Now that Sam Darnold is the official starter..

Patriot Killa

Did Sam Darnold deserve the starting job?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

Do you think he deserved it? How many games can Darnold and the Jets win?

Explain why he did or didn’t below and give your W/L prediction now that Darnold is officially the man.(I think if there is anyone who didn’t, it’s more about the OL situation and just their ideology of how to handle a rookie QB. Because I don’t see how he showed he wasn’t ready.)

Personally it was a no brainer for me..of course he did and with how weak the schedule is I could see a 7 win team. Darnold will go thru his lumps so 7-9 sounds fair to me.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Do you think he deserved it?

Yes, I would say his play on the field earned the job at this point.  

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

How many games can Darnold and the Jets win?

5-7 wins should be a fair range of expectation.  Potentially 8-9 if the ball bounces right a few times.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, I would say his play on the field earned the job at this point.  

5-7 wins should be a fair range of expectation.  Potentially 8-9 if the ball bounces right a few times.

I agree here 100% I wonder if 9 wins will get us a shot at the wildcard...

His performance was great. Now did I have reservations because of the O and wanting him to get more time to develop?

I did . But he deserves it, he's the future of our Team and I'm here for Sammy.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Explain why he did or didn’t below and give your W/L prediction now that Darnold is officially the man.(I think if there is anyone who didn’t, it’s more about the OL situation and just their ideology of how to handle a rookie QB. Because I don’t see how he showed he wasn’t ready.)

Personally it was a no brainer for me..of course he did and with how weak the schedule is I could see a 7 win team. Darnold will go thru his lumps so 7-9 sounds fair to me.

When you pick a QB that high the rig is in. Unless he totally fuggs it up in training camp and preseason he will win the job. He would have to be colossally bad to not get a shot and Sam wasnt close to that. That is in essence winning the job, he didnt have to beat out the others, he just had to prove competency. 

It ultimately wasnt a fair fight because TB was always going to be traded and didnt have as many reps with the 1's throughout camp or preseason. It was rigged to give the kid the best chance to prove himself and he did.

I voted "Yes".  My son is a Bridgewater guy, and is understandably devastated today.  While I agree with him that perhaps Teddy outperformed Darnold, I think the fact that it's even a debate means you go with "The Future".  Yes, maybe Teddy's numbers were better, but all I heard after the Falcons game was "well Sam only played with/against backups" yet no one seems to be saying that about Teddy the last two weeks?  Especially in the giants game - I was actually a little disappointed he couldn't get a TD against giants backups.

Meanwhile after watching (and re-watching) that giants game, I actually think Darnold played better than he gets credit for.  thanks to our "wonderful" special teams, Darnold started 3 of his 6 possessions against giants starters inside his own 17 yard line!!!  Each of those times, I'm just sitting there praying he doesn't fumble, throw a pick or get sacked.  he did none of those things.

His other three 1st half possessions resulted in 2 TDs!!  I'll take it!

Very excited for this year.  I'm taking my family to our first Jets game (Home Opener against Fins) since 2011!  I  As for record?  I'd like to see better than last year, but I think the ceiling is 8 wins.  So between 6-8 wins here.  If they win 8 with Darnold this year, I'm doing jumping jacks.  If they win more....I just don't know.....may go into cardiac arrest!!

17 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

When you pick a QB that high the rig is in. Unless he totally fuggs it up in training camp and preseason he will win the job. 

Though note that Mayfield and Rosen aren't starting, and neither would Allen if not for injuries...

I'm sure the response will be "well, they don't know how to run a QB room" - which is rather ironic to be saying as a Jets fan, no?  :-)

1 minute ago, thshadow said:

Though note that Mayfield and Rosen aren't starting, and neither would Allen if not for injuries...

I'm sure the response will be "well, they don't know how to run a QB room" - which is rather ironic to be saying as a Jets fan, no?  :-)

No the response is.......The browns have a freaking mess in the coaches room, forget about the QB room...even worse than ours AND they have a better veteren ahead of Mayfield than we had in front of Sam. The Cards also have a better veteran in front of Rosen, their starting center went down for the year and I think Rosen injured his thumb. So for those two the circumstances are different.

Allen? Well.........

1. He is a bum

2. He is a bum

3. His line is actually worse than ours

4. He is actually worse than the guys in front of him

5. HE IS A BUM.

I mean it's not in a vaccum right? Brdigewater maybe played a bit better, has played in the NFL before, might have helped hide some OL issues a littttttle better with his legs... 

But there was more going into this than just 'who was better'. There was wiggle room for Darnold to not "beat" Bridgewater or McCown and still start. He just had to be close and he was getting the ball... And he did. He played well and showed things you want to see. So in that sense yes, he earned it. 

18 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

How could he not earn it.  He was the only guy given the opportunity to win it.

Jets will win 3 or 4 gms this season.  Next year is the start of something special.

fixed ^ ^ 

?

18 hours ago, GATA said:

His performance was great. Now did I have reservations because of the O and wanting him to get more time to develop?

I did . But he deserves it, he's the future of our Team and I'm here for Sammy.

cool !..

?

hqdefault.jpg

" Sam the Man "  ROCKS !    ?

I think this team is much better than advertised .

I think we go 8-8 or less due to Todd Bowles and Kacy Rodgers.

I knew Darnold was going to start as soon as the schedule came out and we opened up on Monday Night.

I also feel if the O-Line stays healthy they will be a good unit/

If we get Mack or Fowler this defense could possibly dominate regardless of the combo of Idiots running it

20 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

is this a homework assignment?  Ha ha.  They have to play him this year ad he deserved it anyway.  If they think they can get into the mix next year they have to get his rookie season and its unevenness out of the way now.

34 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I voted yes.

I think we will win at least 8 games for three reasons: 

(1) the O-Line will be better than expected;

(2) Darnold is going to come along quickly; and

(3) we play four games against the Bills and the Dolphins.

8 wins?!?!!  Man, I hope you're right!!

Just now, jgb said:

Wolford better play entire 4th preseason game. Macc gonna look like a dunce if McCown gets hurt. I would seriously actually sign Sanchez as emergency QB.

Wolford?  well, at least we can watch our D destroy the Hack!!

I like your three gifs.  while the butt fumble is embarrassing, I don't think it belongs with the other two.  they still hurt to this day....

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

These results have to be rigged.

59 - 0

Have we all ever agreed on anything?

rigged?  nah.  listen if this was a team like Sanchez came into in '09 it would be a different story.  Sanchez had Clemens as "competition".  it's the only reason he started.  after watching three pre-season games, I do not think we have a very good team.  people forget this team was predicted to go 0-16 last year!  yes, we over performed, but let's no go nuts!! 

you can argue who did better - Sam or Teddy, but the fact that there is even an argument, you go with "The Future".  if we ha da realistic chance at playoffs, sure, you'd start Teddy, but I don't think that's the case.  

I voted yes.

He was going to the starter IMO because TB was trade bait from the beginning and McCown never saw the field. Even in practice he hardly got reps so yeah if Sam showed anything at all he was going to be the guy from the beginning.

Depending on the OL play I can see them winning between 4-7 games. The pass rush is going to play a huge part in the win total as well. If they can get pressure on the opposing QB the win total may change but where that pressure will come from is anyone's guess.

Archived