Albert Breer and other NFL news outlets: Keep an eye on Matt Campbell and Joe Brady, don’t expect Kubiak.

Mogglez

56 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I’d be very excited if Matt Campbell was the next HC. From day 1 at Iowa State he has energized that program. His teams play smart and hard. And oddly, he somehow wins against teams that have more talented players than his team. Go figure. 

Why would Woody want to do that. It would make him look really really bad.

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

For the record, Matt Rhule is winning games, sans C-Mac, and with Teddy Bridgewater.... Roster's talent meter is mediocre at best. 

We fcked that up. Big Time. 

If I'm Matt Campbell - i don't take a call from anyone not named Joe Douglas, and only under the presumption that it's his call and his call only, and Matt gets to hire his staff. No fcking ands ifs or buts. 

Best WR core in the league led by the GOAT Robby "**** them Jet fans" Anderson.

I would go complete reach.  Former Jets player Scott Frost.  He hasn't turned around Nebraska yet but he came through the ranks turned around UCF.  

He was coached as a player by Walsh and Tom Osborne when he was a QB in college.  Parcells and BB while on the Jets when he was converted to safety in the pros from QB in college.  He played for the Bucks under Gruden and Mike Tomlin.

He was the WR coach under Kelly at Oregon and when Kelly left became the OC and developed Mariotta and won a national championship as the OC. In his 3 years as OC they were in the top 6 offensively and his QB won the Heisman. 

He put UCF on the map.  He hasn't been able to turn the ship in Nebraska in two years.  

I like his pedigree and his connection to the JETS.  Big reach but he's not a flash in the pan.  He came through the ranks and he's been successful everywhere.

• Upvote 1

Just now, maury77 said:

Dan Campbell wouldn't even accept the offer to interview with the Jets last time, I'm not sure what has changed that would cause him to accept the invite now. The team is even worse. 

Draft capital. Maybe Lawrence or his own choice of QB. Cap Space. No expectations so he can have time to rebuild. No Maccagnan. 

• Upvote 2

Its hard enough for an experienced NFL coach to take over a franchise and succeed. The list is endless of guys who were fantastic NFL position coaches or coordinators that were train wrecks at HC. Nick Saban came from LSU to the NFL and basically sucked a55. What does that tell you? 

Every team wants Kansas City coaches now. Before that it was New England. Look at how those New England coaches are working out? The GMs too.

If the Jets are lucky enough to land Trevor Lawrence, the next NYJ HC should be a guy with former NFL HC experience at running a successful program. If a Super Bowl appearance is on the resume that guy makes the short list. Like a Brian Billick, Jeff Fisher, Jim Harbaugh

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

For the record, Matt Rhule is winning games, sans C-Mac, and with Teddy Bridgewater.... Roster's talent meter is mediocre at best. 

If I'm Matt Campbell - i don't take a call from anyone not named Joe Douglas, and only under the presumption that it's his call and his call only, and Matt gets to hire his staff. No fcking ands ifs or buts. 

The Johnsons (actually it's all Woody -- Chris is just his flunkie) will never let him control his own staff.  Forget it.  

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

Pretty much

I was one of the guys saying that I didn’t think Rhule should be the hire based on his lack of NFL experience.

Now in hindsight, I’d kill to have Rhule and Joe Brady working with Darnold.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

We're only getting a retread unless we get Trevor and dupe somebody who wants to work with him to come here.. No coach we want is getting near this franchise otherwise. Why would they? I don't even think Trevor should agree to come here. If he was my kid I wouldn't let him

Doug Pederson, baby

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Oh, so the Jets now think that perhaps Matt Rhule was responsible for good decision-making in his coordinator hiring?

Huh... weird.

It would be priceless for the Jets to hire one of Rhule’s assistants after cutting off talks because he wanted to hire his own assistants. ? 

• Upvote 4

The future of the NFL is the college game.

More athletic QBs.  Younger players overall.  Players spend less time in the NFL-fewer big second contracts that often don't work out, fewer long-term injuries.  

We need a coach that can relate to younger players and can come up with game plans they can understand.  

At any level of organization, managing and relating to people is of critical importance for any leader.  Gase just does not do that.

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Dan Campbell wouldn't even accept the offer to interview with the Jets last time, I'm not sure what has changed that would cause him to accept the invite now. The team is even worse. 

