like you'd expect at a small school and rarely got the chance to play against top end competition. I'll take the OT from the Big 12 that protected Mayfield's blindspot. 

I’m willing to bet you that i watched just as much OU as you did. Nathan Shepherd I noticed in the Senior Bowl when I was giving JN updates. He is VERY athletic and moves almost at an unreal pace for his size. His motor never stopped going the Senior Bowl practices or the actual game for that matter. No, I haven’t seen a game film on him...but I was impressed with what I have seen and he is a lot better and athletic at his position than Mauldin.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Patriot Killa said:

I’m willing to bet you that i watched just as much OU as you did. Nathan Shepherd I noticed in the Senior Bowl when I was giving JN updates. He is VERY athletic and moves almost at an unreal pace for his size. His motor never stopped doing the Senior Bowl practices or the actual game for that matter. No, I haven’t seen a game film on him...but I was impressed with what I have seen and he is a lot better and athletic at his position than Mauldin.

I'm not saying the kid isn't athletic, I know mauldin isn't for his position but these "he's a gamer, with a great story" arguments for taking a kid don't mean jack. I hope you're right about this kid and I'm wrong about Brown, I'll admit I like these guys with big upside late but in the 3rd round I'd hope to get someone with a little more production/dominance at a bigger school against better competition. Never even heard of the school this kid went to.

4 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

I'm not saying the kid isn't athletic, I know mauldin isn't for his position but these "he's a gamer, with a great story" arguments for taking a kid don't mean jack. I hope you're right about this kid and I'm wrong about Brown, I'll admit I like these guys with big upside late but in the 3rd round I'd hope to get someone with a little more production/dominance at a bigger school against better competition. Never even heard of the school this kid went to.

My main motivation for liking him isn’t weighted on just “Gamer/Great story” it’s more about how big and athletic he is. He produced well for his D2 school even though that’s hard to even bring up as a point because the NFL is different..I like how he plays..not necessarily who he played. 

Dude I totally understand why you would be worried about him in the 3rd. Totally get it. But my bone to pick is with everyone killing the pick before he even gets on a plane to New York. I’m going to trust Macc on this one..add that to the amount of upside I do see with him..I can easily put myself behind this pick.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

My main motivation for liking him isn’t weighted on just “Gamer/Great story” it’s more about how big and athletic he is. He produced well for his D2 school even though that’s hard to even bring up as a point because the NFL is different..I like how he plays..not necessarily who he played. 

Dude I totally understand why you would be worried about him in the 3rd. Totally get it. But my bone to pick is with everyone killing the pick before he even gets on a plane to New York. I’m going to trust Macc on this one..add that to the amount of upside I do see with him..I can easily out myself behind this pick.

I'll get behind it, this was a need because of the Richardson and Wilkerson departures, apparently has talent to become a star. I'm just a skeptic of these guys from small schools panning out, especially one that didn't produce like a man amongst boys. We'll see, I would've liked Brown and feel like our defense has been spoiled with the amount of draft resources we've spent on it and Hankins is still available in FA to shore up the DL, really nothing for OL available in FA. I am encouraged that he apparently played well at the Senior bowl. 

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Dude was having an awesome senior bowl week before he got injured . Had it not been for that injury, this cat is probably drafted in the 2nd round.

I was posting updates for the forum that day. He was absolutely killing drills and throwing legit college competition around like they were rag dolls.

Agile, high motor, strong as an Ox and super heavy hands at the point of attack. Kevin Greene is going to polish him up..show him some traditional DE moves and techniques and Shepherd is going to be ready to go!

My Observations:

1. Big dude.

2. Younger than Suh, and possibly equally disruptive. Definitely cheaper.

3. Tossed Will Hernandez (mauler extraordinaire) around like a rag-doll at Senior Bowl.

4. Solid Character.

5. Has Amazing feet for his size. 

6. Maybe he Brandon Moore’s his way onto the OL given the way the top-rated Guards flew off the board, and we have needs on the OL? 

7. If he stays defense...he actually fills a huge need at DE, can flex over to DT in four-man fronts, and when our 32 yr-old NT moves on next year, he can compete there too. 

8. The learning curve for DL isn’t as steep as other positions: wait for snap, stay low, move hands fast, plug  your gap, contain backside, find ball/get ball.

(It’s not like WR or TE where it takes 3 years to learn: the route tree, play timing, all of the plays, weekly audibles, how to read defenses, adjust routes according to defense, sell routes, then work on hands, footwork, etc.) 

