Sam Darnold is a bust

JustInFudge

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I saw nothing in this game that changes my opinion on Sammy. He's been stuck on a sh*t team, with a sh*t surrounding cast, and sh*t coaching. Sammy's decline in my opinion is the Jets fault. 

I continue to think the wise choice for the Jets is to hold on to Sammy and put him in a straight up QB competition next training camp. Give Sammy a tryout with a COMPETENT surrounding cast. The Jets have NOT done that up to date.

He’d have lost a QB competition this year if one was held.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

It's astounding the bar is set so low for this kid. Any game he's not a total catastrophe is proof that he could be a FQB with 'better weapons'.

The guy is ****in awful.

Bad roster, injuries and from everything you read the worst HC in the history of the NY Jets.   It's hard to swim in the deep end of the pool when you're wearing cement shoes.   

There is no proof that Sam could be an elite NFL QB.  There's no proof that he's a bust either.  There's anecdotal evidence on both sides of the equation.  Until there's a body, a gun and DNA, picking him out of a lineup isn't going to get a conviction.  

Put Sam on the Bench behind Montana for several years, give him a chance with one of the great HC/OC and offensive rosters in the NFL and make him wear the magical underwear of the Latter-Day Saints under his uniform and he might be the next Steve Young?   

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I don't see how you could label all 34 of his starts as subpar.   

This isn't even accounting for this years putrid stats, but he's ranked 30th and 32nd in the previous two years and on pace to match it again. Not sure what's above par here

Passing

Year Team G GS PaYd Comp Att C% Plays NetYd NY/P TD Int DYAR Rk YAR Rk DVOA Rk VOA Rk
2019 NYJ 13 13 3024 273 441 61.9% 475 2819 5.93 19 13 -290 32 -129 30 -20.4% 31 -15.2% 29
2018 NYJ 13 13 2865 239 414 57.7% 445 2653 5.96 17 15 -110 30 -139 30 -15.2% 30 -16.2% 30
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Icer said:

This isn't even accounting for this years putrid stats, but he's ranked 30th and 32nd in the previous two years and on pace to match it again. Not sure what's above par here

Passing

Year Team G GS PaYd Comp Att C% Plays NetYd NY/P TD Int DYAR Rk YAR Rk DVOA Rk VOA Rk
2019 NYJ 13 13 3024 273 441 61.9% 475 2819 5.93 19 13 -290 32 -129 30 -20.4% 31 -15.2% 29
2018 NYJ 13 13 2865 239 414 57.7% 445 2653 5.96 17 15 -110 30 -139 30 -15.2% 30 -16.2% 30

Changing the goalposts from every game is putrid to his cumulative is putrid is not the same thing.  Sam has provided limited evidence that he can perform and limited but growing evidence that he sucks.  Now calculate having the worst HC, the worst surrounding cast plus injuries and what does 30th or 32nd cumulatively mean for 1 player on a team with lots of moving parts?

Sam has had several games where he has had very good QBR.  Not lots of but several.  (Lots meaning more than 4, several meaning more than 2) Sam has never had a good supporting cast or coaching.  (Never meaning that's what a majority of fans and pundits think but who really knows for sure) Again that's anecdotal.  Gase is held in high regard by the owner of the Jets and Sar 1 again anecdotal.  

All I'm saying is Sam with the 85 bears might very well be good enough.

18 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Changing the goalposts from every game is putrid to his cumulative is putrid is not the same thing.  Sam has provided limited evidence that he can perform and limited but growing evidence that he sucks.  Now calculate having the worst HC, the worst surrounding cast plus injuries and what does 30th or 32nd cumulatively mean for 1 player on a team with lots of moving parts?

Sam has had several games where he has had very good QBR.  Not lots of but several.  (Lots meaning more than 4, several meaning more than 2) Sam has never had a good supporting cast or coaching.  (Never meaning that's what a majority of fans and pundits think but who really knows for sure) Again that's anecdotal.  Gase is held in high regard by the owner of the Jets and Sar 1 again anecdotal.  

