Jump to content
mtwarlock31

Avery Williamson's Future w/ Jets

Recommended Posts

From Rotoworld: https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/10633/avery-williamson

The Athletic's Connor Hughes wonders if Jets ILB Avery Williamson (knee) will be released once healthy.

Williamson is entering the final year of his three-year deal and missed all of last season with a torn ACL suffered in the preseason. Williamson carries an $8.5 million cap number, and the Jets can save $6.5 million of that by releasing him.  They just have to wait until he can pass a physical.  The Jets are loaded at inside linebacker, returning C.J. Mosley, Neville Hewitt, and James Burgess while adding Patrick Onwuasor. Williamson being cut seems like a no-brainer move.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Apr 8, 2020, 8:37 AM ET
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I was a big fan of Avery's play in 2018, would rather not roll the dice on his health in 2020 and use the $6.5 million towards upgrading at the tackle position for a year (i.e. Jason Peters). The first round of the draft can shake out so many ways and giving Joe Douglas the flexibility to move down or not be forced to pick an OT with his first pick would go a long way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would try and work out a trade first IF POSSIBLE.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avery was a lot of fun to watch ... Good story for the team.

I think he is a really good player but the depth at the position combined with his health risk and potential cap savings make it a logical cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trade or release.  Doesn't look like there's room for him here and we could use the extra cap $$$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s pretty much a foregone conclusion 

Between paying Mosley $17 million a year, re-signing both Hewitt and Burgess, bringing in the guy from the Ravens, Cashman returning, saving nearly $7 million by cutting Williamson...

All signs point to him being a casualty 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bring in Peters,Clowney or Logan Ryan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I would try and work out a trade first IF POSSIBLE.

I agree.  Just not sure it will be possible.  Someone would have to be willing to give up a pick, plus take on the $6.5MM salary, for a guy comig off a major knee injury.  Given the current environment, I am not sure what ability a team would have to examine him to get comfortable enough with his health to be willing to give up a pick and take on the salary.  If we can find a trade partner, I would think a conditional 2021 pick is the most likely return.  Which is still beter than letting him go for nothing.

Other option would be to let him come back, pay him his $6.5MM salary and let him play out his cotnract then leave in FA.  For a possible comp pick after the season.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Loaded is a relative term.  The Jets have a lot of ILB.  Williamson is considerably better than the 3 names listed in addition to Mosley.

 

He WAS considerably better. Big question mark coming off major knee injury at 28 years old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think Winters and Quincy Enunwa are sure fire cap casualties but I dont think they will dump Williamson yet.  He's a starter if healthy and a good one.  Might as well try to have a strong position group  at LB.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Depends on what the plan would be for the extra $6.5mm.

If it’s to sign two more back-up level players at $3mm each - as has been our GM’s MO to date - then keep him.

If you’re going to use that money to bring someone in that can have an impact on the game like Clowney or Peters then cut or trade.

 

39 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree.  Just not sure it will be possible.  Someone would have to be willing to give up a pick, plus take on the $6.5MM salary, for a guy comig off a major knee injury.  Given the current environment, I am not sure what ability a team would have to examine him to get comfortable enough with his health to be willing to give up a pick and take on the salary.  If we can find a trade partner, I would think a conditional 2021 pick is the most likely return.  Which is still beter than letting him go for nothing.

Other option would be to let him come back, pay him his $6.5MM salary and let him play out his cotnract then leave in FA.  For a possible comp pick after the season.

Here's the entire picture with these two posts..

If we can trade him for a better pick than we would likely get as a comp (guessing a 4th), then that's fine.  If we have a better way to use the cap room on players that matter, that's fine too.  But cutting him for the sake of saving salary cap without having a useful way to actually spend it makes absolutely no sense when he is probably the 2nd best ILB on the team, and honestly, are we all certain Mosley is a lock to play 16 games this year?

