Chiefs' Chris "Jamal" Jones looking for $20M per year 'or I won't play'

10 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Mr. Jones, I support your bold statement, as you don't have a degree or any verifiable vocational skills I wish you luck in your new life as a bouncer or private security. I don't think you'll be making the amount of money you think you deserve though. 

jason bateman dodgeball GIF

Hes already made around, what, $20 Million? That would set me and my family up for a life of comfort and fun for a very long time. 

The thing most of these guys don't seem to get because of their limited brainpower, greed, desire for what they understand as "respect", and their agents, is that nobody is making them play, pretty much nobody can relate to their absurd demands, and that once you have $10M in the bank, if you aren't a full retard, you never need to work again and can care for your family for generations. 

The guys who play for a contract or 2, Make a few mill, and then suddenly "retire" at 27 years old because of "concerns for future health" are probably the smartest dudes around.

But hey, then again, who doesn't need 4 Bentleys, 1000 pairs of gold sneakers, gold chains, 5 Carat Diamond Earings for each day of the week, a pet Oscelot or two, and crippling arthritis and CTE in their 50s?

While I agree its highly debatable whether it really works out for the best of the player to hold out long term, it really has no comparison to the Adams situation.  If anything, franchise tags are the one time I can understand holdouts, even if I don't necessarily think it often works out, because in that case it's quite literally a matter of trying to be forced to honor a contract you never agreed to.  Ultimately, it is really just a matter of that player deciding not to sign the contract offered.  That is a very different situation than refusing to honor the one you actually signed, and gladly took all of the various bonuses/guarantees that came with it.

• Upvote 1

Guy makes 16M pee year. Demands 20 or C will sit out. Ok 1 year he sits and loses 16M. Gets resigned the following year @ 20M for 4 years.  It would take him 4 years to make up that 16M he list for sitting out the year. Gets a year off if this transpires. But really, biatching over 16M versus 20M. What a bunch of ingrates. 

10 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Hes already made around, what, $20 Million? That would set me and my family up for a life of comfort and fun for a very long time.

The thing most of these guys don't seem to get because of their limited brainpower, greed, desire for what they understand as "respect", and their agents, is that nobody is making them play, pretty much nobody can relate to their absurd demands, and that once you have $10M in the bank, if you aren't a full retard, you never need to work again and can care for your family for generations. 

I agree. Players could comfortably live off the interest from their contracts, but many will be broke before they know it because most athletes/people don't know how to manage money which isn't surprising. I think the players tend to overvalue their position in society (see Richard Sherman complaining that Cam is entitled to more than his current contract simply for being Cam) as they are nothing more than entertainers and without owners putting together a marketable product and fans wallet's an athlete's value is next to nothing as playing sports, past entertainment, isn't worth anything other than good cardio.

The guys who play for a contract or 2, Make a few mill, and then suddenly "retire" at 27 years old because of "concerns for future health" are probably the smartest dudes around.

I agree. Football is my favorite sport, but I'd teach my kids to play soccer or baseball (unless I marry a tall woman they'd be too short for basketball) as football rings your bell which I knew even as a kid.

But hey, then again, who doesn't need 4 Bentleys, 1000 pairs of gold sneakers, gold chains, 5 Carat Diamond Earings for each day of the week, a pet Oscelot or two, and crippling arthritis and CTE in their 50s?

Yeah, I remember a picture of Adams and a Bentley shortly after being drafted. The picture shouted "huge ego covering for low self esteem". When you're the man you don't have to try and consistently convince people of such, particularly with material things. I've never followed someone who told me they were a leader on twitter, I have followed people I respect due to their accomplishments.

21 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

There is a slew of people who don't  want him here because they're  feelings seem to be hurt.  It's  like hate on Adams 24/7

Some of us really just don't like the guy and never have. Braggadocio prima donna's with an air of d**che are the worst. 

Give me Aaron Hernandez or Ray Lewis over Jamal Adams I'd rather root for a murderer than a d**chey prima donna.

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

Some of us really just don't like the guy and never have. Braggadocio prima donna's with an air of d**che are the worst. 

Give me Aaron Hernandez or Ray Lewis over Jamal Adams I'd rather root for a murderer than a d**chey prima donna.

