Does 6-10 get Gase fired?

6-10 = Adios Gase?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Will falling one game short of last year's record be the end of Gase?

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

i wouldn't exactly say that about the patsies.  they did pretty well in the old afl and also in the 70's under fairbanks, 80's under berry, 90's under parcells, and now nearly two decades of success.  they did have some low moments in the late 60's early 70's, early 80's, and early 90's.  and they had some success with a true clown, billy sullivan, as owner.

The Jets won a Super Bowl, won a few wildcard berths, won a few playoff games, produced a few Pro Bowl caliber players, I'd say the 1960-2000 Jets and Patriots had very similar trajectories.  Since then, very different paths.  Just proof that a franchise QB, great HC, and a smart FO makes all the difference.  The Jets appear on their way to a similar foundation.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Did it get Todd Bowles fired? Buckle in...it's Todd Bowles the Sequel: Offensive Version

The reason Bowles was retained was that Christopher Johnson announced a full rebuild and asked the fans for patience.  With all those players being dumped and tensions being high, Bowles was the perfect head coach.  Not blustery, introverted and composed, he could deal with all the failure with dignity.

Bowles and Maccagnan were the sacrificial transition team.  Gase and Douglas are here to win.  And we're in it for the long haul.  No more of this knee-jerk listen-to-Beningo-and-Mahish crap.  Gase gets his full 4 years.  That's the plan.

SAR I

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

I voted yes based on the assumption that Johnson and not Douglas is making the call.

You are looking to see some tangible signs of improvement and if the 3rd year of Adam Gase brings a season of treading water or even taking a step backwards then no progress is being made.  There is zero sugar coating such an outcome if it happens.

I think Gase needs to be 8-8 or better otherwise we should show him the door and give Douglas a free hand to find his own head coach and stop this HC inheriting GM and GM inheriting HC cycle that we have been in. 

The johnsons are always slow to pull the trigger so i just don’t see that changing with Gase unless JD urges it, which I don’t think he will do unless he sees no improvement of the level of play. And, lets face it, the 2019 Jets set the bar pretty low due to lack of talent combined with injuries.

Depends on circumstance. I don't think there is a strict W/L cutoff. I really don't. I mean, if the Jets win 4 games and he loses the locker room, yes, maybe, but I can't imagine that happening. I don't think the totality of the schedule is an excuse. But quality of the opponent comes into play in a game by game basis. If the Jets lose 'winable' games to 'beatable' teams with a healthy roster, if they let those games slip away, there will be an immense amount of media pressure to fire Gase. 

I DO think at some point CJ and JD relents to the media pressure and fires Gase if the Jets keep losing games in awful ways, even if they end up winning 5-6, maybe even 7 games. I also think a good candidate will have to be available or they won't do it. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

6-10 would be a disaster and means Darnold didn’t play well.

Gase would likely get fired and the pitchforks would be out on Darnold - next offseason he would get the Trubisky treatment.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Dont you ever kiss your mama with that foul mouth of yours!

37 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

6-10 would be a disaster and means Darnold didn’t play well.

Gase would likely get fired and the pitchforks would be out on Darnold - next offseason he would get the Trubisky treatment.

Not necessarily.

Matt Ryan had an MVP like season in 2018 going 7-9.

They haven't even played a game in year two yet... Year one the starting QB had mono, oh wait that's an excuse as opposed to reality. As we all know QB isn't that important of a position in the NFL. "Other back ups did good". Yeah, well other back ups were on teams with good rosters that could support them and not their in their first year in a new system. Yup, despite that glaring fact that the roster sucked, that was just an excuse, right. I'm not sold on Gase and this is a big year for the team, but some of you are seemingly just blind with rage because the team didn't hire your coaching mancrush nor will they be. Move on and try to be objective. This isn't year 5 of Todd or 6 of Rex. There is a new GM which most seem to be high on and he seems to get along with and be on the same page as the HC. At very least within one off season Gase disposed of a corporate ladder climbing incompetent check casher who no one liked and was clearly an issue. Gase derangement syndrome is real.

• Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, New York Mick said:

The Steelers have 6 SB wins, back to back SBs, SBs in multiple decades, 600 plus all time wins and a sh*t ton of playoffs games and wins. 
The Pats are a better example but they were better then the Jets before they got a new owner and turned it around. The Jets have the same owner for 20 years and they sucked. They are not a winning franchise. 