9. Between him and Pennel, we got some BIG DUDES on our DL.

10. It’s good to see Quincy Enunwa moving and smiling! 

3 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

My Observations:

1. Big dude.

2. Younger than Suh, and possibly equally disruptive. Definitely cheaper.

3. Tossed Will Hernandez (mauler extraordinaire) around like a rag-doll at Senior Bowl.

4. Solid Character.

5. Has Amazing feet for his size. 

6. Maybe he Brandon Moore’s his way onto the OL given the way the top-rated Guards flew off the board, and we have needs on the OL? 

7. If he stays defense...he actually fills a huge need at DE, can flex over to DT in four-man fronts, and when our 32 yr-old NT moves on next year, he can compete there too. 

8. The learning curve for DL isn’t as steep as other positions: wait for snap, stay low, move hands fast, plug  your gap, contain backside, find ball/get ball.

(It’s not like WR or TE where it takes 3 years to learn: the route tree, play timing, all of the plays, weekly audibles, how to read defenses, adjust routes according to defense, sell routes, then work on hands, footwork, etc.) 

9. Between him and Pennel, we got some BIG DUDES on our DL.

10. It’s good to see Quincy Enunwa moving and smiling! 

And Hernandez is one STRONG S.O.B....Shepherd has got to be freaking super man strong. I know he trained with power lifters and worked hard labor jobs all his life..he definitely can just toss dudes aside at any level of the game. He just will have to learn better technique. Amazing athleticism though.

i think people are really going to love this guy and this pick after just year 1.

Seems a boom/bust pick which is probably worth a 3rd rounder. Can't say I like the idea of a raw 25 year old but he has obvious upside. If he fulfils his potential then it would probably time well with Darnold's development. We should be looking to compete seriously within 2-3 years. 

I really think the priority should be the OL, but not like there's any sure things at this stage anyways. 

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This man is a grinder. Not many other people in this world would of done what he did and winded up still keeping his dream alive. I know I wouldnt of. I’ll be super honest..I’m a slacker. I would of been like well..”it is what it is..I’ll just have to work out some other time” and i’d wind up never doing it.

So it's a good pick because you are a lazy stoner?  

Hard to stomach taking DL yet again and the lack of a 2 makes this pick feel higher than it was. On the plus dude seems like he did pretty well in senior bowl practices against better talent. 

Stunned at the number of people who don’t know Sheppard.  I was thrilled with this pick.  I obviously haven’t seen him play much but if you just read a senior bowl practice report he was all the rage there and had a good bit of hype  

Maybe McCagnan should do things like us instead?  Maybe instead of researching hundreds of players he should watch 5 guys on YouTube and draft based on Mel Kipers big board.  Then when other nfl gms take guys he’s never heard of he can laugh at them and call them idiots. 

5 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

I obviously haven’t seen him play much but if you just read a senior bowl practice report

5 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

Maybe McCagnan should do things like us instead?  Maybe instead of researching hundreds of players he should watch 5 guys on YouTube and draft based on Mel Kipers big board.

28 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Only JETS fans would be pissed that they scooped a 2nd round talent with a 3rd round pick at a position of need...wtf..

its a need but so is OL and everyone hates when jets go defense.  should of we taken a chance on Orlando Brown?  hopefully they get 1 or 2 OL in the rest of the draft or maybe an undrafted one.

15 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

Stunned at the number of people who don’t know Sheppard.  I was thrilled with this pick.  I obviously haven’t seen him play much but if you just read a senior bowl practice report he was all the rage there and had a good bit of hype  

Maybe McCagnan should do things like us instead?  Maybe instead of researching hundreds of players he should watch 5 guys on YouTube and draft based on Mel Kipers big board.  Then when other nfl gms take guys he’s never heard of he can laugh at them and call them idiots. 

Well...that would have saved us on shlit picks like HACK.

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Helll no he ain’t fat. 300 pounds with a ton of muscle. Worked construction, was a bouncer for events, worked out every day no matter if he was on the Night Shift or day shift.

This man is a grinder. Not many other people in this world would of done what he did and winded up still keeping his dream alive. I know I wouldnt of. I’ll be super honest..I’m a slacker. I would of been like well..”it is what it is..I’ll just have to work out some other time” and i’d wind up never doing it.

this man has to adore football. He got this vision and dream out of the damn MUD. He’s got my best wishes and I’m proud to have Nathan Shepherd on my team. He’s a well spoken guy from humble beginnings and it looks like he can damn PLAY.

His palms are sweaty knees weak arms are heavy 
There's vomit on his sweater already mom's spaghetti

Archived