Time to play the "what if" game

Alka

What if the current GM and his staff were in place at the beginning of 2019, before the draft and free agency began?

I actually like most of the moves made by Macc this offseason, with the exception of the lack of center, edge rusher and cornerback.

Still love that we got:  CJ Moseley, Crowder, our running back.  Love getting Q Wiliams, Polite seems to be a decent pick in round 3, like our new tight end in round 4.  Love our trade for Osemele for a 5th round pick for left tackle.

How much better would Douglas have done?  

Of course we'll never know, but would Douglas have been able to plug all the holes and still get the quality players that we seemed to have gotten?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alka said:

What if the current GM and his staff were in place at the beginning of 2019, before the draft and free agency began?

I actually like most of the moves made by Macc this offseason, with the exception of the lack of center, edge rusher and cornerback.

Still love that we got:  CJ Moseley, Crowder, our running back.  Love getting Q Wiliams, Polite seems to be a decent pick in round 3, like our new tight end in round 4.  Love our trade for Osemele for a 5th round pick for left tackle.

Of course we'll never know, but would Douglas have been able to plug all the holes and still get the quality players that we seemed to have gotten?

Have to “ lol “ at this. Douglas, most certainly would have done better, Hell any gm would. Mac did not “ select out of thin air “ the signed players. He just lucked into a gm’s wet dream with most cap in nfl ? He didn’t “ woooo” anyone to come here. He just massively overpaid for Mosley, bell, and even crowder.. He wasn’t able to do 2 things at once like a normal gm. While he was letting bell search for last min offers, 2 of the top FA centers were signing elsewhere while Mac saw absolutely no urgency for a center. Which is no surprise since he was the biggest anti -OL gm. That is what really sent Gase over the edge. Any HC not a D guru like bowles, understands the importance of a quality center, especially for a young qb. Douglas and any competent gm in our position makes a hard run at paradis, and like gets him.. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 5

Geesh you guys suck at playing.

What if Douglas was in place before the off season? 

I doubt Bell would have been signed. I can see Mosley and Crowder still being signed. 

I think he would've made it a priority to sign one of the centers in free agency. If not, prob would have tried to trade down BUT he believe being strong in the trenches, so i'm not sure he would've passed on Quinnen Williams. 

• Sympathy 1

What if none of the guys Macc got for us pan out? Then it is easy to think Douglas could have done better.

What if all of them do? Was it Macc finding them? Douglas? Gase?

What if it doesn't matter who the coach and front office are because secretly the johnsons have been pulling the strings since owning the team?

What if Douglas fails?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Alka said:

1 hour ago, Alka said:

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I have no idea.  What happened happened and could't have happened any other way (to quote Morpheus).

This is one of things were folks can say anything they want tbqh, and there is no "proof" they're wrong.

So sure, Douglas would have pried Brady from the Pats, and found 5 all-pro O-linemen in addition to Bell and Mosely and a great CB, and we'd be the de facto Super Bowl favorite. 

Yay!

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Have to “ lol “ at this. Douglas, most certainly would have done better, Hell any gm would. Mac did not “ select out of thin air “ the signed players. He just lucked into a gm’s wet dream with most cap in nfl ? He didn’t “ woooo” anyone to come here. He just massively overpaid for Mosley, bell, and even crowder.. He wasn’t able to do 2 things at once like a normal gm. While he was letting bell search for last min offers, 2 of the top FA centers were signing elsewhere while Mac saw absolutely no urgency for a center. Which is no surprise since he was the biggest anti -OL gm. That is what really sent Gase over the edge. Any HC not a D guru like bowles, understands the importance of a quality center, especially for a young qb. Douglas and any competent gm in our position makes a hard run at paradis, and like gets him.. 

Can you point out the bargain contracts that wee handed out to other players the caliber of Bell, Mosley, and Crowder. I'm not saying we didn't  overpay to get them, but that seems to be the norm now with quality FA players.

First off since Gase was not happy with the price of Bell, he probably signs with the Colts who I believe were tje other team that wanted to sign him. We don't draft QW, we trade down and get an OL most likely,  we still sign Mosely and Crowder. Maybe one of the C's is a Jet. Hard to say on that one. It's not like we didn't  invest in the OL so hard to say if we get both Ose and Paradis. That is a lot of money on the OL. Not sure Gase would have done that. 

1 hour ago, freestater said:

The sun would have spit a solar flare in our direction so massive, that our atmosphere was destroyed and all life on this planet would have been extinguished. The end.

so we'll all be able to finally get some rest? 

that sounds nice 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Can you point out the bargain contracts that wee handed out to other players the caliber of Bell, Mosley, and Crowder. I'm not saying we didn't  overpay to get them, but that seems to be the norm now with quality FA players.

