Albert Breer and other NFL news outlets: Keep an eye on Matt Campbell and Joe Brady, don’t expect Kubiak.

Mogglez

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, its the exact opposite.

You should be smart enough to see what's going on here.  The roster is the problem, past GM's are the problem, and the damage done in a decade of bad personnel decisions doesn't get fixed in 1.25 seasons.

Knee-jerkers are the ones who need to grow up.  "I'm angry so fire someone!" isn't the way to rebuild an organization from the ground up.  We are an expansion team.  Your head coach and GM need to work together as partners for 3 years minimum to hopefully get the Jets back to respectability.  Just because you think you're entitled to a winner after 10 years of losing doesn't mean that the team is ready to get there on your timetable.

SAR I

You thought the Jets were an expansion team yet you predicted them to win the division?

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

One name I never see mentioned from the college ranks is James Franklin at Penn State.  Not only did he do an incredible job at Vandy, he has brought Penn State back to being a perennial top 10 team.  He's succeeded at every tier job he's had and succeeded big.  He's had one cup of coffee in the NFL.  I would think he'd get more buzz than he does.

He’s making almost $7 million per year at PSU.   Any job in the NFL would be a big pay cut and I don’t think he has his eyes set on the NFL.   I agree that he would be a good “program builder”, but I’m not sure he’s looking to leave Happy Valley yet.  He has a really good gig there right now.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I legitimately don't get the hype about Campbell.   He's turned Iowa State into respectable, but that is in large part to his DC(a former HC at Toledo) creating a defensive scheme that combats Big 12 offenses.  Campbell is .500 in OOC games at Iowa State. Including a loss to an FCS school and getting blown out this year by a Sun Belt school.

Iowa State is very undisciplined and I just don't think he's that great of coach.  He made a great hire on his one DC that makes them unique, thus competitive in the Big 12, but I wouldn't count on the script repeating itself.

I agree on Campbell. Seems like a good guy, strong culture etc but that alone doesn’t win in the NFL. The other issue with Campbell is that he will need a good staff, especially OC as he doesn’t call his own plays. Rhule has been great this year with Brady but he wasn’t going to bring Brady here so it’s hard to say if the results would be the same here that he’s having in Carolina. 

• Upvote 1

Pass on both. We need a proven commodity at head coach. The Jets cannot afford to swing and miss again. We need a Parcells type hire. A big name who brings immediate credibility to this franchise that's hit rock bottom. Y'all know who I'm talking about. He played quarterback in the league, comes from a family of coaches, and is a better pro coach than college coach: Jim Harbaugh

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Icer said:

Matt Campbell turned us down for an interview a few years ago I thought? It must be a JD connection if he is being floated around as a possible candidate.

Apparently he turns down a lot of opportunites, not just the Jets:

After college, Campbell stayed within Ohio and took a job as a graduate assistant at Bowling Green State University from 2003–2004.[6] While at Bowling Green Scott Pioli, then the director of player personnel for the New England Patriots, offered Campbell an interview for a job at the team, but Campbell declined.[2] 

Toledo[edit]

Toledo promoted Campbell to offensive coordinator in 2010. Toledo made Campbell the permanent head coach at the end of 2011 when Beckman departed for the University of Illinois. He was 32 years old and the youngest head coach in the Football Bowl Subdivision.[8] Two weeks into the job, Toledo defeated Air Force in the Military Bowl.[2] Reportedly Campbell passed on a chance to serve on Urban Meyer's staff at Ohio State University.[9] Campbell coached four full seasons at Toledo: 2012–2015, amassing a record of 35–15.[4] The 2015 team peaked at No. 20 in the AP Poll, including a victory over Arkansas.[9]

46 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm not discrediting anything.  I said he has made them respectable.  It's in large part because of his DC.  That's quite simple.  Iowa State fans would say the same thing.

Yes, he should get credit for hiring Heacock.  Just like Orgeron should get credit for hiring Brady and Gene Chizik should get credit for hiring Gus Malzhan.  

Maybe he would be a home run and hire an equally capable staff in the NFL.  That's certainly possible.  It's equally possible he wouldn't.

