Training Camp Tweets (8/3)

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How can anyone forget?  He was smoking synthetic weed while jacking off in a Target parking lot.  That string of words is impossible to forget. 

and two open containers of vaseline on the center console. Geebus, what a waste of money, although it was Target brand, smart shopper.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Drums said:

I’ve tried, for weeks, to calm expectations for this season, but damn! Reading this is making it difficult. I think this is the best camp the Jets have had since I’ve been on Jetnation. That’s what happens when your QB is good. 

I’ve also noticed a drop in negativity in the board— even though we’ve all predicted that if the Jets were ever able to win a super bowl, people here would find something to complain about. 

Anyway, to quote Hunter S Thompson- buy the ticket, take the ride. 

¡Vámonos!

Its all about the QB.  Its something we have always missed out on. I mean I liked Pennington and Testaverde but this is the first time we have a young QB with such a high ceiling.  Good Times are coming

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Are there seriously going to be people on this board beating the Polite is a bust drum after 10 practices and a dumb thread declaring him a bust? Seriously? I don't expect much from humanity but if ya'll could just try to get those brain cells working for a few moments while you're posting that would be great.

Dude.  If he hasn't been able to break into the starting lineup by now then there is no hope.  Aren't you tired of holding on to lost causes past their first week of training camp? How long does it take? 

• Upvote 1

Jets Practice Report: Sam Darnold Sizzles in Scrimmage 

IMG_6717-greenberg-head

Ethan Greenberg

TEAM REPORTER

E_sz2_4317-darnold-practice-report-thumb (002)

Current history repeated itself Saturday.

After the Jets practiced Wednesday, head coach Adam Gase said he knew QB Sam Darnold was going to have a good day after a botched handoff in the first team period because after a mistake, Darnold locks in. Saturday, Trumaine Johnson picked off the second-year signal-caller early in 7-on-7 work and once the team scrimmage began, Darnold came out firing.

The 22-year-old led a pair of touchdown drives in as many series against the second-team defense. In the first possession, the 6’3”, 225-pounder connected on big gains with Robby Anderson, Quincy Enunwa and Jamison Crowder, who converted on third-and-9, before Chris Herndon reeled in a touchdown pass in the back of the end zone to finish the march.

"I felt like we executed pretty well today. We came out fast, came out executing and we slowed ourselves down with a few early penalties, but we didn't let it stop us. We still drove down the field both times and finished how we want to each time we're in the red zone," said Herndon, who later added about his score, "It was really just a scramble play. I had a simple seam route and when I looked back, Sam was getting ready to scramble. He saw me and we just kind of connected."

Then driving toward the opposite end zone, Darnold fired a perfect pass to the sideline just past the outstretched hands of a defender where only Crowder, who did a nice job of keeping two feet in bounds, could reel it in. Later that series, Le’Veon Bell kept the chains moving on fourth-and-short with a run up the gut and three plays after, Ty Montgomery found the end zone on a swing pass.

“When we got him signed, the wheels started turning on offense as far as what we’re going to do, how we’re going to use these guys and what it’s going to look like,” Gase said. “We’re experimenting with all that stuff. His versatility, his flexibility and his knowledge, he’s extremely smart. We put a lot on his plate and he’s able to play a lot of different roles for us.”

Defense Also Sharp in Scrimmage
After Darnold completed his day of work in the scrimmage periods, the first-team defense took the field against the second-team offense. Cornerback Brian Poole set the tone early, picking off Trevor Siemian on the third play of the drive. Jamal Adams made a nice run stop inside the defense’s 10-yard line and eventually forced the offense from finding paydirt.

“I liked the energy. We got a lot of plays,” Gase said. “That was probably the most plays we’ve done in a scrimmage-type [session]. It just felt like it was going smooth, so we kept going. It was good.”

