Jets’ Jamal Adams still won’t meet with Joe Douglas – but he did talk to Christopher Johnson | How did it go?

Apache 51

Jets’ Jamal Adams still won’t meet with Joe Douglas – but he did talk to Christopher Johnson | How did it go?

Updated 1:30 PM;Today 1:25 PM 
Jets’ Jamal Adams was 'hurt' by Joe Douglas’ trade calls

shares

Jamal Adams’ emotions are still raw.

The Jets’ safety said Friday that he still isn’t ready to speak with either head coach Adam Gase or general manager Joe Douglas. But he has met with both of those men’s boss: CEO and acting owner Christopher Johnson.

“It was good, it went well,” Adams said. “Me and Mr. Johnson are really close, I have a lot of respect for him. I was very comfortable because he understands me, not Jamal Adams as a football player, but Jamal Adams as a person. He’s very genuine and authentic and I’ve always had mutual respect for him. So that was a guy I was comfortable with, talking to and it went well.”

Adams said that Johnson was the one who initiated that conversation, but he was more than willing to sit down for it.

“He cares,” Adams said. “He cares not just about football players, he cares about you as a person.”

Some may be tempted to see Adams’ glowing words about Johnson, juxtapose them against his refusal to speak with Gase and Douglas, then draw conclusions. But Adams is adamant – there is no “there” there.

“Do not write that story, man,” Adams said. “No. No. That’s – no, that’s not it. That’s not what I said. I’m just saying, that was who I was comfortable talking with at the time. I’m just not comfortable right now to speak on what happened with those two guys. I will, eventually. I will.”

For now, Adams said his unwillingness to speak face-to-face with Gase and Douglas just boils down to the fact that he needs more time to process the pain he felt around the NFL trade deadline.

“Yeah, apparently I’m in my feelings,” Adams said. “That’s what I see a lot. You can say that.”

If Jets fans are looking for a bright side, though, Adams did offer some desire to make peace with Douglas. When asked if he thinks his eventual conversation with the first-year GM can repair their relationship, Adams said: “I hope it does, man.”

But, Adams also quickly changed the topic: "At the end of the day, that’s not where my focus is right now. My focus is on this team. We have to focus on winning ballgames right now.”

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

I was very comfortable because he understands me, not Jamal Adams as a football player, but Jamal Adams as a person.

What kind of whiny maniac refers to themselves like that in 3rd person?

Oh, yeah...

I am not just AB the football player, I am Antonio Brown, the person...

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

A first and a day 3 pick is not bad to start the conversation.

That is what has been reported

If that’s true, Douglas really screwed up. Having more than half the 2019 season left and a sense of urgency, won’t apply to the offseason trade of Jamal. We’d be lucky to get a 1st after this year in my opinion. I don’t think a good offer was actually on the table. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

If that’s true, Douglas really screwed up. Having more than half the 2019 season left and a sense of urgency, won’t apply to the offseason trade of Jamal. We’d be lucky to get a 1st after this year in my opinion. I don’t think a good offer was actually on the table. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2019/10/29/cowboys-have-consideration-in-the-mill-before-tuesdays-trade-deadline/

According to David Moore, the Cowboys were willing to offer a first-round pick plus another selection for the Pro Bowl safety.

• Upvote 1

n how this ends. He will tear his Achilles tendon the lagame of the season. Making him completely untradeable as he'll miss most of next year. Wont be the same when he returns and the following season he walks with 0 compensation. n how this ends. He will tear his Achilles tendon the last game of the season. Making him t of next year. Wont be the samehen he returnsand the following season 
  •  
  •  #There's no question how this ends. He will tear his Achilles tendon the last
    •  
    •  #41n how this ends. He will tear his Achilles tendon the last game of the season. Making him completely untradeable as he'll miss most of next year. Wont be the same when he returns and the following season he walks with 0 
    Posted just nThere's no question how n how this ends. He will tear his Achilles tendon the last game of the season. Making him completely untradeable as he'll miss most of next year. Wont be the same when he returns and the following season  ends. He will tear his Achilles tendon the last game of the season. Making him completely n how this ends. He will tear his Achilles tendon the last game of the season. n how this ends. He will tear his Achilles tendon the last game of the season. Making him completely untradeable as he'll miss most of next year . Wont be the same when he returns and the following season he walks with 0 compensation. him completely untradeable as he'll miss most of next year. Wont be the same when he returns and the following season he walks with 0 compensation.  as he'll miss most of next year. Wont be the same when he returns and the following season he walks with 0 compensation
  • WTF? 1

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2019/10/29/cowboys-have-consideration-in-the-mill-before-tuesdays-trade-deadline/

According to David Moore, the Cowboys were willing to offer a first-round pick plus another selection for the Pro Bowl safety.