I'll say this, I've watched Matt Campbell games more than anyone in this thread. Likely by a considerable margin.  If you think my opinion is sour grapes, that's fine.  I assure you it's not.

Saying that "you dont understand the hype and if it werent for his DC, he'd suck" isnt discrediting him?  lol   Not sure if he can recreate what he's done at Iowa St. but there is obviously enough confidence he can do it again or he wouldnt be getting NFL HC consideration, no? 

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I legitimately don't get the hype about Campbell.   He's turned Iowa State into respectable, but that is in large part to his DC(a former HC at Toledo) creating a defensive scheme that combats Big 12 offenses.  Campbell is .500 in OOC games at Iowa State. Including a loss to an FCS school and getting blown out this year by a Sun Belt school.

Iowa State is very undisciplined and I just don't think he's that great of coach.  He made a great hire on his one DC that makes them unique, thus competitive in the Big 12, but I wouldn't count on the script repeating itself.

Sounds right up the Jets alley! Think they pick the next big college coach just to flop in the NFL. 

47 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

One name I never see mentioned from the college ranks is James Franklin at Penn State.  Not only did he do an incredible job at Vandy, he has brought Penn State back to being a perennial top 10 team.  He's succeeded at every tier job he's had and succeeded big.  He's had one cup of coffee in the NFL.  I would think he'd get more buzz than he does.

Didn't Franklin 'ruin' our star quarterback?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

Its hard enough for an experienced NFL coach to take over a franchise and succeed. The list is endless of guys who were fantastic NFL position coaches or coordinators that were train wrecks at HC. Nick Saban came from LSU to the NFL and basically sucked a55. What does that tell you? 

Every team wants Kansas City coaches now. Before that it was New England. Look at how those New England coaches are working out? The GMs too.

If the Jets are lucky enough to land Trevor Lawrence, the next NYJ HC should be a guy with former NFL HC experience at running a successful program. If a Super Bowl appearance is on the resume that guy makes the short list. Like a Brian Billick, Jeff Fisher, Jim Harbaugh

Gross, gross, OK.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He just strikes me as a guy who's all about recruiting more than anything else. The fact that other coaches seem to despise him and think he's a used car salesman isn't encouraging either.

59 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Pass on both. We need a proven commodity at head coach. The Jets cannot afford to swing and miss again. We need a Parcells type hire. A big name who brings immediate credibility to this franchise that's hit rock bottom. Y'all know who I'm talking about. He played quarterback in the league, comes from a family of coaches, and is a better pro coach than college coach: Jim Harbaugh

I like how you have to say he is a better pro coach than college coach after he has been disappointing at  Michigan. 

Either way, I wouldn't mind Harbaugh. 

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Harbaugh would be a franchise transformative event similar to Parcells coming here in 1997

Problem is the Johnsons just aren’t smart enough to offer him the money and control he would need

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You thought the Jets were an expansion team yet you predicted them to win the division?

Back in July I believed that we would not be hit with a swath of injuries again, CJ Mosely would be back, Jamal would be back, Gregg's D would be one year smarter, Sam would continue his upwards arc, and the new draft class would replenish key positions that we lost.  That was July.  

You've asked me the same question 10 times in the past 5 days.  Don't ask me again.

SAR I

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So a University of Iowa fan doesn't like the Iowa State HC??? Got it

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Pretty much

I was one of the guys saying that I didn’t think Rhule should be the hire based on his lack of NFL experience.

Now in hindsight, I’d kill to have Rhule and Joe Brady working with Darnold.

There’s always some risk.

The part that was overlooked too often in my opinion, was that Matt was a true head coach. Not some guru coordinator getting the push by the collective community. This was a guy that was tried and true at building programs… That should’ve been number one priority for us

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

You should be smart enough to see what's going on here. 

No you should be smart enough throw in the towel on this juvenile game you’re playing. It’s insulting to what shred of dignity this jersey has left. Grow up. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

There’s always some risk.

The part that was overlooked too often in my opinion, was that Matt was a true head coach. Not some guru coordinator getting the push by the collective community. This was a guy that was tried and true at building programs… That should’ve been number one priority for us

But he'd "never work out" because he's a preacher, or something.  

