Colin Cowherd’s Opinion About Jets’ Draft

STLuLu

This sounds disturbing. I don’t watch college sports so I have no opinion on Cowherd’s take. So I’m asking all you out there in Jets nation who keep up with college football to give your opinions on his take: 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

This sounds disturbing. I don’t watch college sports so I have no opinion on Cowherd’s take. So I’m asking all you out there in Jets nation who keep up with college football to give your opinions on his take: 

I can see where Cowturd is coming from. I think what really hurt us was not having the #2 pick in the 2nd round.

14 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

We should give back Sam and get that second rounder.

Would have been a great idea, draft oline that entire draft, defense this one, then wait till flowing locks or Tua in the 2020 draft.  

That would have been the smart, logical  thing to do.

But one can say logic rarely comes into the discussion when it involves a game of passion and intangibles.

The NFL needs a woman GM.  Me.

27 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Would have been a great idea, draft oline that entire draft, defense this one, then wait till flowing locks or Tua in the 2020 draft.  

That would have been the smart, logical  thing to do.

But one can say logic rarely comes into the discussion when it involves a game of passion and intangibles.

The NFL needs a woman GM.  Me.

I’m not gonna lie and say I wouldn’t flip Sam for 2 firsts and 2 seconds after the season in preparation of Trevor Lawrence but that’s not gonna help us this year.

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I’m not gonna lie and say I wouldn’t flip Sam for 2 firsts and 2 seconds after the season in preparation of Trevor Lawrence but that’s not gonna help is this year.

Yeah, and our beloved Sam could have stayed on the West Coast.  Chargers??

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I’m not gonna lie and say I wouldn’t flip Sam for 2 firsts and 2 seconds after the season in preparation of Trevor Lawrence but that’s not gonna help is this year.

WTF???? Seriously? Darnold didnt show you enough?

Through this draft we realized that Mac is not up to the job of a 2019 GM.

We all acknowledged that for what a top 5-10 pick gets paid, Mac needed to pick the best player.   Most of us acknowledge that Quinnen was that player.  

But after that, if the goal was to help the offense and protect and develop Darnold, Mac really should have picked offense on every pick.  WR, OL TE.  

Take a chance on an EDGE when you can get a OL who can start this year or next?  Could we use an EDGE?  Yes.  But the team already invested in Henry, Shepherd, Foley, McClendon, Leo, Mosley and Williamson, plus Copeland, Luvu, Jenkins.  Make Gregg Williams figure it out while ensuring that there is actually an OL this year and next.  If Josh Allen looks better than Quinnen, this looks like a massive miscue.  

Blocking TE over a starting Guard?

undersized LB instead of All Sec Center?  

CB with 2 knee surgeries rather than steal WR?  

Mac is never going to get it.  He needs to go.  

17 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

WTF???? Seriously? Darnold didnt show you enough?

1) No he didn’t. I like him but he didn’t.

2) Its not about Darnold, it’s about getting a stud QB prospect on a rookie contract. 3 years after that we can start to look to trade Lawrence for 4 firsts and 3 second rounders.

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

i don't fully disagree but Polite was a monster in college...to call him inconsistent in college is false. If anything he has 1st round tape.

I'll even give you that, but then the rest of the picks need to be offense.  

But basically Quinnen + Polite > keep Leo long term + Josh Allen.   We will know soon enough whether that was the right call, but the path chosen used 2 draft picks.  

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

I’m not gonna lie and say I wouldn’t flip Sam for 2 firsts and 2 seconds after the season in preparation of Trevor Lawrence but that’s not gonna help us this year.

Once again proving why fans who think they can play GM, cant.

14 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Just want to remind y’all of a little ray of hope, again....Anthony Munoz had three knee surgeries while at USC, played one game his senior year...ended up in the Pro Football HOF after an injury free NFL career!

Exactly.

He was famously passed on by the Jets out of fear he wouldnt be on the field enough due to the surgeries. 

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

I'll even give you that, but then the rest of the picks need to be offense.  

But basically Quinnen + Polite > keep Leo long term + Josh Allen.   We will know soon enough whether that was the right call, but the path chosen used 2 draft picks.  

If he was staying with the 3rd pick he should have taken Allen and Polite. Its not like we have any edge rushers anyway. We could have used both instad of another DT. Macc already spent a 3rd on Sheppherd. We have Leo and McClendon. Just overkill.

22 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Just want to remind y’all of a little ray of hope, again....Anthony Munoz had three knee surgeries while at USC, played one game his senior year...ended up in the Pro Football HOF after an injury free NFL career!

but for every Anthony Munoz stories there's about 20 other where they're never heard from again.

Just now, Wonderboy said:

If he was staying with the 3rd pick he should have taken Allen and Polite. Its not like we have any edge rushers anyway. We could have used both instad of another DT. Macc already spent a 3rd on Sheppherd. We have Leo and McClendon. Just overkill.

You forget Henry Anderson who we just resigned to a big contract. I am a big Henry Anderson fan after he was the clear leader of the DL. 

26 minutes ago, peebag said:

but for every Anthony Munoz stories there's about 20 other where they're never heard from again.

That is why I qualified it as a “small ray of hope”.  I’m a half full kinda gal....before ranting and going off the deep end till I have absolute proof  that a player fails.

We Latins have a lower percentage of ulcers...,is it the hot hot sauce we love, or just that we only care about God, family and partying?!? ?

I haven't watched the video yet, but I think we all know Cowherd is not an analyst in any way, shape or form. He's a showman who throws darts and hopes for a hit now and then. He's pretty funny, though. I love it when Joe Klatt goes on his show and points out all the times he was wrong.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Through this draft we realized that Mac is not up to the job of a 2019 GM.

We all acknowledged that for what a top 5-10 pick gets paid, Mac needed to pick the best player.   Most of us acknowledge that Quinnen was that player.  

But after that, if the goal was to help the offense and protect and develop Darnold, Mac really should have picked offense on every pick.  WR, OL TE.  

Take a chance on an EDGE when you can get a OL who can start this year or next?  Could we use an EDGE?  Yes.  But the team already invested in Henry, Shepherd, Foley, McClendon, Leo, Mosley and Williamson, plus Copeland, Luvu, Jenkins.  Make Gregg Williams figure it out while ensuring that there is actually an OL this year and next.  If Josh Allen looks better than Quinnen, this looks like a massive miscue.  

Blocking TE over a starting Guard?

undersized LB instead of All Sec Center?  

CB with 2 knee surgeries rather than steal WR?  

Mac is never going to get it.  He needs to go.  

Why are you lumping our defensive tackles in with a discussion around edge players? Before the draft, the OLB depth chart was Jenkins, Luvu, Copeland, Basham. It was absolutely a need there because the position was a black hole.

Last day of the draft had some questions. The LB pick made no sense. We already have a bevy of 6th round CBs who haven't amounted to sh*t. I'm warming to the Fusco pick, but probably could have done better there as well. They took some major swings, I'll give them that. 

But I think it comes down to this. 1. This was an especially weird draft with not a lot of strong offensive talent. 

2. This regime doesn't seem to value interior line talent highly for better or for worse. Hence why the UDFA class seems to be rich in guard prospects. And why we keep hanging onto dudes like Ben Braden. Mac wants to try and develop someone to take Winters' spot. 

Not saying it's right, just that people shouldn't be surprised at this point. 

Archived