Jamal Adams suffered from depression while playing for Jets, “they do not want to win”

Rhg1084

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Maybe you should provide a flow chart so we can assess when the term is acceptable and insulting, according to you. This is getting confusing. Thanks.

I don’t find it insulting. I find it stupid. 

If you wanna find the difference between depression as a valid medical condition, being depressed as a reaction a stimulus, and being a whiny baby you can do that using google.com.

24 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I don’t find it insulting. I find it stupid. 

If you wanna find the difference between depression as a valid medical condition, being depressed as a reaction a stimulus, and being a whiny baby you can do that using google.com.

And to attribute Jamal Adams with knowingly providing an incorrect self-diagnosis under the DSM-5 with intent to harm or belittle -- rather than it just being a stupid and perhaps careless comment by a loudmouth -- is to be absurd.

I get that he's hated around here, but get a grip, folks. The fact that "depression" and "crazy" and "insane" are words that get thrown around in contexts other than the clinical is a societal issue. Not a Jamal Adams issue.

This is called gate keeping. Maybe 33 was depressed. Who are we to say he wasn't?

And to attribute Jamal Adams with knowingly providing an incorrect self-diagnosis under the DSM-5 with intent to harm or belittle -- rather than it just being a stupid and perhaps careless comment by a loudmouth -- is to be absurd.
I get that he's hated around here, but get a grip, folks. The fact that "depression" and "crazy" and "insane" are words that get thrown around in contexts other than the clinical is a societal issue. Not a Jamal Adams issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is called gate keeping. Maybe 33 was depressed. Who are we to say he wasn't?

@bitonti

I agree and can you explain to me why none of these so called JN "Mental Health Evaluation Experts" had an outrage about the word DEPRESSING being thrown out there like it was nothing within this thread title (and entire thread)? Where was the fake outrage and fake backlash, then?

So funny to me to see Jet fans now all of a sudden harping over the words of depressing/depressed but yet they were (all) absolute CRICKETS in their fake Depression criticism... Crazy to me actually. 

And their Jamal Adams ring leader @Jetsfan80 was quiet as a mouse (up until Jamal used the word that is) lololo

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Personally, my issue with it wasn’t Jamal using the term—Jamal is legitimately one of the dumbest athletes I’ve ever seen—my issue was with the packaging of the interview (by McFadden) as Adams discussing his battle with clinical depression. In fairness to Jamal himself, I don’t think he even went as far as to say he was clinically depressed, rather, that he was depressed in the colloquial sense. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

@bitonti

I agree and can you explain to me why none of these so called JN "Mental Health Evaluation Experts" had an outrage about the word DEPRESSING being thrown out there like it was nothing within this thread title (and entire thread)? Where was the fake outrage and fake backlash, then?

So funny to me to see Jet fans now all of a sudden harping over the words of depressing/depressed but yet they were (all) absolute CRICKETS in their fake Depression criticism... Crazy to me actually. 

And their Jamal Adams ring leader @Jetsfan80 was quiet as a mouse (up until Jamal used the word that is) lololo

Or why no one got called out for calling Brandon Marshall who has been actually diagnosed with an illness a psycho, nut job, etc. Gee I wonder why sufferers are reluctant to be more open.

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Jamal Adams brings up everyone getting happy about being 7-9 but Jamal Adams constantly claps and beats on his chest for making a tackle in a 37-10 blow out.

Great post but we have too many cheerleaders that think a 9-7 season is good.  A 10 win season gets half this board sexually excited even though we all know we haven't got the talent to win deep in the playoffs without a miracle.  The Johnsons bring this aire of lower than mediocrity to everything they touch.

• Haha 1

Confirms that hes a lying POS.  All at the same time, cant all be true

Claims he and his pops wanted him out of here

Claimed he wanted to be a Jet for life.

Claimed he wanted to be part of the turn around in NY

Claimed he was pissed because JD was taking calls about him

Claimed he was disrespected because he took those calls

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

@bitonti

The amount of words you've expended because you fundamentally lack the understanding of the difference between saying something is "depressing" and saying you "fought depression" is, frankly, astounding.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Oh for Christ sake. He isn't suffering from clinical depression, especially if he is no longer depressed being on the Seahawks and winning games. Does it mean he is ultra competitive and wants to badly win and losing makes him sick, yes it does but clinical depression is not about emotions, it is a freaking disease. If he had clinical depression, he would still have it now but instead of losing, something else would trigger it. 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Personally, my issue with it wasn’t Jamal using the term—Jamal is legitimately one of the dumbest athletes I’ve ever seen—my issue was with the packaging of the interview (by McFadden) as Adams discussing his battle with clinical depression. In fairness to Jamal himself, I don’t think he even went as far as to say he was clinically depressed, rather, that he was depressed in the colloquial sense. 

I don't know... He immediately pats himself on the back for saying it... "I'm man enough to say it."  That speaks to him believing his "depression" was a big deal and something others would shy away from talking about, rather than, "losing was upsetting," as nobody needs a pat on the back to admit that.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

Or why no one got called out for calling Brandon Marshall who has been actually diagnosed with an illness a psycho, nut job, etc. Gee I wonder why sufferers are reluctant to be more open.

Yes. I remember those days. It was absolutely disgusting to see Jet fans calling Brandon Marshall all different types of names. 