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His salary is 8.5 million. We save 6.5 if we cut him. No one is trading for him with that salary coming off an ACL. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mtwarlock31 said:

From Rotoworld: https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/10633/avery-williamson

The Athletic's Connor Hughes wonders if Jets ILB Avery Williamson (knee) will be released once healthy.

Williamson is entering the final year of his three-year deal and missed all of last season with a torn ACL suffered in the preseason. Williamson carries an $8.5 million cap number, and the Jets can save $6.5 million of that by releasing him.  They just have to wait until he can pass a physical.  The Jets are loaded at inside linebacker, returning C.J. Mosley, Neville Hewitt, and James Burgess while adding Patrick Onwuasor. Williamson being cut seems like a no-brainer move.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Apr 8, 2020, 8:37 AM ET
 

Don't forget Cashman and Burgess. Some of these guys like these 2 should play some on the outside since they could have ability there being not really large in size and are pretty good in coverage. Them along with the new guy Mr. O(Can't spell his name) from the Ravens where he played there at the end ILB, but was much better when he played Weak OLB. We need anybody who can rush the passer since it is probably a good bet we won't get someone from the draft he will be excellent at pass rushing right out of the gate.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, docdhc said:

His salary is 8.5 million. We save 6.5 if we cut him. No one is trading for him with that salary coming off an ACL. 

ACL's aren't really as much of a career risk as they were 20 years ago.  Just look at Adrian Peterson in 2011.  Tore his ACL in December.  Came back the next season and put up 2,000 yards and 12 TDs.  There are more and more of these stories.  I think if a team has cap room and a need at ILB, they would not have an issue with gambling $8.5MM on Williamson.  I don't have a problem keeping him for that same reason.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully playing behind Quinnen Williams and right alongside of C.J Mosley. 

Look @ what happened to Baltimore last year once facing Derrick Henry come postseason play. 30 rushing attempts. 195 rushing yards off an average of 6.5 yards per pop. 

That is not happening with two tackling machines within the middle of a Defense in C.J Mosley and Avery Williamson along with Jamal Adams roaming the entire defense. 

We were robbed of an opportunity to see a dynamic duo @ IMLB last year with Mosley/Williamson under Gregg Williams - which would have been just as great as Harris/Scott under Rex Ryan. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope we keep him. 

But that is based solely on the fact that he rode the subway dressed in full uniform and pads last year.

I like the dedication!

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no one needs that many ILBs or Right guards

both Williamson and Winters are gone, unless they take massive pay cuts. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

Think Winters and Quincy Enunwa are sure fire cap casualties but I dont think they will dump Williamson yet.  He's a starter if healthy and a good one.  Might as well try to have a strong position group  at LB.

Enunwa's salary is already guaranteed for 2020.  No benefit in cutting him (Thanks, Macc),

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mtwarlock31 said:

From Rotoworld: https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/10633/avery-williamson

The Athletic's Connor Hughes wonders if Jets ILB Avery Williamson (knee) will be released once healthy.

Williamson is entering the final year of his three-year deal and missed all of last season with a torn ACL suffered in the preseason. Williamson carries an $8.5 million cap number, and the Jets can save $6.5 million of that by releasing him.  They just have to wait until he can pass a physical.  The Jets are loaded at inside linebacker, returning C.J. Mosley, Neville Hewitt, and James Burgess while adding Patrick Onwuasor. Williamson being cut seems like a no-brainer move.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Apr 8, 2020, 8:37 AM ET
 

I'd keep him.   They don't really need the money, if he has a good year and leaves as a FA great, get a pic for him.

6.5 for a starting ILB isn't that much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I think it’s pretty much a foregone conclusion 

Between paying Mosley $17 million a year, re-signing both Hewitt and Burgess, bringing in the guy from the Ravens, Cashman returning, saving nearly $7 million by cutting Williamson...

