Gase Calls out Players for not Knowing Assignments

JetNation

23 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Can we bench Gase instead and play Bell and Montgomery at the same time and use different formations and spread them out as WRs instead of running up the middle and draw plays the whole game?

And do this while incorporating your third QB in three games against three of the best defenses in football?

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Coquito said:

The wheels fell off of this thing pretty quick.

I thought that’s why Bowles was always criticized here because he didn’t call out anyone or hold them accountable?  Now the HC is doing just that and now he’s being criticized.  Which is it people?  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Respectfully, the Jets tried that tactic for the last 10 years and all it did was produce a culture so poisonous that we had to get rid of a lot of talent and rebuild to clear it all out.

Calm discussions in private meetings doesn't mean 'accountability'.  Knowing your coach is going to out you in the national media and that subsequently you are going to get trolled hard on Twitter, hmm, that seems to be working.  Look at Jamal Adams' last 6 days.  He seems to have responded.

I like this approach.  I think the old way was a cop out.  Why should Adam Gase and his wife be humiliated because Robbie Anderson didn't study this week?  Did your college teachers turn your F's into A's because it was their fault you didn't study for a midterm?  Does your boss apologize on your behalf and give you a raise for missing your numbers every year?

SAR I

No, my boss would fire me but the JETs don't do any of that "old" stuff. 

40 minutes ago, SAR I said:

WRONG.  Absolutely WRONG.

Every successful leader builds a team good enough to know when they themselves are to blame and expects them to be  accountable for their own mistakes.

This boilerplate coachspeak "It's on me I need to do a better job..." the likes of Wilkerson and Richardson took that literally, "it's not my fault, my coach said its his fault" and they smoked weed and spread an awful, lazy, weak culture.

Gase is 100% right to hold players accountable if he knows that they know the playbook and aren't executing the plays properly.  If Robbie Anderson runs 5 yards and turns sharp right when the play calls for him to run 10 yards and slant left, that's not on Gase.  That's on the player.

SAR I

Wrong!  Unless you are a robot who works for the Jets marketing department which you clearly do, the boss always takes the blame, sarBOT.

You NEVER ever ever criticize your team in public.  You always have their backs.

its the relocation packages!

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I thought that’s why Bowles was always criticized here because he didn’t call out anyone or hold them accountable?  Now the HC is doing just that and now he’s being criticized.  Which is it people?  

It's SOJF's trying very hard to be as miserable as possible.  They'll look for any illogical and contradictory crack to flow through.

SAR I

27 minutes ago, usapaw said:

No, my boss would fire me but the JETs don't do any of that "old" stuff. 

Well, you can't fire half your receivers in-season and they're under contract so....

Instead of the weaksauce coachspeak "It's on me, I have to be a better coach" horsesh:t, we have a head coach who is going to call out the players and let everyone know what's going on.  It's better this way.  Builds a culture of honesty, makes individual players work harder, makes the group as a whole police those who are letting the group down.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Oh God can we just fire this clown?

Yes, firing a league-wide respected head coach in Week 3 when he's lost not one but two of his quarterbacks would send a great message to every other head coaching candidate next season, they'll really want to come to Florham Park.

It's asinine.  You want to gingerly protect the players who aren't doing their jobs and punt the head coach who is doing his.  And we wonder why people label us "dysfunctional".

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

Not for nothing but didn't we crush Bowles after every press conference for the consistent coach speak? 'I've got to be better', 'The team needs to come together', 'We need to dig deep and figure it out'....

Gase is calling it like he's seeing it here. I'm no Gase fan and didn't love the hire but this is a case of no matter what a coach says after a loss it's not going to be good enough.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

48 minutes ago, SAR I said:

WRONG.  Absolutely WRONG.

Every successful leader builds a team good enough to know when they themselves are to blame and expects them to be  accountable for their own mistakes.

