Douglas Hire has Different Feel Than Predecessors, and it Should

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What makes it different is that they gave him a lot of money, years, and control, which will make the job more appealing if/when Douglas moves on. This hire was a big-boy move and they stepped up to get it done.

THIS time it's different.

-- every single one of you, every single time

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Good article and points on Ozzie and Roseman - Ozzie is one if the best ever and even though many thought the Eagles were nuts when they went all in on QB's, they got their franchise and won a Lombardi - can't argue with the results

Douglas played the game, has more experience than any Jets GM in memory and a working relationship with the HC - the contract also should dispel any "puppet GM" press by the crappy NY media  so at least he has a chance, time will tell on results

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

At least we are making moves that seem to make sense.  

I have been critical of ownership for a long time but this appears to be a very real and thought out process. 

BUT... I liked MACs resume too and we saw how that went. 

BTW... I don’t think the gap between Idzik and MAC was that large. MAC was pretty bad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 5

I like that it sounds like Douglas not only took care of himself financially but wanted to make sure the money was there to build out the organization with quality scouts and front office guys.

i know CJ got a lot of heat w the Mac fire timing and maybe he fell into this situation of having no competition for the best candidate but it has worked out beautifully.

A young FQB a young future all pro Safety leading the defense. A young offensive minded progressive HC who is on the same page as his GM. The best GM candidate in the NFL.   This is the team we root for- what a breath of fresh air.  

AND new uniforms

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m not saying the results will be different. I’m saying this process looked more, shall we say, composed? 

It is the move of a team that is serious about trying to win. it's one thing to say the words, another to act.

The variety of possible outcome is still large, cos, well, Jets...   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

At least we are making moves that seem to make sense.  

I have been critical of ownership for a long time but this appears to be a very real and thought out process. 

BUT... I liked MACs resume too and we saw how that went. 

BTW... I don’t think the gap between Idzik and MAC was that large. MAC was pretty bad. 

I dunno, we have a potent roster on paper now, much more so then after Idzik, no? Mac did leave us in fairly good shape as the article stated imo.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Supposedly the word is that productivity over analytics. Difference there.

I don't know what the distinction between those two concepts is in your mind because keeping track of productivity and using it to inform decisions is basically the definition of what analytics is. 'Measurables' is closer to what I assume you're trying to say but it's al word vomit.

20 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Right. So it's not something you could be expected to expand on, support with evidence, or speak to in any meaningful way, You're just doing the football words.

I just talk sh*t with no backup at all, it’s how I roll 

• Haha 1

The biggest difference seems to with regards to an actual plan. Regardless of outcome, there was clearly a ?well-thought out design, which was linearly executed over the better part of a year. They had a specific situation in mind, they went out and achieved it. That in and of itself is a shift in how this franchise has conducted themselves over the couple decades. It could still go t!ts up, but there is a feeling of competence for the time being.

24 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Right. So it's not something you could be expected to expand on, support with evidence, or speak to in any meaningful way, You're just doing the football words.

Outside of the Jets being the Jets doing Jets things. Not much else but blind hope. The Eagles are good and probably hire good people. Hopefully he wasnt over promoted.

Does it  bother anyone that he seemed to need convincing to take the job?  It was reported he didn’t want the job but was finally won over after several offers by an overwhelming financial sum and six year length of contract. Taking a job just for the money can lead to trouble later on. I hope he really wants it. 

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

I dunno, we have a potent roster on paper now, much more so then after Idzik, no? Mac did leave us in fairly good shape as the article stated imo.

Macc had 5 offseasons of compiling players. Idzik sucked and was deservedly fired, but he had just 2 offseasons to Macc's 5; the first of which was a full-on cap purge season post-Tannenbaum, in a weak draft to boot. Never took his chance to spend all the cap space he'd saved up, but that's the bed he made. Still, if you want to make an apples to apples comparison, at least compare the state of the team after the 2014 season to the team right after the 2016 season. 

Whatever. Hopefully the new GM makes it beyond arguable that he's not as bad as either of his 2 predecessors.

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

THIS time it's different.

-- every single one of you, every single time

From the reaction I read people are happy with the move but I haven't see this overreaction of people calling for Jets domination. People feel like this was a good move because 1) Macc is gone and 2) the Jets made a big commitment to a respected candidate.

No reason to hate on people for being happy.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, docdhc said:

Does it  bother anyone that he seemed to need convincing to take the job?  It was reported he didn’t want the job but was finally won over after several offers by an overwhelming financial sum and six year length of contract. Taking a job just for the money can lead to trouble later on. I hope he really wants it. 

Does it bother me that the guy we just put in charge of the roster is a great negotiator? Hell no. He understood his worth, he didn't blink and he got more money.

The Jets need the person in this role to be tough because Gase is a nut job and someone has to keep him in check.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3