Gase Calls out Players for not Knowing Assignments

JetNation

10 hours ago, Coquito said:

The wheels fell off of this thing pretty quick.

I haven't seem any indication that the wheels were in place in the first place.  Gase might be an ok HC if he had an excellent roster.  We need a HC who can rise to an occasion and not one who is only capable of managing a good situation.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

ILBs are no big deal, you do not win and lose with ilbs in this league.  Mosley is a smart player and a fine leader he would have had zero effect on the game today.

I cannot believe you actually posted the 2rd point.  Give low effort to save your self for when you are 0-6 on the year. 

Having Mosley likely wouldn't have changed the outcome but having our best cover LB on short routes certainly could have prevented the spanking we saw otherwise.

The point about the effort is an issue I find in the NFL more than any other sport and it's not exclusive to the Jets. There are backups that will fight and claw the whole time but players that know they have a contract will give minimal effort when all hope is lost. We weren't going to have much of a chance with Darnold let alone a 3rd string 1st time starter on a short week.

I have no problem sounding off on Gase come mid season but I won't lose my mind given the circumstances I've outlined through 3 weeks.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

Mononucleousis
Semen
Falk

Yeah, let's judge Adam Gase on that pile of steaming QB horses-it.

SAR I

What ever happened to “the alphas (CJ and Gase) made Macc draft the players they wanted”?  Shouldn’t our roster be talented enough to at least compete, despite losing our QB?  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, PCP63 said:

The spread doesn't really spread out the defense all that much. Especially if your slots aren't elite perimeter threats. I did a whole write up on it in the off-season. All you do is make the nickel defenders apex, but not enough to where they can't still fold in and get to their run fits. Often by COMPRESSING the offense, you open up space outside. 

They need to do something different or then two plays and I’ll gladly take my chances with Bell being covered by a LB. if they start with Bell and Montgomery in the backfield then spread then out once in a while it can create mismatches. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

Only an idiot would ignore the fact that we haven’t had an NFL quarterback under center in any of our first 3 games. 

You act like QB hasn’t been a problem. “Adjustments” aren’t possible when 3 of the top defenses in the NFL put 11 in the box because they know you don’t have a quarterback. 

SAR I

We had Darnold for 4 qrts against the Bill's. 8 points. 

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

We all saw Robbie Anderson and Crowder drifting aimlessly around the field today. What's the remedy? Demaryius Thomas? 

Gase gets knocked for this. 

Really weird the way people are digging thier heels in and taking sides basically over mac.

Both of these things are true:

1) Mac did an abysmal job here and left Gase with a thin, talent poor roster that's a huge liability

2) Gase has done a terrible job up till now displaying a lot of the traits he was knocked for in Miami. 

• Upvote 4

For the Gase redeemers, Mason Randolph who never started an NFL game before was 14-27, 2 TDS.  That’s game planning for the talent you have (or don’t have).
And for the record, don’t invoke the name of Len Bias, who was a friend of mine.  Just STFU you jackass.

Mason Rudolph also plays behind a top 5 OL. We can’t leave the OL out of the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What ever happened to “the alphas (CJ and Gase) made Macc draft the players they wanted”?  Shouldn’t our roster be talented enough to at least compete, despite losing our QB?  

You know this-  we aren't a team with a deep roster.  The moves made in the offseason got us some exciting starters, but years of draft misses have depleted the roster of quality 2's and 3's to back them up.

So to judge Gase on 3 games in the midst of a medical crisis isn't fair.  He gets a full year like every other first year head coach does.  With some games under his belt with the full roster in place we'll be able to see how creative his offensive gameplans can be.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

We had Darnold for 4 qrts against the Bill's. 8 points. 

And he collapsed as soon as he got to the locker room, took a blood test, and was diagnosed with mono two days later.  When asked if the mono affected him during the Bills game, Darnold said he was maybe at 80% if that.  It's a debilitating disease.  Tiredness and muscle weakness like you were run over by a truck.  That's why Sam wasn't himself in that game and why the offense looked so anemic.

As for the Browns and Patriots games, Semen got all the prep work and went down in the first quarter putting a practice squader out there.  Can't judge Gase as an OC so far this year. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And he collapsed as soon as he got to the locker room, took a blood test, and was diagnosed with mono two days later.  When asked if the mono affected him during the Bills game, Darnold said he was maybe at 80% if that.  It's a debilitating disease.  Tiredness and muscle weakness like you were run over by a truck.  That's why Sam wasn't himself in that game and why the offense looked so anemic.

As for the Browns and Patriots games, Semen got all the prep work and went down in the first quarter putting a practice squader out there.  Can't judge Gase as an OC so far this year. 

