With the draft behind us, would you give up a 2021 1st for Ngakoue?

Pass rusher is now the biggest need on the roster and adding Ngakoue could make the Jets a top 5 defense.  That, in turn, could make them a 9-10 win team, meaning the Jets first rounder in 2021 would be quite a bit lower than 2020's 1st.

Yay or nay?

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Pass rusher is now the biggest need on the roster and adding Ngakoue could make the Jets a top 5 defense.  That, in turn, could make them a 9-10 win team, meaning the Jets first rounder in 2021 would be quite a bit lower than 2020's 1st.

Yay or nay?

But Jets are cash poor (per Manish).... So how would the Jets sign him long term

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

I have a hard time believing JD trades a 1st for anyone. As others have mentioned, if the Jags bring their asking price down, then maybe a deal could be made. Ngakoue would be a great fit. For those who compare stats, here’s the difference between Ngakoue and Jordan Jenkins.  Both started in 2016:

Ngakoue career stats:

Tackles: 122

Sacks: 37.5

Forced fumbles: 14

Recovered: 3

Pass deflections: 9

INT’s: 2 

Defensive TD’s: 2

2016 PFWA All rookie team

2017 Pro Bowler 

Jenkins: 

Tackles: 157

Sacks: 20.5

Forced fumbles: 6

Recovered: 5

Who’s better?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Contrary to the notion that I’m biased to anything regarding Jamal Adams, I would entertain a trade of Jamal Adams for Ngakoue, and any draft picks to make it work. 

Edge rusher > Safety. 

I applaud you for this.

Would you change your username or let it ride?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

I have a hard time believing JD trades a 1st for anyone. As others have mentioned, if the Jags bring their asking price down, then maybe a deal could be made. Ngakoue would be a great fit. For those who compare stats, here’s the difference between Ngakoue and Jordan Jenkins.  Both started in 2016:

Ngakoue career stats:

Tackles: 122

Sacks: 37.5

Forced fumbles: 14

Recovered: 3

Pass deflections: 9

INT’s: 2 

Defensive TD’s: 2

2016 PFWA All rookie team

2017 Pro Bowler 

Jenkins: 

Tackles: 157

Sacks: 20.5

Forced fumbles: 6

Recovered: 5

Who’s better?

Jenkins numbers have been gradually improving every year. Ngakoue's sack numbers have gone down every year since 2017. Last season the two put up similar stat lines.

I'm not trading a first round pick or an all-pro safety for a guy who had 12 sacks once in his career.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Jenkins numbers have been gradually improving every year. Ngakoue's sack numbers have gone down every year since 2017. Last season the two put up similar stat lines.

I'm not trading a first round pick or an all-pro safety for a guy who had 12 sacks once in his career.

He also doesn't fit the bill for the type of pass rusher Douglas likely looks for:

yannick-ngakoue-ras-13105.png?w=1100&ssl

For comparison:

jordan-jenkins-ras-12703.png?w=1100&ssl=

And of course, Jenkins wasn't drafted by JD.  But this guy was:

Jabari-Zuniga-RAS-19387.png?w=806&ssl=1

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I get it. I understand your position, but more so on Clowney, based on his injury history and average sack numbers. But for Ngakoue, I like the age (25), durability, and ability to affect the game in multiple ways. He’s pretty good getting into the backfield against the run, too. 

6 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

I get it. I understand your position, but more so on Clowney, based on his injury history and average sack numbers. But for Ngakoue, I like the age (25), durability, and ability to affect the game in multiple ways. He’s pretty good getting into the backfield against the run, too. 

Clowney would make a LOT more sense than Ngakoue, especially since he wouldn't cost a pick.  Much more of a "JD fit":

PlayerName Pos Year 2018 RAS 2014 RAS

Jadeveon Clowney DE 2014 9.71 9.7

As I pointed out in an earlier post, Ngakoue is less athletic than Jordan Jenkins.  And Jenkins didn't exactly garner a lot of money out of JD this past offseason.

Ngakoue is not a JD fit.  Clowney might not be either, but certainly not because of a lack of athleticism.  

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I applaud you for this.

Would you change your username or let it ride?

If we trade Adams, yes, my username changes. 

It goes immediately to “StoleBryceHallinthe5th”. 

Or something. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, AFJF said:

Yay or nay?

I’d consider trading Adams for him if they can’t work out a deal

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

A first round pick for the guy who got into a Twitter argument with their teams owner? That is bad buisness...even if the guy is a first round talent he has no desire to play for the jaguars and his value drops.

Especially since we already have a player on our team who complained to ownership at the trade deadline and also tweets a lot of dumb stuff.  

• Upvote 2

I am not sure whether I want an elite Edge Rusher on the Jets more because I think it would be good for the Jets or more to just have people stop whining about it. People don't want an effective pass rush they just want the elite name it seems to me.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I am not sure whether I want an elite Edge Rusher on the Jets more because I think it would be good for the Jets or more to just have people stop whining about it. People don't want an effective pass rush they just want the elite name it seems to me.

That’s usually how it works. Elite pass rushes usually have an elite name attached to them. At least one. We have zero. 

Ngakoue is a good pass rusher and I'd love to see him on the team but not by giving up a 1st. He's always had the fortune of playing with other good pass rushers (Campbell, Josh Allen, Fowler), and this past year he had the same amount of sacks as Jordan Jenkins. I'd go as far as giving up a 2nd and 5th, but not a 1st.