Training Camp Tweets 8/30 Green and White Scrimmage (jk it’s just a practice) Edition

kdels62

14 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

You are downplaying the rise and potential of Smith, and Perriman put together a monster 2nd half of the season seemingly finally blossoming into the player he was drafted and perceived to be.  First week of camp he was lighting it up and showing quick and early chemistry with Darnold.  You are downplaying his value and potential.  Mims is the unknown, fair, but. he's a first round talent that looked the part right up to when he went down with the hamstring...

The riise of Smith?  He never had more than 3 catches in an NFL game.  Never had more than 40 yards receiving in an NFL game.  Never caught a TD pass as a Jet.  22 career receptions.  He is an unproven young guy with potential.  

As to Perriman, he was a first round bust who had a great 5 game stretch.  I don't know who he is.  The guy who closed out the season looking like an All Pro, or the guy who underwhlemed in the first 3 1/2 seasons of his NFL career.

We came into the season needing Smith to take the next step and prove himself to be a viable NFL WR and we needed Perriman to be closer to the Dec 2019 guy than who he had been prior to that.  I said we needed everything to break right to have a solid WR corp.  I stand by that statement.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

I hear you guys about the WR situation, but lets not forget what a terrible situation Maccagnan left the organization. Douglas flipped, at least, 4 of last year's starters at OL. With the Jets cap situation next year, a bucket load of picks and a deep draft at WR, Jets could easily start Mims, Rondale Moore and Allen Robinson next year at WR. 

I hear ya, you’re not wrong.   But we WILL debate the merits of Rondale Moore in the future though...Lol.  

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

Leeewwwwww....  Man, I'm good...  How the hell are you?   I just may have to make the trip down to Miami and rekindle old times since they appear to be letting fans in down there!  Hope you are well pal!!  On the golf course still?

All is looking up Rob, on the road to a transplant, got over stuff enough to get in a weekly round of golf and would love to catch a game in Miami.  Hows the family, following you guys on FB, love seeing Bobby, thank him for his service, proud of him, sure you are buddy.  Miss you guys

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

The riise of Smith?  He never had more than 3 catches in an NFL game.  Never had more than 40 yards receiving in an NFL game.  Never caught a TD pass as a Jet.  22 career receptions.  He is an unproven young guy with potential.  

But at the same time we'd kill to get a Robinson or Pringle from KC

36 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Lawrence is hyped for sure. But his 1st 2 years are statistically better than Peytons last 2. 

We have invested in Sam and I expect 4 yrs minimum to evaluate.

If TL is there? We have to pick him. 

Statistics from 2 different eras of Football... The eye test in my opinion... He is not in the same camp as Peyton. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Truth is that Sam is currently the guy, but if we're bad enough to get Lawrence then that means that Darnold probably sucked hard. So obviously you take him. TL is a pipe dream unless Darnold blows hard. Even if he kinda sucks it's likely that we're not in a position to take Trevor. In my eyes it would take a regression from last year which had everything that could've gone wrong go wrong for him for our team to be in bottom 3 territory. 

I wouldn't take Lance and Fields over Darnold as of right now though so then this situation of "meh" QB play lands us in godawful QB purgatory. I've said from the beginning that Darnold being below average is worse for our franchise than him being godawful. He's already proven to be better than godawful, so let's just hope that we don't get trapped in purgatory and he lights it up. 

interesting wayto put it...

37 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

I thought Lawrence had a big regression last season. Like Sam his last year the hype is so strong you expect him to still be the top guy when we get to draft season anyway but if he looks less than himself again...or gets hurt like Tua?

But anyway, this season is gonna be weird. We may do well or poorly entirely based on who we and our opponents have available thanks to COVID and injury. Homefields will be of lesser value with empty stadiums. 

And the draft will be a total crap shoot with so many top players not participating this year at all...

I agree Lawrence regressed last year and I just don't see the hype... And I hate how all jets fans are so jaded that they are always looking for the next 'great white hype'

Just now, Skeptable said:

I agree Lawrence regressed last year and I just don't see the hype... And I hate how all jets fans are so jaded that they are always looking for the next 'great white hype'

I remember all the Jets fans screaming for us to get Darnold, the next great college QB after his shoot out with Penn State in the Rose Bowl

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

what happens if the jets suck this year, they trade up for lawrence and then he looks meh as well.  at what point do we not blame the qbs?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I remember all the Jets fans screaming for us to get Darnold, the next great college QB after his shoot out with Penn State in the Rose Bowl

Yes, we were going to have to tank the season or trade 4 #1s for him or something.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

what happens if the jets suck this year, they trade up for lawrence and then he looks meh as well.  at what point do we not blame the qbs?

If Sam is bad and they are drafting 8th or so I wouldn't give up more draft capital to get another hyped qb... I would use the draft picks to improve the subpar roster and let the QB be the final piece like Sanchez should have been... More OL... More skill positions and then if he still fails in his 4th year you start looking for the final piece and maybe use the 2 1st picks in 2022 to move up and draft him... 

