How do we feel after the Sugar Bowl about the #2 pick?

Icer

With the #2 pick  

138 members have voted

1. 1. With the #2 pick

• Draft Justin Fields
    • Draft Zach Wilson
    • Draft Penei Sewell
    • Trade the Pick

No doubt the biggest winner last night was Douglas. He can take either QB that drops to #2 or trade that slot for a king's ransom 

No doubt the biggest loser last night was Darnold.  I'm not sure how JD can justify to the fans sticking with Sam after last night's LOSER threw for 400 yds

• Upvote 2

I feel like we are in the catbird's seat.  I leave it up to the experts (i.e., Joe Douglas and the new HC) to make the decision, but the opportunity to really improve this team in a meaningful way (just focusing on the draft here) is very realistic.  There seem to be three really outstanding QB prospects: Lawrence, Fields and Wilson.  I would be OK with any of them if JD and the coach were happy.  That's not to say that am absolutely sold on trading Sam Darnold.  Again, whatever JD and HC think is best.  We could keep Sam and trade the pick if we got an outstanding offer.  We could draft a QB (probably either Fields or Wilson) with the 2 pick and trade Sam.  I think we could get real quality for him.  A lot of teams should be interested.  I would like to concentrate on OL and WR in this draft but if they draft a solid Edge rusher or CB no complaint.  I know nothing revolutionary in this post.  Just airing my opinion and feeling good for a change.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dunnie said:

This was perfect for the jets .. Fields value just skyrocketed... trade the pick for a ransom ... fall back to 6-8 ... take Wilson.

Easiest decision ever.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

There’s no guarantee that you are getting Wilson at 6-8. Atlanta could easily take Wilson at 4, and if they don’t, a team could easily trade up for him.

I get what you want to do, but you are trying to have your cake and eat it too. We need a QB - if we like Wilson over everyone else, we have to take him at 2. We can’t play around. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

No doubt the biggest winner last night was Douglas. He can take either QB that drops to #2 or trade that slot for a king's ransom 

No doubt the biggest loser last night was Darnold.  I'm not sure how JD can justify to the fans sticking with Sam after last night's LOSER threw for 400 yds

I agree with  point one, point two not so much.  These college teams literally have more talent than the jets on the offensive side of the ball and better coaching than the jets.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

There’s no guarantee that you are getting Wilson at 6-8. Atlanta could easily take Wilson at 4, and if they don’t, a team could easily trade up for him.

I get what you want to do, but you are trying to have your cake and eat it too. We need a QB - if we like Wilson over everyone else, we have to take him at 2. We can’t play around. 

Even if the jets trade back to 4 they could lose out on both qbs, if the dolphins are picking at 3 and move back.  I think what will ultimately move the needle to pick a qb is the coaching search, since there’s going to be college coaches who want fields and/or Wilson to groom and won’t want to mess around with not getting their guy, esp. since the jets are not in the precarious position of having other qb needy teams pick ahead of them. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Even if the jets trade back to 4 they could lose out on both qbs, if the dolphins are picking at 3 and move back.  I think what will ultimately move the needle to pick a qb is the coaching search, since there’s going to be college coaches who want fields and/or Wilson to groom and won’t want to mess around with not getting their guy, esp. since the jets are not in the precarious position of having other qb needy teams pick ahead of them. 

Yep, agree completely.

let‘s not overthink this one.

• Upvote 1

Ranked order voting:

1. Sewell 2. Trade down

3. Fields

Although I have to respect the game he played last night; so I adjusted from 'hard pass' to 'distant 3rd choice'. Definitely showed heart coming back from that hit and throwing strikes. Actually thought he looked better after the injury. 

But I mean, goddam, that offensive line for Ohio State is what I want to emulate: the time Fields had, the holes they were opening. By contrast it looked like Trevor was under duress the entire game. 

13 hours ago, usanyj said:

We have to take a QB, it’s the most important position in sports. You have a chance to do just that and be brought into the contemporary NFL. I don’t see a head coach candidate not wanting to build with his guy. 
we have a lot of draft capital to build the team and a ton of cap space. Reset the qb clock and build it.

We did that 3 years ago, and about 10 years previous.

We also have to build a team around them on offense.  Until we do that, Peyton Manning doesn't change this team.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I agree with  point one, point two not so much.  These college teams literally have more talent than the jets on the offensive side of the ball and better coaching than the jets.

I kind of agree, but JD is going to be taking a huge career risk passing on either of these guys to give Sam another shot with better coaching and more weapons...

13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Of course everyone is going to pick Fields but Wilson is still the better prospect. He has a more NFL ready game in a lot of ways.

I think the more interesting thing really is that Lawrence looked VERY ordinary tonight. In fact he has looked ordinary in his last 3 big games. NFL talent evaluators are not dumb, it could really affect his draft ratings.

I'm not sure I buy that about Wilson.  Also, two torn labrums and listed at 210. Seems risky to me.

47 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I kind of agree, but JD is going to be taking a huge career risk passing on either of these guys to give Sam another shot with better coaching and more weapons...

