How good is Tua Tagovaiola?

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

If he stays healthy he WILL be a thorn in our side for years. With Tua under center your team is never "out of it". He's demonstrated that big play home run capability. Just look at that National Championship game against Georgia. Trailing he takes a huge sack back to the 42. Now it's 2nd and 17 and BANG a 42 yd game winning strike to Devonta Smith for the win. As a freshman !  The key is " If he stays healthy".

He never won a Natty as the starter though.   

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Is he the type of QB that will annoy us for the next decade (like Brady) or is he nothing more than a solid competitor? I don't watch college football, but his stats are pretty damn impressive. Trying to get an idea of his talent level.

I know there's concern over the injuries, but we heard something similar with Drew brees and he turned out OK. Physical conditioning is one of the few traits that can be improved with time and coaching.

Now that he's in our division for the long-term, how worried should we be about Tua?

Bama fan here. I feel pretty skeptical, tbh.

It could be overreaction cos of teh sheer # of Bama players that go pro and are JAGS.

I am guessing a middle of the road guy....

• Upvote 1

He's extremely overrated, watch the injury compilation I linked, the guy got hurt sliding, no one touched him, he got hurt sliding. That, along with his injury history, tells you everything you need to know about his durability. Best case, he's Sam Bradford 2.0.

As for the player ignoring injury history, he played on a team that made Mac Jones, the guy that came in for Tua when he busted his hip, have one of the highest passer ratings in the nation, higher then guys like Lawrence, Fields, etc. He's overrated as all hell. He's got a, at best, average arm, and his elusiveness is overrated, he's probably a 4.7 at best, more like 4.8 guy. He's one of the most overrated qbs I have ever seen in a long time. Not to mention you have rumors about this guys intelligence, what with his 13 wonderlic (got a 19 on a retake), and rumors about Alabama having to dumb down the offense for him. Be glad Dolphins took him instead of Herbert.

• Upvote 1

I think it says something when a large number of teams were crossing Tua off their 1st round boards because of the injuries. 

The Dolphins took a big risk. But the reward could be tremendous if he can stay off the ground. I think they should’ve picked Herbert. 

3 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Umm maybe to you... but it's been a fact since college

2016. 31 TD’s and 9 INT’s

2017. 26 TD’s and 13 INT’s 

If that’s the definition of a “turnover machine”, sign me up. 

3 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Umm maybe to you... but it's been a fact since college

Yep that’s true. It was the big concern. Tua hasn’t played a down in the NFL and has never taken an NFL hit. Kid could be really good or he could not last a single season. Throw out health concerns and he’s a top notch prospect, but is nothing more than a giant unknown.  Josh Allen made it to the playoffs, might want to let Tua take a snap before anointing him best QB in division. 

7 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

He is very talented but it won't matter because he won't be able to stay healthy. Kid got hurt a bunch at Bama, where he probably saw much less pressure than he will in the NFL. And if you are injury prone in college, that doesn't go away once you're in the NFL, if anything it gets worse.

This.  Agree 100%.

• Upvote 1

I don't see him staying healthy. He's talented, really talented but I don't see how he can stay healthy. He has one thing going for him, they have had a serious infusion of draft capital this year and more coming next year. I do think he was worth taking a risk on, what else were their option?

Justin Herbert? Jordan Love? Take a shot with Jalen Hurts? Not having a top ten quarterback in this league means having everything else needing to go right for you in terms of drafting, player health, great coaching.  

Josh Allen had a top five defense helping out, ultimately he's going to have to deliver the ball if that team is going to bring a trophy to western New York. Likewise Sam Darnold has to deliver in year three. The Jets roster is now improved to barely average from complete crap, we should have a better sense of who Darnold particularly if the roster can remain healthy.

Reading the replies here - folks are taking some liberties (IMO) on both ends. 

It’s safe to say he’s injury prone. That is not however, a guarantee he remains so... and it’s also safe to say he’s one of the most naturally talented passers I’ve seen in some time. Accuracy and touch is stunning at times.  

His health will likely be annual topic. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Is he the type of QB that will annoy us for the next decade (like Brady) or is he nothing more than a solid competitor? I don't watch college football, but his stats are pretty damn impressive. Trying to get an idea of his talent level.

I know there's concern over the injuries, but we heard something similar with Drew brees and he turned out OK. Physical conditioning is one of the few traits that can be improved with time and coaching.

Now that he's in our division for the long-term, how worried should we be about Tua?

As far as a prospect coming out of college, he seemed to be a safe bet to be a solid QB if he can stay healthy which is sort of the knock on him. 

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

How good is Tua Tagovaiola?

No one knows.  Anyone who says they do is projecting.

We'll find out in a few months.  

Why not just wait and see?

Debate is critical analysis - everyone tests their hypotheses in an open forum.

According to the commentariat and most ‘Phins fans, if he doesn’t suffer injuries, his glory is inevitable.

Tua's potential is off the charts.

If he is given the time to heal, and come back from his hip surgery 100% healthy (I think Miami should sit him at least until late November, I'd sit him the entire year) he will become the best, and most complete QB in the division. 

Might not have the arm strength of Allen (nobody does), but Tua is far more accurate.

