Alabama WR DeVonta Smith 2020 Heisman Trophy Winner Quinnen Williams Approves

18 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

hard to say what'll bcome of him/....  ruggs was alnost nonexistent w/ 26 catches...

jeudy had 52 cand 10 drops...

Ruggs has been off/on with injuries and I have a feeling he’s going to hav to learn how to fight thru press and come off his release quicker. Ruggs has some things he needs to iron out in route running. He doesn’t know how to consistently get off and gain separation against NFL corners yet — Jeudy looks alright..he needs a QB. Regardless, he’s been some what of a disappointment to me.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ruggs has been off/on with injuries and I have a feeling he’s going to hav to learn how to fight thru press and come off his release quicker. Ruggs has some things he needs to iron out in route running. He doesn’t know how to consistently get off and gain separation against NFL corners yet — Jeudy looks alright..he needs a QB. Regardless, he’s been some what of a disappointment to me.

i gotcha. and i aint tryna slam those guys... ima bama fan so, i pay attention to the guys that come out,,,,

davonta isthe smallest ofthese 3 guys...   it'll be an interesting follow. 

jeudy dos neda better qb but 52 cayches and 10 drops? thats a sh*tty ratio.

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

i gotcha. and i aint tryna slam those guys... ima bama fan so, i pay attention to the guys that come out,,,,

davonta isthe smallest ofthese 3 guys...   it'll be an interesting follow. 

jeudy dos neda better qb but 52 cayches and 10 drops? thats a sh*tty ratio.

Agreed on Jeudy. I thought he would come out and automatically get open the majority of the time because of how polished he was in route running before entering the draft. Just seemed like a better Crowder. Someone who can find those soft spots in the coverage naturally. Doesn’t seem to be the case though. 

I’m a little worried that someone picking Smith so high will be getting a guy who is strictly limited to playing slot because of his frame. He’s a very natural receiver and I think he’s the most talented of the three but his frame does concern me — and I’m not even one of those guys that care about frame too much but it’s hard to ignore in this case.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Agreed on Jeudy. I thought he would come out and automatically get open the majority of the time because of how polished he was in route running before entering the draft. Just seemed like a better Crowder. Someone who can find those soft spots in the coverage naturally. Doesn’t seem to be the case though. 

I’m a little worried that someone picking Smith so high will be getting a guy who is strictly limited to playing slot because of his frame. He’s a very natural receiver and I think he’s the most talented of the three but his frame does concern me — and I’m not even one of those guys that care about frame too much but it’s hard to ignore in this case.

imean,cole beasly weigh the same...  but he's 5" shorter....

me too on the frame thing...       he gives me pause, as they say...

i am very wary of talking about route running cos i dont think that most fans have THAT good a grip on it.

i'd have to watch bunches of guys run the same routes and compare to be able to form some kind of opinion. 

seems to me most folks just repeat something someone else said. 

JN beat Robbo to death about route running. This year he's top 10 in catches and top 15 yards. not bad for a guy who cant run routes?

anyway...  he's the same heihght as jeudy at 6'1" but 20 lbs lighter...   wonder if he can dealwith CBs pressing him on the line...  or is his feet too quick for them to do that effectivley???

an interesting follow for sure.

• Upvote 1

I fear the fins drafting him at 3...

I don’t love the qbs this year (what do I know) I wouldn’t hate grabbing Smith at 2 and Wyatt Davis with Seattle’s pick. Sign Arob and let Sam and Morgan fight it out. 

I know I’m in the minority, I just think Smith is going to be special. 

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

i am very wary of talking about route running cos i dont think that most fans have THAT good a grip on it.

i'd have to watch bunches of guys run the same routes and compare to be able to form some kind of opinion. 

JN beat Robbo to death about route running. This year he's top 10 in catches and top 15 yards. not bad for a guy who cant run routes?

anyway...  he's the same heihght as jeudy at 6'1" but 20 lbs lighter...   wonder if he can dealwith CBs pressing him on the line...  or is his feet too quick for them to do that effectivley???

Punctuation is your friend. Capital letters aren't harmful either 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 7:04 AM, Patriot Killa said:

yep, he looks kind of slim but it didn't stop him from getting right back up when knocked down.  that was one of the knocks on robbie and he's been pretty injury free.

On 1/5/2021 at 9:05 PM, k-met57 said:

Him Chase or the OT from Oregon will be Jets @ 2 

44 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

#2 pick NY Jets 

I still think the Jets take a QB at #2. Maybe they move down to #3 with Miami. Miami take Sewell at #2 and Jets still get their QB at #3 having squeezed an extra pick out of Miami. The Jets are not passing up this opportunity to take a potential Franchise QB with a new coach coming in and a ton of cap space this early on in JD's tenure. They may not have another chance like this in years. They already have plenty of draft capitol to build a supporting cast. 

Just cuz Smith won the Heisman its not going to suddenly vault him into the top 5. Frankly, the Heisman doesn't really matter when it comes to scouting for the NFL. The combine matters way more. Chase is still the top WR. If he runs well at the combine he will only solidify that position. I think if Bateman runs well at the combine he will shoot back up draft boards.  

On 1/6/2021 at 8:32 AM, Losmeister said:

Smith's speed and hands are Pro Bowl. But his size has to be a concern. Doesn't mean he won't be a great WR but it's a concern. 

Pending we don't trade our first round #2 pick. 

NFL Draft 2021: Quinnen Williams wants Jets to pass on QB at No. 2 and pick former Alabama teammate instead

Updated 6:17 AM; Today 6:09 AM 
New York Jets defensive tackle Quinnen Williams

New York Jets defensive lineman Quinnen Williams (95) wants GM Joe Douglas to use the No. 2 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft on a former Alabama teammate.AP

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

New York Jets defensive tackle Quinnen Williams knows the options general manager Joe Douglas has with the No. 2 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Behind door No. 1: Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields.

Behind door No. 2: Oregon offensive tackle Penei Sewell.

Behind door No. 3: Trade the pick and move down the draft board.

However Williams thinks there’s a fourth door which the Jets need to consider: Alabama wide receiver DeVonta Smith. Per TMZ:

“I’m wishin’!” Williams says. “I’m saying it right now, I’m wishin’! ... DeVonta Smith got that ‘Bama in him. We need someone with that. Man, he’s amazing. ... Any team that gets him -- not even the Jets -- any team that gets him they’ll be getting a dominant player. And, you can see that now. ... If we get him, he’s going to be a dynamic attribute for Sam (Darnold).”

In the interest of full disclosure, Williams was Smith’s teammate at Alabama.

But it’s hard to argue with Williams, the No. 3 pick overall in 2019. Smith won the Heisman Trophy Award and destroyed the record books with his performance against Ohio State in the College Football Playoff National Championship Game. Smith pulled in 12 receptions for 215 yards and three touchdowns, with all of his production coming in the first half of Alabama’s 52-24 win last week.