Jet's maddening Le'Veon Bell debacle is getting worse

Jets’ maddening Le’Veon Bell debacle is getting worse

October 6, 2019 | 10:24pm

PHILADELPHIA — Le’Veon Bell might like a mulligan.

Joining the Jets on a four-year, $52.5 million deal with plans of forming a “special duo” with Sam Darnold, the star running back is now wasting a second straight year of his prime, this season as part of the league’s most anemic offense.

After sitting out last season with the Steelers, Bell, 27, has spent the majority of this year playing behind an offensive line made of silk and a quarterback who began the season on the practice squad. Through four winless games, during which the Jets have scored just two offensive touchdowns, the league’s second-highest paid running back has just one score and been limited to 2.9 yards per carry.

In five seasons with Pittsburgh, Bell made three Pro Bowls, and averaged over 4.3 yards per carry.

“There’ve been times where I’ve played for other offenses and we’ve struggled, too,” said Bell, who had 43 yards on 15 carries in Sunday’s 31-6 loss to the Eagles.

“No matter who they’re focused on, or whatever, it’s football. So any opportunity I get a chance to make a play, I gotta make the play. I think I could’ve played better today. If everybody in the locker room doesn’t feel the same way, they probably shouldn’t be here.”

Bell was the focal point of Adam Gase’s offensive game plan, receiving five carries and four targets on the Jets’ first 12 plays.

Philadelphia’s defensive game plan shared the same focus.

“That’s a great player over there and he makes that offense go,” Eagles safety Rodney McLeod said. “We definitely had a lot of eyes on him. We wanted to swarm him, swarm to the ball, tackle him. He’s elusive, so we did a good job with that and allowed our [defensive] line to go up there and rush the quarterback.”

image.gif.0acc33a1a315ac26526227c0054de815.gif

When the Jets attempted a fourth-and-1 near midfield in the first quarter, the Eagles knew where Luke Falk would be looking, allowing linebacker Nathan Gerry to turn a terribly thrown ball to Bell into a 51-yard touchdown return.

“I knew that’s where the ball was going,” Gerry said. “We knew how they were going to try and attack us.”

Bell was long part of one of the league’s most explosive offenses, never experiencing a losing season in the NFL or college.

Now, he sees what was buried in the fine print of a contract to join a team without a playoff appearance since 2010.

“I’ve been playing football for so long, so nothing really surprises me anymore,” said Bell, who added seven receptions for 45 yards. “As I’m out there, I kind of feel things go wrong. I feel a play or two, ‘Dang, we missed out on it,’ but I know we’re close. We’re on the brink. Everyone just needs to take account of what they do wrong, and try to correct it. Right now everybody has to look at themselves in the mirror, and say we have to get better. Period.”

25 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Am I the only one feels that Darnold comes back and then somehow Bell gets injured and the O still looks bad?  

the offense will be bad as long as gase is running it-go back and look at miami game film past two years before gase arrived here

• Upvote 1

Where did this come from? This has to be one of the most asinine things written about the jets to date.  Nobody but the Jets were even interested in signing him. You want to talk about a talented RB in purgatory? Kareem Hunt. He is a starting quality RB that will play very little this year behind Chubb. That is wasting your prime, not what Bell has done. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Where did this come from? This has to be one of the most asinine things written about the jets to date.  Nobody but the Jets were even interested in signing him. You want to talk about a talented RB in purgatory? Kareem Hunt. He is a starting quality RB that will play very little this year behind Chubb. That is wasting your prime, not what Bell has done. 

Ah, so you've spoken with Kitchens, Moncken and Mayfield? You have the inside info nobody else does about how the Browns plan on using him when he comes back? Tell us more...

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

LeVeon Bell is a leader and needs to remain on this team no trading him.

We will get better and he will be a big part of it. 

I totally agree, that is until he goes insane as we fans have from the constant losing.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Ah, so you've spoken with Kitchens, Moncken and Mayfield? You have the inside info nobody else does about how the Browns plan on using him when he comes back? Tell us more...

Jay Glazer expects Kareem Hunt to be used in a change-of-pace role when he returns from suspension.

Glazer is normally spot on with this kind of stuff.

Got any more condescending remarks you want shoved down your throat. 

• Upvote 1

Bell is playing with heart every down! People saying trade him are out of their minds. The whole point is to have multiple guys like this on your team. I’m just scared by the time we get our QB and OL in order we will already ran him into the ground 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

The headline is maddening. It makes it sound as if Bell is acting up. He’s been a good soldier. But yes point being made is correct. Why bang the guy up so much when there is nothing to gain and all to lose?

Bell has been a good solider, plays every snap and gets every possible yard out of every play. I hope the return of Bell will help open things up for him and we get him a few wins. He has been one of the few bright spots for this team. 

• Upvote 1