Maccagnan deserves to stay, but is on the clock now: NYP (Costello)

Lizard King

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, TheGreenGhost said:

Unless the fans start with banners and billboards again and/or the media hammers home the point that this team is seriously devoid of talent, the clueless ownership will stay the course.

Well why doesn’t the media press that point? Because I have heard several people in the media say that the Jets do have talent

It doesn't matter if we replace Mac unless The Johnson boys are willing to do one thing:

Put the GM in charge and not have the coach and GM both report to the owners.

The GM puts the team together, the coach coaches the players he is given.

It seems to me that Bowles has had FAR too much influence on the drafting process.  While there is no smoking gun evidence, the fact that it has been reported that Bowles reported to Woody directly leads me to believe his player personnel desires somehow filter there way through Woody/Chris to Mac.  Unfortunately, that is not how it should work.

That of course does not give Mac an excuse.  He has hit on too few picks. 

QB: Sam Darnold (1-2018) Christian Hackenberg (2-2016) Bryce Petty (4-2015)

RB: Trenton Cannon (6-2018) Elijah McGuire (7-2017)

TE: Chris Herndon (3-2018) Jordan Leggett (5-2017)

WR: ArDarius Stewart (3-2017) Chad Hansen (4-2017) Charone Peake (7-2016) Devin Smith (2-2015)

OL: Brandon Shell RT (5-2016) Jarvis Harrison G (5-2015)

P: Lac Edwards (7-2016)

DEFENSE

DT: Nathan Shepherd (3-2018) Foley Fatukasi (6-2018) Deon Simon (7-2015)

DE: Dylan Donahue (5-2017) Leonard Williams (1-2015)

LB: Darron Lee (1-2016) Jordan Jenkins (3-2016) Lorenzo Mauldin (3-2015)

DB: Parry Nickerson CB (6-2018) Jamal Adams S (1-2017) Marcus Maye S (2-2017) Jeremy Clark CB (6-2017) Derrick Jones CB (6-2017) Justin Burris CB (4-2016)

Williams simply did not work out as the 'can't miss' player.  Perhaps all the losing has negatively impacted him, as did Wilkerson's attitude.  Adams as a safety at 6 is questionable, especially when you go safety again in the 2nd round.  Lee is what Lee is, and we hope we have a QB of the future.  But two OL picks in four drafts below round 4?  NOT good enough.  No pass-rush?  NOT good enough.  No wide receivers of any quality with 4 picks?  NO good enough.  Not in this league.  

Will Mac get another year?  Probably, but he would be gone the following year if 2018 picks don't shine and he doesn't draft anything less than stellar in 2019.

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

It doesn't matter if we replace Mac unless The Johnson boys are willing to do one thing:

Put the GM in charge and not have the coach and GM both report to the owners.

The GM puts the team together, the coach coaches the players he is given.

It seems to me that Bowles has had FAR too much influence on the drafting process.  While there is no smoking gun evidence, the fact that it has been reported that Bowles reported to Woody directly leads me to believe his player personnel desires somehow filter there way through Woody/Chris to Mac.  Unfortunately, that is not how it should work.

That of course does not give Mac an excuse.  He has hit on too few picks. 

QB: Sam Darnold (1-2018) Christian Hackenberg (2-2016) Bryce Petty (4-2015)

RB: Trenton Cannon (6-2018) Elijah McGuire (7-2017)

TE: Chris Herndon (3-2018) Jordan Leggett (5-2017)

WR: ArDarius Stewart (3-2017) Chad Hansen (4-2017) Charone Peake (7-2016) Devin Smith (2-2015)

OL: Brandon Shell RT (5-2016) Jarvis Harrison G (5-2015)

P: Lac Edwards (7-2016)

DEFENSE

DT: Nathan Shepherd (3-2018) Foley Fatukasi (6-2018) Deon Simon (7-2015)

DE: Dylan Donahue (5-2017) Leonard Williams (1-2015)