No matter what happens there is no scenario that I see that the Jets should draft a QB next year at all... Period stop

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The success or failure of this team is 100% on Darnold’s shoulders this year and everyone is anxious about that fact. Having to draft a QB next year would be soul-crushing for everyone.

Pretty much. Especially when you see some of these brilliant flashes & you feel like he’s really on the verge of putting it together. You really don’t wanna hear anything negative, even thought some of it is definitely fair.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I'm already kinda there with Darnold. I'm pretty much convinced if he'd been drafted by a good team they'd be talking about him as a franchise guy.

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I absolutely hate PFF with all my heart.. Worst part is when internet geeks on Twitter use it as the Bible for football debates.

“Sam Darnold completed the most touchdowns in the NFL while under pressure (10)” - PFF

”Sam Darnold’s rating under pressure is 64th in the NFL” - PFF

Probably because he was under pressure on nearly every snap.  Thus making that 10 TD / 13 INT ratio under pressure not look so good....

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

The sense of urgency is definitely what’s missing.  It’s been missing since parcels came and brought in his guys and drafted key.  Nobody in this organization wants to go balls out and fix the offfense.

He drafted Coles Wayne and KJ he got from Kotite.

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Look I hope I'm wrong and JD is committed to building around Sam.  Taking Fields or Lance, when they both need some serious seasoning, is a nightmare scenario for me.  Especially when you consider that they will be thrust into the same situation Sam is currently in.

The WR scenario is abysmal and Douglas deserves full blame for it.  We're officially 14 days away from the season and this is what we're putting on the field?  It's gonna be ugly.

FULL blame?  F*ck that.  

mike-maccagnan-1.jpg?quality=80&strip=al

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

god, leave the 49ers out of it FFS...  on healthy day, would have Deebo, Hurd, Ayiuk, Taylor, Pettis, kittle etc.  They invested a lot of capital into the skill position players. Injuries happen.

Our situation does NOT mirror theirs. We've invested ONE pick into skill position players around Sam. We've got NOTHING behind our "signature" signing of a Perriman. Yea that guy who's played now on 4 teams in 3 years. 

Just no. 

No one ever argued Perriman was a "signature signing".  He's on a 1-year, $6.5M deal.  38 other WRs are getting paid more than him in 2020.

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

my understanding was that COVID would have MANDATORY reporting as COVID...   

i still think he jacked up his kidneys a bit

I wasn't sure if they mandatory reported or were like baseball and NHL where it was up to the players.

Maybe a bout of rhabdomyolysis or something?

2 hours ago, JetsRay said:

3 of our top WR's are injured with minor injuries, they happen, they had no offseason, it's been two friggin weeks.  This is not a "OMG what the hell is JD doing" thing, this is 3 damn players at the top of the depth chart at one position thing.  People need to relax.  What GM in the league is going to make roster decisions before camp starts to guard against multiple players going down at one position?  The answer is none, the panic and hysteria is stupid!

Yep.  We could have brought back Robby in addition to Perriman, AND drafted a WR in round 4, and the WR group would still suck right now.

People need to chill the f**k out.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I believe this as well.  Word on the street in Pittsburgh is JuJu could be on his way out.  If there is even a fraction of a chance, then JD has to be as aggressive as he's ever been to get that done.

This I'll agree with.  The Jets need to take advantage of that loaded upcoming 2021 WR FA class.  Making a move like this ahead of time would be prudent.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I’ll apologize in advance for Trevor not becoming a Jet.   For the same reason DeAndre Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, Mike Williams, Deshaun Watson and Tee Higgins never became a Jet, Trevor will not as well.  I’m a jinx to any of the elite Clemson talent, instead I am burdened with the Charone Peake’s, Jordan Leggett’s and going back a while the Justin Miller’s of the world becoming a Jet.  My fault fellas, I’m very, very sorry.  

Tajh Boyd

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

If Sam is bad and they are drafting 8th or so I wouldn't give up more draft capital to get another hyped qb... I would use the draft picks to improve the subpar roster and let the QB be the final piece like Sanchez should have been... More OL... More skill positions and then if he still fails in his 4th year you start looking for the final piece and maybe use the 2 1st picks in 2022 to move up and draft him... 

No matter what happens there is no scenario that I see that the Jets should draft a QB next year at all... Period stop

not an unreasonable pov.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one ever argued Perriman was a "signature signing".  He's on a 1-year, $6.5M deal.  38 other WRs are getting paid more than him in 2020.

All of this anger and frustration, misplaced or not, surrounding the calibre of talent, the strategies to get weapons on offense, prioritize the O, etc etc; is all symptomatic of one core fear. It’s really simple:

I really really really want Sam Darnold to work. For my mental health and indirectly my family’s. I need to believe he’s being set up for success. Quarterbacks aren’t cars. It’s not as simple as just switching the driver/coach. Without the right pit crew working on it, it’ll end up in the scrapheap. And then he’ll just be another name of what could’ve been

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

fear. It’s really simple:

I really really really want Sam Darnold to work. For my mental health and indirectly my family’s.

amen. what passes as me hating is me scared af that we whiffed ... again.

no more, no less.

there is no doubt he's a really good kid. got his head on straight.