costello piece in ny post, stop reading at wilky

rangerous

mostly a fill in piece by costello. can't argue too much without seeing the final product.  it all depends on how bowles puts the pieces together.  imo the jets won't be missing wilky on the field or in the locker room.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/14/sam-darnold-not-the-only-piece-to-consider-in-jets-overhaul/SPORTS

Sam Darnold not the only piece to consider in Jets overhaul

Did the Jets improve in free agency and the draft? Let’s take a closer look at the roster and see how Mike Maccagnan and Co. fared.

Quarterback

Starter: Josh McCown

Key reserves: Sam Darnold, Teddy Bridgewater and Christian Hackenberg

There is always a quarterback storyline with the Jets. This year’s will be: How soon does Darnold start? McCown is the starter entering training camp, but the Jets have been clear that Darnold can win the job. Bridgewater’s health is a question that needs to be answered. The Jets could dangle him as trade bait if he is healthy.

Upgrade? Yes. Though McCown might not be able to duplicate his 2017 success, this is a better overall quarterback room with Darnold and Bridgewater.

Running back

Starter: Isaiah Crowell

Key reserves: Bilal Powell, Elijah McGuire, Lawrence Thomas (fullback)

The Jets signed Crowell to a three-year, $12 million deal in free agency. He and Powell likely will split reps similar to how Powell and Matt Forte did over the past two years.

Upgrade? Yes. Crowell is much more durable than Forte.

Wide receiver

Starters: Robby Anderson, Jermaine Kearse and Quincy Enunwa

Key reserves: Terrelle Pryor, Chad Hansen and ArDarius Stewart

The key for this group will be the return of Enunwa, who missed all of last season with a neck injury. If he can regain the form he showed in 2016 (58 catches, 857 yards, four touchdowns), the offense will get a boost. Pryor is an interesting addition coming off a down year with the Redskins. Hansen and Stewart need to show something in their second seasons.

Upgrade? No*. This is basically the same group as last year plus Pryor, who is not a sure thing. The asterisk comes with Enunwa, who is not a new addition, but whose return will be big for the Jets.

Tight end

Starter: Jordan Leggett

Key reserves: Neal Sterling, Eric Tomlinson and Chris Herndon

The Jets let Austin Seferian-Jenkins walk as a free agent because they are confident in Leggett, Sterling and Tomlinson. It is a gamble that could cost them.

Upgrade? No. This is a really inexperienced group.

Offensive line

Starters: Kelvin Beachum, James Carpenter, Spencer Long, Brian Winters and Brandon Shell

Key reserves: Travis Swanson, Dakota Dozier, Brent Qvale and Ben Ijalana

The only change from last year is at center, where Long will replace Wes Johnson. Winters should also improve after playing injured last year.

Upgrade? Yes. But the Jets ignored the position in the draft for the second straight year.

Defensive line

Starters: Leonard Williams, Steve McLendon and Henry Anderson

Key reserves: Mike Pennel, Nathan Shepherd, Xavier Cooper and Folorunso Fatukasi

A draft-day trade brought Anderson over from the Colts. The Jets feel like they have more depth here, even if their starters are not as strong as some of the defensive lines of recent years.

Upgrade? No. The Jets will miss Muhammad Wilkerson on the field.

Outside linebacker

Starters: Jordan Jenkins and Josh Martin

Key reserves: David Bass, Lorenzo Mauldin and Dylan Donahue

The biggest hole on the Jets’ roster remains outside linebacker. They need someone to emerge to give them an outside rush.

Upgrade? No. The Jets stayed status quo here.

Inside linebacker

Starters: Darron Lee and Avery Williamson

Key reserves: Kevin Minter and Neville Hewitt

Williamson is a younger, cheaper version of Demario Davis, who left for the Saints. Lee improved last year from his rookie season and now must make another leap forward.

Upgrade? No. Williamson is an improvement over Davis in terms of roster management, but I think it is a push on the field.

Cornerback

Starters: Trumaine Johnson, Morris Claiborne and Buster Skrine

Key reserves: Darryl Roberts, Juston Burris and Rashard Robinson

Maccagnan went out and got Todd Bowles a No. 1 cornerback in Johnson. The $72.5 million man will have a lot of pressure on him to live up to that big contract.

Upgrade? Yes. Johnson and Claiborne give the Jets two good cornerbacks.

Safety

Starters: Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye

Key reserves: Terrence Brooks and Rontez Miles

The Jets can’t afford a sophomore slump from Adams or Maye.

Upgrade? No. However, Adams and Maye should improve in their second seasons.

Special teams

The Jets signed Cairo Santos to replace Chandler Catanzaro at kicker, which may be a downgrade. They are still searching for kick and punt returners with a bunch of players battling for those jobs this summer.

Upgrade? No. Catanzaro was an underrated loss this offseason.

image.gif

I can’t stand Costello normally but I agree with him here OLB is huge hole on our roster.  

It’s been that way forever, so nothing ground breaking. If a qb goes down on tc (notnon our team) and Bridgewater can play, trade him to a team for a young OLB. I like the Shane ray idea as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

People don’t call them “listicles” anymore? 