When I first saw Aaron Hernandez's name, I though maybe there was another guy with the same name but you would rather root for a psycho than Adams actually speaks volumes about you. 

On 7/1/2020 at 9:42 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

He must be a Jamal Adams follower on social media.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chris-jones-looking-for-20m-per-year-or-i-won-t-play

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2020 10:29 PM

•  
  •  

Chris Jones looking for $20M per year 'or I won't play'

f6b7udz3xm3jglfakq9q.svg

Grant Gordon

NFL.COM DIGITAL CONTENT PRODUCER

Standout defensive lineman Chris Jones and his Super Bowl-champion Chiefs have until July 15 to work out a long-term deal.

However, if Jones, who the team applied the franchise tag to in March, doesn't get the deal he's desiring, it might be well past mid-July until Kansas City sees the uber-talented DL again.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported Tuesday on NFL Total Access that Jones has "always viewed himself as a $20 million-plus" per-year player, but that the Chiefs have never seen him in such a light and have never offered him that substantial an amount. Hence, Garafolo added there is "a lot of work to be done," if a long-term pact is to be had and Garafolo's not confident it will happen.

Jones, a 2019 Pro Bowler, replied via Twitter to a reply to a video of Garafolo's report that a holdout might be in store.

"Or I won't play. Le'Veon Bell told me about this," Jones' tweet read.

Bell famously -- or infamously, pending on your viewpoint or rooting interest -- held out all of the 2018 season while he was with the Pittsburgh Steelers seeking a lofty contract. He was eventually released and signed a lucrative deal with the New York Jets.

Jones, 25, is set to make $16.1 million during the 2020 season on the franchise tag and currently there are only two defensive tackles making north of $20 million annually, per Over the Cap, and that's the Rams' Aaron Donald and the Colts' DeForest Buckner.

Jones, whose 87.6 grade via Pro Football Focus was the seventh-best among interior defensive linemen in 2019, is a four-year pro who really burst upon the scene in 2018 when he tallied 15.5 sacks. Over the last two seasons and 29 games played, he has 24.5 sacks. Aside from his statistics, though, Jones can play all along the line and impacts a game like few others.

Should he hold out, not only would it likely be a blow to the chemistry of the reigning Super Bowl champions, it would also take one of the most talented young defensive players in the league off the field.

It seems as though the honeymoon may well be over for the champs.

Yo, Leveon told me. Is he kidding? Jeez, the NFL is in trouble with this crap.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

When I first saw Aaron Hernandez's name, I though maybe there was another guy with the same name but you would rather root for a psycho than Adams actually speaks volumes about you. 

???

So serious Cowbell .... So you can't tell when someone is being hyperbolic for arguments sake? You would rather clutch your pearls aghast at a barely edgy  joke? It "actually speaks volumes about you" Cowbell.? 

Look when it comes to Jamal some of us just have never liked the guy under the helmet. 

For some of us he is wholly unlikeable and we'd rather root against him than for him. I'd love for him to go to the Cowboys to give me even more of a vested interest in rooting against them.

From day one I didn't like his braggadocio persona ... But he was constant contributor on defense so I was happy to have him on the team. I wasn't about to buy his jersey but I was glad one of our first rounders seemed to be working out even if I felt it was misallocated  on a non premium defensive position.

His true D-bag colors have come out more and more and he has shown himself to be a fraud.

Richie Incognito is more likeable than Jamal in my book and I think Incognito is a giant A-hole who almost crazied himself out of the league ..... I dislike both personaity types but I'd rather have a bully @**hole on the team that a d**chey diva. At least being a bully and an A- hole can be useful on the field.

• Thumb Down 1

On 7/1/2020 at 10:04 AM, HessStation said:

Does anybody really care about pro sports anymore? As entertainment sure, but if you still lose sleep over this sh*t I don’t get you

The number of pages full of posts regarding every word Jamal posts on Twitter or the posts after a dum assed Manish article says many do

13 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Guy makes 16M pee year. Demands 20 or C will sit out. Ok 1 year he sits and loses 16M. Gets resigned the following year @ 20M for 4 years.  It would take him 4 years to make up that 16M he list for sitting out the year. Gets a year off if this transpires. But really, biatching over 16M versus 20M. What a bunch of ingrates. 

I think it is about the guaranteed money.  

