What Was Darnold's #1 Shortcoming/Flaw?

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Sam has shown flaws in just about every aspect of his game. I will say though that over the past few games he has stopped (for the most part) throwing off his back foot and he has stepped up into the pocket more than I have ever seen him do so. He has shown improvement in the mechanics I was tearing him apart for but and its a big but he still makes terrible mistakes and he has shown no improvement in his ability to understand the game and after 3 years that's really concerning.

So I would have to say his most tragic flaw is his lack of ability to progress through a play at the speed needed to succeed in the NFL and sorry but that's not teachable.

one vote for: proper play progression.

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

For me this is easy.  From almost day one, I saw that he panics quickly and has difficulty reading coverages.  It's what explains the large number of mind-numbingly bad throws he's made that wound up as INTs or pick 6s.

Panics.

Can't read coverage.

Check and check.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

For me this is easy.  From almost day one, I saw that he panics quickly and has difficulty reading coverages.  It's what explains the large number of mind-numbingly bad throws he's made that wound up as INTs or pick 6s.

was he worse at this than Sanchez? 

Inability to read and diagnose defenses. At USC most of  his production came while on the run and on improvised plays. At that level he was able to get away the freelancing. 

I think his physical attributes are fine but he never became a student of the game. He constantly has made the same mental mistakes over and over. Some team will think they can fix him and have him perform in a traditional offense . I pray that team is not us. 

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Inability to read and diagnose defenses. At USC most of  his production came while on the run and on improvised plays. At that level he was able to get away the freelancing. 

I think his physical attributes are fine but he never became a student of the game. He constantly has made the same mental mistakes over and over. Some team will think they can fix him and have him perform in a traditional offense . I pray that team is not us. 

Read defenses.

Check.

Just now, southtown24th said:

was he worse at this than Sanchez? 

I would need to look at the stats.  But on face value?  Yes.  

But Sanchez, Geno and Darnold have broken the bank on the number of INTs/pick 6s.  As an NFL fan from the 60s, I literally have never seen so many INTs/pick 6s.  It's like they were trying yo do it.

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

maybe he is just dumb? like honestly?

12 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I've sort of racked my brain...

I am no peewee football wannabe Belichick rolling around in my team sweatpants all weekend at the local bagel shop on Long Island--you know the type--always has a whistle around the neck.

Tell me: out of ALL of Sam Darnold's flaws, what was his #1 most tragic flaw?

What was Sam Darnold's #1 "achilles heel" in his game?

Sum it up in one sentence of less.  No diatribes.

Lack of accuracy and interceptions was pretty obvious as his largest risk factor.   

Lol, I still recall the Homers in the first few years saying he had "elite" accuracy while posting a sub-60% completion rate and a near 1:1 TD:INT ratio.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

To elaborate. He doesn’t want to be the best QB in the NFL bad enough, or maybe at all. Without that dictating your every act, every day of the year, success as an NFL QB is not possible. 

and your evidence to support this...is...what?

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

His feet, his vision, he can’t read defenses and with all that he has neither an elite arm  nor athleticism to overcome the basics. Oh yeah he also doesn’t play with any confidence.

too many things

you have to pick one.

which one is it?

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I would need to look at the stats.  But on face value?  Yes.  

But Sanchez, Geno and Darnold have broken the bank on the number of INTs/pick 6s.  As an NFL fan from the 60s, I literally have never seen so many INTs/pick 6s.  It's like they were trying yo do it.

hahahahahaha

you're so right.

it's all we know as Jets fans at this point.

• Sympathy 1

His ability to read the field and make good decisions under pressure is very poor for an NFL QB. 

My sense is that he lacks confidence. My wife has commented several times that he always looks nervous and I think that is very telling and jives with his panicky/frenetic play. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

His ability to read the field and make good decisions under pressure is very poor for an NFL QB. 

My sense is that he lacks confidence. My wife has commented several times that he always looks nervous and I think that is very telling and jives with his panicky/frenetic play. 

interesting.

nervous and panicky.

I see it.

#1 is he didn't want it. You want to know why Allen got better every season and Darnold didn't? Allen would cut off a limb to win. Allen went into the offseason and said he was going to fix his long ball and he did it. Allen legit said he worked on improving his personality because it was something a coach told him was needed to be a great QB. He worked on his personality...how do you even do that? 

Darnold is tissue soft. He needed to work. All day, every day. He didn't.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Can you elaborate?

In my opinion, which isn't worth a lot, he just never was able to process 2 things.

1. When the play was lost and to just take a sack/or throw away.  He seemed to struggle with this more his first two seasons than this year, but is still an issue.  He just always forced things when it was wise not to be.  There was a quote from Belichick about his punt returner on today's telecast.  He said he's aggressive not reckless.  That's a fine line. Darnold us reckless.

2.  He couldn't process what defenses were trying to do to him coverage-wise.  I think this actually got worse over time.  The 2nd pick today is a great example.  He sees a certain coverage pre-snap and just completely stops processing what's going on and throws directly to someone that should have easily been identified.  I never thought this was a huge issue last year, far more turnovers due to #1, but this year he just has no idea what's happening around him and where the ball should go as a result.

• Upvote 2

Bad decision making. He runs out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage, yet he sometimes throws the ball away on 3rd down when a sack is not the end of the world. Takes too many bad sacks. 

His inability to locate open receivers, or targeting the better option. 

He throws too many inexcusable interceptions. His interceptions are not from tipped passes. They are "who the hell were you throwing to?" interceptions.

He almost NEVER pulls someone offsides with a hard count. Has he ever hard counted someone offsides?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Another vote for: vision.

11 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

another one for: vision of the field.

9 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

OK: he has no confidence.

one vote for confidence or lack thereof.

9 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

another one for: vision.

8 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

OK: one for "reading the defense" and responding accordingly.

Good one.

I feel like you should be keeping a poll for these responses.

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

#1 is he didn't want it. You want to know why Allen got better every season and Darnold didn't? Allen would cut off a limb to win. Allen went into the offseason and said he was going to fix his long ball and he did it. Allen legit said he worked on improving his personality because it was something a coach told him was needed to be a great QB. He worked on his personality...how do you even do that? 

Darnold is tissue soft. He needed to work. All day, every day. He didn't.

I get this...I get it.

But PROVE IT!

The game is too fast for him. He can't process what he sees fast enough.

He doesn't know where pressure is coming from.

He stays in the pocket when he should run, and runs when he should stay.

On top of all that, he throws some of the most mind boggling interceptions.

Just now, slimjasi said:

Yeah I think it’s pretty obvious.