Throws the deep ball (and just about everything else) better than Darnold. Probably moves better in and out of the pocket also. When Sam plays a 16 game season, then I'll listen to people here knocking Tua for his injuries. They both have to show they can stay healthy. 

Stidham? Meh. However, if the Pats like him, that scares me.

Right now the best QB in the division is Fitzpatrick. The Dolphins can and should let him mentor Tua for a year. Then unleash the beast.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

If he is given the time to heal, and come back from his hip surgery 100% healthy (I think Miami should sit him at least until late November, I'd sit him the entire year) he will become the best, and most complete QB in the division. 

Might not have the arm strength of Allen (nobody does), but Tua is far more accurate.

Throws the deep ball (and just about everything else) better than Darnold. Probably moves better in and out of the pocket also. When Sam plays a 16 game season, then I'll listen to people here knocking Tua for his injuries. They both have to show they can stay healthy. 

Right now the best QB in the division is Fitzpatrick. The Dolphins can and should let him mentor Tua for a year. Then unleash the beast.

Lol

Tua was a fantastic prospect. 

I love him.

I hate that he went to the Dolphins.

That being said, I work in the medical field and everyone who I have spoken to, including surgeons, says that they would be terrified of that hip.  That's not even taking into account his other injuries.  Obviously I don't have access to his medicals, but I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't have hesitated drafting him so high.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Respectfully, my friend, there is a lot I disagree with here.  Without breaking everything down, Darnold was an absolutely phenomenal prospect in college and that is what we should be comparing them as: prospects.  Darnold was a much better pro prospect than Tua and, as of now, we have no idea what Tua can do as a pro.  Personally, I think he's going to be fine if he can stay healthy.

Lastly, Darnold's health does not concern me more than Tua's.  It's not even close.  Getting mono is not the same as completely cracking your hip or busting both of your ankles.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Honest question. Have you ever watched Tua play in college? 

I don't recall you ever mentioning him beyond how bad his hip injury was because you suffered the same injury. Now the Dolphins draft him and you say his potential is off the charts. 

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I love him.

That being said, I work in the medical field and everyone who I have spoken to, including surgeons, says that they would be terrified of that hip.  That's not even taking into account his other injuries.  Obviously I don't have access to his medicals, but I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't have hesitated drafting him so high.

I don't agree that he was a fantastic prospect and I'm going too leave his medicals out of this. He played with an NFL offense and was able to hold the ball forever. If you look at his offense he had two WR's go in the first round this year and possibly two more first rounders next year in Waddle and Smith. His RT went in the first round this year and his LT will go in the first next year. Then you add in Najee Harris. It's damn near impossible for a QB to fail under those conditions. Just my differing view on him as as prospect without consideration for his injuries .

I also love the fact the Dolphins drafted him so high. Besides landing Becton and Mims my next favorite move was Miami drafting him.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Mogglez said:

I love him.

I had the same exact injury, Moggs.

It ended my so-so college baseball stint. Bo Jackson and Flacco's TE (can't remember his name) are both 1000x better athletes than I was, had it, and it ended their careers. I honestly don't know of anyone coming back from it.

@johnnysd and I have talked about this a few times, and Im hoping he's right, and that there have been advancements to the point where Tua can come back healthy. I'd love to see it... no kid deserves to have his sports career cut short like that.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RobR said:

I don't agree that he was a fantastic prospect and I'm going too leave his medicals out of this. He played with an NFL offense and was able to hold the ball forever. If you look at his offense he had two WR's go in the first round this year and possibly two more first rounders next year in Waddle and Smith. His RT went in the first round this year and his LT will go in the first next year. Then you add in Najee Harris. It's damn near impossible for a QB to fail under those conditions. Just my differing view on him as as prospect without consideration for his injuries .

I also love the fact the Dolphins drafted him so high. Besides landing Becton and Mims my next favorite move was Miami drafting him.

Yes, and taking a developmental tackle who needs a lot of technique work in Austin Jackson at #18 was beautiful, too.  I was worried Douglas was going to panic and reach for Jackson if the top tackles were gone. 

Thank God. 

Just now, RobR said:

Honest question. Have you ever watched Tua play in college? 

I don't recall you ever mentioning him beyond how bad his hip injury was because you suffered the same injury. Now the Dolphins draft him and you say his potential is off the charts. 

You're asking me if I ever saw Tua play for Alabama? GTFOH

Get over yourself, Rob. I'm not exactly going out on a limb saying Tua's potential is off the charts. What are you going to tell me? You gave him a poor grade after watching his film?

Just now, RobR said:

Ahhh… So you and absolutely nobody else are the ones who didn't think Tua was a fantastic prospect.

NOW I get why you asked if I ever saw him play...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You're asking me if I ever saw Tua play for Alabama? GTFOH

Get over yourself, Rob. I'm not exactly going out on a limb saying Tua's potential is off the charts. What are you going to tell me? You gave him a poor grade after watching his film?

Just read my post above. You said earlier that Tua would never amount too anything because of his injury and after he gets drafted by a division rival you called his potential "off the charts". He's also going too become the best and most complete QB in our division was what you said. I'm just calling a spade a spade.