darnold = major bust (as of Nov 4, 2019)

hughes @ the athletic

"

His field awareness is nonexistent. His footwork is atrocious. The turnovers are back. The big plays are gone.

It’s the biggest red flag in this hellish season.

The thing that gets me with Darnold — and we’ll get into the specifics with a few sourced interviews for a story this week — is that he feels it’s OK to do things that defy logic. Against the Patriots and Jaguars, he routinely threw without setting his feet, which led to errant attempts and turnovers. There was a play against the Dolphins in the red zone when, while being brought down by a defender, he threw up a limp pass into triple coverage that was intercepted — another obvious no-no. "

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

15 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

Well maybe Gase gets fired the Jets will have the #1 pick overall and they pull a Kyler Murray move in taking Tua and trade Darnold for a second round pick then use the remaining picks to rebuild the OL. I do blame Gase and the previous staff for ruining him.

i'd consider trading backfoot baby sam. his play has been really crap.

i wouldnt touch tua. i sense a bust in him. just my vibe.

• Thumb Down 7

This is a distinct possibility.

Perhaps it's because he is young. But I would have thought he would have realized this coach is ass and he has no legitimate sh*t to compete this year and started to heave the ball out of bounds to preserve his health.

QBs are supposed to be ... You know ... Smart and stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Ghost said:

He’s 22, playing under the worst coach in the NFL, playing in the least creative offense in the league, and playing behind the worst offensive line in the league. Am I as confident as I was in Darnold before? Probably not. But I really do still believe in him. 

he's young and he's terrible.

its there...   he'll turn it over and kill the game. 

how come no one is killing crowder for not coming back to the ball? whats the excuse for that abortion of a qb play on 2nd down in the redzone? thats a retard play. not quite geno behind the back, but close.

• Thumb Down 1

Until we have a coach who’s good enough to make Darnold elite it will always be the coaches fault, and if that coach should arrive Darnold will then be elite, so obviously not a bust.

But seriously, if you watch this guy and see someone who’s anything but a good athlete with no understanding of the mechanics and mental aspect of the position, you’re deluding yourself.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

But seriously, if you watch this guy and see someone who’s anything but a good athlete with no understanding of the mechanics and mental aspect of the position, you’re deluding yourself.

swhat am saying, and we gave up a ton for this.....

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

it's that simple.

Agreed. He is awful. Sammy is not a special player at all. He’s not the answer. Gase and Douglass didn’t pick this scrub and they shouldn’t be responsible for his ineptitude.  The jets will move on in 2020. Gase will draft his own guy.  

Darnold is an epic bust.  

• Thumb Down 8
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Darnold hasn't given the Jets reason to stop chasing the franchise quarterback. Full stop. That's all there is. The half of this fanbase that wants to smell his nuts and the half that wants to cut them off are equally to blame for the fact that the team is still gonna be sh*t this time next year.

fwiw, sam seems like a nice young lad. he's just a bad qb. he should go sell pontiacs.

• Thumb Down 2

4 minutes ago, J-Diddy said:

Agreed. He is awful. Sammy is not a special player at all. He’s not the answer. Gase and Douglass didn’t pick this scrub and they shouldn’t be responsible for his ineptitude.  The jets will move on in 2020. Gase will draft his own guy.  

Darnold is an epic bust.  

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

He’s been bad the last few weeks, but he has also had stretches where he has been excellent, so we know the talent is there. He is 22 years old and playing behind a historically bad offensive line. Finally, Joe Douglas (who definitely isn’t going anywhere anytime soon) also said he thinks Darnold is going to be a franchise QB. So aside from the fact that I don’t think Darnold is a bust he isn’t going anywhere anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ibid, your honor.

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

He’s been bad the last few weeks, but he has also had stretches where he has been excellent, so we know the talent is there. He is 22 years old and playing behind a historically bad offensive line. Finally, Joe Douglas (who definitely isn’t going anywhere anytime soon) also said he thinks Darnold is going to be a franchise QB. So aside from the fact that I don’t think Darnold is a bust he isn’t going anywhere anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my prediction is a vinny t career. mostly sh*t with a couple nice years thrown in.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

it's that simple.

Steve Young was a bust playing in Tampa bay too( bad offense line) , than gets traded to the 49ers( very good offense line ) and suddenly is the franchise Qb everyone thought he was.

The Jets have to fix that offense line before any Qb can be successful.     No Qb likes to get hit - even franchise QBs.  A young  Qb gets hit enough times early in his career , and that  can ruin him forever.( can develop a lot of bad habits( throwing off the back foot) and speeding up the clock in his head( imagine pressure that might not be there.

Jets want to trade Darnold,  call the Raiders .  Gruden will be gladly willing to trade one of his first for Darnold.     The Raiders have the time ( can be backup to Carr) and the offense line To rehabilitate Sam Darnold.

You have a chance to rebuild a franchise qb confidence , and that opens up a chance to recoup so much more than they gave up to acquire him.   Or if  he never develops , than the Raiders lost that first , and the Jets have another  piece to rebuild their offense.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, maury77 said:

So who do you want to roll with next year? Joe Burrow (Cajun Mark Sanchez) or Tua (Samoan Matt Leinart)?

i never do the pretend gm thing. i tned to go with what my eyes tell me. i do have a bad vibe about tua. i really had no clue about sam one way or the other pre-draft. i liked watson. i didnt think baker was much. i didnt know who mahomes was.

i liked lamar jackson too. dont know burrow.

• Thumb Down 1

50 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

what qb are you buttboys watching? you have nothing to say but neg rep, cos you are speechless that his footwork is so bad. throws up that INT in the redzone??  thats bush league.

he's playing terribly right now.  doesn't mean he's a major bust.  he's played 18 games in his entire career and is 22.  

• Upvote 2

I have now concluded that Gase is inept and needs to go.  He is not developing or protecting Darnold.  I don’t think Darnold respects what he has to say, and he is developing bad habits out of fear of getting injured. 

I think the best path for the Jets is to get Darnold a better coach and build an OL, Wr and defense to support him, in that order   This is not a fool proof plan, but if it does not work the Jets basically do a Vikings and sign a Cousins to play with a good team and trade Darnold and let him walk   We have seen enough good with Darnold not to give up on him, but he needs a new coach.

If a Burrow is sitting there, JD likes him better and the Jets can recover lots of picks from trading Darnold, I would not scream if that happened.  A Rosen like trade would not be enough   Rosen never was as good as Darnold was when he was not bad  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

what qb are you buttboys watching? you have nothing to say but neg rep, cos you are speechless that his footwork is so bad. throws up that INT in the redzone??  thats bush league.

Of course I see what you're seeing too, but it's early in his career man. Like really early. One thing I can say is that as soon as I watched that One Jets drive episode of Gase breaking down Darnold's "amazing" ability to make things happen with his body out of position I got worried for Sam. Gase seemed more like a fanboy than someone who was going to get in there and correct Sam's natural tendencies to throw off if his back foot. 

I think the best course is to build a massive and dominant OL mixed with stud WR's that can fight for the ball. (robbie is a puss) around Sam for the next two years. If it turns out he blows consistently then we have the infrastructure in place for the next guy. That's how it should be done. DOn't throw in the towel before he has what needs. The next guy will suck too with his OL acting like  sieve. 

• Upvote 3