Training Camp Tweets 8/30 Green and White Scrimmage (jk it’s just a practice) Edition

kdels62

2 hours ago, Lith said:

The riise of Smith?  He never had more than 3 catches in an NFL game.  Never had more than 40 yards receiving in an NFL game.  Never caught a TD pass as a Jet.  22 career receptions.  He is an unproven young guy with potential.  

As to Perriman, he was a first round bust who had a great 5 game stretch.  I don't know who he is.  The guy who closed out the season looking like an All Pro, or the guy who underwhlemed in the first 3 1/2 seasons of his NFL career.

We came into the season needing Smith to take the next step and prove himself to be a viable NFL WR and we needed Perriman to be closer to the Dec 2019 guy than who he had been prior to that.  I said we needed everything to break right to have a solid WR corp.  I stand by that statement.

Don't be so myopic.  Smith came on late last year, was getting more reps, and was obviously looking good in the off-season during workouts in addition to what he showed on the practice field last year and then in games late to suggest he was a player the team felt good about.  Should we expect him to become a Julio Jones, of course not, but a solid rotation player, yes.

And again, you're still selling Perriman way short.  We all know what he has been for the start of his career, for some players, the bulb goes on late, the game slows down, etc...  He will be our #2 at the least.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Brady made a living off it when they ditched Moss and went to a drink and dunk offense.

It can definitely work.

Montana made a living off of it too, especially when his arm weakened.

Steve Young made it to the HOF that was

Peyton for the last big part of his career went mostly shorter yardage

All won when they went short

In fact all but Young are at the top of every discussion on who is the GOAT at the position.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Beat me to it. 

I'm not down on JD.  I just think he botched this season when it came to addressing WR.

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Both can be true. JD can be good at this job, but still missed the boat when it came to addressing WRs.

(more of a general statement) it doesn't need to be JD is either 100% amazing or the worst FFS... yes, he's given us a glimpse of true competency with trades and a good draft... he also still has areas of his game to work on. The WR situation was not handled properly, period. 

Fair enough.  In hindsight, it's fair to wish he did more.  I'm just not sure what that would have been.  Anyone else we signed, traded for or drafted could just as easily have been hurt as the guys we got.  Aiyuk is out with the same injury as Mims and on pretty much the same timetable.  [Edit: and I just read that Reagor is out 2-4 weeks with a bad shoulder].  Had Mims OR Perriman been healthy, I think we'd be far less worried about the position right now.  It would still be thin, yes, but not 5-alarm fire, thin.

I'm not blindly defending JD.  Looking at how White is performing right now, I think Morgan was probably a luxury pick that could have been better used on a WR.  But there's some hindsight there as well.  Morgan looks good, but so does White from what we've seen.  Had White stunk up camp, the Morgan pick would look pretty damned good.

Back to the WRs, I just think we got hit with a nearly perfect storm of injuries that I'm not sure is reasonable to presume any GM should have been prepared for.  If you disagree, then you have to hold John Lynch just as responsible for their situation.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Trevor Lawrence not only didn't regress, he accounted for 45 Total TDs and 8 turnovers in 2019, improving from 31 TDs and 4 Turnovers from 2018.  That's a pretty big jump.

It blows Sam's junior year out of the water.

Guys.  We can all love what we have, but Trevor is legitimately the best QB prospect since Luck.  The National Championship from last year is the first game the kid has lost since Pop-Warner.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Trevor Lawrence not only didn't regress, he accounted for 45 Total TDs and 8 turnovers in 2019, improving from 31 TDs and 4 Turnovers from 2018.

Guys.  We can all love what we have, but Trevor is legitimately the best QB prospect since Luck.  The National Championship from last year is the first game the kid has lost since Pop-Warner.

How bad do we have to be to get the #1 pick?

42 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Trevor Lawrence not only didn't regress, he accounted for 45 Total TDs and 8 turnovers in 2019, improving from 31 TDs and 4 Turnovers from 2018.  That's a pretty big jump.

Justin Fields was better than Lawrence last year statistically, against much better competition. What makes Lawrence head and shoulders above him? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Justin Fields was better than Lawrence last year statistically, against much better competition. What makes Lawrence head and shoulders above him? 

Look, Fields is an excellent prospect as well.  He isn't better than Lawrence, as of today.  Diving into the tape, looking into what reads they're asked to make, and how they handle pro concepts, it's not even remotely close.  Lawrence is more advanced.  When they played head to head, Trevor outplayed him by a country mile.

Fields plays in a system that helped Dwayne Haskins account for 54 TDs.  He may not even be the second best pro prospect if Trey Lance takes a big step. If shiny statistics were the only thing that mattered, Geno Smith would have been "can't miss".

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Here's the way I see it. We have had an extraordinary run of bad luck with injuries at WR but it could be worse. Smith could be back by week 3 or 4. Mims is already jogging, and Perriman should be fine. But as the injuries mount the Jets are doing the right thing and not rushing anyone back. I think we will in the end be OK at WR. I am not going to be all negative about it.

To be honest the sprained ankle for Perrine concerns me more as we are dreadfully weak at RB IMO. I think Bell will be the same as Bell last year and Frank Gore is the most durable running back ever, passing Curtis, but how long does he maintain his speed when the hits start coming. 40 year old bodies just don't heal well. Polian said that Hershel Walker could probably still rush for 100 yards in a game but his body would just not recover. 

If Mims and Perriman come back and Vyncint around week 4 I still think overall we are still stronger at WR than last year, and I do think our OL will be better.

THe negativity here is awful. I still think the Jets can win the division, and the Jets are not alone with WR injuries, the lack of an offseason program is definitely showing up.

Be a whining troll or a fan, your choice.

YUP!

IMG_2511.JPG

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Brady made a living off it when they ditched Moss and went to a drink and dunk offense.

It can definitely work.

Exactly.  Not sure why so many think going to Crowder over and over until they stop us is a bad thing.  

There are two gimmies in the NFL:  Dink and dunk underneath passes and quarterback scrambles always get cheap yardage. So take it. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Look, Fields is an excellent prospect as well.  He isn't better than Lawrence, as of today.  Diving into the tape, looking into what reads they're asked to make, and how they handle pro concepts, it's not even remotely close.  Lawrence is more advanced.  When they played head to head, Trevor outplayed him by a country mile.

Fields plays in a system that helped Dwayne Haskins account for 54 TDs.  He may not even be the second best pro prospect if Trey Lance takes a big step. If shiny statistics were the only thing that mattered, Geno Smith would have been "can't miss".

Trevor Lawrence plays in a system with lots of tough reads?  

I just want to be sure, stats matter when comparing Darnold and Lawrence, but not Fields and Lawrence?

Have you ever seen Trey Lance play?

14 hours ago, nycdan said:

Back to the WRs, I just think we got hit with a nearly perfect storm of injuries that I'm not sure is reasonable to presume any GM should have been prepared for.  If you disagree, then you have to hold John Lynch just as responsible for their situation.

Garbage.  

Theres about 6 pages you missed exploring your post about whether JD could have done more. There's a spectrum of answers/feelings on that one, but make no mistake, injuries are not what we're talking about.. Our #1 and #2 WRs would be no better than 3/4 on many other teams. The backend of OUR WRs wouldn't be on NFL teams, period. Healthy or not. 

Lynch has invested picks galore into giving his team weapons. To compare our two situations is prosimian in nature. If you think I'm dissapointed that Mims' hamstring is tight or Perriman's knee is bulky, then you need to go back to square 1.