Rex redeaux

rangerous

Rex should not be head coach. No good coach will come here. If you want nostalgia and to hire a coach, hire Schottenheimer with Rex as DC.

The Jets won’t be able to hire anyone good so if they are stuck settling, they might as well do something fun like this. I can see Rex humbling himself in this situation and working under Schotty, who has a longer run in him than Rex due to age. Sanchez was pretty crappy so maybe it wasn’t all Schotty after seeing how atrocious this team has been since he was here. Beggars can’t be choosers and this can help attract players in FA at least. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The Todd Bowles time sucked and the Adam Gase time sucks more. 

All of the recent coaches have sucked, in part, because the gms couldn’t draft good players. As has been noted on this site for years, neither idzik or Mac made good 2nd round and later draft picks , Maye excluded.  I don’t know what Tanny did to get launched but it seems like it was clashing with Rex. Give Douglas or whoever the gm is to keep Rex in check and he might succeed.  And, Rex does have a Clemson connection.

maybe he wouldnt be the best choice but where are the larger than life former hcs and then where are the college coaches or coordinators that can do the job.

10 hours ago, rangerous said:

I don’t thinkI’ve been a supporter of Rex returning as coach, he ran a circus, but it does seem like he could motivate the players a lot better than most. Put him with a gm who has a real plan to build and maintain a team and maybe Rex would be better.  At the very least he’d distract the media and talking heads away from the team and let them around to the business of practicing and playing.  Is a Douglas -Rex pairing viable?

Remember the thread last week asking us what would be the breaking point for you to personally say "I'm out" regarding the Jets? You just described it.

11 hours ago, k-met57 said:

You Rex lovers do realize that he ran Buffalo into the ground after leaving here right? How’d they do after he left?

He developed Tyrod Taylor and moved on from EJ Manuel and built the foundation that got them to the playoffs for the first time in 30 years.  McDermott is riding his coattails.  He was 1 game under .500 there taking over a disaster of a team.  Knocked the Jets out of making the playoffs (swept them that year and the Jets were pretty good).

With a proper GM, Rex is a G,

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, JiF said:

He developed Tyrod Taylor and moved on from EJ Manuel and built the foundation that got them to the playoffs for the first time in 30 years.  McDermott is riding his coattails.  He was 1 game under .500 there taking over a disaster of a team.  Knocked the Jets out of making the playoffs (swept them that year and the Jets were pretty good).

With a proper GM, Rex is a G,

Bring him back! Rex is a Jet through and through.

source.gif

12 hours ago, k-met57 said:

You Rex lovers do realize that he ran Buffalo into the ground after leaving here right? How’d they do after he left?

In fairness, Rex tried turning a 4 - 3 Bills team into a 3 - 4 team IIRC.

Rex did not even get 2 full NFL seasons.

Rex 15 wins - 16 losses

McDermott 29 wins - 25 losses.

Rex goes 8 - 8 and 7 - 8 and get fired

McDermott goes 9 - 7 and 6 -10 and is a hero.

Rex had his faults, but he was also good to great in other areas. 

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Rex Ryan era was good times. 

No one can deny this, 

The NY Jets were contenders. 

yep funny watching rex haters talk about how gase was/is the answer and joe d is some great secret master plan creator

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

We haven't had a decent team since Rex Ryan. 

We haven’t had a decent team *because of* Rex Ryan. It’s because of Rex that we were forced to hire Idzik. It’s because of the dysfunction of Idzik and Rex that we ended up settling for Maccagnan. It’s because of Maccagnan that we have zero talent. Rex Ryan is a virus who will never, ever coach again. The only reason Buffalo has bounced back at all is because they cut the infection off in 18 months and saved themselves from going septic.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, rangerous said:

I don’t thinkI’ve been a supporter of Rex returning as coach, he ran a circus, but it does seem like he could motivate the players a lot better than most. Put him with a gm who has a real plan to build and maintain a team and maybe Rex would be better.  At the very least he’d distract the media and talking heads away from the team and let them around to the business of practicing and playing.  Is a Douglas -Rex pairing viable?

I've suggested this a few times.  Rex is a good in-game coach, face of the franchise, media man and motivator, but he is a piss poor administrator and even worse as defacto GM.

Rex can work well as a team's HC and DC, BUT

1. There must be a VERY strong GM that handles all roster decisions and drafting.  Rex does not get his way.  He can have input over what type of players he likes, IE versatile 3 technique lineman and OLB's, but no way does he get to run the draft or decide on FA moves. 

