Bell's Workouts

KRL

Cimini actually did some good work here:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/80081/inside-leveon-bells-offseason-joint-alignment-biomechanics-and-sweat

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Le'Veon Bell has a unique running style. If he doesn't see immediate daylight, he waits ... waits ... and ... vroom. You can't argue with the results: He has more than 5,300 rushing yards in five seasons.

You might say he has taken the same approach to his first offseason with the New York Jets, training in South Florida in March ... April ... May ... and ... here he comes.

After skipping the voluntary workout phase, during which time he ignored the pleas of past and present teammate Steve McLendon and subjected himself to criticism from a new fan base, Bell is expected to report Tuesday to the Jets' mandatory minicamp. Because of his season-long contract dispute with the Pittsburgh Steelers, this will be his first football practice in 17 months, raising the curiosity level to an unprecedented high for a June workout.

"Of course he will be in great shape," Pete Bommarito said Friday in a phone interview.

"I know once we hit training camp, he'll be ready to go."Jets coach Adam Gase on running back Le'Veon Bell

Bommarito, the president of Bommarito Performance Systems, is Bell's personal trainer, which means he has spent more time with the star running back than Jets coach Adam Gase. Bommarito is the mastermind behind Bell's offseason program -- a comprehensive, scientific regimen that includes everything from 40-yard sprints to Pilates to banded TKEs (terminal knee extensions) for quadriceps development. Bell also has access to a nutritionist, a massage therapist and an acupuncturist; if he wants to grab a meal, there's an in-house chef ready to prepare his order.

Think: Pumping iron at the Ritz.

Bell has been training with Bommarito in North Miami, Florida, since he came out of Michigan State in 2013, and the running back didn't want to disrupt his routine after signing a four-year, $52 million contract with the Jets. Bell has caught some flak for skipping practice with his new teammates, but it's not like he is wasting time by taking leisurely jogs along Ocean Drive in South Beach.

He spends up to five hours a day, sometimes five days a week, at Bommarito's facility. Each day begins with an appointment in the medical room, where his joint alignment is checked out. Based on the results, Bommarito can adjust his daily script for Bell, who currently is in the high-specificity phase of his training cycle -- drills that include a lot of running back-style motion.

Bell always shows up wearing his game face, according to Bommarito.

"He's highly intelligent and he definitely knows what we're doing," said Bommarito, who has trained running backs such as Fred Taylor, Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte and Frank Gore. "He knows my philosophy, and he has bought into the approach that we sold him. That's what makes him great. He's got the talent, but he's so serious about how he takes care of his body. That's what makes him elite.

"It isn't about work ethic; anyone can work themselves into the ground. It's about the focus on the little things during the high-intensity training, understanding that everything counts. Le'Veon is so focused that a bomb could go off and he wouldn't even notice."

Gase claimed he doesn't mind that Bell has been away from the team, saying he figured that would be the case based on his recent history. In his next breath, Gase acknowledged it's easier to disseminate information to players and correct their mistakes when they're at practice and in the classroom. Bell watches practice video on his computer tablet, which is fine, but he can't interact with his coaches and teammates.

"I know he feels comfortable with [Bommarito], which I'm good with because I know once we hit training camp, he'll be ready to go," Gase said.

McLendon, a defensive tackle who played with Bell from 2013 to 2015, called him recently to say he was needed at practice. In particular, McLendon stressed the importance of building chemistry with second-year quarterback Sam Darnold, whose development is paramount to the organization.

"I told him, 'You understand, this place is different than Pittsburgh. You need to get back here and understand your quarterback and the situation,'" McLendon said.

McLendon's appeal didn't work. He said he respected Bell's decision, knowing the kind of impact Bell can make once he does arrive.

"I know what I've seen in the past from him," McLendon said. "I understand he sat out a year, but for a running back, that's good, especially with all the hits they take. I can say this: He's still going to be fast; he's still going to be shifty. I'm excited for him to come back."

Former Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley said Bell "always came to camp in phenomenal shape, 218 or 219 pounds." Haley doesn't expect that to change now. If anything, he suspects Bell will be more motivated than ever.