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

You should be smart enough to see what's going on here.  The roster is the problem, past GM's are the problem, and the damage done in a decade of bad personnel decisions doesn't get fixed in 1.25 seasons.

Knee-jerkers are the ones who need to grow up.  "I'm angry so fire someone!" isn't the way to rebuild an organization from the ground up.  We are an expansion team.  Your head coach and GM need to work together as partners for 3 years minimum to hopefully get the Jets back to respectability.  Just because you think you're entitled to a winner after 10 years of losing doesn't mean that the team is ready to get there on your timetable.

SAR I

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Back in July I believed that we would not be hit with a swath of injuries again, CJ Mosely would be back, Jamal would be back, Gregg's D would be one year smarter, Sam would continue his upwards arc, and the new draft class would replenish key positions that we lost.  That was July.  

You've asked me the same question 10 times in the past 5 days.  Don't ask me again.

SAR I

Our injured players don't have catastrophic injuries.  In fact, our rookies will likely all get some experience this year. 

So to use injuries as part of your argument that "we would've won the division this year but now we're going to need 3 years" makes absolutely no sense.  I'll concede Mosley and Jamal as "unexpected" but I won't accept that they were that big of a difference.

If you want to admit you were wrong in your evaluations of GW and Sam, though, then maybe it's time for you to also admit that you were wrong about Gase.

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

So as you can see below,  5 days prior to the season,  you were saying the Jets were the best team in the division.  This is post Mosley opt out post Jamal trade. The rookies you mention were already either out for game 1 or on IR already. Vyncint Smith, Jeff Smith and Onwusar were already on IR. So the excuses you keep spitting out are nothing more than lies. It's pathetic and your shtick is pathetic. 

On 9/8/2020 at 10:31 PM, SAR I said:

This is going to be a thoroughly enjoyable season.  The delusion is that we're not the best team in the division when all evidence says we are.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Paradis said:

No you should be smart enough throw in the towel on this juvenile game you’re playing. It’s insulting to what shred of dignity this jersey has left. Grow up. 

I'm not playing any game.  If you don't like reading my personal opinions, don't read my posts.

SAR I

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

October 2020:  "We want Matt Campbell!"

Week 4 2021:  "FIRE CAMPBELL!"

Let's just skip the whole Campbell thing and figure out who you are going to be begging for in October 2021.  I'm sure he's coaching high school as we speak.

SORE I

31 thumbs down!!!  A new record for JN and SORE I!

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'm not playing any game.  If you don't like reading my personal opinions, don't read my posts.

SAR I

You're opinion on this one is too moronic to be real. Nobody, and I mean nobodyI, actually believes Gase is a good Head coach,

I don't care what our W-L standings are. This team is--

• Poorly motivated
  • Poorly coached
  • Poorly Managed
  • Poorly Represented
  • Poorly Performing

Be a better fan, and stop this charade. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, choon328 said:

So as you can see below,  5 days prior to the season,  you were saying the Jets were the best team in the division.  This is post Mosley opt out post Jamal trade. The rookies you mention were already either out for game 1 or on IR already. Vyncint Smith, Jeff Smith and Onwusar were already on IR. So the excuses you keep spitting out are nothing more than lies. It's pathetic and your shtick is pathetic. 

Post of the century Choon!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

Dan Campbell wouldn't even accept the offer to interview with the Jets last time, I'm not sure what has changed that would cause him to accept the invite now. The team is even worse. 

If we get the number one pick the job will be much more interesting to a lot of guys.  Otherwise, probably not so much.

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

So a University of Iowa fan doesn't like the Iowa State HC??? Got it

Yeah.   I mean they have so much success compared to Iowa and Campbell has never beaten Iowa in his tenure.  I'm just seething with rage so much I am trying to knock him down a few pegs to fans who aren't associated with either program. 

Or it's possible I know considerably more about him and his program than most do here, and I just don't see the transcendent coaching prospect. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Seems like you didn't predict anything accurately this year.  

• Upvote 1