Jetcetera
Both the second and third teams were live in scrimmage. Jachai Polite had two sacks on the same series, backing the offense up to third-and-26, but UDFA WR Greg Dortch made a terrific catch to convert. Two plays later, Davis Webb found Tim White for the score. White also made a beautiful catch in 7-on-7 work. … Second-year DL Nathan Shepherd and Folorunso Fatukasi both made their presence felt in the run game. … LB Neville Hewitt popped Valentine Holmes on a touchdown-saving hit. … Tyler Jones (calf) and Harvey Langi (knee) both left practice early. … Kelvin Beachum has a sprained ankle. … The Jets waived TE Temuchin Hodges.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JiF said:

JetNation, your favorite poster @T0mShane butt fumbled this post because he rather be right that Polite is a bust than actually see good reports about his play.

This is your hero? 

Nah, comes across a little churlish at times.  You rock JiF.  Don't let him get under skin.  

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You know who we never hear about in these training camp reports? Elijah McGuire. I think he's as good as gone.

Yep, looks that way.  I really thought McGuire was going to have a break out season last year.

Nothing.  Think he's a gonner.  Think Cannon beats him out because of his ST's play, and top end speed

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yep, looks that way.  I really thought McGuire was going to have a break out season last year.

Nothing.  Think he's a gonner.  Think Cannon beats him out because of his ST's play, and top end speed

Nah. Cannon is gone. He’s just not a good runner. They don’t need him on ST either. 

Unless Montogomery being a flex helps open another spot. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Nah. Cannon is gone. He’s just not a good runner. They don’t need him on ST either. 

Unless Montogomery being a flex helps open another spot. 

We may have other options as returners, but Cannon was our primary ST gunner last season, especially at the end of the season.  He was getting 20+ snaps per game on Specials over the last few games.  He and Peake were our top 2 gunners, and I think Peake was gone once we signed Bellamy. 

I think that Cannon has a real shot.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, flgreen said:

Hmmm

Macc's last draft.   Q, looks like the real deal.  Polite has had 5 sacks in the last 3 days, Edoga is playing with the 1's, Everything I've heard about Wesco is positive on the blocking side, Cashman getting reps with the 1's, and great reviews.  

LOL  

Said it after the draft that it looked like he had finally had a good one.

If so, then they fired him at the exact right time. The odds that he could put together great back-to-back drafts were infintesimally small. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

We may have other options as returners, but Cannon was our primary ST gunner last season, especially at the end of the season.  He was getting 20+ snaps per game on Specials over the last few games.  He and Peake were our top 2 gunners, and I think Peake was gone once we signed Bellamy. 

I think that Cannon has a real shot.

Cannon has that speed that you can't teach. He's made plays on offense this year in camp, and has an important role on specials. He defenitely sticks ahead of McGuire, but I've been saying that for a long time, now. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, slats said:

If so, then they fired him at the exact right time. The odds that he could put together great back-to-back drafts were infintesimally small. 

And we’re talking about his “best” draft as one that’ll likely yield a plus defensive tackle, a blocking TE, and a developmental ILB prospect. 

• Sympathy 1

On 8/3/2019 at 2:09 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's interesting to me how "conventional wisdom" has completely changed through the years. 

A couple of decades ago, everyone always wanted a HC to go for it on 4th and short.  Of course, HCs back then would punt because they were "responsible".  Nowadays HCs routinely go for it.

Also, back in the day, a kick returner would never be allowed to run back a kick if he were several yards in the end zone.  In today's game, it's commonplace for a kick returner to try to return a kick even if he catches it in the back of the end zone.

With the rule putting the ball at the 25, doing that is just plain silly and should get the kick returner replaced when he does that.  SEE:  Montgomery, Ty. 

On 8/3/2019 at 4:22 PM, Drums said:

even though we’ve all predicted that if the Jets were ever able to win a super bowl, people here would find something to complain about.

Never understood this.  No, we wouldn't.  It's because we haven't won a Super Bowl since the merger that we complain about everything.  All we've ever wanted is the Jets to win a SB. 

The only complaint I'd ever have is about the bandwagon fans we're bound to see around here if/when the Jets win it all.  But that's inevitable for any fanbase that experiences a championship after a long drought.