"He's a highly competitive guy and an extremely hard worker," Haley said. "Besides AB [Antonio Brown], nobody came in and looked in better condition, and he did most of it on his own because I don't know if he was ever there for much of the offseason except his rookie year. He'll have a chip on his shoulder, and he's very talented. It'll be interesting in New York. It'll be fun to watch."

If you watch Bell's Instagram stories, you can see some of his on-field workouts. A couple of weeks ago, he did speed training with 30-, 40-, 50- and 60-yard sprints. A lot of players say they never run 40s once they get into the NFL; Bommarito believes running backs need an extra gear once they get to the second level. Last week, Bell focused on resistance running (a band attached to his waist) and a jump-cut drill that simulated a typical running play.

"It's not like we have to teach him how to cut -- he's already got that pattern down -- but it's a great training mechanism for the muscles across the ankle joint, the joint to the feet and the joint to the knee," said Bommarito, who has a master's degree in exercise science with a specialization in sports biomechanics. "You have to get those stabilizing muscles strong if you're going to withstand and sustain a whole season.

"That type of threshold training works very well with NFL running backs, especially taller running backs like Le'Veon. They respond well to that because, even though he's tall [6-foot-1], he plays low. The feet angles and the ankle angles are at such a great angle that you have to make sure those muscles surrounding those joints are strong."

Bell will break his routine to take a trip up to New Jersey for three days of minicamp practice. Finally, football.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well as far as running style goes he is the smartest most patient RB I've seen in a long time.  Also as an olineman for him you better learn to finish your blocks and play to the whistle.

yea...I think that's going to be a problem

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

December 18th 2018- Rams sign fat CJ Anderson from a Five Guys Burgers.

December 23, 2018- Fat CJ Anderson runs for 167 yards and  TD

Anyone still want to argue that being in Camp in May is necessary for a RB? 

Doesn't Marshawn Lynch just unretire ever year around October?

• Upvote 3

I've decided to worry about Bell only AFTER he shows us he isn't playing to his history-level.

If, come Pre-Season, he looks like crap.....Fine, then I'll be mad.

Till then, whats the point in worry?  He's a great player historically.  Until he shows he isn't that, I have no reason or cause to doubt him.

This isn't a holdout, after all.  It's just an alternate workout regime in "voluntary" time.

He misses something mandatory, then we have cause to be mad.  Not now.

• Upvote 4

Good stuff@KRL

I get the desire to have him
At the OTA’s and I’m
Sure everyone would rather be be there but this is a very detailed abd specific system he has been working within. It’s actually more important that he gets his body nearest to optimal shape as he can. Really good article and I look forward to seeing bell at camp tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Bell being away and working out on his own is a non-issue to me.  It's consistent with the offseason program he's followed for years and that has made him one of the most elite RBs in the past decade.  He's working hard, he's communicating with the team, and he'll likely run circles around some of the guys once he shows up.

The key will be the chemistry with not only Darnold but also the OLine.  Bell has a unique running style, he hesitates (in a good way) and sets up his blocks based on what's happening in front of him.  It's almost like he's playing chess back there, waiting for the LBs to fit their gaps or make a first move before he decides where he's going to go.  Because of this I think the hard part of the transition will be adapting to our OLine.  He may end up spending a lot of time with Gase and Frank Pollack those first couple weeks.

Missing practice in June means nothing. Darnold held out with the Jets for the first 3 practices over the dumbest offset language. No one even remembers this because its pointless. The NY media rips Bell for missing voluntary camp ? 

First, a refresher on what offset language is. In the final year of a contract, a team will include it as a form of protection. Darnold's fourth-year salary is expected to be $4.604 million. But say the Jets got $2 million of offset language in the deal. If they cut Darnold after Year 3 of the contract -- which seems unlikely -- and he signs elsewhere for $2 million, that money would come off what the Jets owe Darnold and also wouldn't count against the Jets' salary cap.

Here's the thing, though: If Darnold is so bad that the Jets cut him after his contract's third year -- again, a release at that point seems unlikely -- he probably is going to get just the minimum salary for 2021 anyway, with his new team.

