Sam has one weakness IMO

I still say that, in a couple of years, we're going to look back at this thread and people are going to be surprised at how negatively they thought of Sam and that "if we ever get a chance at a guy with his talent again, we promise we'll be more patient".

That said, I'm 100% for taking Trevor Lawrence if we're in position to.

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Thank goodness he's not!  Could you imagine having to endure watching that type of offense ever again?!  Everything was a 2 yard pass.  13 play drives resulting in a FG.  A guy who could beat crappy teams but then get brutalized by good ones.

Chad was awful!

Still the best Jets QB of the last 25 years

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

Pressure up the middle. He needs a great center and guard combo. Mad Scientist Bill B showcased to the league how to go after Sam. 
I don’t know why he doesn’t get the hell out of there more. He stays in pocket too long, he’s too courageous, and bad things happen. Impacts his accuracy. His velocity. Increases fumbles. Let alone sacks. 
He needs to run 5-10 times a game with this offense and personnel. Jets have no one established but Crowder since letting Bell go. Maybe Mims and Perrine work out but too early. My question is why don’t Coaches know this and design plays for this?? Why the hell not?? Same route trees. Sam stays in pocket. Pocket collapses. Bad sh*t happens. 
I put a lot on Sam here at this stage of his career. But I put at least equal blame on play calling and design. He rolls out and runs magic happens. Without question.

They are supposed to use the hot receiver/route for that to unload quickly and to further slow down blitzing screens and draws. All football 101.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

At least for now, I'll add Herbert and Kyler Murray.

Also very good players. But different.

Burrow, to me, watching the way he approaches the LOS... scanning and gathering information on the defense, pre-snap reads, anticipation, how quickly he processes the defensive movements...

Burrow looks like PFM.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I still say that, in a couple of years, we're going to look back at this thread and people are going to be surprised at how negatively they thought of Sam and that "if we ever get a chance at a guy with his talent again, we promise we'll be more patient".

This is it. You've nailed it. The problem with the Jets is that their fans are not sufficiently patient with bad quarterbacks.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

This is it. You've nailed it. The problem with the Jets is that their fans are not sufficiently patient with bad quarterbacks.

It's not about the fans.  Ultimately Joe D will make the decision.  I'm just saying that I think Sam is far better than many on here are giving him credit for and we're judging him way too quickly, given the circumstances (our sh*t coaching, OL, weapons, etc).  If he were in a better situation that would be one thing.  But he's in the worst situation in the league, by far, and we're complaining that he hasn't figured everything out by himself already by age 23.  

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's not about the fans.  Ultimately Joe D will make the decision.  I'm just saying that I think Sam is far better than many on here are giving him credit for and we're judging him way too quickly, given the circumstances (our sh*t coaching, OL, weapons, etc).  If he were in a better situation that would be one thing.  But he's in the worst situation in the league, by far, and we're complaining that he hasn't figured everything out by himself already by age 23.  

i don't expect him to be the best QB in the league but he looks completely incompetent on the field and has for a long time(this does not factor in that he always seems to get banged up).

When you have guys like Burrow, Minshew, Murray and Herbert come in with way less experience and at least look the part - it's concerning.

To paraphrase Potter Stewart - when it comes to bad quarterbacking - I know it when I see it. Darnold's a bad quarterback.

1 minute ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

i don't expect him to be the best QB in the league but he looks completely incompetent on the field and has for a long time(this does not factor in that he always seems to get banged up).

When you have guys like Burrow, Minshew, Murray and Herbert come in with way less experience and at least look the part - it's concerning.

To paraphrase Potter Stewart - when it comes to bad quarterbacking - I know it when I see it. Darnold's a bad quarterback.

I disagree with you (and many on here) on this topic but maybe I'll be proven wrong.  It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

4 minutes ago, Young Jetty said:

Sam doesnt even look like he loves the game of football. He gives me that Hackenberg lack of emotion vibe.

Hard to win when your QB and coach have the same nonchalant temperament. Next coach should be a passionate Rex Ryan type.

The biggest issue for me is the lack of adjustment to screens or misdirection when faced with overload pressure. That's definitely on Sam on one or two series, but yesterday it was a whole half and we kept dropping back Sam or snapping to a shot gun with our receivers running what seemed like longer routes (our RB who would normally leak around to be an underneath target was getting crushed by blitzers I noticed on several of those). 

I don't get the impression Sam is a Hackenberg or non-football passionate kid. I think he is a lunchpail kid, who is just shell shocked that nothing is working. He has to say the stuff he does in the presser because he gets the script, but his calling out the need to adjust to the opponents adjustments was the first time I've seen him reference something the coaching staff should have done during his weekly mea culpa. 

