Rapoport: Joe Douglas asked for Zack Martin, Tyron Smith in return for Adams; Confirms Adams is full of sh*t

T0mShane

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Maybe he doesn't want Darnold to die this season? What's wrong with wanting to trade for a proven offensive lineman in his prime over a draft pick? Why so you can have a chance to draft someone who may work out as well? Good offensive linemen in their prime don't go to free agency.

That was never ever happening. Douglas should have taken some picks and ran. 

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Which is why there was literally no chance Dallas was going to trade either of those guys for Jamal Adams. That's not negotiating. It's wasting the grown-ups' time.

I think you underestimate Jerry Jones' ego. When he wants something - he's like the male version of Veruca Salt.

give it to me want GIF

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Which is why there was literally no chance Dallas was going to trade either of those guys for Jamal Adams. That's not negotiating. It's wasting the grown-ups' time.

If you don't ask, the answer is always "no".

I rather a GM that shoots for the moon, rather than accept any offer that is thrown their way. It's called negotiating. And to get anything, you start high.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It’s not a low offer. Any 1st, even a late 1, is all that you can expect from a position like this. Sure there are fluke trades from idiot teams like the Steelers and Dolphins with Minkah but you can’t rely on those. Sometimes taking a fair deal, when there is only 1 team interested anyways, is the way to go. 

that's not really true.  there's about a 30% chance of landing an all pro player in the first round.  obviously the chance improves the higher the draft pick.  assuming a team wants to trade for adams they'd have him for 2 1/2 seasons with the option to re-esign him or franchise or whatever.  2 1/2 seasons is nearly the career length of the average player and he's a can't miss.

the bottom line is he's worth more than a first round pick, especially one forecast to be around 25.  maybe top 10 or top 5 would be worth a look.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

that's not really true.  there's about a 30% chance of landing an all pro player in the first round.  obviously the chance improves the higher the draft pick.  assuming a team wants to trade for adams they'd have him for 2 1/2 seasons with the option to re-esign him or franchise or whatever.  2 1/2 seasons is nearly the career length of the average player and he's a can't miss.

the bottom line is he's worth more than a first round pick, especially one forecast to be around 25.  maybe top 10 or top 5 would be worth a look.

I agree about chance to land an all pro etc. We disagree on his value is all. 

1 hour ago, RonaldJet said:

I’m not making that trade. Jamal Adams per PFF is on a HOF career trajectory. Trading him with two years of control left for a late 1 is not a good decision IMO. Especially given the Jets draft resume.

Do people with like 3 career ints over a 10 year period make it to the hof?

I hope to heck others in the league have this delusion that this guy is a hof player so we can get better trade value.

47 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It also sounds like something the Jets would leak to placate their dimwit fans who think this makes Douglas sound like a savvy negotiator.

You know I have no love or hope for the dim Jets fan, but I don’t think even the dimmest Jets fan comes away from that article thinking Douglas is a savvy negotiator. At worst, it makes it sound like he just wasn’t going to deal Adams unless he got loaded up with picks. The reason I think it’s a Cowboys leak is the mention that a mystery third team offered even more(!) and the Jets still declined, which exculpates Jerry Jones from any blame for not getting the deal done. Either way, it makes Jamal’s position look even more unfounded than it originally was. 

1 hour ago, RonaldJet said:

Jamal Adams per PFF is on a HOF career trajectory.

Should be quite a stretch for Jets safeties, what with PFF favorite Kerry Rhodes getting into the Hall, closely followed by Jamal Adams, who has never beaten Rhodes’ PFF grade.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Should be quite a stretch for Jets safeties, what with PFF favorite Kerry Rhodes getting into the Hall, closely followed by Jamal Adams, who has never beaten Rhodes’ PFF grade.

Kerry Rhodes (until he went insane) was what Jamal wishes he was.  A guy that got sacks, got turnovers, could cover and was decent in run defense.  Rhodes was a vastly more useful player than Adams.  for the life of me I still don;t see how this guy (Adams) gets so much press.

I guess it shows that self promotion on and off the field really pays off.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know I have no love or hope for the dim Jets fan, but I don’t think even the dimmest Jets fan comes away from that article thinking Douglas is a savvy negotiator. At worst, it makes it sound like he just wasn’t going to deal Adams unless he got loaded up with picks. The reason I think it’s a Cowboys leak is the mention that a mystery third team offered even more(!) and the Jets still declined, which exculpates Jerry Jones from any blame for not getting the deal done. Either way, it makes Jamal’s position look even more unfounded than it originally was. 

Or, perhaps...A SMEAR CAMPAIGN

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Kerry Rhodes (until he went insane) was what Jamal wishes he was.  A guy that got sacks, got turnovers, could cover and was decent in run defense.  Rhodes was a vastly more useful player than Adams.  for the life of me I still don;t see how this guy (Adams) gets so much press.

I guess it shows that self promotion on and off the field really pays off.

The most "successful" counterparts I've had in every job through my career are good at one thing, and one thing only... selling themselves upward. As designers, they've been consistently awful. At customer advocates, even worse (because they are so self-centered). 
At Powerpoint and smoozing though??? UNSTOPPABLE!

• Upvote 1

I sort of hate that I have to be exceptionally happy to have a GM that cares a lot about the OL...

I mean right? That shouldn't be something that we have to worry about. It shouldn't be a huge surprise that having an OL is vitally important...

