NFL 100- Ed Reed (Jets/Rex story)

Matt39

21 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

So the NFL 100 thing hasn't been all that great because they chickened out on ranking 1-10. But they just did Ed Reed, and Belichick basically called him the best player of all time. Have never seen Belichick so enamored with a player...anyways...

The Jets, Rex story was interesting. The first Jets practice Reed was at was a walk through (Reed was done at the point keep in mind)- all of the Jets players were dicking around, wearing headphones...just not taking things seriously....and he went ballistic . Cursed out Rex, the players etc and walked off the practice field. Everything in Collision Low Crossers seemed pretty accurate.

Love Ed Reed. Recommend watching that segment if youre a football fan. The Peyton Manning interception they highlighted was pretty awesome.

Reed was awesome.

And people actually want Rex back.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The Jets, Rex story was interesting. The first Jets practice Reed was at was a walk through (Reed was done at the point keep in mind)- all of the Jets players were dicking around, wearing headphones...just not taking things seriously....and he went ballistic . Cursed out Rex, the players etc and walked off the practice field. Everything in Collision Low Crossers seemed pretty accurate.

@JiF

16 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

i didnt watch any of this show but what do you mean "they chickened out on ranking 1-10"  ?

The finalists were the finalists. No individual 1-10. The DB segment is still on. Loving the fact that Revis isn’t making it and @T0mShane owes me a bottle of Louie the 13th.

Exactly.... the players totally dicked around under REX. the talent on our 2009 to 2011 teams was SB talent and we were so unprepared on so many occasions.   

Yes we all enjoyed the 2 year run but forget about the 3 game collapse in 2011 to end 8 and 8.  REX is what his record states.... below average. I bet guys like Mangold, Brick,  Harris see it very clearly now with their ringless fingers. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Exactly.... the players totally dicked around under REX. the talent on our 2009 to 2011 teams was SB talent and we were so unprepared on so many occasions.   

Yes we all enjoyed the 2 year run but forget about the 3 game collapse in 2011 to end 8 and 8.  REX is what his record states.... below average. I bet guys like Mangold, Brick,  Harris see it very clearly now with their ringless fingers. 

But they were NOT unprepared because they weren't ready to play. On those occasions, REX let the players down by not doing his job. 8-8 in 2011 is because Tanny raped the team of all the talent they had. And lastly, not a single player that played for Rex has ever had a poor word for him. You do a terrible job of trying to change the narrative to suit your very weird beliefs.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

But they were NOT unprepared because they weren't ready to play. On those occasions, REX let the players down by not doing his job. 8-8 in 2011 is because Tanny raped the team of all the talent they had. And lastly, not a single player that played for Rex has ever had a poor word for him. You do a terrible job of trying to change the narrative to suit your very weird beliefs.

Yet the facts are with me..... he has underachieved in every year other than 2009 and 2010.   yes players liked him....   they are young.   When they get to 40 and up they will wish they were better prepared.  he went to Buffalo and made them worse.  Tanny raping the team is absolutely valid but REX is  all over Coples,  Kyle Wilson etc.  REXs record speaks for itself , as does the fact Baltimore has done VERY well by NOT hiring REX and recognizing REX is a blowhard who can barely put a coherent sentence together, and all that stuff, you know, like what he said. ?

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Their fingers were always going to be ringless. In 2009-2011, we had a very good OL and we had Revis. Anyone else worth mentioning on this SB level talent? We did have Sanchez and Shonn Greene. Not sure how many SBs they would’ve won if it wasn’t for Rex but my guess is ZERO. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Yet the facts are with me..... he has underachieved in every year other than 2009 and 2010.   yes players liked him....   they are young.   When they get to 40 and up they will wish they were better prepared.  he went to Buffalo and made them worse.  Tanny raping the team is absolutely valid but REX is  all over Coples,  Kyle Wilson etc.  REXs record speaks for itself , as does the fact Baltimore has done VERY well by NOT recognizing REX is a blowhard who can barely put a coherent sentence together, and all that stuff, you know, like what he said. ?

And things..

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Yet the facts are with me..... he has underachieved in every year other than 2009 and 2010.   yes players liked him....   they are young.   When they get to 40 and up they will wish they were better prepared.  he went to Buffalo and made them worse.  Tanny raping the team is absolutely valid but REX is  all over Coples,  Kyle Wilson etc.  REXs record speaks for itself , as does the fact Baltimore has done VERY well by NOT hiring REX and recognizing REX is a blowhard who can barely put a coherent sentence together, and all that stuff, you know, like what he said. ?

Are you delusional? The facts are with you????????

He's under achieved my rear end. He had nothing to work with from 2011 on and yet still managed to go 8-8 in 2013 which is a Herculean effort given how HORRIBLE this roster has been EVERY year since 2011. I agree with you that looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane was Rex. I never said he was perfect. But Kyle Wilson? My ass. 

