Want to be absolutely livid tonight? Look no further.

Patriot Killa

Mehta: Why not firing Todd Bowles mid-season is right call (simmer down, Jets fans)

Woody and Christopher Johnson made a shrewd and smart decision Monday to refuse to give into an angry mob looking for a pound of flesh.

The Daily News first reported that embattled Jets head coach Todd Bowles is expected to stick around for the rest of this disappointing season.

Ownership will evaluate everything by season’s end as they intended all along. Although it’s tempting to give into emotion and impulse, the Johnson brothers have chosen the proper path given all the dynamics at play.

There are myriad reasons why I don’t think it make sense to fire Bowles with six games left.

First things first: The fans don’t run this organization.

Rightly or wrongly, there’s a feeling in league circles that Jets ownership has been too swayed by frustrated – and sometimes illogical — fans in the past. General managers, front office executives, coaches, players, agents, head coaching candidates and general manager candidates have told me through the years that that perception has shaped their opinion of the organization.

Christopher Johnson has helped bring a rationale and measured edge to the franchise in the past year and a half. It’s naïve to believe that Woody Johnson, serving as the UK Ambassador for the Trump Administration, isn’t in the loop for major decisions, but his brother has taken a decidedly mature approach on big-picture decisions.

You don’t need to be a mind reader to know that everyone is frustrated over the current state of affairs on One Jets Drive. There are culprits far and wide that got this team to 3-7 entering the bye week.

Bowles, who signed an extension last December through 2020, hasn’t been good enough. General manager Mike Maccagnan, who signed an extension last December through 2020, hasn’t been good enough. The rest of the coaches haven’t been good enough. The players haven’t been good enough.

It’s unfair to blame one person, because it takes far more than one person to induce this kind of headache. But the head coach is ultimately responsible for the product on the field. It’s not necessarily fair, but this is a cut-throat business where fairness ranks 101st on the Top 100 List of things that matter.

Do the Jets need talent upgrades at about seven different starting positions? Yes.

Did Maccagnan whiff on way too many premium-round picks (first three rounds)? Yes.

Has Maccagnan distinguished himself as a scout who can unearth late-round gems in the draft? No.

Will any of that ultimately help Bowles’ case on Black Monday? No.

The Johnsons have not fired a head coach in-season since buying the team in 2000. There’s a ripple effect that will do more harm than good if they did it this time.

Fans out for blood don’t understand or care about the deleterious ramifications that an in-season firing will have on this team for the final seven weeks.

"It’s not my first rodeo,” Bowles said about the booing and venom from fans at MetLife Stadium on Sunday. “When you win games. People cheer. When you lose games, people boo. I get it. It’s part of sports."

Those fans want Bowles out right now, but what would that actually accomplish?

Getting rid of him during the bye week would be nothing more than a public relations move that would satiate fans, who aren’t exactly going to be energized by the interim head coach for the final six games anyway.

I’m sure there were a litany of factors that were considered before keeping Bowles.

Firing him now could adversely affect this young team and create unneeded chaos.

Team leaders repeated their belief in Bowles after Sunday’s embarrassing 41-10 loss to the Bills. It’s fair to think that players will try to rally around Bowles after the bye week and down the stretch.

One source told me that “it’s a foregone conclusion” that Bowles will not be coaching the team in 2019, but something good could be salvaged by the players with a strong finish. Pulling the plug on Bowles now might prompt the younger players that believe in their head coach to shut it down.

There’s also no good reason to create additional in-season disruption for Sam Darnold. One of the primary goals for this season was to help cultivate Darnold’s prodigious talent. So, getting rid of offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates would impact Darnold in the wrong way. Remember: Bates is also the quarterbacks coach.

Bowles admitted Monday that he will be “reevaluating everything as the days go by,” including staff and/or play-caller changes. Bowles is the primary defensive play-caller, so moving on from him would inevitably make the defense worse.

Another reason why keeping Bowles the rest of the way made sense: There’s not a slam-dunk interim replacement. There is nobody on the staff with prior NFL head coaching experience. Wide receivers coach Karl Dorrell (college head coaching experience) and offensive line coach/run-game coordinator Rick Dennison (offensive coordinator four different times) would have been the two top options.

In some ways, Bowles got a raw deal given that he hasn’t exactly been stocked with talent on his roster.

There are swings and misses all over Maccagnan’s drafts. Some of that is a product of the GM’s poor evaluations. Some of that is the GM giving in to the coaches’ preferences.

The bottom line: The Jets brought in players who were ultimately cut and couldn’t even stick on other teams’ rosters (see: Christian Hackenberg, Devin Smith, Lorenzo Mauldin, ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, etc).

In other ways, there’s no excuse for not being competitive against one of the most horrific offenses of this generation on Sunday.