He'd be taking a bigger career risk selecting a QB at 2. 

Definitely take the QB you think is better -- for me that's Fields in a slam dunk.

As much as Becton/Sewell would be awesome it's just such a luxury on a team with so many needs -- "stud LT" is one of the only positions on the team where we are in good shape.

Trading down would be a mistake, especially if you're doing so because you're rolling with Sam Darnold.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

He'd be taking a bigger career risk selecting a QB at 2. 

No he wouldn't. Taking Justin Fields in the "obvious" move. Going against the grain is what would be risky. If he trades down and Fields and/or Wilson turn into studs it will define his career. If he takes Fields and he busts, well, he did the obvious thing.

14 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Zach Wilson became the flavor of the UCF week. 

Justin Fields became the flavor of the draft after Clemson. 

You should update the poll and add...

D.) Fields goes #1 overall and NYJ gets Trevor Lawrence. 

That'll give you a more accurate reading on how we really feel...

Never gonna happen but man how awesome would that be.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

No he wouldn't. Taking Justin Fields in the "obvious" move. Going against the grain is what would be risky. If he trades down and Fields and/or Wilson turn into studs it will define his career. If he takes Fields and he busts, well, he did the obvious thing.

What grain? Fields had an legendary night. It's great for the kid and great for the value of the #2 pick in the draft. 

It's amazing how every year people get blinded by Bowl Game performances. 

Douglas will be judged by how well he builds this team, not if he passed on a QB that turns out to be good. 

The clock on his career w the Jets starts if he uses the #2 pick on a QB. He buys time if he trades out. 

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the only issue i saw with fields is his having a jamal adams style haircut.  in all seriousness he looked pretty good but one game is sort of meaningless.  the osu oline and dline dominated the game.  fields made throws that 99% of nfl qbs can make.

On the flip side, people held two games against him; his subpar play vs Indiana and Northwestern. If people are gonna be critical about those two games- can’t discount a prime time playoff win against Clemson. 

Also I’ve read all season Fields deep ball accuracy is legit and it showed last night. I don’t believe 99% of nfl QBs make those on the money deep throws

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Ranked order voting:

1. Sewell 2. Trade down

3. Fields

Although I have to respect the game he played last night; so I adjusted from 'hard pass' to 'distant 3rd choice'. Definitely showed heart coming back from that hit and throwing strikes. Actually thought he looked better after the injury. 

But I mean, goddam, that offensive line for Ohio State is what I want to emulate: the time Fields had, the holes they were opening. By contrast it looked like Trevor was under duress the entire game. 

Yeah so instead of taking a RT at 2. Let’s take a QB and a OL in the first. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, y2k8 said:

What grain? Fields had an legendary night. It's great for the kid and great for the value of the #2 pick in the draft. 

Douglas will be judged by how well he builds this team, not if he passed on a QB that turns out to be good. 

The clock on his career w the Jets starts if he uses the #2 pick on a QB. He buys time if he trades out. 

Eventually JD has to draft a QB unless you think Sam is the answer and your willing to roll the dice, lock into $25m 5th year option a year from now and start thinking about a huge Sam contract. 

3 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

On the flip side, people held two games against him; his subpar play vs Indiana and Northwestern. If people are gonna be critical about those two games- can’t discount a prime time playoff win against Clemson. 

Also I’ve read all season Fields deep ball accuracy is legit and it showed last night. I don’t believe 99% of nfl QBs make those on the money deep throws

okay, maybe 99% is a stretch but the point is that the guys in the nfl just about all have good deep ball accuracy when given the time and the receiver that fields had.  we don't necessarily see such throws because not many qbs are patient enough or play on teams that can get single coverage and a step or two on the db.

Just now, rangerous said:

okay, maybe 99% is a stretch but the point is that the guys in the nfl just about all have good deep ball accuracy when given the time and the receiver that fields had.  we don't necessarily see such throws because not many qbs are patient enough or play on teams that can get single coverage and a step or two on the db.

Listen I liked Sam since Day 1. I’ve watched every game and listen to him face the music every week on the Michael Kay show. I root for him.  I’m no scout but from what I’ve seen over 3 years I wouldn’t call him a good deep ball passer. 

I haven’t seen every game of Fields career but I’ve read his deep ball numbers are top notch and last night he showed it.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

This might be correct, maybe, but Douglas will just get killed by the fan base and the pundits.

All of us have short memories. If Mac Jones outplays Fields. He'll be the flavor of the week. One thing we know for sure, is that Darnold will be working with more talent around him. One year deal with Perriman. Thank god.

52 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

The risky move is going against the consensus. Regardless of what you think of Fields a QB needy team passing on the projected #2 pick is risky. 

Fields looks like a rich man's version of Dak Prescott.  

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

the only issue i saw with fields is his having a jamal adams style haircut.  in all seriousness he looked pretty good but one game is sort of meaningless.  the osu oline and dline dominated the game.  fields made throws that 99% of nfl qbs can make.

house party dancing GIF