Bowles Says Penalties Are Not On Him

JetNation

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bowles is such a F'ing moron

these comments are just an extra coating of icing on the 5 story high $h*t for brains coaching cake that he's been "working" on since getting here.

for the love of all that's holy toss the man & his cake in the dumpster out back & light it on fire already!

16 hours ago, Larz said:

He's not wrong. He could have said it better but some point you have to hold the player accountable 

Here's the rub 

Bowles doesn't do that. 

He never benches or punishes anyone 

So it keeps happening 

Yep. What should have already happened by now (yes I'm assuming it hasn't), but certainly after Thursday what's needed, is to stop it cold by being the leader he hasn't been. None of this calm nonsense of reasoning and rationalizing why it's not smart. That goes in one ear and out the other.

It'd be good for Bowles to ahead and lose his temper - do it in front of the whole team, not privately - and tell them here's fair warning in advance: 

"I didn't get drafted, wasn't as talented as half of you, and was still a starter in this league for years on a perennial playoff team and started on a Super Bowl winner. That's the sh** you can show off and brag about, if that's your thing. I've played with and against and seen better players and better trash talkers than anyone here, and no matter how emotional it got on the field we still knew enough not to get these kinds of dumbass flags. In case you didn't notice, we ain't nearly so ****ing great we get to show off to ****ing anybody! Our sorry asses just got beat by the goddamn Browns on national television. So I'd say any and all rubbing-it-in rights have been used up for the rest of the season, and winning a Super Bowl's the only thing gonna take that stench off all y'all. Until then? We ain't halfway good enough to give away extra 15 yards and free first downs and free possessions. The next mother****er who puts himself ahead of all his teammates and all the coaches like that, and gets flagged for things like mocking the other team or the crowd or yelling at a ref or just losing his ****ing cool, is getting benched for the rest of that game plus the full game after that. I don't care if we're up 50 to zip against a team that just cut you. Benched! We got plenty of hungry kids who'd be damned happy for the opportunity to play in place of your dumb ass. And then I'll be damned happy to calmly tell reporters all about it after it happens, so after we drop you and make you a free agent no one forgets your rep as a stupid, selfish mother****er who refuses to keep his head in the game for his teammates. I don't care if it costs winning every game after that and I get canned, because giving games away like this we ain't winning sh** anyhow, and at least I can be proud coaching guys who take this sh** seriously."

Then he can get into the other "regular" flags. But it's got to be loud. It doesn't hit home the same when it's said calmly and rationally because there's no fear instilled. Frankly it's an advantage he has because he's not a constant screamer who yells so much it's all just white noise. So if Bowles does it, it should stand out plenty.

My guess is instead it goes no further than quietly telling the 2 most recent culprits in private:

"C'mon, you're an adult now. You've got to keep your cool because when you do that you let your teammates down. You're better than that, and smarter than that; I know it and you know it." Lol.

And what's not a guess is it'll have pretty much no effect past the next game, if it takes for even that long.

15 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Instead of countering the debate on Bowles, tell us what he is good at, why he should be the Jets HC?   Let’s hear your opinion. If you owned the JETS right now, is Bowles your guy?

I don’t think Bowles is a good coach, but who do you replace him with?

just like Marvin Lewis.  They can “relate” to the players and are politically popular.  I wish we could Parcells back, 30 years younger.  That was a coach.  

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

just like Marvin Lewis.  They can “relate” to the players and are politically popular.  I wish we could Parcells back, 30 years younger.  That was a coach.  

dog whistles..

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

49 minutes ago, varjet said:

Not sure your back ground, but in real business,  they don't tolerate mediocrity.  Books like "Good to Great" for example, talk about GET the RIGHT People. 

Good business's do NOT keep mediocrity around.  

24 minutes ago, Larz said:

I didn't want to quote that thoughtful post @Sperm Edwards     just to add two sentences ? but I also remember Parcells saying "a back that fumbles is somebody else's back" 

Or

"a slot corner that holds on 3rd down is somebody else's slot corner" 

I heard that when Sean Landeta botched the punt that cost the Giants a SB entrance in 1985, he wouldn't let Landetta on the plane.  Landetta flew back commercial.

46 minutes ago, Larz said:

I didn't want to quote that thoughtful post @Sperm Edwards     just to add two sentences ? but I also remember Parcells saying "a back that fumbles is somebody else's back" 

Or

"a slot corner that holds on 3rd down is somebody else's slot corner" 

One I like better from his fat bastard coaching mentor was, “Players only understand 2 things: money and job.”