This boilerplate coachspeak "It's on me I need to do a better job..." the likes of Wilkerson and Richardson took that literally, "it's not my fault, my coach said its his fault" and they smoked weed and spread an awful, lazy, weak culture.

Gase is 100% right to hold players accountable if he knows that they know the playbook and aren't executing the plays properly.  If Robbie Anderson runs 5 yards and turns sharp right when the play calls for him to run 10 yards and slant left, that's not on Gase.  That's on the player.

SAR I

Maybe he should try teaching the team the playbook.

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes, firing a league-wide respected head coach in Week 3 when he's lost not one but two of his quarterbacks would send a great message to every other head coaching candidate next season, they'll really want to come to Florham Park.

It's asinine.  You want to gingerly protect the players who aren't doing their jobs and punt the head coach who is doing his.  And we wonder why people label us "dysfunctional".

SAR I

How has Gase done his job?  

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

And do this while incorporating your third QB in three games against three of the best defenses in football?

For the Gase redeemers, Mason Randolph who never started an NFL game before was 14-27, 2 TDS.  That’s game planning for the talent you have (or don’t have).

And for the record, don’t invoke the name of Len Bias, who was a friend of mine.  Just STFU you jackass.

6 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Maybe he should try teaching the team the playbook.

They've had it since April.  And from what we've seen, it's a very basic offense right now, Bill Walsh isn't exactly rolling over in his grave over this third-string simpleton setup.

SAR I

• Haha 1

Just now, SAR I said:

They've had it since April.  And from what we've seen, it's a very basic offense right now, Bill Walsh isn't exactly rolling over in his grave over this third-string simpleton setup.

SAR I

Honestly i think the guys on offense are dogging it b/c they know they’re severely undermanned, both b/c of injury and lack of talent.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Some facts:

1. It's the worst roster in football. 

2. It's the worst QB room in football.

3. Maccagnan was in charge of the roster up through late May. 

None of these facts mean that Adam Gase isn't a bad coach, but they all add up to mean that you don't know if Gase is bad. Can you reactionary turds give Gase one (1) offseason to get some players he actually likes before we assume he's the reason the team has been garbage for the past five years?

Here's the issue as one poster clearly articulated, he doesnt adjust to the talent he has at his disposal. I'm all for calling out players and benching them, it was a breathe of fresh air to see Gase doing that with some guys last week.

But there has been an issue on offense, even the game Darnold started, where the o-line seems at a loss as to who to block and the WRs cant get open for the last 3 weeks. Gase has not adjusted for this in the 3 games he has coached here. 

Lastly, Gase isn't a first time HC so you cant call us reactionary turds because there has been a history for Gase we can point to. He had a number of years in Miami to fix issues and he never did and now the same issues he had in Miami are rearing they're ugly head here.

10 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

How has Gase done his job?  

In the face of significant adversity and disappointment, the team is not imploding, the team is still fighting hard on every down.

I'll bet you anything that back in August you had the Jets at 1-2 by the end of Week 3.  So we're 1 game off the pace despite having the worst QB situation in the NFL.  So Adam Gase owes you 1 game.  Let's see if he can get it for you.

No loss is fun for a fanbase, but only Jets fans lose so stupidly.

SAR I

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

For the Gase redeemers, Mason Randolph who never started an NFL game before was 14-27, 2 TDS.  That’s game planning for the talent you have (or don’t have).

And for the record, don’t invoke the name of Len Bias, who was a friend of mine.  Just STFU you jackass.

How's the Steelers OL?  You know, the team that was picked by most to win the AFC North.  Asking for a friend.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Honestly i think the guys on offense are dogging it b/c they know they’re severely undermanned, both b/c of injury and lack of talent.

I think when the QB play is bad, everyone on offense stops playing hard. You saw that this afternoon with the Giants—the first two weeks that offense looked as talent poor as any in the league with Eli. With Daniel Jones, they had guys you couldn’t even name making plays all over the field. Same thing in Carolina. 

• Upvote 1