2. There must be a highly qualified OC that is left unfettered by Rex meddling.  This would be ensured by the strong GM.

If you could set it up that way, it would be successful and a lot of fun too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

We haven’t had a decent team *because of* Rex Ryan. It’s because of Rex that we were forced to hire Idzik. It’s because of the dysfunction of Idzik and Rex that we ended up settling for Maccagnan. It’s because of Maccagnan that we have zero talent. Rex Ryan is a virus who will never, ever coach again. The only reason Buffalo has bounced back at all is because they cut the infection off in 18 months and saved themselves from going septic.

You're an Adam Gase fan/apologist.  Therefore, not allowed to have an opinion on Head Coaching in the NFL.

• Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, glenn31 said:

You sure you don't mean Walt Michaels?

I'd put both Walton and Michaels above Rex, for sure.  IMO the best teams in Jets history were the following:

1. '69 Jets (Weeb)
  2. '98 Jets (Parcells)
  3. '68 Jets (Weeb)
  4. '85 Jets (Walton)
  5. '82 Jets (Michaels)
  6. 2009 Jets (Ryan)
  7. '81 Jets (Michaels)
  8. 2010 Jets (Ryan)

Walton having team # 4 puts him above Michaels for me, but its close.  

1. Weeb
  2. Parcells
  3. Walton
  4. Michaels
  5. Rex Ryan
  6. Mangini
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JiF said:

He developed Tyrod Taylor and moved on from EJ Manuel

False.  Greg Roman did.  Rex Ryan doesn't work with the offense at all.  The best decision Rex ever made as a HC was hiring Greg Roman.  And then he fired him after less than 20 games, lol.

You can't simultaneously excuse Rex for Mark Sanchez and yet credit him for Tyrod Taylor.  If he developed Tyrod then he also "ruined" Mark Sanchez. 

The truth is he actually had nothing to do with Sanchez OR Tyrod Taylor.  Rex Ryan's role was to run the defense and the D in Buffalo went from top 5 under Jim Schwartz in 2014 to ranking outside of the top 20 in both the 2015 and '16 seasons.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, rangerous said:

I will definitely become a Bills fan if they bring that idiot back!

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

False.  Greg Roman did.  Rex Ryan doesn't work with the offense at all.  The best decision Rex ever made as a HC was hiring Greg Roman.  And then he fired him after less than 20 games, lol.

You can't simultaneously excuse Rex for Mark Sanchez and yet credit him for Tyrod Taylor.  If he developed Tyrod then he also "ruined" Mark Sanchez. 

The truth is he actually had nothing to do with Sanchez OR Tyrod Taylor.  Rex Ryan's role was to run the defense and the D in Buffalo went from top 5 under Jim Schwartz in 2014 to ranking outside of the top 20 in both the 2015 and '16 seasons.

Rex Ryan is a Qb whisperer, he won more with less than any HC in the history of the modern era.

2 hours ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

In fairness, Rex tried turning a 4 - 3 Bills team into a 3 - 4 team IIRC.

Rex did not even get 2 full NFL seasons.

Rex 15 wins - 16 losses

McDermott 29 wins - 25 losses.

Rex goes 8 - 8 and 7 - 8 and get fired

McDermott goes 9 - 7 and 6 -10 and is a hero.

Rex had his faults, but he was also good to great in other areas. 

The defense was ranked top 5 under Jim Schwartz in 2014.

It was ranked outside of the top 20 under Rex Ryan in both 2015 and 2016.

If Rex couldn't take an excellent defense and keep them excellent, or even competent, then what good was he?  Rex was a dinosaur by 2015.  The league had figured him out.  It's why he hasn't gotten a HC job at the NFL OR collegiate level (he expressed interest in the U of Miami job in 2018 and never got an interview) since 2016.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What did he win?  I don't see any trophies on his resume as a HC.

And if he's this good, why couldn't he so much as get an interview with the U of Miami in 2018?

You owe the greatest years of your Jets fandom to Rex Ryan.  Bow down to his greatness.

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

You owe the greatest years of your Jets fandom to Rex Ryan.  Bow down to his greatness.

The greatest years of my Jets fandom were 1998 and 2002.  I was able to attend 2 home playoff games ('98 against JAX, '02 against Indy) those seasons.  Both victories.  We haven't hosted a playoff game since.

It was sure fun watching Mark Sanchez destroy our Super Bowl hopes on TV, though.  High Definition TV, baby!

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

The greatest years of my Jets fandom were 1998 and 2002.  I was able to attend 2 home playoff games those seasons.

You are a liar and everyone knows it.  So disgusting that you could sit here and lie to all your fellow Jets fans.