Alarming Breakdown from Baldinger

SR24

21 minutes ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Wowwwww that’s a TD allllllll dayyyyy.

Hate to say it, but Josh Allen chucks that ball. Lamar Jackson chucks that ball. Fug, Fitzpatrick chucks that ball!!!

Sam Darnold a year ago throws that ball!!! Thats the point I’ve been trying to make this whole time!!

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

carr comment implies a qb who was good being ruined...

Carr was vastly overrated predraft. happens all the time. 

Mariota anybody?

Being Carr'd is just having your confidence ruined by an extremely poor situation. 

Carr undoubtedly had potential in there, he was the #1 pick. He just never recovered from being sacked 70 times. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get that Crowder was open and Darnold could have made the throw, but this guy keeps saying it is a scramble drill.  By definition that is a cluster **** and it sure as sh*t doesn't support OC over QB.

Over analyzed on both sides. 
Bottom line- no excuse to not make that completion. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

No, you can’t blame palmer.  

That's fine, but if you can't blame the guy that Darnold spends 90% of his time getting personally coached by then you can't blame Gase either.

2 things i saw yesterday were 1) the entire offense looked nervous, and i think they were nervous because they knew they were unprepared.

LOL.  Come on.  You "saw that they were nervous" through a 40" HDTV?  Maybe you are the mythical offensive guru.  Any chance you watched Kung Fu as a kid?

2) darnold will likely never be a true pocket passer, he clearly prefers throwing on the run and his best qbing will be improvisational.  Darnold will not reach his potential until he’s married with a coach who accepts this and tailors an offense around this premise.

Adam Gase knew exactly who the Jets young quarterback was before taking the job and if he felt he couldn't make it work to suit Darnold's skills he wouldn't have taken the job and would have gone elsewhere, Grasshopper.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

He's not a quarterback. And Gase is going to get fired for it. And while you're right that it is in a certain sense unfair, again, that was literally the job description.

I disagree.  I think Christopher Johnson is rightly committed to building a stable front office and stable coaching staff and building a successful team around those two areas.

The Jets biggest mistake since 1970 is this never-ending merry go round of head coaches and GM's and quarterbacks who are never in sync with each other and are always pressured into making knee-jerk overreactions to appease dumb fans.  For once I would like to try it the other way.  The right way.  And so we are.

Until Gase gets to pick his quarterback, he's not going anywhere.  Especially true if its clear that Darnold is not improving and is never getting a max deal from the Jets.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's fine, but if you can't blame the guy that Darnold spends 90% of his time getting personally coached by then you can't blame Gase either.

LOL.  Come on.  You "saw that they were nervous" through a 40" HDTV?  Maybe you are the mythical offensive guru.  Any chance you watched Kung Fu as a kid?

Adam Gase knew exactly who the Jets young quarterback was before taking the job and if he felt he couldn't make it work to suit Darnold's skills he wouldn't have taken the job and would have gone elsewhere, Grasshopper.

SAR I

I saw an unprepared offense making lots of mental errors early on.  It is reasonable to attribute this to nerves.  It’s also reasonable to conclude that darnold is not a traditional pocket passer and prefers to ad lib rather than stand in a spot and read defenses.  

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Where did I say he’s a bust? People have been talking about this play all day on here and before this angle of the play came out. Now we see this and it’s even worse, I’m sorry that Darnolds playing bad and people are talking about it. If I had it my way he would have thrown for 600 yards and 7 touchdowns and all of my draftkings lineups would have cashed too. Yet this is where we are and this is the territory this incompetent organization has dragged us and our #3 pick to it’s the sad reality. There’s still time to turn it around but Darnold needs to start playing better. 

Who said I said anything about you. I was referring to Baldingding. Take a chill pill. And Sam will be fine. But it’s pretty apparent it will take JD 2-3 years just to get this team competitive. 

Darnold a year ago makes that throw. I think Darnold two quarters earlier makes that throw but after the pick to Crowder earlier may have second guessed himself. 

It explains why he didn't throw it away though. He saw Crowder. He made a choice there. He didn't trust himself or Crowder or both on it. 

Fortunately, he has a chance in a week to show what he can do against even tougher opposition. Let's hope we see Sam bounce back. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

But, but, but, I thought he had nobody open to throw to all game.  He needs to be better.

NO excuses.  If he wants to make it in this league, he has to get his moxie back. 

It doesn't help that he has had two of the sh*ttiest NFL coaches and OC's in the history of the game.  When will THAT actually be understood by our owner?

11 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Darnold a year ago makes that throw. I think Darnold two quarters earlier makes that throw but after the pick to Crowder earlier may have second guessed himself. 

It explains why he didn't throw it away though. He saw Crowder. He made a choice there. He didn't trust himself or Crowder or both on it. 

Fortunately, he has a chance in a week to show what he can do against even tougher opposition. Let's hope we see Sam bounce back. 

Yes.  Darnold doesn’t trust his line, his wrs or himself, especially after interceptions.  

45 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Gone elsewhere?  More than likely, Gase took the only job that was offered to him. And if he fails here, he's almost certainly done as a HC for good.  

Gasehopper

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You have blamed Jordan Palmer at least three times in this thread but fail to note that Josh Allen was also there with theme and he put up 300 yards on Gregg Williams defense and showed the swagger of a seasoned veteran on when to hang in the pocket and when to scramble.  Gase has to take on some of the blame as well as Darnold does. 
As for your other comment that Gase would have gone elsewhere if he didn’t  think it would work with Darnold, I don’t think anyone else was knocking down his door to hire him. 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is possible he was a bit scared, but I agree.  This all came after the pathetic pick.  The real problem with the pick was that it was soft-tossed, not that he tried to fit it in.  I think people need to relax.  He has been up and down before.  I expected this game to suck.  It did not disappoint.

