The Curious Case of Chuma Edoga

I agree that he showed some potential ability at RT and is worth keeping around and giving another chance to stick, at the very least for depth and perhaps even compete for the spot, depending on what the Jets do in the offseason at the position.  With that said, this is also why I am adamantly in favor of the Jets bringing back Beachum because, while they should certainly still strive to upgrade the position, it is clear no one else on this team is within miles of being even slightly trustworthy at LT.

While the OL needs huge help, when it comes to the guys likely to return to the roster (i.e., not Kalil or Osemele), none of them should be handed anything, but it's not the worst idea to allow for some competition, or at the very least end up with guys who were poor starters becoming backups with starting experience, which isn't exactly the worst situation either.  Worst case scenario, any of these guys can be cut during camp if it comes to that, as none come with a particularly heavy price tag.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think he should be completely discounted but I also don’t think he can be counted on for anything either. Expect to see some serious additions on the OL and some halfhearted additions on the OL.

I think two firm starters are brought in, two halfhearted starters, and two or three guys get drafted. Add that to the returning Edoga, McDermott, Harrison and you’ve got your offensive line. Competition at three spots and decent depth.

I think this is particularly likely since some of the tackles in this class are being projected all over the place.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 2/7/2020 at 2:15 PM, Bleedin Green said:

I agree that he showed some potential ability at RT and is worth keeping around and giving another chance to stick, at the very least for depth and perhaps even compete for the spot, depending on what the Jets do in the offseason at the position.  With that said, this is also why I am adamantly in favor of the Jets bringing back Beachum because, while they should certainly still strive to upgrade the position, it is clear no one else on this team is within miles of being even slightly trustworthy at LT.

While the OL needs huge help, when it comes to the guys likely to return to the roster (i.e., not Kalil or Osemele), none of them should be handed anything, but it's not the worst idea to allow for some competition, or at the very least end up with guys who were poor starters becoming backups with starting experience, which isn't exactly the worst situation either.  Worst case scenario, any of these guys can be cut during camp if it comes to that, as none come with a particularly heavy price tag.

Of course they're going to bring him back. I wouldn't hand him a starting job, though.

Say they do keep Winters for his final season (or at least hold onto him until the draft is over) -- between FA and the draft they need to bring in or bring back a minimum 4 offensive linemen. Even Harrison, while he was an upgrade over Kalil, is more of a backup emergency plan, not a plan plan.  

If Edoga ends up taking a huge leap forward once they start camp? Even better. Then we get to choose the 5 best not the 5 least-horrible.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I agree with your post in general.  Though in what way was he considered a project coming out of USC?  What parts of his game did he need to develop?

I'm not probably the best person to dissect things at"scouting report" type level, but in my opinion his two biggest areas that made him a project are his functional strength and just very inconsistent/poor technique, especially with his hands.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Nice topic.  IMHO, I think if he has a future as a starter, it will be on the inside.  I don't think he will perform well on the outside even as a back-up.  

I hope the coaches try him on the inside... 

I don't think he's strong enough to go inside.  Pretty decent feet as a pass blocker.  If he can become a starter I expect it to be as a RT. 

The 1st thing is that by the sounds of it the player has physical ability to play.   I for sure would not write him off but then again he is a mac pick.

I think you learn very quickly about players in year two, no longer rookies, they know what they need to do and what is expected of them in year two, another full off season working out.

If he comes out in off season workouts and in camp and he is getting rav reviews about his improvement then he has a future.  If we hear little about him or he still looks lost he is an instant suspect.

Over the last 5 or more years the jets have had a lot of olineman that they 'loved' and hardly any of these guys actually ended being starters.  Guys like QVale, Braden etc.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The 1st thing is that by the sounds of it the player has physical ability to play.   I for sure would not write him off but then again he is a mac pick.

I think you learn very quickly about players in year two, no longer rookies, they know what they need to do and what is expected of them in year two, another full off season working out.

If he comes out in off season workouts and in camp and he is getting rav reviews about his improvement then he has a future.  If we hear little about him or he still looks lost he is an instant suspect.

Over the last 5 or more years the jets have had a lot of olineman that they 'loved' and hardly any of these guys actually ended being starters.  Guys like QVale, Braden etc.

To be fair, those guys were UFA's...this guy is a 3rd rd pick.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

Good news is, he's 22 years old and players get better with time and experience and it helps when there is actually someone worth a sh*t playing next to you. 

Chuma Edoga is 22 years old and had the athletic gifts to make Gase and co. gift him 8 games to start as a clearly unprepared rookie 

maybe he's a "big guard" in Gase's system, but he's probably going to start somewhere along this line next season 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Chuma Edoga is 22 years old and had the athletic gifts to make Gase and co. gift him 8 games to start as a clearly unprepared rookie 

maybe he's a "big guard" in Gase's system, but he's probably going to start somewhere along this line next season 

Depends on his commitment level. 

c'mon.  the guy is a rookie and everyone wants him to come out and be damien woody.  i don't see how the jets can afford to be picky with who they have on the oline at the moment.  they'll be signing and drafting a couple of guys in the next couple of months.  i doubt if all 5 starters get replaced.  probably 3.  and it's not like shell has really lit it up either.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

To be fair, those guys were UFA's...this guy is a 3rd rd pick.

