What would you trade for Deshaun Watson?

I would trade both Seattle 1's AND our 2023 1, but not the number 2 this year.

Then you trade back for the biggest haul you can find to try to replenish some of the cost.

As great as Watson is, he's already proven he can't win with a roster like the one we currently have.  Add in the fact he's takes up 1/3 of the cap, and it's too costly to include the #2 pick.   

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I would trade both Seattle 1's AND our 2023 1, but not the number 2 this year.

Then you trade back for the biggest haul you can find to try to replenish some of the cost.

As great as Watson is, he's already proven he can't win with a roster like the one we currently have.  Add in the fact he's takes up 1/3 of the cap, and it's too costly to include the #2 pick.   

He threw for 4,800 yards 33 TDs/7 INTs and had the highest QB rating in the AFC and 2nd in the NFL only behind Aaron Rodgers. All with the arguably best WR in the NFL being send to Arizona for a bucket of rattlesnake skin, the #23 ranked OL, and an abysmal run game (so much for the "weaponz" argument).

What exactly do you think he could've done more of to help his team win?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

JD looking to make a name for himself as a GM 

If there's a franchise QB available especially DeShaun Watson I fully expect him to try and acquire him. 

The QB stirs the drink we all know it and JD knows it. 

No way next year this team can fail as miserably as they did this year. 

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

He threw for 4,800 yards 33 TDs/7 INTs and had the highest QB rating in the AFC and 2nd in the NFL only behind Aaron Rodgers. All with the arguably best WR in the NFL being send to Arizona for a bucket of rattlesnake skin, the #23 ranked OL, and an abysmal run game (so much for the "weaponz" argument).

What exactly do you think he could've done more of to help his team win?

Yup, and that led to the number 3 pick in the draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

18 minutes ago, jgb said:

Makes no difference to the player. He gets it all immediately.

There is this guy named Revis.... Such short memories. 

"It feels like just yesterday we were on Revis Watch. Could we be headed there again?

Back in the summer of 2010, Darrelle Revis' 35-day holdout ultimately led to a front-loaded, four-year, $45 million contract for the New York Jets' perennial All-Pro cornerback.

That contract worked for everyone involved by paying Revis the type of cash he was after in the first two seasons ($32.5 million), while assuring the Jets they wouldn't go without their best defensive player."

https://www.nfl.com/news/darrelle-revis-unsure-if-he-ll-hold-out-from-jets-09000d5d8288a99f

4 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

There is this guy named Revis.... Such short memories. 

"It feels like just yesterday we were on Revis Watch. Could we be headed there again?

Back in the summer of 2010, Darrelle Revis' 35-day holdout ultimately led to a front-loaded, four-year, $45 million contract for the New York Jets' perennial All-Pro cornerback.

That contract worked for everyone involved by paying Revis the type of cash he was after in the first two seasons ($32.5 million), while assuring the Jets they wouldn't go without their best defensive player."

https://www.nfl.com/news/darrelle-revis-unsure-if-he-ll-hold-out-from-jets-09000d5d8288a99f

Again, if you sign a pro bowl QB this are the deals they get. I'm not making the rules. Your options are either avoid good QBs or pay the price. Will you be hoping Fields or whomever doesn't become a pro bowler because they we might have to pay him and he might turn into a bum after getting his money?

• WTF? 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A big part of the reason we have such a terrible roster is because we have no QB.  

Add Watson and suddenly everything about the roster would look better.  The OL would magically be "fixed".  The Jets would appear to have high-end or at least average weapons.  The coaching would look great.  Watson was great this season without Hopkins, after all.

Meanwhile, there would still be quite a lot of picks and cap dollars left over to build.  If Douglas is any good at his job, he'd be able to make it work surrounding Watson.

This kind of deal would be a no brainer for the Jets.  You do it in a heartbeat.

lol c’mon, you seem to be conveniently forgetting that he suddenly didn’t make anything better for Houston, who actually have some talent ....they won 4 games....he’s clearly not a difference maker

Matthew Stafford 2.0 ....no thanks 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

2 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

lol c’mon, you seem to be conveniently forgetting that he suddenly didn’t make anything better for Houston, who actually have some talent ....they won 4 games....he’s clearly not a difference maker

Man, the hot takes around here lately make flat earth look like a model of rational thoughts.

Funny thing is a lot of people who are say Watson is overrated because the Texas only won 4 games, think Darnold can still flower into a FQB. It's an abject loss of objectivity.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

No other QB would have really done much better than that. 

I love how some Jet fans want a QB, yet, when an elite one could be available, they claim he's Stafford 2.0 and not worth getting, lol. And no, he's not Stafford 2.0, he's a lot better than that.

Just now, jgb said:

What if I told you there is no such thing as an overpriced perennial pro bowl QB?

He’s going to want a crazy contract and the current team has way to many needs to be good in the next few years. If they can sign him for 10 years and not 4 like every player wants then it would be possible but still extremely hard to pull off. 

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He’s going to want a crazy contract and the current team has way to many needs to be good in the next few years. If they can sign him for 10 years and not 4 like every player wants then it would be possible but still extremely hard to pull off. 

If by some miracle he was available and we got him, you extend him and take as much of the signing bonus against 2021 as you can. It's gonna be hard to get $80M worth of FAs in one off season anyway, and we have no one on our team worthy of extension ATM. Or let his current contract ride (runs through 2026) and decide later.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

What was the point of his post?

I said Watson already proved he couldn't win with a roster like the one we currently have and he started spouting off his stats.