But once again you're trying to mix the GM duties with the HC duties as a means to try and prove your point. But I'm here to tell you still have no idea what you're talking about. Meanwhile, the fact remains, REX RYAN is a better HC than both of those ass clowns Gase and Toilet put together. That's a FACT and you need only look at in game adjustments for that point to be proven.

Rex Ryan is a very good HC in a structured, more rigid environment. Give me Joe Douglas hiring Rex Ryan and telling Rex, I run the draft. You don't. Your job is to coach the team. I WILL give you your say, but I ultimately make the decision on who gets drafted, acquisitions, etc. A COMPETENT GM that consistently brings talent in the door and the results will prove Rex Ryan is one of the best HC's in the business today.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

So the NFL 100 thing hasn't been all that great because they chickened out on ranking 1-10. But they just did Ed Reed, and Belichick basically called him the best player of all time. Have never seen Belichick so enamored with a player...anyways...

Love Ed Reed. Recommend watching that segment if youre a football fan. The Peyton Manning interception they highlighted was pretty awesome.

Belichick said Ed Reed is the best player of all time?!  That would mean he'd have to be a better defensive player than LT.  I really find that hard to believe that he believes that.  

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

This brought back memories of an interview Francesa did years ago with Ozzie Newsome. Mike asked why he never hired Rex as HC, and Ozzie basically said that Rex was a clown show, and it was always something with him. Said he just couldn't have a guy like that be the face of the organization. Obviously, the right call.

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The finalists were the finalists. No individual 1-10. The DB segment is still on. Loving the fact that Revis isn’t making it and @T0mShane owes me a bottle of Louie the 13th.

Revis wasn't voted a top 10 DB of all time?  Maybe his prime was too short?  I don't know how else to explain that.  I know he wasn't a great tackler but he could basically eliminate any WR in the NFL (other than Stevie Johnson).

41 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Revis wasn't voted a top 10 DB of all time?  Maybe his prime was too short?  I don't know how else to explain that.  I know he wasn't a great tackler but he could basically eliminate any WR in the NFL (other than Stevie Johnson).

The lists have been a bit fugazi BC they’re trying to shoehorn the old timers into it. But Revis wasn’t going to crack it over Deion or Woodson.

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@JiF

Brilliant move by Rex to bring Reed in and help provide some on field leadership by setting the example they were lacking.  

Too lazy to find it but Ed Reed loves Rex and gives him a lot of credit for the success he had in Balt together.  Doesn’t surprise me he did Rex this favor. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wasnt a great tackler?? Did you only watch him after his concussion?

5 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Are you delusional? The facts are with you????????

He's under achieved my rear end. He had nothing to work with from 2011 on and yet still managed to go 8-8 in 2013 which is a Herculean effort given how HORRIBLE this roster has been EVERY year since 2011. I agree with you that looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane was Rex. I never said he was perfect. But Kyle Wilson? My ass. 

But once again you're trying to mix the GM duties with the HC duties as a means to try and prove your point. But I'm here to tell you still have no idea what you're talking about. Meanwhile, the fact remains, REX RYAN is a better HC than both of those ass clowns Gase and Toilet put together. That's a FACT and you need only look at in game adjustments for that point to be proven.

Rex Ryan is a very good HC in a structured, more rigid environment. Give me Joe Douglas hiring Rex Ryan and telling Rex, I run the draft. You don't. Your job is to coach the team. I WILL give you your say, but I ultimately make the decision on who gets drafted, acquisitions, etc. A COMPETENT GM that consistently brings talent in the door and the results will prove Rex Ryan is one of the best HC's in the business today.

Rex Ryan is the best coach we have had since Parcells.. no question. That's not in question.  There is a reason he failed in Buffalo and his own Ravens passed him over for a defensive backs coach and they went on to be one of the best teams in the NFL for 10 years and they still have that coach. His record is below 500 and other than a good run in 2009 and 2010 he never was a real threat in the NFL.  But OK.  You want to defend mediocrity?  I won't stand in the way. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barton said:

That was the odd thing about Revis. Early in his career he was one of the best fundamental DB’s id ever seen. Unbelievable open field tackler. He just flat out quit once he got paid by the Jets for the second time. You look at the other HOF DB’s and their careers were just longer and better...and a lot of them played specials.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I bet guys like Mangold, Brick,  Harris see it very clearly now with their ringless fingers. 

yu mean Harris who Crumpler ran down when he shoulda had an easy TD?

Mangold and BRick who got couldnt open a hole form the Pittsburgh 1 yd line?

This isnt a Rex defense...   rather people needa see that team for what it was...  overachieving with a weak QB.

17 hours ago, Matt39 said:

the jets need a few players like that.  they seem to have a problem with on field leadership.  they need guys who never say die or giveup.

7 minutes ago, Barton said:

Was he a great tackler?  Am I'm not giving him enough credit? 

From what I remember, he was a "smart tackler" (he took good angles and got the runner down) but I don't remember him as wanting to be overly physical or "bruising".  Obviously that wasn't his game so I'm not saying he should have tried to play that way.  

On 12/6/2019 at 9:22 PM, southparkcpa said:

So what has been the excuse since Rex?