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Last Jet QB I saw with Darnold's  level of "happy feet" when pressure is coming was Ken O'Brien.  Only difference between Darnold and O'Brien, though, is that Obie could actually play at a high NFL level.  Darnold can't/never will.

O'Brien had Toon, Walker, Shuler, Mc Neil, Hector etc...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Say what you want about the team, they havent laid down, they play hard and try.  Theyre just in way over their heads

I  agree with this.  Talent level not that great but they do their best.  Trouble is Sam provides nothing.  Yesterday was a winnable game and he screwed it up.  Sure he throws a great pass here and there, but he cannot focus for long periods of time and cannot complete drives.  He is a scatterbrain very similar to Sanchez.

30 minutes ago, Young Jetty said:

Sam doesnt even look like he loves the game of football. He gives me that Hackenberg lack of emotion vibe.

Hard to win when your QB and coach have the same nonchalant temperament. Next coach should be a passionate Rex Ryan type.

Sam looks miserable.  He has carried that look since day one.  Has no trouble playing with his Shoney Big Boy haircut though.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That said, I'm 100% for taking Trevor Lawrence if we're in position to.

Way to go out on a limb ;)

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Sam stinks & the Coaching stinks. 

Where are the quick slants to offset blitz pressure? Blitz should have 2/3 quick outlets, the short flat behind the Blitz pressure, quick slant, or back shoulder to a spot on the sideline. 

That 2nd half was sickening. 4 total yards had to be another New York Jet NFL record in futility. 

Running the football would help. Problem is Beckton is the only one who can push people around. That would help. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'll be in the minority here and say that I think you're way off on this.

I was with you and had hoped it was a matter of coaching and or lack of skilled playmakers around him.  It's not, Sam lacks fire , he's like a robot playing QB . He can't read blitzes and doesn't make decisions quick enough - he's been David Carr-ed by the Jets. Its over time to move on. 

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

I think Sam could still be a fine QB if he were playing in a simpler system that was tailored to his strengths (specifically having him move around more). He also needs better players around him.

I agree, but not for us if we land Lawrence. Someday he'll have his Vinnie moment but he's not even close to as accurate as Vinnie was when he was on. Sam is really inconsistent. 

33 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I agree, but not for us if we land Lawrence. Someday he'll have his Vinnie moment but he's not even close to as accurate as Vinnie was when he was on. Sam is really inconsistent. 

For me its not so much the inconsistency, its the mental aspects of the game. No awareness of Blitzes , throwing into triple coverages , to the naked eye what looks like a lack of fire and leadership. How many times do you see Sam talking to his Wr's or even Oline on the sideline he just seems to sulk. I was willing to make excuses and question coaching/lack of playmakers but he makes the same types of mistakes over and over again. Time to cut bait  especially with Lawrence and Fields as targets in the next draft.   

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

Pressure up the middle. He needs a great center and guard combo. Mad Scientist Bill B showcased to the league how to go after Sam. 
I don’t know why he doesn’t get the hell out of there more. He stays in pocket too long, he’s too courageous, and bad things happen. Impacts his accuracy. His velocity. Increases fumbles. Let alone sacks. 
He needs to run 5-10 times a game with this offense and personnel. Jets have no one established but Crowder since letting Bell go. Maybe Mims and Perrine work out but too early. My question is why don’t Coaches know this and design plays for this?? Why the hell not?? Same route trees. Sam stays in pocket. Pocket collapses. Bad sh*t happens. 
I put a lot on Sam here at this stage of his career. But I put at least equal blame on play calling and design. He rolls out and runs magic happens. Without question.

Well I hate to say it but as long as we (consensus is we're trading Sam) have given up on Sam then we might as well try him as a QB/RB combo al la Allen.  I mean Sam's got those skills..... 

6 hours ago, extmenace said:

When the second half started, the bills made adjustments and had defenders waiting for him once he rolled out. The bills have a legit coaching staff that made adjustments. I am not sold on Josh Allen as a legit QB but the rest of that team and the coaching staff are legit. 

Well then shouldn't that have left a weakness elsewhere that could have been exploited?  I suppose it must so the question is who is the fail on, Sam or the CS or both?

14 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

Pressure up the middle. He needs a great center and guard combo.

That's a rough weakness to have with our roster the last few years. It'd be like Superman doing and agility drill with kryptonite cones. Regardless he's probably shot here,  time to move on again.  Whatever promise he might have had for a competent franchise was wasted.  I'm sure we'll win just enough to miss out on Lawrence by a pick also.