Game Observations (WSH)

KRL

14 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'm starting to be concerned that LeVeon Bell and this run scheme don't fit.
Bilal Powell in his few reps (7 rushes / 42 yards) was much more explosive through
the holes being opened.  While Bell "eeked" his way to 59 yards on 18 rushes.
Gase has to do a better job in utilizing Bell or bring in a run game coordinator.
Because right now he's being wasted

- I'm also concerned about Robby Anderson's role in the offense.  Yes, he had a 
TD but that was his only catch of the day and it was for 6 yards.  I'm starting
to wonder if he's going to be re-signed

I think you are "dead on" with your assessment of both LeVeon Bell and Robby Anderson.  I would love to trade Bell for draft capital, since I believe that a high draft pick is more meaningful to the Jets than Bell is on the field.  I would absolutely not resign Robby Anderson.  We need to replace him with someone who we can throw to all the time.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Y3k said:

If the only issue we have with a 22 yo QB making his 18th start is not always throwing the ball away... we have our guy. 

I don't know...I think he has the physical skills. But stupid turnovers are actually destructive.

Most NFL games are lost, not won.

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I don't know...I think he has the physical skills. But stupid turnovers are actually destructive.

Most NFL games are lost, not won.

It’s a lot easier to coach someone to NOT do something that it is to do something which his physical ability doesn’t allow them to do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He's got some swag about him. 

Out of all of the accolades I listed above I think instincts is the biggest one. He's already sniffing out plays and it was only his second game.

And swag

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Bell isn't churning out the yards right now but when its 3rd and 2 and we give him the ball he gets the 1st down. I remember having tons of 3rd and short under Bowles and every time we ran we didn't get the 1st down. Time and time again under Bowles 3rd and short our runs were stuffed. Not with Bell. Also when Bell pass blocks he gets the job done - no questions asked.  Bell has 500 yards rushing and about 300 receiving - not great but steady. He will get better as our line get better. Im fine with Bell.

• Upvote 3

Not to completely exonerate Anderson, but he has drawn a number of penalties this season, including a 33-yard PI call against the Giants last week.  He also had a big catch taken back today because of an offensive penalty, holding I think.  I think he's better than his stats show, but it is odd that the Jets can't seem to get him the ball a little more often.  I don't recall if he is getting doubled with a Safety much.  Anyone notice it?

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Some people just like to complain.  First Adams and now Anderson.  Geez these guys are respectively very good and good yet there is or has been a chorus of boos and naysayers.  Sometimes fans make me sick.    

Most teams consider Robby the only real threat the Jets have.  The Jets have been trailing in many/most games and I think he's the guy they're taking away along with playing Bell straight up because our Line is so bad.  The guys who are benefiting on Crowder, Griffin, etc. who are eating all day on underneath routes, short and intermediate stuff.

• Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Y3k said:

I also I totally disagree with your take on the punter. The guy is terrible, multiple times he had punted against a short field and was woefully inaccurate trying to pin them back. Totally unimpressed.

Edwards has been one of the most consistent players on the team all season and Is one of the better punters in the league. He is in no way shape or form terrible, in fact he is quite solid. He’s pinned teams inside their 20 yard line 20 times this season. Your assessment is objectively off base. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Edwards has been one of the most consistent players on the team all season and Is one of the better punters in the league. He is in no way shape or form terrible, in fact he is quite solid. He’s pinned teams inside their 20 yard line 20 times this season. Your assessment is objectively off base. 

Disagree, not sure why the stat is “pinning” inside the 20. A pin is inside the 10, especially is you are punting from mid field. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, Y3k said:

Disagree, not sure why the stat is “pinning” inside the 20. A pin is inside the 10, especially is you are punting from mid field. 

Whatever the wording you want use is, Edwards has 20 punts inside the 20. Only four or five other punters in the league have more. Either way, you are incorrect in your assessment of the guy being “terrible.” There’s nothing to disagree with.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, KRL said:

- Awful INT by Sam Darnold as he went through at least 3 progressions on the play
then still forced a throw into traffic.  It could've been a turning point in the game
but the defense held WSH to a FG.  I know its strange to start the breakdown of
Darnold's day with his only mistake (19/30, 293 yards, 4 TD) but the second half
of the season is all about his progression.  And proper decision making is critical
in taking the next step as a QB.  Other than that he displayed his "off script" 
ability and accuracy on the run as there were more rollouts in the game plan

I love your camp reports and weekly game reports but focusing solely on the interception is one of only a few times I have disagreed with your take. It is just so myopic. When did the only defining characteristic of a QB become interceptions?

9 hours ago, RobR said:

He's been beyond impressive. He's athletic, has instincts, and plays a tough game with a nice rangy frame. Hopefully he turns into a TJ Watt type player who both had similar injuries in college. 

Maybe Mac can give us one decent parting gift.

Austin has been tremendously impressive. He covers well and hits hard. His technique is extremely good, as is his on-field awareness.

For a 6th round pick playing in his 2nd game after nearly 2 years off, his play his been incredible.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Another solid post by KRL  Always appreciate the posts. .  But I would also include the solid not spectacular play of Beachum and Harrison.   SAMs play has improved (not only because of weaker opponents) but because the O line play has improved, particularly at LT and C.  Sam didn't stand a chance with the rookie at LT and Kalil playing the way he was.  

Would also like to say that Crowder is much better than I anticipated.   He and Sam seem to have a great connection and this seems like one of the few positions I feel very very comfortable about going into next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I love your camp reports and weekly game reports but focusing solely on the interception is one of only a few times I have disagreed with your take. It is just so myopic. When did the only defining characteristic of a QB become interceptions?

Fair points and in my post I said it was strange to focus on
Darnold's INT to start my breakdown on him.  But the second
half of the season is all about his progression and I'm
training myself to be more critical of all aspects of Darnold's
play and not just his stats.  Stats can sometimes mask bad
traits which will come back to bite you when games are important

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, the Claw said:

Whatever the wording you want use is, Edwards has 20 punts inside the 20. Only four or five other punters in the league have more. Either way, you are incorrect in your assessment of the guy being “terrible.” There’s nothing to disagree with.

Nothing impressive about a punt inside the 20 if you’re punting from mid field and you leave it on the 18. I don’t care what he’s done this season- he sucked yeateray 

42 minutes ago, KRL said:

Fair points and in my post I said it was strange to focus on
Darnold's INT to start my breakdown on him.  But the second
half of the season is all about his progression and I'm
training myself to be more critical of all aspects of Darnold's
play and not just his stats.  Stats can sometimes mask bad
traits which will come back to bite you when games are important

Agree, decision making under pressure is usually the difference between a playoff team and a championship team

Another good point was to finally see the rollout plays that should have been part of this offense since week one - seems like a strength for Sam and a great way to help a struggling OL

Great stuff KRL!  very insightful. As a huge fan of Bilal Powell, I agree with your bell assessment. Powell was the better runningback yesterday.

A lot of Robbie Anderson's routes take more time to develop and our Oline hasn't been affording Sam the luxury of hitting a deep route. I'm fine either way if He stays or goes

Shout out to our punt & kick coverage as well 

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

I said it in the Robby Anderson thread and i won’t change my opinion on it - he stinks.  He’s a 1 trick pony and JD should have taken whatever he was offered for Anderson. He won’t be back next year.

He is the Jets only deep threat. Just having him on the field creates space for other WRs and requires the D to decide on whether to provide FS deep help to the CB covering him.