But now? They all of a sudden "care". 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Confirms that hes a lying POS.  All at the same time, cant all be true

Claims he and his pops wanted him out of here

Claimed he wanted to be a Jet for life.

Claimed he wanted to be part of the turn around in NY

Claimed he was pissed because JD was taking calls about him

Claimed he was disrespected because he took those calls

index.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fsteelturman.typepad.com%2Fphotos%2Funcategorized%2F2007%2F08%2F15%2Fballs_in_a_box_grow_a_pair_brass_an.gif&size=400x1000

• Haha 1

Thanks Dr. Where did you go to medical school? YouTube university?

Oh for Christ sake. He isn't suffering from clinical depression, especially if he is no longer depressed being on the Seahawks and winning games. Does it mean he is ultra competitive and wants to badly win and losing makes him sick, yes it does but clinical depression is not about emotions, it is a freaking disease. If he had clinical depression, he would still have it now but instead of losing, something else would trigger it. 

• Haha 2

Not going to badmouth Adams about this. If he's genuinely clinically depressed I hope he gets the help he needs. 

Would note though Maccagnan's 2 biggest draft picks appear to be guys temperamentally ill-suited to being big time NFL face of the franchise type players,and are playing badly. In Darnold's case, not playing at all. 

Simply the worst GM in any sport, ever. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is gross. Moving from one city to another doesn’t “cure” depression, as Jamal asserts in this clip. To try and play his comments off as admitting to a mental health crisis (instead of as whining) is disgusting and does a huge disservice to those who actually struggle with depression. 

I always say... If ya aint where ya are, then you are no place at all.  Everything in life is what you make of it.  If a person has a bad outlook, you can figure which way things will trend for that person.  You take yourself with you everywhere you go... Aint no runnin' away from "you" 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don't know... He immediately pats himself on the back for saying it... "I'm man enough to say it."  That speaks to him believing his "depression" was a big deal and something others would shy away from talking about, rather than, "losing was upsetting," as nobody needs a pat on the back to admit that.

I guess I’m giving him a pass because he’s just so stupid and egotistical that he’d turn anything into a opportunity to congratulate himself. It’s up to the corporate entity packaging the interview to frame it more responsibly. Some media type in Seattle should follow up with him and ask him about his alleged plight and if he’s seeking treatment, etc, presuming Jamal wants to be an advocate for mental health issues now

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Thanks Dr. Where did you go to medical school? YouTube university?

It's called having a close relative who suffers from clincal depression and is also bipolar big mouth. 

I also have one who is autistic so let me know if you have questions about that as well. 

• Haha 1

I haven’t even bothered to waste my time on his garbage but what he is saying is an insult to people who legitimately do suffer from depression.  

He is either bipolar or a narcissist.  Instead of dealing with the memes about his poor play in Seattle he changes the story to the Jets.  I really hope the Jaguars win a second game and the Jets go 1-15 and beat Seattle.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lot K Tailgaters said:

I haven’t even bothered to waste my time on his garbage but what he is saying is an insult to people who legitimately do suffer from depression.  

He is either bipolar or a narcissist.  Instead of dealing with the memes about his poor play in Seattle he changes the story to the Jets.  I really hope the Jaguars win a second game and the Jets go 1-15 and beat Seattle.  

This is sort of an insult to people who actually are bipolar.

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, jgb said:

I think if you go back and look at the Brandon Marshall posts, the period where he actually admitted to having bipolar disorder and chose to courageously discuss it in a productive, sober manner, he was exceedingly well-received and remains so to this day. There is no comparison to what Marshall went through to discuss the issue and the flippant way Adams co-opted the term as an excuse for being an a$$hole. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is gross. Moving from one city to another doesn’t “cure” depression, as Jamal asserts in this clip. To try and play his comments off as admitting to a mental health crisis (instead of as whining) is disgusting and does a huge disservice to those who actually struggle with depression. 

thats the first time you ever said anything thats valid. there is hope for u

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think if you go back and look at the Brandon Marshall posts, the period where he actually admitted to having bipolar disorder and chose to courageously discuss it in a productive, sober manner, he was exceedingly well-received and remains so to this day. There is no comparison to what Marshall went through to discuss the issue and the flippant way Adams co-opted the term as an excuse for being an a$$hole. 

Just want to be clear. So it's ok to call Brandon Marshall a head case but not okay for Jamal to say he suffered depression in -- perhaps -- an irresponsible way?

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I agree with your position.

Just now, jgb said:

Just want to be clear. So it's ok to call Brandon Marshall a head case but not okay for Jamal to say he suffered depression in -- perhaps -- an irresponsible way?

Were people calling Marshall a “head case” after he chose to share his struggle with bipolar disorder? 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Were people calling Marshall a “head case” after he chose to share his struggle with bipolar disorder? 

Sadly, yes. On this board. Don't remember the exact words but it was really disappointing. Granted, it was just a handful. Most of us do our best to be respectful in situations like this.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Except I didn’t mention Jamal in my post. In fact it was mostly a play on how these words get put out there without meaning or understanding. I meant that for society... and then I called Jamal a baby. 

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sadly, yes. On this board. Don't remember the exact words but it was really disappointing. Granted, it was just a handful. Most of us do our best to be respectful in situations like this.

Word. It’s kind of an arbitrary thing we do as a society—labelling people as “nuts” in a pejorative way—until they actually seek help and then we treat them as sympathetic, honorable figures. We do the same with substance abusers. 

• Post of the Week 1