Jets get an Edge, Draft Jachai Polite with 68th pick

6 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

The opposing offensive lines are really going to learn to exploit his inability to interview well and this guy is going to suck.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

You forgot the mention he showed up overweight and out of shape. Also in case you dont understand how NFL football works you also prepare mentally by following game plans breaking down film by him not preparing mentally for a simple interview shows he might not be mentally able to handle mental aspects of the game meaning he will not be able to be the superstar you think he is. This isnt college football with simple offensive blocking schemes. Like I just said in a post Jaylon Fergusan would be a way better safer option.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

You forgot the mention he showed up overweight and out of shape. Also in case you dont understand how NFL football works you also prepare mentally by following game plans breaking down film by him not preparing mentally for a simple interview shows he might not be mentally able to handle mental aspects of the game meaning he will not be able to be the superstar you think he is. This isnt college football with simple offensive blocking schemes. Like I just said in a post Jaylon Fergusan would be a way better safer option.

17 other teams passed on him in the third round after the Jets picked. I get it but Polite if he has act together with Williams at dc he is going to have to get it together is the better prospect

1 hour ago, nyjets1969 said:

Polite showed up at the combine overweight and out of shape also he didn't interview well hope he works out but this guy has warning bells all over him. I would rather see them take a OL or tried to trade back in and grab Metcalf and give Darnold a real threat and a potential #1 WR instead they take a guy that was to lazy to prepare for the combine. Wonder what all the Mac fans will say if this guy shows up to training camp in this state. Best thing will happen to the off season when Mac is finally gone.

Mentioning that this guy has warning bells all over him, then in the very next sentence saying you'd have wanted to see them draft Metcalf is so ironic.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aagarcia said:

Just watch this you morons:

Notice the stat line in the lower right corner early on in the video.   CSU Rams WR Preston Williams.  I posted about him in the draft forum.  I was at that game in person.  The best player on the field that day was not Polite.  It was Preston Williams.

A lot of the time the tape can be deceiving, especially with small school guys going up against weaker and slower competition, and normally the combine drills weed that out (see: Jaylon Ferguson). With Polite it just doesn’t make sense though. The guy played in the SEC and often looked like the most athletic player on the field. There’s no way you can watch that tape and come away thinking: “that guy’s going to run a 5+ second 40”.

So to me there’s one of two explanations: 1. He’s extremely lazy / a headcase that completely blew the most important job interview process he’ll ever have or 2. He tried to bulk up for the combine too quickly and wound up getting himself hurt in the process.

I’m not going to pretend to know the answer. Given Mac’s track record it’s probably scenario 1. It’s definitely a huge risk. The guy could very easily be out of the league in a couple of years. But I think there’s way more upside than his workout numbers would indicate, which isn’t normally the case. In the third round I’m ok with taking a big swing on a premium position, and I actually think it’s a very un-Mac like pick (a 21 year old big-risk, big-reward gamble in the middle rounds at a premium position instead of a 24 year old small school super-senior defensive tackle)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Put on weight on purpose to bulk up and then tweaked his hamstring 10 days before combine and still bothered him some at his proday.

Hes faster, quicker, and more explosive than he tested. 

His misfortune is our fortune.

Kids a beast.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

This guy might be the most polarizing prospect in the draft.  

On tape: Easy first talent.  I thought him and Brian Burns flashed similarly with very good speed.  His burst off the line is ridiculously good, albeit a lean frame.  His main attribute is going after the QB with speed or spin move.  I've read he has good hand movements, but I'm not good at picking that up on film so I don't know.  To me, he reminded me a ton of Vic Beasley a few years ago.  Guy has great burst off the line, great at rushing the passer, but slight frame.  

Off field:  This guy bombed the pre-draft process in spectacular fashion, cost himself millions.  I don't know the long term maturity of a guy like this, and how he will handle money and fame.   

• Upvote 2

seems like a good risk/reward - happy the Jets did not trade up for him considering how high Mac had him ranked (if any of these statements can be believed)

was he BPA? - since this was not a need if Bosa fell to the Jets or they selected Allen

seems like Day 2 was drafting for need but I am happy they finally drafted OL and Edge, both seem like good value where drafted

2 picks left and the Jets need a starting C, CB2, and another WR or TE? will be important to stay healthy but Jets should be competitive this year

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, RobR said:

How do you explain his pro day then?

If there is one position in the NFL where these numbers are super important it is a pass rushing edge. He was horrible not only at the combine but also his pro day. How often do you see a player bomb their pro day?