All signs point to him being a casualty 

This is pretty much how I am viewing it. To me, it just comes down to the numbers and the Jets' recent actions. If they had intentions of keeping Williamson I think they would have let Burgess or Hewitt walk or not signed Peanut. Looking at the current cap space and the fact that they will need to sign rookies, UDFAs and probably a couple of vets that are going to shake loose once cuts start I think Winters or Williamson will need to get cut (maybe both?). It's always nice to have cap space for a potential trade or pricier FA signing, 

Remember the Jets have a lot of D linemen who are not getting cut in a 3-4 system, some of whom are considered 'edge' players and OLBs like Jenkins and Basham. You kind of have to count the edge and OLBs together when looking at the roster counts, it increases how many players the Jets will carry at the position and decreases how many they will most likely carry at ILB. I.E. we're not going to have a ton of backups at ILB when we have multiple OLBs and Edge players on top of our interior D-linemen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lith said:

Enunwa's salary is already guaranteed for 2020.  No benefit in cutting him (Thanks, Macc),

Believe there's a catch.  Once he's healthy they can cut him.  Thought it was only if he wasn't cleared by a doctor then it was guaranteed.  (I may be wrong.  Hey.  Either way he's toast.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, bitonti said:

no one needs that many ILBs or Right guards

both Williamson and Winters are gone, unless they take massive pay cuts. 

And GW just signed Peanut to play alongside Mosley. Both Winters and Avery are history. JD will try and trade them, if not, will cut them. As you noted,  He wouldn’t have signed all those OL and Peanut if he planned on keeping Winters and Avery. And, we have ample picks to add depth and future starters to both those positions at rookie deals. JD is cheap. He’s not going crazy signing anyone to big deals or wasting money on question marks. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tore his ACL in PRESEASON! 
My god, that surgery is like a boob lift nowadays. 
he’s a really good player, why do you think GW was training him late in a preseason game to call the defense? Hell, if we can keep him, why not? 
if not some team would definitely trade for him based on passing a physical. He was a top FA LB when we signed him. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, bitonti said:

no one needs that many ILBs or Right guards

both Williamson and Winters are gone, unless they take massive pay cuts. 

That is false. 

You can never enough depth at LB and/or O-Line. 

And if Joe Douglas were going to release both of Williamson and Winters as "cap causalities"? He would have released them both throughout the heart of first wave Free Agency; not once Free Agency is down to slim pickings...

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

if Joe Douglas were going to release both of Williamson and Winters as "cap causalities"? He would have released them both throughout the heart of first wave Free Agency; not once Free Agency is down to slim pickings...

 

It's against the CBA to release a player before he can pass a physical. It's possible they are just waiting for doctors to be able to look at these guys in real life. Maybe they come back in amazing shape somehow. But more likely... 

kill them peter dinklage GIF

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember losing both our starting ILBs last year and our defense becoming really bad at stopping the run. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

Believe there's a catch.  Once he's healthy they can cut him.  Thought it was only if he wasn't cleared by a doctor then it was guaranteed.  (I may be wrong.  Hey.  Either way he's toast.)

Accpording to Cimini, it was fully guaranteed as of 3/22:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Lith said:

Accpording to Cimini, it was fully guaranteed as of 3/22:

 

Man.  The way Quincy approaches contact, if he is allowed to step on the field again... he must REALLY love the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I remember losing both our starting ILBs last year and our defense becoming really bad at stopping the run. 

Exactly our run defense was awesome both Burgess and Hewitt stepped up tremendously and if both Mosley and Williamson return healthy they'll provide excellent LB depth no question those kids are really good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see no reason to cut Avery at this point actually. We do not need cap space. I love what Hewitt Burgess and Cashman did last year but Avery is better.

Owumasor was brought on as insurance/replacement for the Adams role as well.

His cap frees next year anyway and he could bring a compensatory pick

Plus our ILB dropped like flies last year.

We may cut him or trade him for something like a future 6th rounder but there is no real rush in my view until end of TC

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...