What the Jets SHOULD do, rather than what they WILL do (according to one mock)

jetstream23

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets have the next 2-3 seasons all-in on Darnold. The consequences of blowing it with him are catastrophic. The consequences of not having Omgnext McAarondonald are not catastrophic.  

If you have to overdraft on offense, you ******* do it. The only reason we’re talking about drafting DL at 3 is because of how crappy this draft class is. That’s not good enough to risk Darnold.

12 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Jets have the next 2-3 seasons all-in on Darnold. The consequences of blowing it with him are catastrophic. The consequences of not having Omgnext McAarondonald are not catastrophic.  

If you have to overdraft on offense, you ******* do it. The only reason we’re talking about drafting DL at 3 is because of how crappy this draft class is. That’s not good enough to risk Darnold.

I'm telling ya. This is some good stuff right here. 

21 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Everybody knew Orlando Pace was that guy in a class that included Walter Jones. There's no consensus about Taylor, whose competition is Williams and Dillard. What does that tell you about taking any of them at 3?

LOTS....but that doesn't matter to some.  DRAFT AN OL AT FIRST NO MATTER WHAT!

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Kudos for updating the Jets logo. lol

Full article and mock at the link below, with a sneak peak at what he thinks the Jets should do...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026047/article/2019-nfl-mock-draft-with-a-twist-what-teams-should-do

2055022296_ScreenShot2019-04-13at1_28_30PM.png.a3d92925644612b8d3ed394cd8ed2f31.png

I agree with this. I agree with it good and hard. I might choose Jonah over Taylor but OL is the goods. 

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

LOTS....but that doesn't matter to some.  DRAFT AN OL AT FIRST NO MATTER WHAT!

OL is the way to go. I wouldn't worry though. If we can't trade back we will end up taking Allen. Macc can't override that much value.  

40 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Good post.. Mac made one little upgrade on the OL, but didn’t ever try to go after a center or upgrade further. Which I wonder if stubborn Mac is being just his usual self, that is ignoring the OL like he has done ever other yr. hopefully we can trade back, take Williams and a center before we ever get to the 3rd round.. Hopefully someone tells Mac, he could be looking for a new assistant job next feb if he doesn’t begin to take the OL seriously 

11 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

You don't invest in Darnold and Bell and then ignore the OL. If the Jets can't trade out of the pick I have no problem taking an OL at 3. I might rethink it if Bosa is there but otherwise protect Darnold should be the main thing.

All good gms would agree with you. However we have Mac, and he does not value the OL 

None of these OL are good enough to be a top 3 pick.

I get that we need to improve the line, but some people are going overboard now. There's no Joe Thomas type LT who's a projected top 3 pick or something like that. 

Like it or not, the value at our spot is DL or OLB. 

If we trade back? Fine, get Jonah or Taylor. But Allen, Bosa, or Q. Williams is the pick if we stay at 3. 

28 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

You don't invest in Darnold and Bell and then ignore the OL. If the Jets can't trade out of the pick I have no problem taking an OL at 3. I might rethink it if Bosa is there but otherwise protect Darnold should be the main thing.

now why you makin me agree with you and $hit?    :-) 

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

None of these OL are good enough to be a top 3 pick.

I get that we need to improve the line, but some people are going overboard now. There's no Joe Thomas type LT who's a projected top 3 pick or something like that. 

Like it or not, the value at our spot is DL or OLB. 

If we trade back? Fine, get Jonah or Taylor. But Allen, Bosa, or Q. Williams is the pick if we stay at 3. 

A B+ blindside tackler is more valuable to the Jets than an A+ defensive tackle. It’s bad luck the Jets are drafting at 3 in a really terrible draft. That’s not valid enough to set aside Darnold as the priority. 

All that matters is Darnold. If he crashes, the Jets crash. If the Jets don’t have an All-Pro DT, they don’t crash. 

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

A B+ blindside tackler is more valuable to the Jets than an A+ defensive tackle. It’s bad luck the Jets are drafting at 3 in a really terrible draft. That’s not valid enough to set aside Darnold as the priority. 

All that matters is Darnold. If he crashes, the Jets crash. If the Jets don’t have an All-Pro DT, they don’t crash. 

Except they're not projected to be close to even a B+ blindside tackler at our spot.

It sucks, believe me. I wish this draft was deeper and had better o-line prospects, but that's not the case. 

best case scenario is the jets trading down to 6 or 7 to pick up a 2nd rounder, taking ed oliver or brian burns + jenkins or mccoy. fills the 2 biggest holes on the roster with day one starters at edge and C. if they traded back further into the 10-15 range I’d use the first pick on OL and trade a 2nd round pick for frank clark

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Erick Flowers

8 minutes ago, cant wait said:

best case scenario is the jets trading down to 6 or 7 to pick up a 2nd rounder, taking ed oliver or brian burns + jenkins or mccoy. fills the 2 biggest holes on the roster with day one starters at edge and C. if they traded back further into the 10-15 range I’d use the first pick on OL and trade a 2nd round pick for frank clark

There is no way I can possibly get behind trading out of the pick if Oliver falls to 3. At the same time I suppose hubris is kind of the only thing that has really ever worked for the Jets.

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

There is no way I can possibly get behind trading out of the pick if Oliver falls to 3. At the same time I suppose hubris is kind of the only thing that has really ever worked for the Jets.

I’d be totally on board with oliver at 3 but I don’t think MM has the stones to buck the consensus and take him there. knock on wood 

That gets you fired, Taylor would have to start day one,  and be at least be very good to justify #3

If any of Allen, Williams, turn out to be good and you drafted a journeyman at olineman at #3 your fired, and may not even last the season out. Besides Macc is a BAP GM.

I like Taylor but not at #3 he’s in play only if we trade out, otherwise my money is on Josh Allen.

If we do that- which I’m not against- we should take Jonah. Who led the nation with fewest pressures allowed- in the sec. The arm concern is laughable- evidenced by experts that say he can’t play LT but would be an all pro guard or center. If you’re that good- half an inch wint matter, he’ll joe Thomas has same arm length.

Why we shouldn't draft an offensive lineman with the 1st pick. Let me put it this way. The talent level of the o-lineman with a 1st rd grade and a 3rd rd grade, isn't nearly as dramatic as that with edge rushers. Your more likely to find an o-lineman who winds up being as good as the 1st rd lineman, than you are with pass rushers in this draft. There's a bigger drop off in talent level. That's why to me, drafting any o-lineman with our 1st pick, would be a big fail.

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Kudos for updating the Jets logo. lol

Full article and mock at the link below, with a sneak peak at what he thinks the Jets should do...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026047/article/2019-nfl-mock-draft-with-a-twist-what-teams-should-do

2055022296_ScreenShot2019-04-13at1_28_30PM.png.a3d92925644612b8d3ed394cd8ed2f31.png

I don't necessarily agree with Taylor at #3? Seems like a waste for a player that should be available in the mid to late 1at round? 2nd round?

But I agree with the idea of going OL over Edge rusher. I want Sam to be developed properly. That starts by providing as many weapons as possible for Sam, like Rex did for Sanchez. Unfortunately, Sanchez sucked and was never going to be a decent QB. However, the approach was spot on and that's what Mac should do. I don't want Sam running for his life on every play. I want him to make positive plays so he can build his confidence off of that. That's imo the ONLY way to build a youngster into a franchise QB.

Besides, this draft is said to be very deep in pass rushers. Why not trade down, accumulate more picks and your damage from the mid 1st round back?

Archived