Bruce Feldman: Source Kliff Kingsbury is meeting with the New York Jets now regarding their head coaching vacancy.

Jetsbb

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Warfish said:

In college.  Vs. smaller non-elite schools.  Adjusting there is far less difficult than adjusting against grown men being coached by legit pro level stud coaches.

So K.K. is the man....as long as we hire an experienced, veteran, former head coach to basicly be the HEad Coach while holding K.K.'s dick while he learns on the job?

As I said elsewhere, we don;t know.  I don't know.  I am very pessimistic on K.K.  I could easily be wrong.  I just don't see all the positives you see being so sure thing, most seem VERY risky to me and as far from sure as possible.  

I want my team team playing games that matter in December, now.  I don't see K.K. being the guy to bring us that, certainly not in the short term.  

First, Texas Tech is in the Big 12...and like Baylor, and before they left Mizzou, are the red-headed step children of the conference.  Success at these schools needs to be looked at 'in the big picture' of things.  College football, unlike the pros, are limited by recruiting not dollars.  Expecting Kingsbury to light up the Big12 while at TT is short-sighted.

Next, McVay at LA has Wade Phillips as his DC; Nagy has Fangio...both long in the tooth professional DC's.  I'd support Kingsbury here IF the NYJ as an organization actively get him a DC with NFL stature for support.  Get Kingsbury a Pepper Johnson, Del Rio, Tucker, Campo or Spagnuolo and see what happens.

Look at McVays and Nagy's resume pre-hire...they were pretty thin also (albeit at the NFL level).

I'd rather KK be hired as OC to a D man like some of the above..I could go either way.  But ain't dismissing KK off the bat here. 

5 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

First, Texas Tech is in the Big 12...and like Baylor, and before they left Mizzou, are the red-headed step children of the conference.  Success at these schools needs to be looked at 'in the big picture' of things.  College football, unlike the pros, are limited by recruiting not dollars.  Expecting Kingsbury to light up the Big12 while at TT is short-sighted.

Next, McVay at LA has Wade Phillips as his DC; Nagy has Fangio...both long in the tooth professional DC's.  I'd support Kingsbury here IF the NYJ as an organization actively get him a DC with NFL stature for support.  Get Kingsbury a Pepper Johnson, Del Rio, Tucker, Campo or Spagnuolo and see what happens.

Look at McVays and Nagy's resume pre-hire...they were pretty thin also (albeit at the NFL level).

I'd rather KK be hired as OC to a D man like some of the above..I could go either way.  But ain't dismissing KK off the bat here. 

pretty much how i feel. swhartz and gregg williams could be available as well.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Nick Saban is well liked by and coached with BB. After turning Michigan State around and winning a national title at LSU, he flamed out in Miami. Based on your evaluative criteria, he should have been great at Miami. So, why should I trust your evaluation. Why would this guy be any better than Saban?

Who’s to say that he will or won’t be better than Saban?

Again, if McCarthy has indeed said “thanks but no thanks”, then the one and only “safe” veteran coach besides Arians (who was never coming here in a million years) is off the market.

In that case, the next safest with an NFL track record that we’ve interviewed are guys like Gase and Caldwell.

Otherwise, you’re going with a college coach like Rhule/Kingsbury or a coordinator like Monken/Bieniemy.

Pick your poison

All I’m saying is that I’d feel better about Rhule than 80% of the coaches we’ve interviewed or are scheduled to interview.

41 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I hear ya. Personally I'd love Arians but that's not going to happen. If McCarthy is out I wouldn't be upset with a guy like Kingsbury or Monken.

Who would be your next choice? Gase has a good track record with QBs but he didn't have a good go in miami. Not sure if it was his fault or not. Caldwell is unispiring

That's the problem, I don't have a next choice...the rest is garbage.

19 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Who’s to say that he will or won’t be better than Saban?

Again, if McCarthy has indeed said “thanks but no thanks”, then the one and only “safe” veteran coach besides Arians (who was never coming here in a million years) is off the market.

In that case, the next safest with an NFL track record that we’ve interviewed are guys like Gase and Caldwell.

Otherwise, you’re going with a college coach like Rhule/Kingsbury or a coordinator like Monken/Bieniemy.