Never mentioned bargain did I ? But when no other team is coming Close to your offer, why did Mac have to be a little punk and throw $$ away ? Did same thing with t Johnson, Revis, fitz.. was just a bad gm. All while letting a major position and need on offense go un touched. Center. No way Douglas would have not made a strong push for paradis. Mac was just a bad gm 

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

First off since Gase was not happy with the price of Bell, he probably signs with the Colts who I believe were tje other team that wanted to sign him. We don't draft QW, we trade down and get an OL most likely,  we still sign Mosely and Crowder. Maybe one of the C's is a Jet. Hard to say on that one. It's not like we didn't  invest in the OL so hard to say if we get both Ose and Paradis. That is a lot of money on the OL. Not sure Gase would have done that. 

Mac had to invest $$ on OL because we probably were only team in nfl not to have a starting OL on a rookie deal. Most have 2-3. Most teams actually draft OL before 6 round more than once in 6 years lol

12 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Never mentioned bargain did I ? But when no other team is coming Close to your offer, why did Mac have to be a little punk and throw $$ away ? Did same thing with t Johnson, Revis, fitz.. was just a bad gm. All while letting a major position and need on offense go un touched. Center. No way Douglas would have not made a strong push for paradis. Mac was just a bad gm 

Nobody is disputing  your position  on Mac, but overpaying for FA is what is done by every team. If you don't,  you will just sign scrubs.

• Haha 1

The crazy thing is we are going to win 10-11 games this year and make the playoffs.

Gase will win coach of the year.  Quinnin will win rookie of the year.  Darnold will blossom into a franchise qb.  Leveon bell will lead the league in rushing.  Adams, Leo, Mosely, trumaine, the olineman we signed from the raiders and robbie anderson will all make the pro bowl.

and we will marvel at how mac put this all together and why the heck did we get rid of this genius.

• Sympathy 1

The "what if" game is the perfect vehicle for posters to assert scenarios which support their existing positions.

The scenarios would be impossible to either prove or disprove and so the results of any ensuing discussions would, dare i say it, be rather predictable.

On the other hand it is the off season so have at it.

23 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Nobody is disputing  your position  on Mac, but overpaying for FA is what is done by every team. If you don't,  you will just sign scrubs.

Lol my position ? That he was a gm ? I thought that was everyone now ?‍♂️  Eccentricity yours lol. Yes again, you can have the best offer, but also do not have to be desperate like mac and not only give best offer, but best by a lot. That that in gm 101

2 hours ago, Alka said:

how was the play mrs. lincoln?

>>>I actually like most of the moves made by Macc this offseason, with the exception of the lack of center, edge rusher and cornerback.

29 minutes ago, EM31 said:

The "what if" game is the perfect vehicle for posters to assert scenarios which support their existing positions.

The scenarios would be impossible to either prove or disprove and so the results of any ensuing discussions would, dare i say it, be rather predictable.

Exactly.

Agree with SAR I that this front office is not possible before the draft but since we are playing "what if", they would have;

signed Crowder, Bell and Mosley plus Saffold, Paradis and Barr for the same money

kept 5th round pick, swapping 6th round picks with Raiders for Osemele

traded Lee before or during draft to add pick this year instead of waiting a year

extended LW and traded #3 for Bradbury at #15 and Greedy Williams in 2nd (both Washington picks) plus extra picks for next two years (at minimum traded LW for 2nd round pick to get Greedy)

trade up for Chase Winovich right in front of cheats for the big FU - boom

plus they run a train on giselle while tammy watches (ok, that might be going too far) LOL

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I like Bell as 2-3 year guy that supports Darnold as both an "attention getter" and a safety valve for the offense on check-downs.  The Jets had the money and I have no issue with them using it on Bell.  The question when a team drafts or signs anyone relates to the opportunity cost.  In other words, when you pay someone it means you're not paying somebody else....you've passed on that opportunity.  Same for the draft.  Taking QW meant the Jets weren't taking Josh Allen, weren't trading down, etc.

I think that in the end this is all going to work out because Maccagnan did some things that Douglas likely wouldn't have and now Douglas is expected to be super-focused on the OLine.  I think that a franchise LT, a starting Center and a WR1 are on the way....with all 3 possible as soon as the Spring using both FA and the Draft.  I like the 2021 Draft to get the young RB that will replace Bell.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Geesh you guys suck at playing.

What if Douglas was in place before the off season? 

I doubt Bell would have been signed. I can see Mosley and Crowder still being signed. 

I think he would've made it a priority to sign one of the centers in free agency. If not, prob would have tried to trade down BUT he believe being strong in the trenches, so i'm not sure he would've passed on Quinnen Williams. 

Gase pretty much said he wanted Mosley. For his leadership.   And Crowder was made for Gase, who loves slot guys