What should be done at Backup Quarterback?

Tony MaC

Let's see who steps up in the AAF. That's what the league is all about anyway, isn't it? Develop QB's

If not one of them, plenty of second tier players are FA's  that won't be pursed as starters for needy clubs. Old friends Fitz and Geno are around (Fitz didn't do so bad subbing in '18), Bridgewater, Schaub, Cassel are all experienced and available (I think). None to exciting and let's all hope that the most we see of any of them is in pre season on '19

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Pac said:

Makes the most sense and Tannehill isn't good enough to go somewhere expecting to be given the starting role.

Get him on a 1 or 2 year deal coming back from injury and keep Davis as the 3 aka the backup in training.

Will pay Tannehill 14 mil to play back up QB.

Wont pay Golden Tate 12 mil to be the best WR on the team.

lololololololololol

3 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Let's see who steps up in the AAF. That's what the league is all about anyway, isn't it? Develop QB's

If not one of them, plenty of second tier players are FA's  that won't be pursed as starters for needy clubs. Old friends Fitz and Geno are around (Fitz didn't do so bad subbing in '18), Bridgewater, Schaub, Cassel are all experienced and available (I think). None to exciting and let's all hope that the most we see of any of them is in pre season on '19

Holy God I want NOTHING to do with Fitz even as a backup the guy is cursed I think it’s been like 5 qbs in a row now he backed up all got seriously injured

Oh and Fitz also sucks

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

Sh*tspatrick would be a great choice, being that he was such a willing and cooperative mentor to the young quarterbacks last time he was in town.  Matt Schaub is not available.  He is currently in training for his serious pursuit of a starting gig as a Shuffleboard Captain, at a Retirement Village somewhere in Florida.

I don’t really understand paying for a backup. Jets aren’t winning with a backup quarterback. Let a QB coach be the QB coach, roll with a young guy who has upside to become an asset if he shows well if he has to see the field, allocate assets elsewhere. Should be Webb or a draft pick IMO (and I’d rather not spend a draft pick on a QB).

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Will pay Tannehill 14 mil to play back up QB.

Wont pay Golden Tate 12 mil to be the best WR on the team.

lololololololololol

Who said 14 mil???

Pay him like a quality backup.  I was thinking more like 5 Mil.

The same 5 Mil I'd pay Golden Tate.

Any QB coming here knows the score. Sit on the bench and don't expect to play. Guys like Tannehill will still want a chance to start - not saying guaranteed, but open competition in camp. They're not getting that here.

Osweiler would be a good option IMHO. Good enough to step in for a drive if needed, but happy to play second fiddle to Sam.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Do you really want the idea of the Jets taking a QB at #3 again to be your Signature Post?  I'm not trying to be a d**k, but just think how that would go over in the world outside the room you typed it in.

Obviously we are not moving away from Darnold and we do not need another first round QB. My thought is if we essentially did what San Diego did, and select Murray (assuming he becomes "the guy" we could sort of leverage a trade that might be better than what would be offered for the pick. Might be too risky but could also reap rewards.

5 hours ago, Pac said:

Who said 14 mil???

Pay him like a quality backup.  I was thinking more like 5 Mil.

The same 5 Mil I'd pay Golden Tate.

They paid McCown 10 million but Tannehill is going to take half that? And you would only offer the best FA WR a third of what he’ll command. Have you gone full troll?

14 hours ago, Pac said:

Tannehill will be the backup.

He'll be too expensive.  Even if he gets no offers to be a starting QB in this league, he's going to at least be able to command top dollar amongst the backup QB options. 

Pick up Osweiler on the cheap and call it a day. 

12 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Wish the idiot Todd would have given Webb some reps when Sam was hurt so we'd know a little about what we have.

We’re still doing this?  We didn’t learn from Hackenberg, and even Petty, that the coaches can determine these things without needing live games and the fans approval?  Seriously, we learned nothing?

I'm sure JAX wants to get out from under Bortles contract, I wouldn't be against taking him
off their hands after free agency.  Of course I would demand they attach their 2019 2nd
round pick with him.  It would be similar to what CLE did with HOU when they took Osweiler
off their hands

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They paid McCown 10 million but Tannehill is going to take half that? And you would only offer the best FA WR a third of what he’ll command. Have you gone full troll?

McCown was paid 10 mil because he was the starter the year before and presumed to be the starter this year.  Tannehill has been hurt much of the last 2 years and hasn't played particularly well when hes healthy.  No one is offering him 14 mil a year.

Golden Tate is an overrated JAG. If you think hes worth 15 mil a year you're namesake is dead on.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

McCown was paid 10 mil because he was the starter the year before and presumed to be the starter this year.  Tannehill has been hurt much of the last 2 years and hasn't played particularly well when hes healthy.  No one is offering him 14 mil a year.

Golden Tate is an overrated JAG. If you think hes worth 15 mil a year you're namesake is dead on.

Paclogic 

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He'll be too expensive.  Even if he gets no offers to be a starting QB in this league, he's going to at least be able to command top dollar amongst the backup QB options. 