LB: Darron Lee (1-2016) Jordan Jenkins (3-2016) Lorenzo Mauldin (3-2015)

DB: Parry Nickerson CB (6-2018) Jamal Adams S (1-2017) Marcus Maye S (2-2017) Jeremy Clark CB (6-2017) Derrick Jones CB (6-2017) Justin Burris CB (4-2016)

Williams simply did not work out as the 'can't miss' player.  Perhaps all the losing has negatively impacted him, as did Wilkerson's attitude.  Adams as a safety at 6 is questionable, especially when you go safety again in the 2nd round.  Lee is what Lee is, and we hope we have a QB of the future.  But two OL picks in four drafts below round 4?  NOT good enough.  No pass-rush?  NOT good enough.  No wide receivers of any quality with 4 picks?  NO good enough.  Not in this league.  

Will Mac get another year?  Probably, but he would be gone the following year if 2018 picks don't shine and he doesn't draft anything less than stellar in 2019.

Now Leonard Williams to me seems like a case of fantasy football. People look at the stats alone. I don’t know. He may have zero impact in total but I don’t know

Mac’s time should be up. But I think he’ll get a pass, and this trade deadline has revealed just as much. No desperation moves were made. No moves at all. Sounds like he has assurances from ownership that he will be able to finish his rebuild. Idzik made a desperate move when be traded for Percy Harvin, because he knew he had to turn things around, or he was gone. Didn’t work obviously, but it was the work of a desperate man. Mac didn’t flinch.

If the season continues to go down, I think Mac stays but a new HC / VP of Football Ops will be calling the shots, or a VP position alone will be hired and maybe give Mac one more hear before getting the axe.

Noway the Johnsons are going to compromise Darnold’s development. He’ll be putting asses in the seats for 15 years if this is handled right. I say you reach out to Holmgren or Shanahan, two guys with QB backgrounds, who have an extensive coaching tree of their own, both understand an offensive system that is tailor made for Sam Darnold. Let one of them get the HC, let them target players in the draft, let them lay the structure for the organization.

Speaking of Shanahan, that brings us to Bates. I still cannot believe that the conservative gameplans used in 4 of our 5 losses (Mia game wasn’t conservative) are the work of Jeremy Bates. I know its Bowles. Why did Morton get fired? Not because his offense didn’t produce...but because he didn’t do what Bowles wanted. Bates has no choice but to listen to the HC, or he’s gone. 

36 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Said nobody EVER in ANY sport....

You draft bad, your team gets bad in a real hurry

I get what he’s saying though. It’s MUCH WORSE to miss on drafts when you are specifically in a rebuild or a competitive rebuild as Mac tried calling it for 2015 and 2016. 

5 hours ago, slats said:

Is it? 

I hate playing devil's advocate here because no one should be happy right now, but I'd say it is. His type of injury is one of those obnoxious lingering ones that you can't really be rushed back from.  On top of that, of the 4 games he did play, he played really well in 3 of them.  Especially when he was actually playing press-man coverage and not our HC/DC's sorry excuse for off-zone coverage packages.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

I don't know - Bowles refusing to play the young QBs I think can be largely dispelled by the combination of this decision, and the fact that the non-young QBs he's had in the past, were the only ones that were competent on the roster.  Bowles refused to start Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty - those are both decisions we can understand when we consider that Hackenberg is on his 3rd practice squad and has an identical NFL stat line to Klacko and Bryce Petty is unemployed.  So, I have no problem with the idea that Todd Bowles started the 1st semi-competent or better young QB he got his hands on.

The team may look different w/ a different coach, but then, what exactly is Mac's job?  Even if we say that Bowles says, I want a player like Darron Lee, is it not Mac's job to say, we'll find that, but we're going to look for it in round 3.  In round 1, we need to be focused on x,y,z.  If Bowles says, I love Jamal Adams, isn't it Mac's job to say, I do too, but Patrick Mahommes is on the board, and while I love what Adams can bring to the defense, he won't have the overall impact that Mahommes can?  I know we need corners, but I just don't see what value Trumaine Johnson brings, especially for that cost.