SAR I

most of the regular posters here are eternal optimists.  we thought that despite all of mccagnan's failings, gase/douglass would come in and fix the offense immediately.  what we're witnessing so far is the overall lack of talent on the offense, from idzik to mccagnan, that's playing out as it should.  teams that invest in offense should over time get better on offense.  teams that invest on D should do the same on D.  the jets D even w/o Q and mosley clearly has more talent than the offensive unit even with darnold and enunwa (a JAG anyway).

in math terms this is a regression to the mean.  the jets 'mean' offensive output is projected to be arguably the worst in the nfl based on overall talent level.  it's worse w/o darnold.

the only guys on offense who i think are guaranteed to be on the team next year are darnold, bell, crowder and herndon.  the other 7 spots are all up for grabs and they'll try to improve on each one of them.  the entire line is a disaster, to a man, and they should really consider playing edoga who can't possibly be worse than shell.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Mason Rudolph also plays behind a top 5 OL. We can’t leave the OL out of the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here is the issue part of the oline issues goes to the coach for not playing them during the preseason as a unit....he sat Kalil till the 4th preseason game by then the guards were banged up. he should have been playing them from game 2 onward for as many snaps as possible. 

I understand you want to avoid preseason injuries but at what cost? the oline is still not playing as a unit, the scheme does not look to have been adjusted to try to help them as mistakes are still occurring

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

What's  the excuse for the poor OL play?

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What's  the excuse for the poor OL play?

We have seen very good offensive lines look like ass when our quarterback went down.

1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007 were all years where Testaverde or Pennington went down for the season and despite having the likes of Kevin Mawae, Jumbo Elliot, Nick Mangold, and D'Brickashaw Ferguson up front and the likes of Curtis Martin out back you'd have thought we had the worst OL and RB situation in the NFL.  Couldn't pass protect, couldn't run block, looked completely dysfunctional.  2002 being the perfect example, you could flip a switch on the change from Testaverde to Pennington, the exact same offense that looked so pathetic went on to win the division and annihilate the Colts in the playoffs.

QB goes down, D doesn't respect the backup, they stack 11 in the box, take away the RB, dare the QB to beat them, and he can't.  It's the oldest script in the book.  When Darnold returns the OL will improve and the RB will look dominant again.  If you don't have a legitimate NFL QB the D decimates your OL.  It's how it goes.

SAR I

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We have seen very good offensive lines look like ass when our quarterback went down.

1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007 were all years where Testaverde or Pennington went down for the season and despite having the likes of Kevin Mawae, Jumbo Elliot, Nick Mangold, and D'Brickashaw Ferguson up front and the likes of Curtis Martin out back you'd have thought we had the worst OL and RB situation in the NFL.  Couldn't pass protect, couldn't run block, looked completely dysfunctional.  2002 being the perfect example, you could flip a switch on the change from Testaverde to Pennington, the exact same offense that looked so pathetic went on to win the division and annihilate the Colts in the playoffs.

QB goes down, D doesn't respect the backup, they stack 11 in the box, take away the RB, dare the QB to beat them, and he can't.  It's the oldest script in the book.  When Darnold returns the OL will improve and the RB will look dominant again.  If you don't have a legitimate NFL QB the D decimates your OL.  It's how it goes.

SAR I

Really, because I think they looked about the worst they had been against the Bills.

• Upvote 1

The Jets failures this season should be laid at the feet of Mac. The lack of depth thoughout the roster and the total failure to ever address the O line in the draft is on him. While I do feel that Gase can, and should, do better with what he has on O, no amount of coaching or scheming would change the record. They's still be 0-3.

The ONLY thing holding this team together is the hope that Darnold's healthy return will result in the team actually scoring 2 or 3 TD's a game. And for those that feel the need to thank Mac for drafting Darnold, Don't. Instead, thank Kirk Cousins for turning down the Brinks truck full of cash that Mac offered that turd to play for the Jets. Becasue the only thing worse than what the Jets have now, would be the Jets now with Cousins and without Darnold.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

You know this-  we aren't a team with a deep roster.  The moves made in the offseason got us some exciting starters, but years of draft misses have depleted the roster of quality 2's and 3's to back them up.

So to judge Gase on 3 games in the midst of a medical crisis isn't fair.  He gets a full year like every other first year head coach does.  With some games under his belt with the full roster in place we'll be able to see how creative his offensive gameplans can be.

SAR I

Here are the O starters Mac added through the draft and as unsigned college free agents:

Sam Darnold

Robbie Anderson

Brian Winters

Brandon Shell

This is the sum total of Mac's contribution to the Offense. And, as I've been saying for quite awhile, the best of them -- Darnold -- only fell into Mac's lap after his chosen QB -- Cousins -- shunned him to tale less money to play in Minnesota. 

Here are the O back-ups added by Mac:

Trenton Cannon

Chuma Edoga

Trevon Wesco

and ...... no one else ....