But we went through 2 GMs who couldn't care less about those guys, so having one who does is such a huge relief. 

3 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

These reports of trade offers are BS. The only person who actually knows what was offered is Douglas and he's not leaking to the press or so called NFL insiders. It's all click bait.

So, the person/team making the offers to Douglas doesn't know what was offered to Douglas? O...K....

not amused the office GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, prime21 said:

I bought the Sonos Beam for my TV set up making my BoseTv solo speaker expendable. Its a “Bose” and people will jump to buy it.

Problem is the Bose doesn’t have Bluetooth. It’s fancy looking, sounds great but it’s limited. I was lowballed on each offer and now it’s in my 8 year olds room not being used and the wife keeps telling me to take it out and give it away.

Morale of the story is that I should have taken one of those low ball offers because every day this speaker gets more and more outdated.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I had the old Bose Wave Radio, thought it was the coolest thing. Compact, good sound,  CD player! Then I got a couple of Bluetooth speakers.  Bose became my garage radio. When I moved, I sold it for $100 to a 70 year old man that seemed thrilled to get it.

Win - win.

Adams is a great young safety that makes an impact on the defense. He is under contractual control for the next year with an option and there is no reason that JD has trade him anytime soon or at all. I get that JD may not want to invest a ton of money in a safety and that's fine- that decision can be made down the line. But anyone who thinks getting a late first round pick will bring back equal value for a player like Adams is absolutely kidding themselves. It's a complete crapshoot. You are bailing on one of your best defensive players for a complete crapshoot rookie and you don't do it unless you absolutely know for sure you don't plan to re-sign or extend Adams AND you are convinced your team won't be competitive in the next two years. 

This whole mess happened b/c Jamal overreacted to the rumor he heard that JD was shopping him rather than the FACT that JD was taking phone calls. As a player, you need to know that this is a business and its a GMs responsibility to hear out offers. You should be mature enough to stay off social media until you know the facts. HOWEVER, I can't blame him for feeling slighted after sitting down with JD before the deadline and talking about how he wanted to stay a Jet and hearing how glad JD was to hear that, etc. etc. then immediately hearing rumors of JD shopping him- whether they were true or not.

Adams has never made any indication he doesn't want to be a Jet. He has never shown he is willing to give up on the season. He has heart and plays as hard if not harder than any other Jet. I'm really amazed at how quickly he was vilified for believing rumors that were, well, to be honest half-true.

Did he react like a baby, absolutely. But c'mon, the Jet fans on here are acting like he is Judas. Once again, it's INSANE the hate Jamal gets from his own fan base.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree about chance to land an all pro etc. We disagree on his value is all. 

yep but there are so many fans saying adams should have been launched for the first round pick.  this is just silly thinking unless there's a complete evaluation.  i know most of it is hyperbole and it's too simple to say launch this guy or that guy.  i think more in terms of like the guy is in the nfl for a reason.  even trumaine is a bona fide nfl player although he is being paid way too much for what he has shown on the field.

as for adams, we'll see how things develop in the off season.  a few wins will change his attitude quite a bit.

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The most likely scenario would be the Cowboys are the ones leaking the information about Martin and Smith.

Agreed. Dallas keeps stirring the pot creating more turmoil so they get a better deal. Hopefully JD is smarter than that (and it looks like he may be) so they can move on. If it were me I would trade his azz to the team with the worst record making the best offer. Maybe Cleveland will lose their minds and make an offer. I would love to send this prick to that dysfunctional Circus. Man that would make my day.

Just now, JetFaninMI said:

Agreed. Dallas keeps stirring the pot creating more turmoil so they get a better deal. Hopefully JD is smarter than that (and it looks like he may be) so they can move on. If it were me I would trade his azz to the team with the worst record making the best offer. Maybe Cleveland will lose their minds and make an offer. I would love to send this prick to that dysfunctional Circus. Man that would make my day.

Jamal Adams for OBJ even trade would you do it. 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. Douglas *received* calls and asked for the moon.

2. Cowboys respond with minimal lol-worthy offer of low-first pick and a backup CB

3. Adams spins this to blame Douglas

4. Adams is a ponce 

This reinforces my belief that Adams and his agent tried to pull a Brown and engineer a trade. That little two-faced sniveling, cozening, rat-bastid excuse for a man. I saw through this prick from the beginning as some others did. Had to deal with multiple arguments and nonsense over this self promoting fake ass player. Do I feel vindication? No. I wanted to be wrong but all the signs were there. So I say trade this prick to the highest bidder at the earliest possible moment. NOT THE COWBOYS.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

yep but there are so many fans saying adams should have been launched for the first round pick.  this is just silly thinking unless there's a complete evaluation.  i know most of it is hyperbole and it's too simple to say launch this guy or that guy.  i think more in terms of like the guy is in the nfl for a reason.  even trumaine is a bona fide nfl player although he is being paid way too much for what he has shown on the field.

as for adams, we'll see how things develop in the off season.  a few wins will change his attitude quite a bit.

Again, I don’t think it’s silly thinking at all. We have glaring holes at more important positions and need to make up for lost time. It’s a shift of assets is all and a 1st round pick, even late, is good value for Adams. Hopefully we can get more and there are plenty of dumb GMs so I’d like to be pleasantly surprised with more than a 1st.