Scenario 1-Let's say he plays this year for $16mm and breaks his leg, or neck.  Who knows what he makes next year.  So C makes $16mm.

Scenario 2-Let's say he plays this year for $16mm, is healthy, and then signs an extension with $40mm guaranteed.  C makes $56mm.  Win for C.   That is what Kurt Cousins did, basically.  

Scenario 3-Let's say he sits out this year and signs next year for 4 years/$20mm-year/$40mm guaranteed.  C makes $40mm guaranteed.  This is better than Scenario 1.   I think that is the way Adams is thinking about it as well. 

If Mosely suffered his injury in 2018 and not 2019, his bank account now looks much different.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Adams is a psycho too, he just isn't a murderer. 

On 7/1/2020 at 9:52 AM, Beerfish said:

Big mistake for players to use Bell as their mentor in this.

is it though? 

the Steelers were public in their desire to wear Bell out to the tune of another 400+ touch year

everyone knew they were going to ruin him, that year before he sat out 

he got a year off for his body and the Jets gave him enough money it almost covers the year he lost 

plus he still has feeling in his legs 

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

Richie Incognito is more likeable than Jamal in my book and I think Incognito is a giant A-hole who almost crazied himself out of the league ..... I dislike both personaity types but I'd rather have a bully @**hole on the team that a d**chey diva. At least being a bully and an A- hole can be useful on the field.

I feel like this comment summarizes the Anti-Adams crowd around here 

I won't even say anything about the the quote

let it just sit there in the sun for a while 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

I dislike both personaity types but I'd rather have a bully @**hole on the team that a d**chey diva.

Because tweets that make some fans go crazy while that player is still loved by teammates is worse than a player who tears up the locker room and almost destroys a team?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

???

So serious Cowbell .... So you can't tell when someone is being hyperbolic for arguments sake? You would rather clutch your pearls aghast at a barely edgy  joke? It "actually speaks volumes about you" Cowbell.? 

Look when it comes to Jamal some of us just have never liked the guy under the helmet. 

For some of us he is wholly unlikeable and we'd rather root against him than for him. I'd love for him to go to the Cowboys to give me even more of a vested interest in rooting against them.

From day one I didn't like his braggadocio persona ... But he was constant contributor on defense so I was happy to have him on the team. I wasn't about to buy his jersey but I was glad one of our first rounders seemed to be working out even if I felt it was misallocated  on a non premium defensive position.

His true D-bag colors have come out more and more and he has shown himself to be a fraud.

Oh yeah, the I was being funny defense because now I realize  how retarded it was for me to say that.

On 7/1/2020 at 12:26 PM, varjet said:

I don’t think those are the facts.  I think Bell could have signed the Jets’ deal with the Steelers in 2018 and received a guarantee similar to what the Jets provided.

So Bell signed the same deal with the Jets that he did with the Steelers, except that he lost a year of work.  Bell is out $14mm unless he can find a way to play a year longer than he wanted to for that money.  I don’t think that is happening.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-turned-down-a-monstrous-70-million-deal-from-the-steelers/

No, he's right. The only guarantee upon signing was a $10MM signing bonus. That $33MM was a rolling guarantee, in that the following year became guaranteed like sometime in the first week of the next season in March. So it was a guarantee in name only.

If Bell had a devastating, career-ending injury - or if they'd just changed their minds if he wasn't as good anymore - I'm sorry but Pittsburgh wasn't still going to pay him $15MM or whatever it was for the next season. If that wasn't a concern for the player, then Pittsburgh could have just put that into the contract as an injury guarantee. That they balked at that is the point. They essentially wanted him on more franchise tag type contracts (guaranteeing one year at a time) without the additional, annual franchise tag escalators.

In practice, Bell probably would have made more if he'd signed that. But only if he stayed healthy enough for Pittsburgh to want him back in 2019. 

In fairness I think the Jets did something similar with Ferguson and/or Mangold, like if you make it through this year without getting injured then we'll guarantee more after that. I'd have to look that up, if it's still available info, but it was something like that. 

57 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I feel like this comment summarizes the Anti-Adams crowd around here 

I won't even say anything about the the quote

let it just sit there in the sun for a while 

It's ok Bit only focus on the Incognito part. 