And even if the Jets are able to recoup $2 million, you're talking about $2 million in a $30 million deal. More likely, you're talking about $750,000 (Darnold's potential 2021 minimum salary) in a $30 million deal. Doesn't that seem like a rather small point to battle over?

Maccagnan on Monday explained why he considers offset language worth fighting for -- and his rationale mainly involves contracts that will come after Darnold's deal.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

As I mentioned probably 100 times, what Bell is doing on his own compared to what the Jets are doing in practice is night and day.  The Jets are playing organized hopscotch with some light grabass, Bell is grinding like he's Rocky preparing for Drago. 

I understand the chemistry piece but there is plenty of time for that before the season starts.  I dont think missing a handful of practices in May is going to do any lasting damage to team chemistry.  Darnold and Bell will become besties with the quickness once the mandatory stuff starts happening.  And the other factor everyone keeps skipping over, is Bell has been in the building.  He's met the team, the coaches, has the playbook and done some workouts.  It's not like he's been MIA.  

this is a good thing.  i don't know that i'd characterize gases practices like hopscotch.  he's apparently addressing the mental part of the game without forcing too much physical stress.  there's time enough to get these guys physically prepared.

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Bell being away and working out on his own is a non-issue to me.  It's consistent with the offseason program he's followed for years and that has made him one of the most elite RBs in the past decade.  He's working hard, he's communicating with the team, and he'll likely run circles around some of the guys once he shows up.

The key will be the chemistry with no only Darnold but also the OLine.  Bell has a unique running style, he hesitates (in a good way) and sets up his blocks based on what's happening in front of him.  It's almost like he's playing chess back there, waiting for the LBs to fit their gaps or make a first move before he decides where he's going to go.  Because of this I think the hard part of the transition will be adapting to our OLine.  He may end up spending a lot of time with Gase and Frank Pollack those first couple weeks.

I am excited to see how this pans out. Sometimes the best pass protection is having your big guys run some mother ****ers over a bunch of times before you get them moving backwards in pass protection. Swinging out KO and Winters and getting them running will be fun to watch.  

The Jets had 3 games last year where the running back had 100 yards or more. Crowell and Bell aren't even close to being comparable and the play calling was below average. Either way the run blocking was not very good. 

@JiF

Its funny my niece is a top High School Athlete in the country, she is a runner.  The coaches mandate her to take like 3 weeks off from team practices between seasons.  Those 3 week breaks are her favorite part, and most important part of her training she says, according to her she can push herself to train as hard as she wants not the normal HS practices.  She does a ton of extra training during the season after and before practices in season too, but nothing compares to her training regimen in season then those 3 week breaks, and she says she gets herself in so much better shape, and shaves time off her runs season to season.

Bell just has that IT factor when it comes to training and taking pride in his fitness to be the best it may seem.  That would be awesome because that ish is infectious especially when it comes from a high profile high paid guy like Bell.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Whenever I hear this word now, I go from thinking this:

kate-beckinsale-s2000x3000-454345.jpg

to this....

sub-buzz-28039-1553772045-1.png?downsize

...and get very depressed....

Don't be depressed. Her nick name is 'Spanners' since she's so much work. 45 acting like a 20 something. Pass. The wall defeats them all.

Anyone who has been even casually following him on social media and is a Jets fan is pumped for Bell this season. The kid is determined. Reminds me of Jamal last year. We have some hardworking players on this team.

I’m expecting a big year from Bell.

Bell is working on his body in ways that OTA’s can never come close to. Look at his workouts and you see him working on flexibility and strengthening ligaments. So when he takes that awkward hit during the season he can absorb it and continue. It’s absolutely critical especially for RB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

December 18th 2018- Rams sign fat CJ Anderson from a Five Guys Burgers.
December 23, 2018- Fat CJ Anderson runs for 167 yards and  TD

Anyone still want to argue that being in Camp in May is necessary for a RB? 
Football is a team sport. It is nice when your better players want to show up even if it is not mandatory it sends a better message to the younger guys and the guys who have not played their best football. I don't hate bell for not showing up I get it.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app