The Patriots and the Jets were equally in the abyss before Kraft and Parcells first turned things around and the Jets at least had a title. 

The Saints were a disaster and national laughing stock (i.e. "the aints") before Payton and Brees. 

The Browns are the reverse - they were NFL royalty in the 50s and 60s (winning 4 NFL championships) and have been a joke since the Super Bowl era got under way. 

If you look at other sports, the Warriors are a great example in the NBA. 

Turnarounds happen. It just takes the right group of guys. 

• Upvote 3

To answer the poll question, context is always important, but it's hard to imagine a scenario in which Gase survives a losing record this year. 

He's as unpopular entering his second season (with both the fan base and national sports media) as any coach we have had since Kotite. While I happen to think going 7-9 with last year's injury-depleted, talent-starved roster was not a bad first year performance, the vast majority of Jets fans seem to disagree with me.

This ownership group also has no conviction and blows with the wind. Almost no chance he survives another losing season, IMO. 

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

He had a couple of good games, and a lot of disappointing ones. That's how you end up ranked where he was. Lets look at how he finished the season, when he was presumably back to full strength after the mono thing.

We were an overturned last second call away from losing to Miami.

We got embarrassed by the Ravens on national tv.

We squeaked by a Pittsburgh team QB'ed by their version of Falk.

We barely beat the Bills second stringers with Darnold struggling against them

Lets not act like he was carrying anything. Other than the Ravens game, the defense kept things close against a bunch of terrible offenses.

You continue to see what you want to see and that is fine. You have decided that San does not pass the eye test and until he starts consistently performing at a Top 10 level you will continue to believe he is a bust. I get it, actually. I was never a fan of Pennington. He was somewhat opposite of Darnold in that Chad put up decent numbers but was wildly ineffective. I was so happy the when he was gone. He had good touch but not a good QB. Darnold to my eyes is one of the better prospects I have seen, thrown into horrible situations both years with essentially no support on offense at all. I am confident he will be a franchise guy, and I truly believe that he was much better last year than his statistics. One of us will be right, we will see.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Context will be very important -- it's less about the actual record and more about the perception of the job he's done, Darnold's progress, the offenses progress, the pulse of the locker room, Douglas' opinion. etc.

But if I had to bet money I'd say he doesn't survive 6-10.

Context is very important in evaluating a coach in this situation and this is where having a non-football owner along with our reporting structure is a huge issue.

Yes his record will be important but the bigger point is whether or not Gase has designed a good offense and shown that he actually has the ability to run a football team.  Someone who actually understands football needs to be able to tell whether or not Gase has evolved offensively or if he is continuing to run the same antiquated plays that worked for one season with Peyton.  He also needs to prove that he can run a locker room, and simply having positive quotes from players isnt enough.

I sincerely hope that regardless of the reporting structure is, that CJ will listen to Joe D and make change if Joe thinks we need to.

3 hours ago, EM31 said:

I voted yes based on the assumption that Johnson and not Douglas is making the call.

You are looking to see some tangible signs of improvement and if the 3rd year of Adam Gase brings a season of treading water or even taking a step backwards then no progress is being made.  There is zero sugar coating such an outcome if it happens.

I think Gase needs to be 8-8 or better otherwise we should show him the door and give Douglas a free hand to find his own head coach and stop this HC inheriting GM and GM inheriting HC cycle that we have been in. 

He’s in year two, not three

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He’s in year two, not three

Jeez Jet Nut.....  Get with the program.

The premise of the thread is IF......... If we go 6-10 NEXT YEAR.... will/should Adam Gase be fired at that time.....

Fast forward to next year at that time.... Next year at that time he will have been here for two years plus the one year we are talking about here.... In your universe what does two plus one equal?  Are you thinking that maybe he can get a year scrubbed off the record because of some excuse or other or are you just going with two plus one equals two?

Almost everyone here wants to fire Gase if the team finishes 6-10!!! Everyone still believes here one draft by GM Joe Douglas and it will put the team over the top. Wrong this team still have a bunch of holes, the Jets still don't have a pass rushing OLB, the secondary is still questionable and the oline still hasn't been tested because they haven't played together. The biggest question mark is Darnold the QB still hasn't played a full season and the schedule isn't easy. One draft doesn't put you in contention for the playoffs at all!!!! The Jets still have a lot of needs and work to do!!!!!