The problem is his ups are “average” and his downs are “worst in the league bad.”

3 hours ago, SR24 said:

This plays been talked about on here all day. Crowder being that open makes this play so much worse for Sam I didn’t even see it on tv. A gunslinger makes that throw and if Sams not in that mind set then we've got problems

Don't worry, according to some it was just a bad game.  No reason for concern. 

3 hours ago, Grandy said:

Peep this thread if you want. It shows how decimated his confidence and mojo is compared to his rookie year.

We complained about the Bates offense, and how we were starting guys like Elijah McGuire, and Andre Roberts. However Darnold was actually comfortable and looked like he would be something amazing. Gase has tried to choke him into being a QB he just isn't, and he refuses to change that one bit. His great natural feel and instinct is being killed before our eyes. All of what he does best is completely neutered by a guy who wants him to play like a pocket passer.

The stubbornness of Gase is profound. He's never had offensive success outside of the greatest passer of all time, but insists on forcing his static offense down the throat of so many guys with little to no adaptation to their talents.

This post is gross, no offense.  The excuse making for this kid is ridiculous. It's year 3. Gase is terrible but he can't control the terrible decision making and inaccuracy during the game. 

3 hours ago, Grandy said:

It's unfortunate to say the least. At one point he had decent mechanics, he had amazing maneuvering and confidence. It all just got shot. I was so friggin hyped to close out 2018, he was phenomenal down the stretch and showed everything. The moxy, the arm talent, the mobility, and accuracy. 

I still believe that he would be great if he went elsewhere either in the draft or ala Ryan Tannehill, but it's a shame to see his decline due to a complete lack of support on all fronts. We've completely Carr'd him.

How Jetsian. It just keeps happening over and over. It’s sickening 

21 minutes ago, Joejet said:

You have blamed Jordan Palmer at least three times in this thread but fail to note that Josh Allen was also there with theme and he put up 300 yards on Gregg Williams defense and showed the swagger of a seasoned veteran on when to hang in the pocket and when to scramble.  Gase has to take on some of the blame as well as Darnold does. 
As for your other comment that Gase would have gone elsewhere if he didn’t  think it would work with Darnold, I don’t think anyone else was knocking down his door to hire him. 

He put up numbers on piss poor CB play by Desir who was benched after giving up multiple 3rd and long first down plays.  Allen showed no such swagger and composure on both fumble plays, and had Darnold done that you would have berated him for it.  Once Desir was benched and the Jets D found their grove after their first stop, they were a different defense.  

The secondary definitely has a lot of room for improvement, as does the back 7 and really the entire defense.  

But it was week 1 against a quality opponent, on the road after no pre-season.

That said, the play Baldinger breaks down here on Darnold is abysmal, no defending it.  Darnold lost his head on that play, especially not throwing it out of bounds.  He's still young, he's still learning, but in no way should anybody be giving up on him.  He's shown far too much potential and has proven it already.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Many fans here won't agree but Danny boy is right on this one.

Darnold played bad and many mistakes were on him.  But this kid is in a bit of a tough spot.  We can only hope that, like last year, the Jets figure out a way to do the best with the limited weapons they have.

Nobody is asking him to be a miracle worker. He's being asked to make good decisions and to hit the open receiver.  The first 3 drives of the game were 3 and outs bc of him.  He missed open 1st down throws on each drive.  That's unacceptable in year 3

That video is in slow motion and wants you to focus on the receiver. If you watch darnold his "open" receiver is out of camera view before his feet are even set, the pocket is already collapsed and the view does not show us that there is no safety or Lb now covering the receiver. We all know darnold laid an egg on this game but let's not try to dig and knit pick?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

It was sickening as a Jets fan to watch the first 3 offensive series alone, what was worse was watching Kyler Murray playing against the 49’s defense. He was calm and purposeful. I know, I know we do not have Hopkins to throw to. I just wish we had a QB that believed in himself.
I am not looking forward to next Sunday...........

But I will suffer through it. 
I have been and will always be a Jets fan.

19 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

He put up numbers on piss poor CB play by Desir who was benched after giving up multiple 3rd and long first down plays.  Allen showed no such swagger and composure on both fumble plays, and had Darnold done that you would have berated him for it.  Once Desir was benched and the Jets D found their grove after their first stop, they were a different defense.  

The secondary definitely has a lot of room for improvement, as does the back 7 and really the entire defense.  

But it was week 1 against a quality opponent, on the road after no pre-season.

That said, the play Baldinger breaks down here on Darnold is abysmal, no defending it.  Darnold lost his head on that play, especially not throwing it out of bounds.  He's still young, he's still learning, but in no way should anybody be giving up on him.  He's shown far too much potential and has proven it already.

I never said anything about giving up on him.  Had you read my post I said that both Gase and Darnold have to take blame.  That was in response to Sar saying Gase wasn’t responsible that it should be blamed on Palmer.

That being said, between seeing ghosts last year, then throwing that lollipop interception into triple coverage, followed by the play that Baldinger highlighted shows that Sam has a lot to improve on. While we shouldn’t give up on him yet, he shouldn’t be anointed the chosen one yet either.