Maybe he missed the ENTIRE point? 

"Spouting off stats" lol.

I asked what do you think he could've done more to help his team win. You avoided that question, understandably since there is no response. He put up the best QB season in the AFC this year (by rating). And like a top 20 season ever.

• WTF? 1

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What if I told you that you could have a top five, 25 year old QB for the low-low cost of the second overall pick and Jamal Adams. 

Honestly, I'm not sure. My first thought might be "if it's such a great deal why are they offering it". How about the Seattle picks? I'd take a swing at him then. If the Texans are trading a young star QB it's because they need to not because they want to. Otherwise they can go into the season with a disgruntled QB which they probably don't want to do if they are looking to trade him. I might trade the 3 firsts provided I was sure I could sign the FAs I needed to complement him, otherwise it's a splash move for selling tickets with a small window for success. Though I'm still kind of feel like drafting a top QB prospect and using the other firsts to build the team around the QB.   

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Darnold, both firsts this year, next year’s first.

WhoAHHH there Fonzie, put those magic thumbs down now...

That's a bit too steep for Richie and the boys here.

Houston doesn't pick until round 3 (67th).  They need picks.  I would consider Seattle's pick and round two pick.  That is basically two picks on the top 35 plays. I am sure it would also take next years first as well. We could then trade down with number two and recoup a bunch of stuff we lose.

Are you hearing me JD?  

image.png.56144686ed69ee726a243c21c41094be.png

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

If by some miracle he was available and we got him, you extend him and take as much of the signing bonus against 2021 as you can. It's gonna be hard to get $80M worth of FAs in one off season anyway, and we have no one on our team worthy of extension ATM. Or let his current contract ride (runs through 2026) and decide later.

The issue I’d have with that is if he decides he wants more 3 or 4 years in and sits out or gets injured. 
They need to make injuries that end a career not count against the team in the future. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, jgb said:

Again, if you sign a pro bowl QB this are the deals they get. I'm not making the rules. Your options are either avoid good QBs or pay the price. Will you be hoping Fields or whomever doesn't become a pro bowler because they we might have to pay him and he might turn into a bum after getting his money?

I have no problem paying great proven QBs, particularly ones who aren't old. I questioned the logic posed suggesting that by paying a player with a front loaded contract which is a decade long (which is what the post I replied to initially suggested) that they'll be happy during the duration of the contract and the team will benefit from front loading it with a smaller cap number later on. I used Revis as an example of a player that took more money upfront and then held out for more when he got to the team friendly portion of the deal.  

24 minutes ago, jgb said:

Man, the hot takes around here lately make flat earth look like a model of rational thoughts.

Funny thing is a lot of people who are say Watson is overrated because the Texas only won 4 games, think Darnold can still flower into a FQB. It's an abject loss of objectivity.

It’s a fact that he only won 4 games....a fact

maybe the QB position isn’t the be all and end all....maybe it’s a team game...there’s a hot take for you.

and I have no idea what Darnold has to do with your response, maybe you are confusing me for another poster?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

No other QB would have really done much better than that. 

I love how some Jet fans want a QB, yet, when an elite one could be available, they claim he's Stafford 2.0 and not worth getting, lol. And no, he's not Stafford 2.0, he's a lot better than that.

So you are happy winning 3 games next year with a 40M QB?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DJF71 said:

Leave it to the Jets to not draft him in 2017 only to draft a safety instead who is no longer on the team. Then give away 3 second round draft picks for a QB that they are going to dump.  Then to trade three even higher draft picks for a QB they should have drafted with a $40M salary and then give him a roster worse than the one he asked to be traded from.  We are not in the position to trade away draft picks.  FA's rarely work out for us so we can't say lets just sign this guy or that guy.

this unfortunately is a summary of being a Jet fan for the last 5 years

27 minutes ago, jgb said:

"Spouting off stats" lol.

I asked what do you think he could've done more to help his team win. You avoided that question, understandably since there is no response. He put up the best QB season in the AFC this year (by rating). And like a top 20 season ever.

The guy led a poor team to the third pick in the draft.

What he produced is meaningless when he'll be on a team that's worse.

So you end up with a great quarterback eating up the cap and giving Houston top three picks for the foreseeable future.

It's a great way to rebuild the Texans. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

It’s a fact that he only won 4 games....a fact

maybe the QB position isn’t the be all and end all....maybe it’s a team game...there’s a hot take for you.

and I have no idea what Darnold has to do with your response, maybe you are confusing me for another poster?

Literally no one said that the QB position was the "be all end all" only that it's the most important position by a factor of at a minimum 5x (I'd go higher just trying to state things that 99% of fans agree with). The best deal in sport (not including rookie deals, obviously) is a legitimate franchise QB on a long term deal for "only" $30M, 40M, or even 50M a year.

Mahomes gets paid <2x Joey Bosa or Nuk Hopkins. Absurd value for money.

Watson only winning 4 games this year is a positive, not a negative. The 4-12 record is a reason the Texans could conceivably give him up, if they correctly recognise that even when Deshaun plays great, the rest of their entire roster is so putrid, they still can't win games. 

2 hours ago, jgb said:

"Don't bother taking the first step because the journey is too long."

And you accuse others of having a "SOJF loser mentality." lol

Once we opened 0-4 I was all for the first step, which was the 2020 season.  I am not sold that the second step, the 2021 season, is going to go smoothly.  We're going to wind up with Mr. Irrelevant as head coach, just as we always do, and Joe Douglas doesn't look like an Alpha male running roughshod in Florham Park either.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1