I would agree but Todd has shown that he favors the vet and has said many times, Josh McCown is his favorite player he's ever coached.  I think Bowles would have preferred Josh.  Especially for the 3 games in 10 days thingy but who knows.  Your point is certainly valid.  Though, he had Geno and never went to him when Fitz was literally throwing the season away.  Either way, we may never know who's decision it truly was to start Sam...and I aint mad either! 

As to your 2nd point, well, yeah....if those conversation arent happening and it kind of seems like they're not...than, your question is great.  What is Mac's job? 

5 hours ago, JiF said:

This is so true and it's why I fully expect both back next year.  It would be one thing if Mac had been truly building a talented team and just wasnt seeing the results ie; the Jags under Bradley.  But that's not the case.  This team sucks something awful and has very little talent, so a clean sweep is the only answer but it's not going to happen.  I just dont see a scenario where Todd Bowles decided on his own to start the youngest week 1 starter in NFL history.  I dont believe for 1 second that was his decision and I think it came with a guarantee for next year.

There is a weird part of me that wonders what this team would look like if Mac was partnered with someone other than Todd.  It's very clear to me that Todd has heavily influenced the building of this team.  I do think Mac takes the back seat on a lot of personnel decisions and defers to Todd.  That said, Mac hasnt hit on any mid rounds picks so who knows.  They might just both suck equally.

good points.  they work together and it would seem mac gets the players (or types of players) bowles wants.  just who are either of these guys accountable to?. woody? chris?  what do they know about the nfl?

1 hour ago, TheGreenGhost said:

Unless the fans start with banners and billboards again and/or the media hammers home the point that this team is seriously devoid of talent, the clueless ownership will stay the course.

Tony Romo basically covered the media part of that for 3 hours on Sunday.

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

I would agree but Todd has shown that he favors the vet and has said many times, Josh McCown is his favorite player he's ever coached.  I think Bowles would have preferred Josh.  Especially for the 3 games in 10 days thingy but who knows.  Your point is certainly valid.  Though, he had Geno and never went to him when Fitz was literally throwing the season away.  Either way, we may never know who's decision it truly was to start Sam...and I aint mad either! 

As to your 2nd point, well, yeah....if those conversation arent happening and it kind of seems like they're not...than, your question is great.  What is Mac's job? 

I think you answered that question already. Mac has no power over Bowles on who plays, and Bowles loves vets(McCown.) Think that kinda leads one way...order came from the top, Chris Johnson.

23 minutes ago, TheGreenGhost said:

Agreed, but were Johnson and Johnson listening? 

What I mean is an all out NY media blitz about how this roster is built for the CFL.

The last owner we had that actually listened to how bad the organization had become was  Leon Hess, back at the end of the 1996 season, when he cleaned house and bought in Parcells. Woody in all his years of ownership has never decided to bring in a true football man to run the operation. He must be convinced that his way works. The value of his franchise has almost tripled during his time, so can you really argue with him? That said, does an owner who said a few years back that he would rather have a certain candidate win the election than the Jets win the Super Bowl, really, truly care if his team is elite? As long as the NFL is the goose that keeps laying the golden eggs for owners, I honestly don't think he cares one bit.

7 hours ago, TeddEY said:

No one likes to talk about it practically, but if you keep Mac, you have to keep Bowles.

Otherwise, you keep Mac for another 3 years, at a minimum.

You cannot have Mac hire a coach, and then fire Mac and that coach after one year.

You cannot have Mac hire a coach, and then fire Mac and make a new GM keep that coach.

So, you either fire them both this year, or give them both one more year.  There's no option 3 that makes any practical sense.

^^

Can them both 

Kthxbai

48 minutes ago, section314 said:

The last owner we had that actually listened to how bad the organization had become was  Leon Hess, back at the end of the 1996 season, when he cleaned house and bought in Parcells. Woody in all his years of ownership has never decided to bring in a true football man to run the operation. He must be convinced that his way works. The value of his franchise has almost tripled during his time, so can you really argue with him? That said, does an owner who said a few years back that he would rather have a certain candidate win the election than the Jets win the Super Bowl, really, truly care if his team is elite? As long as the NFL is the goose that keeps laying the golden eggs for owners, I honestly don't think he cares one bit.