A “listicle” is a different thing altogether. Like “You won’t believe these top ten things celebrities say...” A slideshow, as you know, requires multiple engagements. The other option is The Athletic, where you can pay money to read a cut and paste blog post detailing who, exactly, is on the Jets roster, and whether that position group is “Improved” or not, including a one-sentence blurb, each of which translate to “eh, nah, maybe. We’ll see. I dunno. I was up all night playing Fortnite and finished third once it was crazy.” 

I find it amazing that anyone who watched the Jets could think we will miss Wilkerson.  Will our Dline have less name recognition without a player who at one time was playing at an elite level, yes.

But I dont care what the talent level is of whoever replaces him, but if that player actually TRIES, then they will surpass what Wilkerson brought to this team.  We essentially played with 2.5 Dlineman last year with his poor effort, anyone giving 100%, even if they are a practice squad guy, will be an upgrade

Costello has been sucking up to Wilkerson for years because he was able to get

info from him and his agent.  That comment really sheds light on his "evaluation"

skills because Wilkerson did nothing but show up late for the past to years

He doesn't say anything about Wilkerson in the clubhouse.  But a student of mine who was a Jets intern for a year told me something interesting 2-3 years ago.  Wilk is a loner.  He was usually by himself and was a quiet, introverted sometimes brooding/moody guy.  He exhibited ZERO leadership skills in that building.  None.  

She had some interesting things to say about others as well, but the Wilk comments were most interesting. 

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I can’t stand Costello normally but I agree with him here OLB is huge hole on our roster.  

2 hours ago, NYallDay said:

It’s been that way forever, so nothing ground breaking. If a qb goes down on tc (notnon our team) and Bridgewater can play, trade him to a team for a young OLB. I like the Shane ray idea as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who would have thought we would be pining for the Jets' glorious OLB days of Pace and Thomas.

8 hours ago, rangerous said:

mostly a fill in piece by costello. can't argue too much without seeing the final product.  it all depends on how bowles puts the pieces together.  imo the jets won't be missing wilky on the field or in the locker room.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/14/sam-darnold-not-the-only-piece-to-consider-in-jets-overhaul/SPORTS

Agreed  Lazy , unmotivated Mo will NOT be missed. Actually I think it will be an addition by subtraction.

40 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Completely disagree that the WR group did not improve. Pryor isn’t an All Pro but he’s definitely skilled and adds considerable talent to the group. 

PLUS the fact that Enunwa is back. How can this NOT be an upgrade ?

8 hours ago, BCJet said:

I find it amazing that anyone who watched the Jets could think we will miss Wilkerson 

yeah they only used their 3rd, 6th and traded a 7th to replace one player. What a POS that guy must have been.  Oh and they used the 5th to replace ASJ. 

for everyone who is crying about the OL, they used basically all the draft capital at QB and replacing Mo Wilk and ASJ. They could have paid these players. they still have a metric ton of cap space. 

let's not mention the upside of Mo Wilkerson instead we should all talk sh*t about crappy he is and how ASJ also eats ass and how we won't miss them. Cause whether it's accurate or not, it just makes me feel better. 

This was a pretty spot on assessment other than Wilkerson.  Maybe he put it in there to see if people were reading.  

For no good reason I like the feel of the DL this season.  The Jets will need to think long and hard about how much they pay Williams when his contract is up.  

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

We did not sign pryor to be a sub.

His wilkerson comment is totally laughable.  You can't possibly make that statement if you watched the team last year.

Who's he starting in front of? Unless Anderson gets suspended, Pryor is at least #3.

10 hours ago, rangerous said:

Sam Darnold not the only piece to consider in Jets overhaul

Did the Jets improve in free agency and the draft? Let’s take a closer look at the roster and see how Mike Maccagnan and Co. fared.

Quarterback

Starter: Josh McCown

Key reserves: Sam Darnold, Teddy Bridgewater and Christian Hackenberg

There is always a quarterback storyline with the Jets. This year’s will be: How soon does Darnold start? McCown is the starter entering training camp, but the Jets have been clear that Darnold can win the job. Bridgewater’s health is a question that needs to be answered. The Jets could dangle him as trade bait if he is healthy.

Upgrade? Yes. Though McCown might not be able to duplicate his 2017 success, this is a better overall quarterback room with Darnold and Bridgewater.

Running back

Starter: Isaiah Crowell

Key reserves: Bilal Powell, Elijah McGuire, Lawrence Thomas (fullback)

The Jets signed Crowell to a three-year, $12 million deal in free agency. He and Powell likely will split reps similar to how Powell and Matt Forte did over the past two years.

Upgrade? Yes. Crowell is much more durable than Forte.

Wide receiver

Starters: Robby Anderson, Jermaine Kearse and Quincy Enunwa

Key reserves: Terrelle Pryor, Chad Hansen and ArDarius Stewart

The key for this group will be the return of Enunwa, who missed all of last season with a neck injury. If he can regain the form he showed in 2016 (58 catches, 857 yards, four touchdowns), the offense will get a boost. Pryor is an interesting addition coming off a down year with the Redskins. Hansen and Stewart need to show something in their second seasons.