How am I changing the goalposts? I said he has had 30+ subpar games, which he does in fact have. Go pull up individual game stats if you want. I pulled an average because its easier. He has maybe 4-5 games where he has played above the league median in almost three entire years, that is pathetic. I agree that he's been saddled with a bad roster, and a terrible coach but his level of production has been abysmal. We should have higher standards for a QB selected #3 overall and stop washing away all responsibility from him

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Biggs said:

There is no proof that Sam could be an elite NFL QB.  There's no proof that he's a bust either.  

Other than, you know, him being statistically a bottom 3 QB three straight years, and 35-year old, one-foot-in-retirement/the grave Joe Flacco producing significantly better than him (6/3 TD:INT ratio) under the same exact roster/coaching circumstances.

He doesn't get a 3-year mulligan for performing poorly just because the Jets did him no favors.  All available evidence says he's a bust.  He's the same exact guy he was at USC, where he was a flawed prospect.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Bad QB's don't suddenly become good when you give them perfect circumstances.  They're just bad QB's playing with a good team.  Much like Mark Sanchez.  Was handing him a great team his first 2 years enough to make him good?  Of course not.  He was still a terrible QB.  And he went on to continue to be terrible long after leaving the Jets.

If Sam Darnold was the starting QB on the '85 Bears, Ditka would be doing everything in his power to replace him.

16 hours ago, TeddEY said:

He’d have lost a QB competition this year if one was held.

this would be correct. 

After watching Sam the past 2 games he changed his mechanics and is actually stepping into his throws and stepping into the pocket. With that being said there is still no telling how many wide open WR's he missed on the day which I'm sure videos will surface soon showing exactly what he missed. Just just can't explain away constantly missing wide open receivers and most here seem to leave that little stat (the most important stat) out of the argument.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Only one small problem here ... we are about as far away defensively from the 85 bears as Sam is being a good QB. He has too many flaws and his awareness is just terrible 

24 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Only one small problem here ... we are about as far away defensively from the 85 bears as Sam is being a good QB. He has too many flaws and his awareness is just terrible 

We're also 35 years away from the 85 Bears.  The league is different.  Suffocating defenses just aren't really a thing anymore.

45 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

But all we need is to reassemble today's equivalent to the 85 Bears. Seems simple enough. 

And then once we do that, Sam "might very well be good enough" (though good enough for what is left out). 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But all we need is to reassemble today's equivalent to the 85 Bears. Seems simple enough. 

And then once we do that, Sam "might very well be good enough" (though good enough for what is left out). 

Same 'ol story as with Sanchez and Geno. The Sanchez excuses were the most ridiculous seeing as we almost did put the '85 Bears D around him, league-best running game, and spent a fortune on wepweonmzz.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I want you on my jury if I'm ever tried for murder and the prosecutor has video evidence, DNA, fingerprints, 10 eye witnesses and the cops catch me fleeing to Mexico in the truck of a Buick with $10k and the murder weapon.

All I need is gloves that fit or I will acquit.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

this would be correct. 

After watching Sam the past 2 games he changed his mechanics and is actually stepping into his throws and stepping into the pocket. With that being said there is still no telling how many wide open WR's he missed on the day which I'm sure videos will surface soon showing exactly what he missed. Just just can't explain away constantly missing wide open receivers and most here seem to leave that little stat (the most important stat) out of the argument.

Berrios was coming open right in front of him on the 2dn strip sack.

but since he does not know how toi release the ball at or before the break he just hung on to it....

• 4 weeks later...

I say he is not a bust, as much as a project that did not pan out because he went #3.

He is a failed project imo.

RG3-ish.

RG3 was great at one point though..........

Sam would be solid on a team like SF, were he is like, the 6th best player on the field. Expecting him to be "The guy" aint gonna cut it......

I do think he has a decent run, and career after this. Sam is not a top 15 QB, that can takeover games. he is more Alex Smith like, just with more picks.....

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1