Pick your poison

All I’m saying is that I’d feel better about Rhule than 80% of the coaches we’ve interviewed or are scheduled to interview.

I'll say he won't be better than Saban. An NFL coordinator is far more qualified than a guy whose only NFL coaching experience is assistant to the O line coach.

30 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Nah, just 6 playoff appearances, a super bowl appearance and a career winning record.

It's like some of you started watching football 5 years ago. 

6 playoff appearances...in 22 YEARS!?!?!?!?!?!?! WAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

Gil Brandt thinks Kingsbury to Arizona is very likely to happen and even left a message for Rosen telling him Kingsbury will make him a great QB for many years. He loves Kingsbury as a HC. Does think he needs a strong DC but also thinks thats not a big deal.

So, if the Jets want Kingsbury they may have to "not let him leave building"

Brandt seemed less excited about Ruhle but still very positive. He thinks Ruhle relies on things he cant bring to the NFL, such as awarding numbers based on how good you are with best player getting #1, etc...

24 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

6 playoff appearances...in 22 YEARS!?!?!?!?!?!?! WAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

You said success. That's success. It's not sustained success but he has as many appearances in the super bowl as McCarthy. Then again, he didn't have Aaron Rodgers. Thanks for playing Billy

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

I never said perfect.  I just said the best possible candidate on the market.  Once he's officially off the market, we can move on...and moving on will lead us to a pile of garbage left over from the looks of it...

Other than previous record what about McCarthy makes him the best candidate?

I'll tell ya what. going through his process like we have on JN is certainly not helping my psyche over here. I'm drained man. I feel like it's been forever already.  I wish they would just hire McCarthy already lol 

It's funny. No one we've interviewed has even been hired anywhere yet I have the feeling of impending doom.  WTF??? 

1. McCarthy

2. Gase

3. Rhule

Let's get one of these HC's with HC experience hired already so they can lock down their staff. 

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Gil Brandt thinks Kingsbury to Arizona is very likely to happen and even left a message for Rosen telling him Kingsbury will make him a great QB for many years. He loves Kingsbury as a HC. Does think he needs a strong DC but also thinks thats not a big deal.

Brandt seemed less excited about Ruhle but still very positive. He thinks Ruhle relies on things he cant bring to the NFL, such as awarding numbers based on how good you are with best player getting #1, etc...

Have the Jets concluded meeting with Kingsbury?

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Other than previous record what about McCarthy makes him the best candidate?

You want to remove his record as a HC to have the discussion?  That's pretty funny. It's only the most important thing. 

look at his track record with Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Flynn and Rich Gannon before being the HC that revived Brett Favre and literally raised Rodgers up to be who he is today. 

People like to talk about his in game mgmt and some sketchy play calls but he does the most important thing in the game extremely well. He mentors and develops top their QB's.  That's how Mccarthy wins. 

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

You want to remove his record as a HC to have the discussion?  That's pretty funny. It's only the most important thing. 

look at his track record with Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Flynn and Rich Gannon before being the HC that revived Brett Favre and literally raised Rodgers up to be who he is today. 

People like to talk about his in game mgmt and some sketchy play calls but he does the most important thing in the game extremely well. He mentors and develops top their QB's.  That's how Mccarthy wins. 

“Matt Flynn”

That’s how he won once. With a historically great QB. 

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I'm old enough to remember when Gil Brandts opinions meant something....but I dont much care for hiring Rhule, either. 

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

His last 7 years, no playoffs, 45-63

Exactly. He was great early on with Houston/Tenn. Inches from a super bowl win. Last couple of years not so good. 

Rams paid for that success and it got them 5 years if misery. 

McCarthy was great early on. Won 1 SB. Not as good last couple of years. Packers had enough but we should be excited? 

Now you want the Jets to hire the guys the Packers couldn't wait until the season was over to fire? 

39 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

They don't officially announce the college coaches like the others. Also interviewed Rhule and never acknowledged it.

But Kingsbury quit USC to take the interview so no need for that secrecy? (At least that's what they said on Kay show)

47 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Same response every friggin time. I ask for something other than ancient history and the reply is always he won. It's madness. Whatever I need to just not get myself worked up over the stupidity of wanting this guy.

Archived