You seem to lack all situational awareness considering I said I was was being hyperbolic with the Murderers (Hernandez and Lewis) and toned it down to the complete crazed A-hole (Incognito) to make the point of how unlikeable Adams is. Instead much like @More Cowbell you clutch your pearls and assume some moral high ground.? Cool you can have it makes you look more like the d-bag you constantly defend.

I think it's your salty vag that should take some time and "just sit there in the sun for a while."

Like I said I don't "like" either player.  ?

A downvote from you is like an upvote in my book

1378191797_download(1).jpeg.e8df8c3cbaa3d6745d94a3cf17dc82f0.jpeg

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

is it though? 

the Steelers were public in their desire to wear Bell out to the tune of another 400+ touch year

everyone knew they were going to ruin him, that year before he sat out 

he got a year off for his body and the Jets gave him enough money it almost covers the year he lost 

plus he still has feeling in his legs 

Jets gave him money, bidding against themselves and he was signed by the worst gm of the last decade.

On 7/1/2020 at 11:11 AM, Samtorobby47 said:

Why wouldn’t we care anymore?

Because most of us have been relieved of the delusion that players care about the teams we root for, that they are as loyal to a franchise as we are, that a "team" is anything more than a group of men wearing the same laundry on a Sunday afternoon.  The dew is off the lily.  And for many of us the magic is sadly gone.

31 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Oh yeah, the I was being funny defense because now I realize  how retarded it was for me to say that.

Ok let's play that game.

O my God you used the R- word ..... I mean how classless are you?

*Gasp*

Let me go find my pearls

On 7/1/2020 at 9:42 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

He must be a Jamal Adams follower on social media.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chris-jones-looking-for-20m-per-year-or-i-won-t-play

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2020 10:29 PM

•  
  •  

Chris Jones looking for $20M per year 'or I won't play'

f6b7udz3xm3jglfakq9q.svg

Grant Gordon

NFL.COM DIGITAL CONTENT PRODUCER

Standout defensive lineman Chris Jones and his Super Bowl-champion Chiefs have until July 15 to work out a long-term deal.

However, if Jones, who the team applied the franchise tag to in March, doesn't get the deal he's desiring, it might be well past mid-July until Kansas City sees the uber-talented DL again.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported Tuesday on NFL Total Access that Jones has "always viewed himself as a $20 million-plus" per-year player, but that the Chiefs have never seen him in such a light and have never offered him that substantial an amount. Hence, Garafolo added there is "a lot of work to be done," if a long-term pact is to be had and Garafolo's not confident it will happen.

Jones, a 2019 Pro Bowler, replied via Twitter to a reply to a video of Garafolo's report that a holdout might be in store.

"Or I won't play. Le'Veon Bell told me about this," Jones' tweet read.

Bell famously -- or infamously, pending on your viewpoint or rooting interest -- held out all of the 2018 season while he was with the Pittsburgh Steelers seeking a lofty contract. He was eventually released and signed a lucrative deal with the New York Jets.

Jones, 25, is set to make $16.1 million during the 2020 season on the franchise tag and currently there are only two defensive tackles making north of $20 million annually, per Over the Cap, and that's the Rams' Aaron Donald and the Colts' DeForest Buckner.

Jones, whose 87.6 grade via Pro Football Focus was the seventh-best among interior defensive linemen in 2019, is a four-year pro who really burst upon the scene in 2018 when he tallied 15.5 sacks. Over the last two seasons and 29 games played, he has 24.5 sacks. Aside from his statistics, though, Jones can play all along the line and impacts a game like few others.

Should he hold out, not only would it likely be a blow to the chemistry of the reigning Super Bowl champions, it would also take one of the most talented young defensive players in the league off the field.

It seems as though the honeymoon may well be over for the champs.

S7ml.gif

24 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah right. That's  why you keep responding, because the last thing you want to do is defend yourself. 

I keep responding because thats my idea of a fun game ..... I went back and forth with @Defense Wins Championships for two weeks because it was fun knowing I could take 15 seconds out of my day with a post directed at him and he would post an essay sized response taking 20 minutes out of his. ? That's internet fun in my book. Nothing like intentionally wasting the time of those who have no impulse control.

And ummmm you still haven't apologized to the disabled community for your hateful use of the R-word you ableist swine.

• Haha 1