Rationale people knew that the Jets would experience growing pains with a 21-year-old rookie quarterback, but the team’s inconsistency has been maddening. Bowles had a 16-year veteran quarterback on Sunday, but the offense still stunk.

And his defense got embarrassed by Matt Freakin’ Barkley. Something different seems to crop up virtually every week.

The weekly preparation has been solid, but the inability to adjust to new wrinkles from opponents on gamedays has been a fair and legitimate criticism.

Everyone shares the blame for what has happened this season, but everyone isn’t getting fired.

Christopher Johnson has repeatedly said that he will evaluate the team’s progress by development of the younger players rather than the team’s record. He’s been patient and fair at a time when his paying customers wanted him to give into impulse. He wisely did not.

Seven more weeks remain in his evaluation. Bowles’ fate seems inevitable, but pulling the plug now never made sense.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no reason to be livid.  The Jets never get anything right. 

They might have drafted the right QB... they kept Bowles.

They fire Bowles, the next coach will be wrong and damage Darnold.

Macc is on the fringe... they will make the wrong choice with him, whatever that is.

Last time they hired the wrong guys to hire the wrong guy(s).  That one is actually kinda funny when you say it aloud...

What is the point?  Seriously, when do we as fans decide to quit?  I am close.  If this next coach is a boring retread, buh-bye.

NOBODY IN THAT ORGANIZATION HAS ANY IDEA WHAT THE (BLEEP) THEY ARE DOING!  Time to move past the anger stage and into acceptance.

23 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Todd Bowles can’t get a defense full of 1st round picks and high priced FA’s to stop Brock Osweiler and Matt F’n Barkley.

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

And his defense got embarrassed by Matt Freakin’ Barkley.

- Mehta

if ur reading this Mehta, inbox me, I got you a solid piece for 70 bucks.

The man has no earthy clue at all, that being manish.  The fans are right about the foibles of this team usually at least a year to two years ahead of the decision makers.  It makes less sens to hang onto a disaster of a coach then to keep him just for.....well just for the sake of keeping him.

Take away all the things that poor todd bowlses cannot control and see whats left.  Still an awful awful awful coach, worst i have seen since i have been a jets fan.

21 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Dude if this honestly makes you livid perhaps it’s time to take a break.

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m getting tired of you telling me to take a break. Why don’t you take a break from telling me to take a break and i’ll think about it tomorrow.

RJF takes lots of breaks. He's consumed every book, movie and album from the past 100 years, and written a dissertation on every single one of them. He's a golden gloves boxer, a weight lifter, a mountaineer, he's donated both kidneys to Ling-Ling the Panda, and he spends all day, every day posting on JN for the past ~10 years.

The entire KEY to why we suck is the fact that these 2 buffoons were given extensions.  For what??.  

This organization is just crap from the top down.  Extensions to 2 men who have literally not made the JETS even a little better?

I feel sorry for season ticket owners.. time to get a hobby on Sunday. 

This is like a movie.. brother becomes ambassador to England, gives other brother a football team and fans still spend money.  I will not spend a dime in any form on this team until management gets its shlt together. 

42 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

wear my heart on my sleeve. It is what it is.??‍♂️ People don’t have to acknowledge it if they don’t agree with my emotional approach to the franchise.

don't let anyones gripes change your posting style..  I have thousands of buttfumbles and little red arrows pointing downward on my posts..  who gives a f...  Those people are wrong.  All I can do is try and show them the error of their ways.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

don't let anyones gripes change your posting style..  I have thousands of buttfumbles and little red arrows pointing downward on my posts..  who gives a f...  Those people are wrong.  All I can do is try and show them the error of their ways.

co-signed with a buttfumble

39 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

RJF takes lots of breaks. He's consumed every book, movie and album from the past 100 years, and written a dissertation on every single one of them. He's a golden gloves boxer, a weight lifter, a mountaineer, he's donated both kidneys to Ling-Ling the Panda, and he spends all day, every day posting on JN for the past ~10 years.

I think you missed 8th ranked break dancer above the mason dixon line.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I feel like he definitely reads this board. He took several posts from our threads WORD FOR WORD for this article.

including mine.

He DEFINITELY reads this board.  I’m pretty sure he took something I wrote, verbatim, and laughed  it off while defending Bowles...was about a month ago.

Thats alright, it’s actually a complement to most of the guys who post here.

So the same guy who cried to Woody Johnson that Doug Marrone was a meanie thinks Jets fans are silly to want Bowles fired. If ownership cares what Mehta thinks about anything they are fools; based on the Marrone thing, that is in fact true.

Having said that though, this broken clock is right to the point that there is nothing accomplished by dumping him now rather than at 10AM on December 31st, 2018. We don't need a dead cat bounce or a candidate getting a leg up for winning a  few meaningless games.

Archived