199B1501-B676-4D81-88C6-045FA57E78CA.png.1d83cc4419bdd3c7edb8a79c08dcaf73.png

Those Hammy’s can be painful

5 hours ago, win4ever said:

On tape: Easy first talent.  I thought him and Brian Burns flashed similarly with very good speed.  His burst off the line is ridiculously good, albeit a lean frame.  His main attribute is going after the QB with speed or spin move.  I've read he has good hand movements, but I'm not good at picking that up on film so I don't know.  To me, he reminded me a ton of Vic Beasley a few years ago.  Guy has great burst off the line, great at rushing the passer, but slight frame.  

Off field:  This guy bombed the pre-draft process in spectacular fashion, cost himself millions.  I don't know the long term maturity of a guy like this, and how he will handle money and fame.   

He actually sounds like he understands where he went wrong in the draft process.  I’ve read in several places that his tape is 1st round material.  I love this pick.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

It gets worse: there was a guy who destroyed the Combine right there for the taking, and—surprise!—we went with the three-legged puppy that people have heard of instead.

destroyed the combine, lol

I'll take a guy with good tape in the SEC who bombed the combine over a guy who was average on tape and crushed the combine 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. 

Looking forward to seeing Polite play - hopefully we found a nice pass rusher here. He looks natural rushing the passer with a nice toolbox of moves and counter moves.

8 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I don't hate this pick. He's a first round talent with some red flags. A risk for sure, but the third round is where you take these kinds of risks. And if he works out you've stolen a good player who fills a glaring need.

It’s a necessary risk

• Upvote 1

This is an Adam Gase pick all the way, you guys. Gase said all along that he wanted, no, that his teams must have an edge rusher like Cameron Wake and I watched film on him last night, wow! This is the guy who will be brought in on 3rd and long and blow by the LT or RT to sack the QB and if he doesn't get the QB then Henry Anderson or maybe one of the Williams' will. This is going to be a very very very different looking Jets team one that may finally unseat New England at the top of the East.

7 hours ago, win4ever said:

Costing himself millions is a good thing for us.  His main focus is likely on getting a big second contract, so we should get his most motivated 4 seasons.

This is an excellent risk-reward in the 3rd round.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SoFlaJets said:

This is an Adam Gase pick all the way, you guys. Gase said all along that he wanted, no, that his teams must have an edge rusher like Cameron Wake and I watched film on him last night, wow! This is the guy who will be brought in on 3rd and long and blow by the LT or RT to sack the QB and if he doesn't get the QB then Henry Anderson or maybe one of the Williams' will. This is going to be a very very very different looking Jets team one that may finally unseat New England at the top of the East.

The defense will be very aggressive, and should finally be able to also stop the run again with Q.  

11 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You'd be whining if we took a player that had a bad year but had a great combine. It's just in some people's nature to whine. No worries. 

Or, and stay with me on this, what if you drafted guys that played well ????AND???? were pretty good athletes? Like, there are A LOT of players in the draft who HAVE BOTH JOJOTOWNSELL1!!!! They exist! 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

It’s a necessary risk

Agree. As much as we all didn't want yet another first round DT, Quinnen Williams was too good to pass on. We still badly needed a pass rusher, and Polite is the type of high ceiling/low floor prospect that you gamble on in the middle rounds.

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The defense will be very aggressive, and should finally be able to also stop the run again with Q.  

Also, a fierce pass rush automatically makes your defensive backfield a whole lot better as well as more productive numbers-wise. The pass rush with Henry Anderson QWilliams, and Polite will force bad decisions and up the interception numbers

7 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

seems like a good risk/reward - happy the Jets did not trade up for him considering how high Mac had him ranked (if any of these statements can be believed)

was he BPA? - since this was not a need if Bosa fell to the Jets or they selected Allen

seems like Day 2 was drafting for need but I am happy they finally drafted OL and Edge, both seem like good value where drafted

2 picks left and the Jets need a starting C, CB2, and another WR or TE? will be important to stay healthy but Jets should be competitive this year

Yes. Always take players with a high ceiling and take as many as you can...within reason.

You can only give playing time and attention to so many players. Looking at Idzick here. 

Smart money focuses on late 1st to early 3rd round. 

The chance of finding 2 starters in the 4th and 6th rounds is minuscule. I would try to trade for 2020 picks myself. 

Looks like we will sign some FAs once they no longer count in the comp pick process. Mac seems to be learning by hook or by crook. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, thebuzzardman said:

Jet fans: Jets always pick workout warriors like Hill or Gholston who test well at the combine but can't play football. They suck. 

Jet fans: Jets pick guy who looks great on tape, appears to be a football player, tested poorly at combine. They suck. 

So are your saying you dont like @T0mShane scouting takes that begin and end with mockdraftables? Lol

• Haha 1