The point is after one full year and an off season you can tell if a guy legit has promise or not, if Edoga is 'a guy we like and has potential' and is not a starter then he falls into the jag category with Qvale and braden and the like.

The thing that often gets overlooked about OL play is the importance of chemistry and continuity. I don’t think any unit, other than maybe secondary, is as reliant on a cohesive familiarity and synchronicity as the OL. 

In my opinion our line was utterly shambolic throughout the first 10 games as much due to the constant turnover of bodies, they simply never had a chance to gel. For sure it wasn’t overloaded with talent but it seemed to my admittedly untrained eye that towards the end of season, when the starring line-up stabilised a bit, we actually had much better lind play and far less penalties.

all of this means it’s even tougher for a rookie to come in a thrive and equally impossible to make a fair judgement on Edoga because he did play through the worst of the turmoil and didn’t make it into the mare stable final quarter of the season.

if we can get a unit that plays together regularly that’s that can make a big difference 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Good analysis!!!  People will just trash Edoga's whole year but he was very promising at
RT.  Go look at the DAL game and how he shut down Demarcus Lawrence.  When he switched
to LT he looked like a totally different (and poor) player.  He needs to get healthy
and continue to develop, if he's only going to be a RT I'm fine with that.  But he needs
to earn it, Douglas/Gase shouldn't just hand him the job like they did with Kalil

i would rather have him at RT than shell but truth they should sign a RT in FA and then draft a LT and be done with this crap.  how nice was it for 10 yrs to have brick on the left side and not have to worry?  oh how we all took that for granted.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i would rather have him at RT than shell but truth they should sign a RT in FA and then draft a LT and be done with this crap.  how nice was it for 10 yrs to have brick on the left side and not have to worry?  oh how we all took that for granted.  

I know everybody saw them as plug and play, but Ferguson and Mangold were on their rookie deals through 2009.  In 2010 they both signed very large extensions.  Perhaps you guys will remember that we couldn't keep much of our talent - we had to cut Faneca straight off, couldn't afford Holmes and Edwards, had to dump Jones and replace him with Tomlinson and then not replace Tomlinson, couldn't afford to pay a decent replacement for Woody.  Those big contracts contributed to that problem, even though around here everybody just puts the blame 100% on Revis with laser focus.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I know everybody saw them as plug and play, but Ferguson and Mangold were on their rookie deals through 2009.  In 2010 they both signed very large extensions.  Perhaps you guys will remember that we couldn't keep much of our talent - we had to cut Faneca straight off, couldn't afford Holmes and Edwards, had to dump Jones and replace him with Tomlinson and then not replace Tomlinson, couldn't afford to pay a decent replacement for Woody.  Those big contracts contributed to that problem, even though around here everybody just puts the blame 100% on Revis with laser focus.

Meshawn's fault

also Mevi$louch

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I’d say it was more about paying guys like Bart Scott, Cromartie, Holmes, Revis, and then the make-up deal to Sanchez that boned the cap. Rex wanted his guys to get paid like frontliners. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

52 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Hopefully he puts in the time in the offseason and comes back much stronger.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The point is after one full year and an off season you can tell if a guy legit has promise or not, if Edoga is 'a guy we like and has potential' and is not a starter then he falls into the jag category with Qvale and braden and the like.

My point is that they may look at this guy as having far more potential because he was a high pick, and thus when they say they “like him” they really mean it. Like he can actually start and help the team.

34 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

poor drafting is why, more than anything else.  tanny, idzik and mccagnan never drafted anyone who could help out on offense and the whole thing imploded.

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d say it was more about paying guys like Bart Scott, Cromartie, Holmes, Revis, and then the make-up deal to Sanchez that boned the cap. Rex wanted his guys to get paid like frontliners. 

Eh.  Rex paid Bart Scott.  I don't believe that he was ever that enamored with Cromartie.  The Sanchez deal was a horror on many levels, but the wheels were already off at that point.  I don't begrudge Ferguson or Mangold the money, but they got paid.  At the team's peak, they weren't getting paid and that money was filling the rest of the roster out with guys capable of carrying Sanchez to back-to-back AFC championship games.  I'm not sure Ferguson and Mangold ever were ever able to pick up the slack for lesser guys.

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

poor drafting is why, more than anything else.  tanny, idzik and mccagnan never drafted anyone who could help out on offense and the whole thing imploded.

But Tanny did pick those guys.  Tanny got Brick and Mangold.  He picked Washington, Keller, Kerley, Powell, and Slauson.  Even guys considered busts were in the league forever - Ducasse and Clemens probably are still kicking around to this day.  The problem is that he could draft guys to replace Cedric Houston, Adrian Jones, Adrien Clarke, and Chris Baker, but when he had to draft guys to replace guys like Woody, Coles, Cotchery and Thomas Jones it wasn't so easy.  The guys he was getting might have been solid role players, but they weren't going to build a team around them.   

52 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

A bad player picked by the previous regime, won't last long.

Somewhere Brian Winters is kicking back on his couch counting stacks.

• Upvote 1