Upgrade? No*. This is basically the same group as last year plus Pryor, who is not a sure thing. The asterisk comes with Enunwa, who is not a new addition, but whose return will be big for the Jets.

Tight end

Starter: Jordan Leggett

Key reserves: Neal Sterling, Eric Tomlinson and Chris Herndon

The Jets let Austin Seferian-Jenkins walk as a free agent because they are confident in Leggett, Sterling and Tomlinson. It is a gamble that could cost them.

Upgrade? No. This is a really inexperienced group.

Offensive line

Starters: Kelvin Beachum, James Carpenter, Spencer Long, Brian Winters and Brandon Shell

Key reserves: Travis Swanson, Dakota Dozier, Brent Qvale and Ben Ijalana

The only change from last year is at center, where Long will replace Wes Johnson. Winters should also improve after playing injured last year.

Upgrade? Yes. But the Jets ignored the position in the draft for the second straight year.

Defensive line

Starters: Leonard Williams, Steve McLendon and Henry Anderson

Key reserves: Mike Pennel, Nathan Shepherd, Xavier Cooper and Folorunso Fatukasi

A draft-day trade brought Anderson over from the Colts. The Jets feel like they have more depth here, even if their starters are not as strong as some of the defensive lines of recent years.

Upgrade? No. The Jets will miss Muhammad Wilkerson on the field.

Outside linebacker

Starters: Jordan Jenkins and Josh Martin

Key reserves: David Bass, Lorenzo Mauldin and Dylan Donahue

The biggest hole on the Jets’ roster remains outside linebacker. They need someone to emerge to give them an outside rush.

Upgrade? No. The Jets stayed status quo here.

Inside linebacker

Starters: Darron Lee and Avery Williamson

Key reserves: Kevin Minter and Neville Hewitt

Williamson is a younger, cheaper version of Demario Davis, who left for the Saints. Lee improved last year from his rookie season and now must make another leap forward.

Upgrade? No. Williamson is an improvement over Davis in terms of roster management, but I think it is a push on the field.

Cornerback

Starters: Trumaine Johnson, Morris Claiborne and Buster Skrine

Key reserves: Darryl Roberts, Juston Burris and Rashard Robinson

Maccagnan went out and got Todd Bowles a No. 1 cornerback in Johnson. The $72.5 million man will have a lot of pressure on him to live up to that big contract.

Upgrade? Yes. Johnson and Claiborne give the Jets two good cornerbacks.

Safety

Starters: Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye

Key reserves: Terrence Brooks and Rontez Miles

The Jets can’t afford a sophomore slump from Adams or Maye.

Upgrade? No. However, Adams and Maye should improve in their second seasons.

Special teams

The Jets signed Cairo Santos to replace Chandler Catanzaro at kicker, which may be a downgrade. They are still searching for kick and punt returners with a bunch of players battling for those jobs this summer.

Upgrade? No. Catanzaro was an underrated loss this offseason.

image.gif

All of these roster moves and acquisitions/draft picks equals 5-11 again. Mac is under some sort of illusion thinking the Jets just won the SB and Mac must maintain this awesome success. Only the Jets.

We are greatly improved at DL. I do not know what he is smoking.

We are improved at QB. Darnold starts Day 1. 

We are improved at CB Parry Nickerson will be game #1 starter for Mr Penalty

We are at least neutral at TE

We will be a better team.

21 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

All of these roster moves and acquisitions/draft picks equals 5-11 again. Mac is under some sort of illusion thinking the Jets just won the SB and Mac must maintain this awesome success. Only the Jets.

i'll be the first to pound the table about the jets not having any scary players but when you look around the league, how many of those guys really exist?  imo, not many.  it's a team game and so a guy who is great playing for one team may not translate well when going to another. the thing we need to hope for is that bowles and his coaches can get these guys to play smart football for the whole 60 minutes.  if they do that, they will be pretty good.  and the individual accolades will come. 

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i'll be the first to pound the table about the jets not having any scary players but when you look around the league, how many of those guys really exist?  imo, not many.  it's a team game and so a guy who is great playing for one team may not translate well when going to another. the thing we need to hope for is that bowles and his coaches can get these guys to play smart football for the whole 60 minutes.  if they do that, they will be pretty good.  and the individual accolades will come. 

And what exactly gives you any confidence that will happen. Blowes has proven time and again to be in over his head against other coaches. He gets consistently out-maneuvered in every game he's involved in. He insists on keeping incompetent people on his staff like Kaci Rodgers.

What you're saying is you essentially want Blowes to start coaching like Bill Belichick? The fact is Blowes is an amateur.

What's worse is Mac might actually be even more incompetent? Like I already posted Mac actually thinks 5-11 is an acceptable outcome.

Think he’s dead wrong on WR not being upgraded with Enunwa coming back abd Pryor addition. Also, DL is better by just getting rid of Wilkerson ... guy was useless last year and not much better in 2016. In addition, they brought in two young hungry talented guys via the draft and Pennel is a beast who should be more comfortable in 2018.

Archived