IF Foles wins another Super Bowl do they trade Wentz?

joewilly12

Probably the most fascinating situation of the off-season.  Eagles could probably get more for Wentz than Foles even if Foles wins the SB; but more importantly, with Foles they would have to use the franchise tag to trade him and that leaves some other players, including Brandon Graham and Ronald Darby exposed.  So trading Foles comes at a cost they may not want to pay unless they are assured of getting a blowout deal, which is certainly possible.  

It's almost unthinkable that a team would trade or let walk a QB that won the last two SBs.  I can't even imagine how PHI fans would feel about it.  But if they trade him, and Wentz gets hurt again, it's gonna blow up in their faces big-time.  Personally, I think I'd seriously explore trading Wentz for as much as I could get (2 1sts?) and keeping Foles in that situation.

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Probably the most fascinating situation of the off-season.  Eagles could probably get more for Wentz than Foles even if Foles wins the SB; but more importantly, with Foles they would have to use the franchise tag to trade him and that leaves some other players, including Brandon Graham and Ronald Darby exposed.  So trading Foles comes at a cost they may not want to pay unless they are assured of getting a blowout deal, which is certainly possible.  

It's almost unthinkable that a team would trade or let walk a QB that won the last two SBs.  I can't even imagine how PHI fans would feel about it.  But if they trade him, and Wentz gets hurt again, it's gonna blow up in their faces big-time.  Personally, I think I'd seriously explore trading Wentz for as much as I could get (2 1sts?) and keeping Foles in that situation.

Foles  can opt out of his contract after the season, which he obviously will.. so they could re-sign him and trade Wenrz.. don’t think they would get 2 firsts, kid can’t stay on field and halfway through his rookie deal

Contract Notes On April 20, 2018, Foles renegotiated his contract and signed a new two year contract worth up to $29 million in base salary.  The contract pays Foles a $2 million signing bonus in 2018, which represents a $2 million raise from his original contract. There are $14 million in additional incentives available. The 2019 season, which was a void year, is now an option year with a player void clause. The Eagles can opt into the contract, which carries a $20 million salary, by picking up the option a month before the start of the 2019 league year. The salary is guaranteed on the 3rd day of the league year. If the option is exercised Foles may still become a free agent by paying back the $2 million signing bonus he received in 2018 as part of this new contract to void the 2019 league year. The 2020 and 2021 league years will both automatically void prior to the start of the 2020 league year.   

If I'm reading this correctly foles can opt out of his deal

If that is accurate it's the story of the off season

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Foles  can opt out of his contract after the season, which he obviously will.. so they could re-sign him and trade Wenrz.. don’t think they would get 2 firsts, kid can’t stay on field and halfway through his rookie deal

I get what you're saying but imagine your MIA, for example.  Or WAS (assuming Smith's career is done).  You're drafting 13 or 15.  Haskins and Lock are off the board for you as you can't realistically get ahead of NYG, JAX and DEN.  You could throw the dice on Teddy B or Flacco (which MIA is rumored to be looking at).  Or you could drop two firsts on Wentz, who is expected to be fully healed well before 2019 season starts. 

Heck if I know what they might do, but it wouldn't shock me for a mid-round pick team to roll the dice on him.  Now I can't see PHI trading with WAS, so that really just leaves MIA or maybe DEN at 10 if they aren't sold on the QBs they will have a shot at without a big trade up.  

6 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Can’t trade free agents 

You can by using the Franchise Tag.  Or if they can trade him soon enough, the other team can tag him if necessary.  It's not a done deal that he is going to be a true UFA yet.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Agreed. Trent Green...I mean Carson Wentz better get ready to play for a new team. I wonder who would trade for him. Jaguars? 

That back injury is not good. Not only does that take away your mobility (Which is a big part of his game) but back injuries are usually those injuries that stay with you, never fully heal. 

His back injury would scare me more than his ACL tear. If I have a QB winning playoff games/championship(s) and I can get real value back for Wentz, then I would make the move. 

Even if the move doesnt work out, that will be hindsight. In the moment though you have to consider that Wentz is injury prone and Nick Foles is winning you post season games. 

When you take into account that Foles is just 30, that means you have atleast 5 years of prime Foles. If Wentz bounces back, good for him, but Wentz wont be the first professional athlete to lose his job like that. 

Carson Wentz career is looking more like Sam Bradford at the moment. That's not a good sign. 

. The Eagles also could franchise tag him in an effort to trade him to another team, according to Rapoport.  "It's clear he's not going to be in Philly, but really how they send him to another team or into free agency is going to be a big story this offseason," Rapoport said on "Good Morning Football Weekend" on Sunday.

Looks like Flacco and foles are available

where they go will have a huge impact on our draft

26 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Football discussion board it was discussed at halftime by the Fox crew, who are you to judge. 

Ok football discussion board. Let’s discuss bringing Bowles back as DC. He owes us money from his contract anyways right. See what I mean.

Archived