Brandon Shell

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Bowles said he's having an MRI today but "doesn't expect him back any time soon."  I'm guessing ACL based on how he went down.  Hopefully can be ready for next year.

I also agree he is a solid player.

He probably won’t be ready by week 1 which is unfortunate. I think he needs to be upgraded and would be a great depth tackle. Ijalana is a joke but Shell may be perfect for that role. Not sure if he can play backup LT in a pinch. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

He probably won’t be ready by week 1 which is unfortunate. I think he needs to be upgraded and would be a great depth tackle. Ijalana is a joke but Shell may be perfect for that role. Not sure if he can play backup LT in a pinch. 

This is late in the season for an ACL.   Unlikely he is of the same ability next season-He will likely not get full training camp experience, etc.  

This is an underrated problem.  Shell was one of the few offensive players that did not need to be replaced next year.  Add him to the list. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It would all depend on what is all damaged.  If it's just an ACL and they can get in there in a week or 2, regular season isn't unreasonable for an OL.  If it's more than an ACL, you are probably right.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

This is late in the season for an ACL.   Unlikely he is of the same ability next season-He will likely not get full training camp experience, etc.  

This is an underrated problem.  Shell was one of the few offensive players that did not need to be replaced next year.  Add him to the list. 

Yeah it stinks and he was not part of he problem. I just think he is overrated and can be upgraded. This also shows just why depth is important and underrated.

You need 1 solid tackle reserve and 1 solid interior line reserve that can play multiple positions. I’d love if we found this or even just found someone to hold the fort until he gets off the PUP list or whatever will happen to Shell. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It would all depend on what is all damaged.  If it's just an ACL and they can get in there in a week or 2, regular season isn't unreasonable for an OL.  If it's more than an ACL, you are probably right.

I have no clue but I worry about larger/heavier  players with these type of injuries. It’s a lot of extra stress. Hopefully he doesn’t rush and recovers the right way.

• Thumb Down 1

doesn't look good.. now with 2 down and little in reserve, maybe it’s time to play Webb a bit.. all these bad qb injuries makes me paranoid ha. We know this yr is a wash, but I this fan base couldn’t handle darnold missing games start of Next season just for mop up games.  Let’s audition Webb for the number 2 for next yr 

EA4F004B-8F48-43ED-B39B-22FBE0D7105D.png

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It looked pretty bad considering all of the players from both teams who came over to Shell while he was on the cart.   Even if its just the ACL, you can’t really count on him to be there and be the starting RT next year.  Have to consider him a back up and plan accordingly.  

• Upvote 1

en Braden will probably be active the final two games of the season. He can backup G and RT. Diegot Joseph will probably be added from the practice squad. There are always a few decent veterans floating around who might be signed. CFL OT Ryker Mathews from BYU has had some NFL tryouts

This team needs at least a LT and C. now they may be without Shell for all of next season. Shell is young and is part of the future. If he tore his ACL, then the next GM, or god forbid Mac, needs to sign a solid vet to a 1 year contract. Is Andre Whitworth still playing? he's the perfect example. old guy, playing at a pro bowl level. 

33 minutes ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

This team needs at least a LT and C. now they may be without Shell for all of next season. Shell is young and is part of the future. If he tore his ACL, then the next GM, or god forbid Mac, needs to sign a solid vet to a 1 year contract. Is Andre Whitworth still playing? he's the perfect example. old guy, playing at a pro bowl level. 

I wanted Whitworth 2 years ago but hey he was too old right?  Beachum is fine at LT is he great no but he’s not bad either

This offseason sign OT Trent Brown and C Matt Paradis.  I also like the Broncos TE Jeff Heurman he is a good in line blocker who can occasionally make a play

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He's okay. For a fifth round pick he's solid but I think that's a position we should be trying to upgrade... Same for C, LG, RG, and LT.

I'm splitting hairs (it's what I do), but it was really a fourth rounder, as Mac traded a 2017 4th rounder to pick Shell in the 5th in 2016.

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

doesn't look good.. now with 2 down and little in reserve, maybe it’s time to play Webb a bit.. all these bad qb injuries makes me paranoid ha. We know this yr is a wash, but I this fan base couldn’t handle darnold missing games start of Next season just for mop up games.  Let’s audition Webb for the number 2 for next yr 

I'm with you. WAKE UP Todd, Plaqy Webb and let's see what we have in him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Hope you're wrong Phil.

Trent Brown we need to throw a ton of money at in the offseason.  My only conflict on this was Beachum is a functional LT but now that Shell is probably not back until halfway next season bring in Brown and have him start at RT.  Beachum has one year left on his deal and is affordable after 2019 we let him walk move Brown to LT then. Shell takes over RT again

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

Shell is arguably our best lineman, had an excellent year and hopefully can be ready for at least 13 or so games next year.

Geez, you must have really gotten used to the sh*tty OL play.  10 years ago, the Jets had the best RT in the game starting for them.  Shell is average.  Beachum is slightly better than him.

7 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

EA4F004B-8F48-43ED-B39B-22FBE0D7105D.png

Webb will be bagging groceries in 2 years. Give Darnold the reps 

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I wanted Whitworth 2 years ago but hey he was too old right?  Beachum is fine at LT is he great no but he’s not bad either

This offseason sign OT Trent Brown and C Matt Paradis.  I also like the Broncos TE Jeff Heurman he is a good in line blocker who can occasionally make a play

Sorry, but Beachum is a disaster, gets beat like a drum and penalties galore . Must totally revamp the offensive line regardless of the severity of the damage to Shell, who I thought showed great promise last year, but was a bit of a disappointment this season. Carpenter also has outstayed his usefulness.  Maybe slide the center over to left guard, where he played better, draft/sign a center and another piece or two. Put Ijalana on the next train to  Clarksville , amongst others.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jet Life said:

Webb will be bagging groceries in 2 years. Give Darnold the reps 

Ok.. opinion. Don't see why we can’t give kid a chance.. I don’t think anyone thought 6th round pick  Tom Brady would amount to much until he was given a chance. Except his team never blew chunks like ours, so he only got his chance due to injury.. there are not many advantages to playing meaningless games in yet another sh*t season, but protecting your biggest asset, and kicking the wheels for his backup, is a smart play.. I don’t want Mac and Bowles to risk serious injury with darnold, just because they are fighting for their jobs..

10 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

I'm with you. WAKE UP Todd, Plaqy Webb and let's see what we have in him.

Well bowles, and mac are in “ win now “ because five or 6 wins may save their jobs.. desperate HCs, gms shouldn’t be allowed to make decisions in wash seasons. Look how desperate macadoo was last yr, idiot was so desperate he thought geno fing smith could come in and save his job ??

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Well bowles, and mac are in “ win now “ because five or 6 wins may save their jobs.. desperate HCs, gms shouldn’t be allowed to make decisions in wash seasons. Look how desperate macadoo was last yr, idiot was so desperate he thought geno fing smith could come in and save his job ??

Macc is safe barring some great HC coming in that wants his staff in place.

Bowles is gone and still fighting which is a good message to our young players to keep fighting no matter what.  it's taken almost 4 full years but I've finally been impressed w/ Bowles these last couple of weeks. 

McAdoo made the Eli move b/c he thought he was secure.  why would he think otherwise? he came off an 11 win season in year 1 w/o a QB and the team was injury ravaged year 2.  He knew it was time to move on from Eli and w/ the blessing of ownership sat Eli to make the move easier in the offseason to get rid of him.  Then whiny social media giant fans went nuts and the idiotic Giants listened to them so they now may have Eli in 2019 and 2020 which ensures they will continue to suck.