WOW! I thought there would at least be a few more Mac draft pick turds riding the pine for the O, but that is it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jetsyrup said:

On third down, the Jets' average yards to go was 11.33! And on 12 third-down plays, they TOTALED minus-4 yards. That's more than a couple guys not knowing their assignments.

Doesn't having negative yards indicate that they were trying to do something instead of taking 2 yards up the gut? 

I feel bad for Leveon Bell.  18 for 35 with 168 yards after contact. At least that is what it seemed like to me. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CTM said:

Gase gets knocked for this. 

Really weird the way people are digging thier heels in and taking sides basically over mac.

Both of these things are true:

1) Mac did an abysmal job here and left Gase with a thin, talent poor roster that's a huge liability

2) Gase has done a terrible job up till now displaying a lot of the traits he was knocked for in Miami. 

It's always been this way around here.  It's a bizarre Jets fan thingy.  This need to place all blame on 1 person.

Gase is terrible.  Always has been.  And the best part about this particular comment is; it's his ******* job to make sure that players know their assignments.  This dude has never owned anything, ever.  It's why he was run out of Miami and here he is doing the same sh*t in NY.  Guess what, it wont change.  It's who he is.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, JetNation said:

Adam Gase

Jets fans are frustrated, Jets players are frustrated and Jets head coach Adam Gase is frustrated.  As the team sits at 0-3 with no wins in sight, Gase was asked after today’s embarrassing loss about why the team has struggled to get things going on offense.  His reply?  “It’s frustrating to see a guy that’s in his first NFL start (QB Luke Falk) knows what’s going on and other guys aren’t executing the way it should be done”.  Surely an indictment of some of his players.

Adam Gase essentially saying Luke Falk had a good idea of the plays… but his teammates did not:

"That was frustrating to see that the guy that’s in his first NFL start knows what’s going on and other guys aren’t executing the way it should be done."

Ouch.

— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) September 22, 2019

Former Jets lineman Damien Woody joined other on twitter in holding Gase accountable for his decisions as a head coach, suggesting he throw out plays that players aren’t grasping, saying “it’s a problem” if a team isn’t grasping what the coaches are teaching.

Reading some of the quotes from Gase & here’s my question…..did the players execute the plays during practice? If not, should’ve tossed it out. Coaches are teachers & if your players aren’t grasping things then that’s a problem #Jets

— Damien Woody (@damienwoody) September 22, 2019

Gase has never been shy about calling out his players and there’s no reason why he should be.  But to suggest they’re on the playing field but don’t know what they’re supposed to be doing isn’t a great look for him and his staff either.

The post Gase Calls out Players for not Knowing Assignments appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

2Z9NPaKZCYA

Click here to read the full story...

i think most are looking at this team and calling out the oline but at the same time it could be the receivers aren't the ones doing their jobs.all of the players need to be on the same page and it's clear they aren't.  but then look at the defense and it does seem like the defense is playing together.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

i think most are looking at this team and calling out the oline but at the same time it could be the receivers aren't the ones doing their jobs.all of the players need to be on the same page and it's clear they aren't.  but then look at the defense and it does seem like the defense is playing together.

“When the quarterback shouts out ‘Zebra 52 Delta 36’ you run 10 yards and make a sharp right”

If wide receivers can’t figure this out after having the playbook since April that ain’t on Coach Gase.

SAR I

58 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Here are the O starters Mac added through the draft and as unsigned college free agents:

Sam Darnold

Robbie Anderson

Brian Winters

Brandon Shell

This is the sum total of Mac's contribution to the Offense. And, as I've been saying for quite awhile, the best of them -- Darnold -- only fell into Mac's lap after his chosen QB -- Cousins -- shunned him to tale less money to play in Minnesota. 

Trenton Cannon

Chuma Edoga

Trevon Wesco

WOW! I thought there would at least be a few more Mac draft pick turds riding the pine for the O, but that is it.

If Edoga cannot get on the field vs. the Eagles, holy sh....

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's always been this way around here.  It's a bizarre Jets fan thingy.  This need to place all blame on 1 person.

Gase is terrible.  Always has been.  And the best part about this particular comment is; it's his ******* job to make sure that players know their assignments.  This dude has never owned anything, ever.  It's why he was run out of Miami and here he is doing the same sh*t in NY.  Guess what, it wont change.  It's who he is.

Gase is a worse Mangini

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

“When the quarterback shouts out ‘Zebra 52 Delta 36’ you run 10 yards and make a sharp right”

If wide receivers can’t figure this out after having the playbook since April that ain’t on Coach Gase.

SAR I

How did they make the team if they couldn't do that?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Sam Darnold

Robbie Anderson

Brian Winters

Brandon Shell

Trenton Cannon

Chuma Edoga

Trevon Wesco

Winters was an Idzik pick. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

What did you expect?  He is a Nick Saban disciple.