Absent fearing the loss of said money and job, the types of players that commit penalties like this, and who don’t give their full effort on the field, don’t give a rat’s ass what he says. 

They need to be threatened with being on the bench and threatening their money. I think he really hurt himself as a leader by leaving Mo out there for 2 years until that final month (which may not have even been a Bowles benching anyway; it could have come from above, since a late Mo injury would have guaranteed his 2018 return at another $17m or so).

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yep. What should have already happened by now (yes I'm assuming it hasn't), but certainly after Thursday what's needed, is to stop it cold by being the leader he hasn't been. None of this calm nonsense of reasoning and rationalizing why it's not smart. That goes in one ear and out the other.

It'd be good for Bowles to ahead and lose his temper - do it in front of the whole team, not privately - and tell them here's fair warning in advance: 

"I didn't get drafted, wasn't as talented as half of you, and was still a starter in this league for years on a perennial playoff team and started on a Super Bowl winner. That's the sh** you can show off and brag about, if that's your thing. I've played with and against and seen better players and better trash talkers than anyone here, and no matter how emotional it got on the field we still knew enough not to get these kinds of dumbass flags. In case you didn't notice, we ain't nearly so ****ing great we get to show off to ****ing anybody! Our sorry asses just got beat by the goddamn Browns on national television. So I'd say any and all rubbing-it-in rights have been used up for the rest of the season, and winning a Super Bowl's the only thing gonna take that stench off all y'all. Until then? We ain't halfway good enough to give away extra 15 yards and free first downs and free possessions. The next mother****er who puts himself ahead of all his teammates and all the coaches like that, and gets flagged for things like mocking the other team or the crowd or yelling at a ref or just losing his ****ing cool, is getting benched for the rest of that game plus the full game after that. I don't care if we're up 50 to zip against a team that just cut you. Benched! We got plenty of hungry kids who'd be damned happy for the opportunity to play in place of your dumb ass. And then I'll be damned happy to calmly tell reporters all about it after it happens, so after we drop you and make you a free agent no one forgets your rep as a stupid, selfish mother****er who refuses to keep his head in the game for his teammates. I don't care if it costs winning every game after that and I get canned, because giving games away like this we ain't winning sh** anyhow, and at least I can be proud coaching guys who take this sh** seriously."

Then he can get into the other "regular" flags. But it's got to be loud. It doesn't hit home the same when it's said calmly and rationally because there's no fear instilled. Frankly it's an advantage he has because he's not a constant screamer who yells so much it's all just white noise. So if Bowles does it, it should stand out plenty.

My guess is instead it goes no further than quietly telling the 2 most recent culprits in private:

"C'mon, you're an adult now. You've got to keep your cool because when you do that you let your teammates down. You're better than that, and smarter than that; I know it and you know it." Lol.

And what's not a guess is it'll have pretty much no effect past the next game, if it takes for even that long.

:door flies open:

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

:door flies open:

lol

I doubt it’d need to be half as long as one of my shorter posts, let alone this, but the message would have to be the consequence is the bench.

Right now they’re pissing in his face and he’s telling them why that isn’t nice. It’s hardly working.

He’s not much of a HC regardless, but at least we wouldn’t be wondering if we’d have won if not for handing them a free possession (let alone extending however many of theirs, or cuttting short of our own, due to penalties). 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Not sure your back ground, but in real business,  they don't tolerate mediocrity.  Books like "Good to Great" for example, talk about GET the RIGHT People. 

Good business's do NOT keep mediocrity around.  

It's called negative retention. 

On 9/24/2018 at 7:30 PM, southparkcpa said:

Instead of countering the debate on Bowles, tell us what he is good at, why he should be the Jets HC?   Let’s hear your opinion. If you owned the JETS right now, is Bowles your guy?

Tell me what it has to be with being wrong about the number of penalties and whining like we're leading the league?

Lets hear how making shlt up about a guy who has more than a few deficiencies makes it right to continually be wrong about things that arent an issue?

On 9/24/2018 at 7:36 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

It's the timing and nature of penalties and the lack of accountability for them. Not the volume.

Next.

Which is the perfect answer when someone points out that there havent been a lot of penalties.  Youre actually painting a picture where there are times when penalties are ok?  

Next

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Tell me what it has to be with being wrong about the number of penalties and whining like we're leading the league?

Lets hear how making shlt up about a guy who has more than a few deficiencies makes it right to continually be wrong about things that arent an issue?

