Tankathon Contenders

Just spit-balling but does it really matter, if we pick 1 or 2? Is there much of a drop-off if any, between Lawrence and Fields? If we can't develop Fields, then we were unlikely to do so with Lawrence. Douglas might prefer Fields for all we know. I guess it's better to have the first pick in later rounds for sure. 

I only see one possible win for the Jets (unlikely) and thats against the Chargers (who are 1-4) but beating Jax right now. And of course there's the week 17 game vs. the Pats where they may sit all their starters. But again, this team seems to lose to backups when the opposing team is well coached.

So who knows what will happen but the Jets definitely have the edge right now- not only record wise but as far as not playing competitively (ok so I'll admit this game against Buffalo was surprisingly competitive), not having the talent and having a pretty tough schedule going forward where I just can't see any wins.  

9 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

What a shame the Giants and Falcons blew it so bad. and Minnesota had Seattle beat a few weeks ago 

There have been countless, countless games all these bums have just given away in the last seconds. I’ve never seen anything like it. What the hell is going on out there!

• Upvote 1

Mods please merge this thread with the similar rock bottom one. Here is my post from that thread with some interesting insights. 

many of these teams play vs. each other so invariably they will win a game despite themselves. 

Falcons play Chargers & Broncos.
Bengals play Wash, Giants, Texans & Cowboys
Broncos play Chargers 2x & Falcons  
Texans play Jags, Pats & Bengals.  
Jags play Texans & Vikings  
Chargers play Broncos 2X, Jets, Pats, Falcons     

Vikings play Jags & Cowboys   
Pats play Jets 2X, Texans & Chargers    
Giants play Wash, Eagles, Cowboys & Bengals

Wash play Giants, Bengals, Cowboys, Eagles

Jets play Pats 2X & Chargers

While All these 2 & 1 win teams are bad, most have played very very close games and were quite competitive. At most, I can’t see the Jets win more than 2 games, if any.  I’ve seen many of them play so let’s eliminate some based on schedule vs. each other and their overall play and that they wIll win at least 3 games. Wash, Chargers, Falcons, Broncos, Bengals (2+ tie), Giants, Cowboys, Vikings

Most of these teams also have some winnable games vs. teams with poor records as well.  

So I believe the Texans & Jags are our biggest threat to getting the #1 pick. Texans have the lighter schedule and they have Watson so let’s eliminate them. That leaves the Jags whose schedule is BRUTAL. They have 3 possible wins left: Texans, Browns & Vikings. 

If both the Jets and Jags finish with 2 wins, not sure who’d get the #1 pick but it’s quite possible we end up tied with them with either 1 or 2 wins. 

4 hours ago, Gangrene said:

New England appear to be a two win team almost six games completed into their NFL  season. Their current butt-getting-kicked at the hands of San Francisco feels familiar to the Jets experience early in the season.

Is anyone concerned that we may fall backwards into a win against New England?

Yes

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Jags, Falcons, Giants are the biggest threats IMO. In that order.

Somehow, I think the Jets end up picking third this year. It’s what we seem to do. We always pick third. It’s what got Darnold here. It’s why we ended up with Quinnen instead of Nick Bosa. It would unfortunately be the reason we miss out on the only two quarterbacks worth taking instead of keeping Darnold. (I am not a Trey Lance guy.)

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Is it too much to ask for a tie between Dallas and Philadelphia next week?

I'm thinking Andy Dalton misses next weeks because of percussion protocols...I don't think Dallas will hang with Philadelphia with Ben DeNucci behind center

17 hours ago, Gangrene said:

New England appear to be a two win team almost six games completed into their NFL  season. Their current butt-getting-kicked at the hands of San Francisco feels familiar to the Jets experience early in the season.

Is anyone concerned that we may fall backwards into a win against New England?

Belichick has a plan in place to ruin the Jets tank and he will likely succeed.  There is no end to his vindictiveness.   Jets will win either 11/9 or 1/3 or both.  Done deal.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Heard last night that ATL has lost 2 games this year where they eventually held a 98%+ win percentage during the games. There's no way they can keep that up so hopefully they fall out of contention for the #1. 

Yep...they were up big against Dallas and then this happened:

Cowboys are the biggest threat. The Falcons, though they play hard, they have motivation to tank because they will be in salary cap hell next year and need to move some of their vets. Getting rid of Ryan would help tremendously. So keep your eye on them as well.

18 hours ago, K_O_Brien said:

Just spit-balling but does it really matter, if we pick 1 or 2? Is there much of a drop-off if any, between Lawrence and Fields? If we can't develop Fields, then we were unlikely to do so with Lawrence. Douglas might prefer Fields for all we know. I guess it's better to have the first pick in later rounds for sure. 

OH HELL YEAH there is a massive gap between Lawrence and Fields.

18 hours ago, K_O_Brien said:

Yes...it matters a whole lot. That's like asking does having a brand new Tesla with no miles is any different from having an used Audi. A team can get a boatload of picks for trading the no. 2 overall pick so just imagine if a team trades the no. 1 overall pick. Also, food for thought, Lawrence is probably a slam dunk pick and the Jets are terrible at grooming prospects so if Fields need to grow into the position, do we really trust the Jets to groom him into a stud NFL QB?