Who will you replace Gase with besides Gregg Williams? Who would you hire besides Williams?

Remember if you fire Gase, you do know Darnold is going to have to learn a new system!!!! It is going to be his third system he is going to learn on offense!!!! That doesn't help Darnold get better at all!!!! 

I believe stick with Gase, because this GM Joe Douglas started something that Tannenbaum, Idzik, and Maccagnan neglected to do. Gase started something let him finish it first then judge him!!!!

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Jeez Jet Nut.....  Get with the program.

The premise of the thread is IF......... If we go 6-10 NEXT YEAR.... will/should Adam Gase be fired at that time.....

Fast forward to next year at that time.... Next year at that time he will have been here for two years plus the one year we are talking about here.... In your universe what does two plus one equal?  Are you thinking that maybe he can get a year scrubbed off the record because of some excuse or other or are you just going with two plus one equals two?

Crazy me, I took it as if we go 6-10 this year does he get fired after the season.  You know because that’s what was written.

That’s not after his third year.  No matter which crazy math and calendar you’re using.  And be ridiculous with the 2+1 = 2 comment.  

Youve got to love the commitment to argue this.  Or the inability to go back and just reread the OP

16 hours ago, Maxman said:

100% he should be fired for 6 and 10.

If there are a lot of injuries that still isn't an excuse. Why do his teams always get hurt? That would be the bigger question, either way 6 wins you move on.

Vegas has this team at 6.5 wins.  Just because we have homers who think this team, with this roster, has a legit shot at winning the division without a monster year out of Darnold, doesn't mean there's any thought in Florham Park that 6-10 would be a disastrous season.

JD has his eyes set on 2021 for the Jets to start becoming a perennial contender.  It would take more like a 3-13 collapse for Gase to get fired.  The only caveat being if JD already has plans in place to bring in a new HC as part of that 2021 vision, in which case the W-L record this season wouldn't have much of an impact on that decision.

16 hours ago, Hael said:

I don’t think our talent lvl is viewed that favorably around the league, so 6-10 against a hard schedule is perhaps not a crazy fireable offense.

Yup.

And making matters worse, we have a lot of new faces (especially on the OL, where working together as a unit is of highest importance) just in time for an offseason where social distancing is the name of the game, thus potentially reducing the time these guys will be able to spend together.  A slow start to the season is all but assured.

9 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

He wouldn’t get to 6-10. Out before then.

The Johnsons are notoriously cheap, yet you really think they're firing Gase in midseason of Year 2?

JD may well want to fire Gase midseason 2020 or after the 2020 season ends.  But its not up to him, so it won't happen.  He's going to be the HC in 2021, and fans are just going to have to get used to that idea.

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

The Patriots and the Jets were equally in the abyss before Kraft and Parcells first turned things around and the Jets at least had a title. 

The Saints were a disaster and national laughing stock (i.e. "the aints") before Payton and Brees. 

The Browns are the reverse - they were NFL royalty in the 50s and 60s (winning 4 NFL championships) and have been a joke since the Super Bowl era got under way. 

If you look at other sports, the Warriors are a great example in the NBA. 

Turnarounds happen. It just takes the right group of guys. 

And the Jets haven’t done it yet so they’re not a successful franchise. That’s the point I made. 

This probably repeats what others have said, but to me:

• If the Jets are 6-10, but at least in [7] of the losses the Jets looked well-prepared and well-coached, I can see Gase being retained.
    • But we all know that, in most of last year's losses, the Jets did not look well-prepared or well-coached.
  • I think the high likelihood is that, if the Jets are 6-10, they will not look like they were well-prepared and well-coached in many if not most of those 10 losses.  
  • So, I think it is highly likely that Gase is fired if the Jets are 6-10, and that is how I voted.  

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

The Pittsburgh Steelers were once an NFL joke.  The Patriots were the Jets in blue uniforms for 30 years.  All it takes is the right owner making the right front office hires and a couple of drafts to set a team on a successful path.  We get no hats and t-shirts, but a successful rebuild with a franchise quarterback in 3 years is a hell of an accomplishment.  Christopher Johnson is the man.  He's our Bob Kraft.  He's our Jerry Jones.  You'll see.

SAR I  

From your lips to the football Gods’ ears! 

• Post of the Week 1