Our 0-3 record says everything for me.  We have looked VERY unprepared and undisciplined in the years that Bowles has been here.  That will speak for me.  Im fine with you defending Bowles. He is amongst the worst 3-5 coached in the league.  I expect more from professionals, sad that many of our fans and JETS management does not.

On 9/24/2018 at 12:43 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

The physical act of the penalty is not on him. Allowing players who commit stupid penalties to continue without retribution is. Bench a guy if he commits a selfish dumbass penalty. Everyone will get the point.

Simple really.

To the point. Really really obvious leadership issue.

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Our 0-3 record says everything for me.  We have looked VERY unprepared and undisciplined in the years that Bowles has been here.  That will speak for me.  Im fine with you defending Bowles. He is amongst the worst 3-5 coached in the league.  I expect more from professionals, sad that many of our fans and JETS management does not.

And we're not talking records, we were talking the number of penalties.  The first two seasons we were one of the least penalized teams and this season were 21.  So I dont get why were sticking on the team being among the most penalized teams.  

Most people dont agree.  Doesnt make it less sad that so much time is debated something that really hasnt been an issue when there are, as I said, more than enough to complain about

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Which is the perfect answer when someone points out that there havent been a lot of penalties.  Youre actually painting a picture where there are times when penalties are ok?  

Next

Sometimes penalties happen due to aggressive play or referee translation of rules (PI, Offensive Holding). And then there are presnap procedural penalties that destroy drives before they get started, or moronic and unacceptable personal fouls like taunting and wiping your ass with the ball, or the same guys blatantly grabbing and holding in the defensive backfield over and over again because they havent been COACHED to play without grabbing, or are playing lazy football (Johnson). You dont see a difference?

OK. 

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Sometimes penalties happen due to aggressive play or referee translation of rules (PI, Offensive Holding). And then there are presnap procedural penalties that destroy drives before they get started, or moronic and unacceptable personal fouls like taunting and wiping your ass with the ball, or the same guys blatantly grabbing and holding in the defensive backfield over and over again because they havent been COACHED to play without grabbing, or are playing lazy football (Johnson). You dont see a difference?

OK. 

That you actually are saying, once the idea of excessive penalties have been shot to shlt that it's time to move to some cliche about pre snap penalties being a huge problem is funny.  Yes taunting was stupid.  How many have we had though 3 games?  Holding and hands calls are being emphasized.  Everywhere.  All teams.  Fact is we're the 21st most penalized team.  And that doesn't for the Bowles needs to be blamed for penalties nonsense.  No matter how you try to redress it.  He does a lot wrong, don't make shlt up

Ok?

This is no different than a parent getting called in to a meeting with the principal after lil johnny gets in trouble for wiping a science text book in his asscrack and throwing it across the room. The parent says, "well thats on HIM I cant be around 24/7..."

No....its on YOU

I get the fans who hate Bowles want their pound of flesh but this is the right move.

Bowles should say the penalties are on the players at this point. 

If the coaching staff didn't emphasize penalties then the coaches should be blamed for them. That's not the case. Throughout preseason there was a point of emphasis about penalties. 

Now it's on the players to clean up their play. There the ones who will have to take the responsibility for hurting the team, answering the questions about the penalties since the onus is put on them.  It's probably the better tact to take. 

8 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

This is no different than a parent getting called in to a meeting with the principal after lil johnny gets in trouble for wiping a science text book in his asscrack and throwing it across the room. The parent says, "well thats on HIM I cant be around 24/7..."

No....its on YOU

Crowell is an adult, a professional who knows what's right or wrong, who f'd up. 

Lil Johnny is not.  

8 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I get the fans who hate Bowles want their pound of flesh but this is the right move.

Bowles should say the penalties are on the players at this point. 

If the coaching staff didn't emphasize penalties then the coaches should be blamed for them. That's not the case. Throughout preseason there was a point of emphasis about penalties. 

Now it's on the players to clean up their play. There the ones who will have to take the responsibility for hurting the team, answering the questions about the penalties since the onus is put on them.  It's probably the better tact to take. 

Unless Bowles implements consequences, then it is on him.

On 9/25/2018 at 1:12 PM, peebag said:

What exactly is Bowles supposed to do?  Give specific examples please

1.scream in his face

2. Send him immediately to the locker room

3. Talk sh*t about him to the media

4. Bench him for the next game

5. Fine him

6. Possibly cut him

7. Humiliate him to the practice squad

Any combination of 2 would suffice and send a message

Archived