None of this sh*t is real.  Pure click bait rumor speculation, no truth to it, someone just had a thought, posted it and called it news.

Not saying but just saying, I brought up Matt Campbell the other day in a thread, I swear sometimes these guys get material off boards.  They know there is some juice behind it with the fanbase and float as a development and boom, it's a hot topic. 

• Sympathy 1

I legitimately don't get the hype about Campbell.   He's turned Iowa State into respectable, but that is in large part to his DC(a former HC at Toledo) creating a defensive scheme that combats Big 12 offenses.  Campbell is .500 in OOC games at Iowa State. Including a loss to an FCS school and getting blown out this year by a Sun Belt school.

Iowa State is very undisciplined and I just don't think he's that great of coach.  He made a great hire on his one DC that makes them unique, thus competitive in the Big 12, but I wouldn't count on the script repeating itself.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I legitimately don't get the hype about Campbell.   He's turned Iowa State into respectable, but that is in large part to his DC(a former HC at Toledo) creating a defensive scheme that combats Big 12 offenses.  Campbell is .500 in OOC games at Iowa State. Including a loss to an FCS school and getting blown out this year by a Sun Belt school.

Iowa State is very undisciplined and I just don't think he's that great of coach.  He made a great hire on his one DC that makes them unique, thus competitive in the Big 12, but I wouldn't count on the script repeating itself.

Is part of being a HC not hiring the best possible staff you can find?  The guy took over a program that was good for 2/3 wins a year and put them in the national spotlight.

Bonkers to discredit him for that unless your in state hate is showing.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Is part of being a HC not hiring the best possible staff you can find?  The guy took over a program that was good for 2/3 wins a year and put them in the national spotlight.

Pretty much. Finding a college coach who turned around a program is essentially what the Jets need. Look at the Jets as a college program who's coming off a 5 year recruiting freeze. Everything needs to be flushed and started at ground zero. Worrying about the potential relationship with Douglas is silly, dont enforce those parameters. Get a program builder and let him do everything.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm not discrediting anything.  I said he has made them respectable.  It's in large part because of his DC.  That's quite simple.  Iowa State fans would say the same thing.

Yes, he should get credit for hiring Heacock.  Just like Orgeron should get credit for hiring Brady and Gene Chizik should get credit for hiring Gus Malzhan.  

Maybe he would be a home run and hire an equally capable staff in the NFL.  That's certainly possible.  It's equally possible he wouldn't.

I'll say this, I've watched Matt Campbell games more than anyone in this thread. Likely by a considerable margin.  If you think my opinion is sour grapes, that's fine.  I assure you it's not.

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

There's a good chance Gase will be coaching high school after the Jets fire him.

That's not funny, it's actually tragic.  The Jets are known as a terrible destination that ruins careers.  We need someone to come out of this program successfully.  In NFL circles we're the geniuses that couldn't retain Belichick, punted Carroll prematurely, and gave up on the hottest coaching candidates of 2020, Todd Bowles and Brian Schottenheimer.

SAR I

Worth noting in that segment from Breer if you listen to it...he mentions Campbell and Brady but goes on to say that he wouldn’t be surprised if it’s someone from college because Joe D has a lot of ties there.

Interesting that Brady was the only NFL name and he’s a 1st year OC known for his college career.

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

at this point, it's not funny. It's sad. 

Grow the fck up. 

No, its the exact opposite.

You should be smart enough to see what's going on here.  The roster is the problem, past GM's are the problem, and the damage done in a decade of bad personnel decisions doesn't get fixed in 1.25 seasons.

Knee-jerkers are the ones who need to grow up.  "I'm angry so fire someone!" isn't the way to rebuild an organization from the ground up.  We are an expansion team.  Your head coach and GM need to work together as partners for 3 years minimum to hopefully get the Jets back to respectability.  Just because you think you're entitled to a winner after 10 years of losing doesn't mean that the team is ready to get there on your timetable.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's not funny, it's actually tragic.  The Jets are known as a terrible destination that ruins careers.  We need someone to come out of this program successfully.  In NFL circles we're the geniuses that couldn't retain Belichick, punted Carroll prematurely, and gave up on the hottest coaching candidates of 2020, Todd Bowles and Brian Schottenheimer.

SAR I

Like  you once said about the crappier teams on our schedule, High School football is more Adam Gase's speed.