We've had a run of first time GM's and coaches since Woody has taken over. I have to imagine our new hires at both spots have been the least experienced in all of football. Not once have we hired someone that had proven experience.

So many of these posts are ridiculous.  In two weeks when the team is 5-5 the whole conversation will change. A few points:

1. Mac is THE guy running football operations.  It's not like a few years ago when we had Rex, Tannenbaum and Terry Bradshaw constantly bumping heads.  Who made the decision to trade for Tebow???  No one knows.  Now Mac makes the decisions.  Period.  It's better this way.
  2. Mac is 1 or 2 players away from having a very solid defense.  He is also able to fill many needs on offense in '19 free agency. 
  3. Bart Scott is right.  Mac needs to sign a LT in free agency.  Donovan Smith from the Bucs may be the guy.  The Bucs have made Marpet and Ryan Jensen two of the highest paid OL in the league and they can't afford a third.  
  4. Mac is a #1 receiver away from giving Darnold all the targets he needs.  He can sign Devin Funchess to play that role.  Funchess/QE/Anderson/Free agent or draft pick would be a very solid group.  The tight end position is finally resolved.
  5. Mac has not had great drafts.  That's a fact.  However, the last two have been significantly better.  Adams/Maye/McGuire/DARNOLD/Sheppard/Leggett/Herndon/Canon/Nickerson.  As I pointed out in a previous post, George Young did not start out well for the Giants.  The owners let it play out and we all know how that turned out.
  6. As poor as some of his drafts have been, Mac has done very well with trades.  Sheldon for Kearse and a #2.  Trading down to nab Darnold.  Henry Anderson for a seventh.  All good to great moves.  
  7. A solid running back can be signed in free agency.  No need to sign Bell.

For all the griping on this site you would think we were the 1-7 Giants.  We're 3-5 with crippling injuries and winnable games ahead.  Did anyone really think we were going to be much better this season???  If you did, you are the ones who should be fired!  :)

Connor RogersVerified account @ConnorJRogers
Replying to @ROUTE413

experience doesn't always mean good. The #JetsNYJets2018.png have some really good, younger scouts in there right now for the first time in awhile - 2017+2018 classes were improvements. If they tear it down again, no one is going to want to come with the new regime bc lack of security

Bottom line

9 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

So many of these posts are ridiculous.  In two weeks when the team is 5-5 the whole conversation will change. A few points:

1. Mac is THE guy running football operations.  It's not like a few years ago when we had Rex, Tannenbaum and Terry Bradshaw constantly bumping heads.  Who made the decision to trade for Tebow???  No one knows.  Now Mac makes the decisions.  Period.  It's better this way.
  2. Mac is 1 or 2 players away from having a very solid defense.  He is also able to fill many needs on offense in '19 free agency. 
  3. Bart Scott is right.  Mac needs to sign a LT in free agency.  Donovan Smith from the Bucs may be the guy.  The Bucs have made Marpet and Ryan Jensen two of the highest paid OL in the league and they can't afford a third.  
  4. Mac is a #1 receiver away from giving Darnold all the targets he needs.  He can sign Devin Funchess to play that role.  Funchess/QE/Anderson/Free agent or draft pick would be a very solid group.  The tight end position is finally resolved.
  5. Mac has not had great drafts.  That's a fact.  However, the last two have been significantly better.  Adams/Maye/McGuire/DARNOLD/Sheppard/Leggett/Herndon/Canon/Nickerson.  As I pointed out in a previous post, George Young did not start out well for the Giants.  The owners let it play out and we all know how that turned out.
  6. As poor as some of his drafts have been, Mac has done very well with trades.  Sheldon for Kearse and a #2.  Trading down to nab Darnold.  Henry Anderson for a seventh.  All good to great moves.  