I heard the reports but just can’t believe Douglas would be so stupid to turn that down. I guess it’s true and a shame. We should have taken that deal. I’m really down on Douglas for that if he messed that up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

I heard the reports but just can’t believe Douglas would be so stupid to turn that down. I guess it’s true and a shame. We should have taken that deal. I’m really down on Douglas for that if he messed that up. 

He is worth just as much during the off-season, if that is what they choose to do.

Diva players are a dime a dozen in this league, and everyone feels they have the "culture" that will make them fit. As many egos in management as there are in players.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

A first and a day 3 pick is not bad to start the conversation.

That is what has been reported

For an “all-pro” “culture-changing” “Pro Bowl MVP” former sixth overall pick when the return would be a pick in the high twenties, going to a lock playoff team currently starting special teamer Jeff Heath at strong safety? Either Jamal is a great, game-changing player, or he’s worth the 28th overall pick in the draft and a five. The Cowboys don’t think Adams was changing anything, apparently. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

He is worth just as much during the off-season, if that is what they choose to do.

Diva players are a dime a dozen in this league, and everyone feels they have the "culture" that will make them fit. As many egos in management as there are in players.

I hope so. Like I said earlier, the 9 remaining games and sense of urgency to make an impact in 2019 will be gone and have passed. That should diminish his value in my opinion so I think it’ll be a struggle to move him for even a 1st. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

You’re only saying that now because Adams is hysterically whining and we’d all prefer he wasn’t here. Prior to this crying jag, he was the Jets’ most valuable asset and he would have been going to a team going all-out to get to a Super Bowl this year. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

For an “all-pro” “culture-changing” “Pro Bowl MVP” former sixth overall pick when the return would be a pick in the high twenties, going to a lock playoff team currently starting special teamer Jeff Heath at strong safety? Either Jamal is a great, game-changing player, or he’s worth the 28th overall pick in the draft and a five. The Cowboys don’t think Adams was changing anything, apparently. 

Value is also diminished as Adams will now have used up 3 years of his rookie contract. He would be a rental for the Cowboys, as they have no chance to re-sign him.

Douglas can trade him for a Cowboy first next year, then re-sign him as a FA. Wouldn't that be grand?

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't agree with this position. The deal on Tuesday was:

Nine games of Adams in 2019 + potential playoff games  + 2 more years on Rookie contract

for

a #1 that has no negative impactnon the current season or playoff run

in April the deal is

2 year of Adam's on rookie contract

for

a #1 which will have a negative impact on the next (current season)

Adams was way more valueable to the cowboys a few days ago. It was all near term positive. Certainly if Adams creates a few more turnovers over the rest of the year and makes All Pro his value will rise but if his play stays the same he's probably worth less imo.

• Upvote 3

Just now, CTM said:

I don't agree with this position. The deal on Tuesday was:

Nine games of Adams in 2019 + potential playoff games  + 2 more years on Rookie contract

for

a #1 that has no negative impactnon the current season or playoff run

in April the deal is

2 year of Adam's on rookie contract

for

a #1 which will have a negative impact on the next (current season)

Adams was way more valueable to the cowboys a few days ago. It was all near term positive. Certainly if Adams creates a few more turnovers over the rest of the year and makes All Pro his value will rise but if his play stays the same he's probably worth less imo.

We may, or may not see. 

Boomer E seemed to indicate that he expected the Jets to sign Adams to an extension this off-season. And, that may be the purpose of all this posturing.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I hope so. Like I said earlier, the 9 remaining games and sense of urgency to make an impact in 2019 will be gone and have passed. That should diminish his value in my opinion so I think it’ll be a struggle to move him for even a 1st. 

Yep, read this after my post. Douglas should've taken a #1 and a #3, especially in light of whatever this tantrum turns into

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’re only saying that now because Adams is hysterically whining and we’d all prefer he wasn’t here. Prior to this crying jag, he was the Jets’ most valuable asset and he would have been going to a team going all-out to get to a Super Bowl this year. 

This has nothing to do with the whining. That doesn’t help at all though. This has to do with the fact that he’s nothing special and now we don’t have the advantage of a stupid team like Dallas being impatient and wreckless with draft picks to salvage the season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This has nothing to do with the whining. That doesn’t help at all though. This has to do with the fact that he’s nothing special and now we don’t have the advantage of a stupid team like Dallas being impatient and wreckless with draft picks to salvage the season. 

Others around the league consider him a "one percenter" for his position in terms of talent.

Again, "for his position". I realize and understand that many value that in different manners