Pick up Osweiler on the cheap and call it a day. 

Wont pay Golden Tate 12 mil to the be the best WR on the team because he's an overrated JAG.

Will pay 14 mil for a back up QB because familiarity. 

Will pay 7 mil for Eli Rodgers because well, no actual reasoning at all just because. 

#Paclogic

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

They're not offering him just $5 million either.  That's absurd.  He's not Matt Schaub or Chase Daniel. 

53 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'm sure JAX wants to get out from under Bortles contract, I wouldn't be against taking him
off their hands after free agency.  Of course I would demand they attach their 2019 2nd
round pick with him.  It would be similar to what CLE did with HOU when they took Osweiler
off their hands

brilliant.  This is how you build a team. 

It's most likely going to be Webb.  Don't forget he's an ERFA.  Meaning he gets tendered, signs or sits.  They will probably draft another 3rd stringer for the practice squad or sign someone cheap.  Trevor Siemian anyone?  Dare i say Geno?

59 minutes ago, KRL said:

off their hands

That is actually a really interesting idea.  JAX is $4MM over the cap right now so they should be pretty desperate to clear some space.

They way I think this is set up, Bortles has a $6.5MM guarantee this year with offset language.  So if they cut him and another team signs him, they get the offset value up to $6.5MM (clearly no team will pay him that much, more likely somewhere around half that).  But if a team trades for him and assumes the contract, JAX is off the hook for the full $6.5MM.  The acquiring team can then cut him if they want to (which they will to avoid paying out the full $14MM salary) and just absorb the cap hit.

Can someone confirm if I have that right?  Also, did the NFL make any rule changes to make this kind of trade-and-cut deal more difficult after CLE did it?

So the question is, what is a $6.5MM cap hit worth to the Jets, and how much does JAX feel they will get back if they just cut him and is paying the draft pick price worth the difference.  For a 2nd rounder, I think the Jets would jump at this.  Not sure if JAX would pay that much, but HOU paid a 2018 2nd and 2017 7th with a 2017 4th coming back in the deal.  I'm with KRL though.  I'd want it all in 2019 picks, and I would want that 2nd rounder, but I think sending back our 3rd from NO and maybe getting a lower round pick back would be okay.

Definitely intriguing.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

off their hands

except CLE had a much better roster than we do.....we just might need the $

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

That is actually a really interesting idea.  JAX is $4MM over the cap right now so they should be pretty desperate to clear some space.

They way I think this is set up, Bortles has a $6.5MM guarantee this year with offset language.  So if they cut him and another team signs him, they get the offset value up to $6.5MM (clearly no team will pay him that much, more likely somewhere around half that).  But if a team trades for him and assumes the contract, JAX is off the hook for the full $6.5MM.  The acquiring team can then cut him if they want to (which they will to avoid paying out the full $14MM salary) and just absorb the cap hit.

Can someone confirm if I have that right?  Also, did the NFL make any rule changes to make this kind of trade-and-cut deal more difficult after CLE did it?

So the question is, what is a $6.5MM cap hit worth to the Jets, and how much does JAX feel they will get back if they just cut him and is paying the draft pick price worth the difference.  For a 2nd rounder, I think the Jets would jump at this.  Not sure if JAX would pay that much, but HOU paid a 2018 2nd and 2017 7th with a 2017 4th coming back in the deal.  I'm with KRL though.  I'd want it all in 2019 picks, and I would want that 2nd rounder, but I think sending back our 3rd from NO and maybe getting a lower round pick back would be okay. 

Definitely intriguing. 

If we trade for Bortles, then cut him after June 1, per overthecap.com, the Dead Money hit would be $11.5M (spread out over 2 seasons), with $9.3M cap money saved from what would otherwise be a $20.8M cap hit if we kept him. 

Cut him in 2020, and we would only suffer a $5M Dead Cap hit (we'd take the full dead cap hit that year) and save $18M off his scheduled $23M. 

I'm more than happy with the exact same QB room as last year on the hopes that Webb emerges as the #2 to either serve as a backup or become a trade chip. McCown brings so much to the table for Darnold who, while I love, is still just a kid. 

We don't  need to bring in an elite backup QB. We just need someone capable that will also help Darnold's development. 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Definitely intriguing.

Someone has hopefully figured out what a good draft pick is worth.

For example, if you drafted a good player in the second round who cost $1mm/year for 4 years, but that same player in FA would cost $8mm/year over 4 years, that second round pick is worth $7mm/year. 

Put into context, Winters and Long were both 3rd round picks who proved to be functional after their 4 year rookie contracts and were signed for approximately $6.5mm/year post-rookie contracts.

The Jets' problem, as we know, is that Mac can't draft players after the 1st round who can actually play. But if he did, it would be very powerful from a cap perspective.   This is one reason that the Patriots are so good. 

A 2nd round pick to pick up Bortles' contract, and get a backup QB who went to the AFCCG to boot would seem like an excellent idea.  

Archived