For all the griping on this site you would think we were the 1-7 Giants.  We're 3-5 with crippling injuries and winnable games ahead.  Did anyone really think we were going to be much better this season???  If you did, you are the ones who should be fired!  :)

So you're saying in the 3 years he's been year with huge amounts of cap to spend and multiple draft picks, we still have an an incomplete defense, no LT, no #1 receiver and no running back?  Yeah, he's doing an excellent job.

The real point is Mac passed on plenty offensive weapons and ignored the OL for 3 years while he "built" a defense that still gets torched and is in the middle (at best) of the league.  Then he drafts Darnold with no weapons or OL in place from 3 previous drafts and free agency periods so that he has to run for his life while playing with a bunch of JAGs at essentially every position.

34 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

3.  Bart Scott is right.  Mac needs to sign a LT in free agency.  Donovan Smith from the Bucs may be the guy.  The Bucs have made Marpet and Ryan Jensen two of the highest paid OL in the league and they can't afford a third.  

LMAO I stopped reading after the defense comment.  The Jets are number 27 in total defense. lol The 26 teams in front of the jets can say the same thing.  You can't make this stuff up 

41 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:
Replying to @ROUTE413

experience doesn't always mean good. The #JetsNYJets2018.png have some really good, younger scouts in there right now for the first time in awhile - 2017+2018 classes were improvements. If they tear it down again, no one is going to want to come with the new regime bc lack of security

Bottom line

The lack of security is just a symptom. The reason no one wants to work here is that the owner is an overbearing, self-important doofus who doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground. If stabilty is the cure, precisely how much longer do we need to keep these bozos around before leaguewide perceptions of the Jets magically change? Another year? Two? Or do we just keep them around indefinitely?

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The lack of security is just a symptom. The reason no one wants to work here is that the owner is an overbearing, self-important doofus who doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground. If stabilty is the cure, precisely how much longer do we need to keep these bozos around before leaguewide perceptions of the Jets magically change? Another year? Two? Or do we just keep them around indefinitely?

Macc is probably one year away from being up there with Matt Millen and Bowles will become our own lovable loser, a poor version of Marvin Lewis.

48 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:
Replying to @ROUTE413

Bottom line

If this was year 2 or 3 of this regime, I would agree and perception was my concern. This is not year 4 and Bowles at the very least has to be gone and the league has seen that we are more than patient.

Firing Mac shouldn’t be a question but sinc it is and he is likely staying, they need to figure out how to use Heimerdinger or whatever the f*ck his stupid name is and/or have a president of football overseeing everything that can slowly push Mac out without too much backlash if that is the concern. 

Mac’s tenure as GM started as a week GM with minimal power since he was equal to the head coach. I’m sure he won’t mind someone else above him to oversee the whole operation. What choice would he have? That or get fired. 

6 hours ago, KRL said:

Stupid article, they both go or both stay.  They're linked at the hip 

No they're not.

It was a forced marriage.  They're both tight lipped so we'll never know how much they disagree but my guess is it's more than people think.  Bottom line Macc is better at his job than Bowles is. 

Fire Bowles..  let Macc pick his coach...  see the rebuild through.

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

No they're not.

It was a forced marriage.  They're both tight lipped so we'll never know how much they disagree but my guess is it's more than people think.  Bottom line Macc is better at his job than Bowles is. 

Fire Bowles..  let Macc pick his coach...  see the rebuild through.

hell yeah

That $100 mil is not going to go nearly as far as most here think. Resigning key players alone will cost $40mil minimum (Q,Robbie,Kearse,Claiborne, Anderson) and probably another $20mil in depth and roster filling before we even target any big names or quality fringe starters and depth.

It’s foolish to think that our cap space is going to solve all of our problems. It’ll help, mainly by being able to resign many and keep the core together but good players rarely hit FA anymore so it will only marginally help. 

