Terrific Inside Look at the Scouting Process

Doggin94it

Yahoo had a reporter embed with the Dolphins scouting staff last year.  Their 10 part series on the process is now up.  Definitely worth the read.

Starting in July, the Miami Dolphins granted Yahoo Sports unique access to their scouting staff for the 2017 season. In the build-up to the 2018 NFL draft, Yahoo Sports sat in on meetings, roamed the sideline with scouts during college practices, attended a college game with executives and spent all three days of the draft in the team facility. This included dinners from Los Angeles to Mobile, Alabama, and, of course, a Wednesday night in October stranded on Highway 71 deep in the heart of Texas. (The tow trucks from Bastrop don’t come quickly, Yahoo Sports learned.)

https://sports.yahoo.com/secret-life-nfl-scouts-18-miami-dolphins-draft-class-came-together-scouting-bitch-034759055.html

this was their result, for better or worse:

MINKAH FITZPATRICK Alabama DB
MIKE GESICKI Penn State TE
JEROME BAKER Ohio St. OLB
DURHAM SMYTHE Notre Dame TE
KALEN BALLAGE Arizona State RB
Cornell Armstrong Southern Miss DB
Quentin Poling Ohio LB
Jason Sanders New Mexico K

27 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Quentin Poling Ohio LB

This is a SPARQ dream, they can all run and jump 

Minkah - 70.1

Mike Gesicki - 99.2

Jerome Baker - 85.8 

Kalen Ballage - 84.5 

Cornell Armstrong - 78.0

Quenton Poling 94.8

to read a SPARQ score, by the way, is like "Quenton Poling has better athletic scores than 94.8% of current NFL players at the position." 

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/

whether they can play or not we shall see. 

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Didn't know Terry Bradway was now senior scout for the Miam Dolphins. Thought he had just faded off into the sunset. I'm glad he ended up with a division rival. ?

I didn't know this either . I thought he was torn apart by a werewolf while vacationing in London. Might have been a dream I had of how he wound up. My bad.

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Didn't know Terry Bradway was now senior scout for the Miam Dolphins. Thought he had just faded off into the sunset. I'm glad he ended up with a division rival. ?

While I hadn't heard of that either, it's not particularly surprising given they have Tannenbaum running the shower over there.  Those two worked together around here for 12 years as they took turns being GM / GM's best buddy.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

While I hadn't heard of that either, it's not particularly surprising given they have Tannenbaum running the shower over there.  Those two worked together around here for 12 years as they took turns being GM / GM's best buddy.

He runs the shower ? 

I knew he was all wet ? 

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Granting the media a whole offseason’s worth of “unique access” into his dumbass scouting process is Peak Tannenbaum.

Have to believe he insisted on censorship rights, and nothing was included without their OK.

But that information on prototypes and exceptions was interesting

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Quentin Poling Ohio LB

When we still had second rounders, I really like Gesicki in the 2nd for us.   If nothing else, given the Qbs were gone, I like their first and second rounders a lot, after that I just don't know the players.

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

I didn't know this either . I thought he was torn apart by a werewolf while vacationing in London. Might have been a dream I had of how he wound up. My bad.

As I read this, Werewolves of London is on my office radio.

With all that work from the scouts and long hours it's still a crap shoot. The thing is in order to be the best and get ahead of the curve kinda like the Patriots you have to come out with some new measurables to grade the players that no one else has. In my opinion you need to know more about their personality - who are they now and who are they gonna be 3-5 years from now. Does a guy like Mayfield who appears to be a leader - does he have a better career than a guy like Rosen who isn't a leader and isn't as liked at least not yet but Rosen has better measurables like height and arm strength. Does personality win over raw talent?

11 hours ago, bitonti said:

This is a SPARQ dream, they can all run and jump 

Minkah - 70.1

Mike Gesicki - 99.2

Jerome Baker - 85.8 

Kalen Ballage - 84.5 

Cornell Armstrong - 78.0

Quenton Poling 94.8

to read a SPARQ score, by the way, is like "Quenton Poling has better athletic scores than 94.8% of current NFL players at the position." 

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/

whether they can play or not we shall see. 

I’m guessing the SPARQ scores on our draftees weren’t as good?

18 hours ago, Nixhead said:

With all that work from the scouts and long hours it's still a crap shoot. The thing is in order to be the best and get ahead of the curve kinda like the Patriots you have to come out with some new measurables to grade the players that no one else has. In my opinion you need to know more about their personality - who are they now and who are they gonna be 3-5 years from now. Does a guy like Mayfield who appears to be a leader - does he have a better career than a guy like Rosen who isn't a leader and isn't as liked at least not yet but Rosen has better measurables like height and arm strength. Does personality win over raw talent?

Patriots don't draft well... they trade picks for players about to hit their prime.... they have amazing NFL scouts... their draft picks are average at best

Archived