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

That $100 mil is not going to go nearly as far as most here think. Resigning key players alone will cost $40mil minimum (Q,Robbie,Kearse,Claiborne, Anderson) and probably another $20mil in depth and roster filling before we even target any big names or quality fringe starters and depth.

It’s foolish to think that our cap space is going to solve all of our problems. It’ll help, mainly by being able to resign many and keep the core together but good players rarely hit FA anymore so it will only marginally help. 

No way I sign Robbie unless its DIRT cheap he's a JAG 

10 hours ago, Lizard King said:

It only appeared that Sam Darnold’s favorite play Sunday against the Bears was the rollout right and chuck it into the fifth row.

Who could blame the kid?

Jets receivers looked like they were handcuffed to Chicago defenders as they created as much separation as you usually have from the overweight guy in the middle seat.

The Jets injury issues at wide receiver have been well-documented. No Quincy Enunwa. No Robby Anderson. No chance. But the Jets’ problems at the position did not just start in October with those injuries. They began in April 2017 when they used a third-round pick and a fourth-round pick on wide receivers — ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen, respectively.

Neither are on the team just 18 months after getting drafted. I am currently spending more time in an NFL locker room than either of them, as they are free agents, hoping to get picked up by someone.

Those two should have provided the depth the Jets needed right now. Taking two players at the same position who both failed is a big mark against general manager Mike Maccagnan.

Todd Bowles has taken the brunt of the criticism this week with the Jets at 3-5 for the third straight year. But Bowles did not get here alone. Maccagnan shares the same 23-33 record in charge of the Jets that Bowles does. To paraphrase the old Bill Parcells line, Maccagan bought the groceries that Bowles has made a meal out of.

I don’t think Maccagnan should be fired. Ownership fully endorsed the rebuild plan in 2017, knowing the idea was to tear things down in Year 1, find a quarterback and a few pieces in Year 2 and then ramp things up in 2019 when there would be nearly $100 million in cap space. Maccagnan deserves to see that plan through.

Nevertheless, he should not escape scrutiny for the current state of the team. Maccagnan has made some really good trades and second-tier signings that I have praised him for previously. Turning Sheldon Richardson into a second-round pick and Jermaine Kearse was shrewd. Moving up to get the No. 3 pick and Darnold this year was terrific. He has found some under-the-radar talent such as Brandon Copeland, Andre Roberts and Henry Anderson who have all made plays this year.

But Maccagnan has whiffed on his bigger signings and much of his drafting outside of the top 10. The signings of Darrelle Revis and Muhammad Wilkerson (a combined $76 million guaranteed) blew up in his face. It is too early to judge the five-year, $72.5 million deal he gave cornerback Trumaine Johnson this year.

In the draft, Maccagnan has hit on Leonard Williams (sixth overall in 2015), Jamal Adams (sixth overall in 2017) and Marcus Maye (second round in 2017). It appears his 2018 draft class may be his best with Darnold, Chris Herndon, Nathan Shepherd, Trenton Cannon and Parry Nickerson all showing promise. But his previous three classes have already taken some hits. Only 10 of the 22 players taken between 2015-17 remain on the active roster. That number will get a boost if Elijah McGuire is taken off IR this week.

There is a clear need for weapons to surround Darnold, but Maccagnan has failed at finding them in the draft. He has drafted four receivers — Stewart, Hansen, Charone Peake and Devin Smith. Only Peake remains on the team and he is primarily a special teams player.

The playmakers were there to be taken, but Maccagnan missed them. Chiefs superstar running back Kareem Hunt was drafted seven picks after Stewart in 2017. Buccaneers s receiver Chris Godwin, who has four touchdowns this season, went five picks after Stewart. Lions receiver Kenny Golladay, who has three touchdowns, went later in the third round.

Hansen (nine career catches) and Stewart (six career catches) flopped and the Jets paid the price for that Sunday.

Maccagnan deserves another offseason to build this roster, but he can’t afford many more misses.

Id rather start Clyde Gates than give Maccagnan another opportunity to ruin another draft.

Archived